Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I wonder if Vader got different gear for when he filmed those "Boy Meets World" episodes,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vader was obviously a big dude and worked snug but was he ever regarded in the same breath as folks like Meng or Regal?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Vader was obviously a big dude and worked snug but was he ever regarded in the same breath as folks like Meng or Regal?

He nearly lost his eye against Stan Hansen and kept on truckin'

That said he also lost badly to Paul Orndorff in an actual fight

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That said he also lost badly to Paul Orndorff in an actual fight

I knew there was a backstage fight Vader was in that I was forgetting. Was Mr. Wonderful wearing flip flops at the time too?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Wasn't Paul Orndoff in insanely amazing shape? I could see him beating up even a guy like Vader.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Vader shoulder checked Orndoff in the showers when he walked by, Orndoff decked him and from all accounts would’ve stomped him into the hospital but as was said, he was wearing flip flops

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

forkboy84 posted:

I think he showered, it was just that he never washed his gear. Which isn't much better
This has always been my understanding. And it puts the many instances of his gear being on backwards in a different context because that totally sounds like something a guy who doesn't wash his gear would do thinking it would somehow be a solution.

Animal-Mother posted:

Stevie Ray claimed on his podcast that the chains were his idea and they were supposed to be broken, representing freedom and strength. They apparently didn't ever come out with the chains, but they did make an entrance with Colonel Rob Parker, but it was an accident. There was a miscommunication and he followed them out even though that wasn't the plan. Stevie says this story has been all twisted up over the years. His podcast is very entertaining.

But as far as racism in wrestling, that's the reason he gives for not going with Booker to the WWE. Booker doesn't mind doing comedy, but Stevie feels like it's too close to minstrelsy quite often.
I'm not sure I buy that, if just because Stevie brought it up as an example of racial discrimination when he sued WCW: "On one occasion, Plaintiff and his brother were led in chains into a match by a Caucasian performer whose stage name was Colonel Parker. This was extremely demeaning and derogatory as Colonel Parker was depicted as a Southern Plantation Owner and the Harlem Heat appeared as slaves."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

Wasn't Paul Orndoff in insanely amazing shape? I could see him beating up even a guy like Vader.

Yeah, I remember I think it was Foley saying Orndorff trained so hard that his arm where he had nerve damage was still smaller than his other arm it was actually stronger.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I know a wrestler who was the worst at washing gear, so they ended up getting popular enough that they constantly had new gear made and would change when it started to smell

Like that rapper who would buy underwear to wear once

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

stab posted:

I know a wrestler who was the worst at washing gear, so they ended up getting popular enough that they constantly had new gear made and would change when it started to smell

You can just say that it's Kevin, we all know

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I believe Orndorff was a badass. There's just something to that generation of carnie champions like Orndorff and Harley Race where it was just a given that if you hosed with them they would casually obliterate you. I wonder how much of it came from being trained by guys who would hurt you while in training before you got smartened up

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Probably a lot. If only in the that that a lot of the people who weren't like that wouldn't put up with it and would bail.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

In wrestling it seems like you have a lot of physically capable dudes but what sets them apart in a fight is who hesitates in a conflict. Vader was a super tough guy but he probably wasn't ready for Orndorff to casually gently caress him up over that shoulder bump.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, considering Vader legitimately cried after winning the Champion Carnival because he felt so appreciative that a company had given him his confidence back and who also started crying backstage after he broke that guy’s back or neck on a powerbomb (and his pinfall on him was the ref improvising as Vader was like “oh gently caress, oh god, you okay man?” and checking on him), the guy who when they showed the contract signing for the Inoki Final Countdown match they had at the Dome was almost hilariously respectful and deferent to a guy he was going to German so hard it made the loving Inoki memorial video almost thirty years later, and because Mick calls him a big teddy bear in his book, I have zero issues believing he would have trepidation and end up eating a punch and losing a fight in a situation like that. Meanwhile Orndorff is coming from a period in time where people are being offered six figures to try to shoot on people and break legs and end careers and poo poo, so he’s gonna be more hair-trigger on that sort of stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Dynamic Dudes are growing on me.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

stab posted:

I never ever washed my gear once. Granted I did wrestle in Dickies shorts and a cut up orange shirt. You could feel the mood in the room change when I brought out my knee and elbow pads, they stunk the worst.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

Was it Franky

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Not franky or kevin but he got a lot better with this once he got married

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've watched all but the Flair v Funk match for the Great American Bash '89. drat this a great pay per view.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm going into Survivor Series 93. Things are bleak, bleak indeed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you can never go wrong with the funkster

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
terry almost got his head kicked off by a horse during a very unwise wrestling match and isntead of stopping he punched the horse and called it stupid

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Flair v Funk match was good and the ending was good too. I think there is a clash or 2 before starrcade.

Is 1990 when stuff starts going off the rails?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terry almost got his head kicked off by a horse during a very unwise wrestling match and isntead of stopping he punched the horse and called it stupid

the greatest of all time. miss him

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Amazing he lived another 25 years after that.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Orndorff might have been a badass but he was no match for Gary Spivey!? Of the Psychic Companions Network!?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

The Flair v Funk match was good and the ending was good too. I think there is a clash or 2 before starrcade.

Starrcade 89 is pretty boring.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Starrcade is a weird, dull show for the most part, but not BAD. And even once the company starts falling off the rails as 1990 goes on, the PPVs still tend to be really good. (And there's always good stuff on TV to varying degrees.) The early post-Flair period is the first time where there's no real redeeming value to the bulk of the shows, but that only lasts a few months (July-mid November 1991). That, the peak of Hoganism in late 1994-the launch of Nitro in September 1995, and much of 1999-2000 are the periods where there's very little good to counterbalance the bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Starrcade 89 is pretty boring.

Did anything of note happen at that show? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

edogawa rando posted:

Did anything of note happen at that show? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
The first Steiners-Road Warriors match is a lot of fun, as is Sting-Luger. But Sting getting his first win over Flair is the only major happening on the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

The first Steiners-Road Warriors match is a lot of fun, as is Sting-Luger. But Sting getting his first win over Flair is the only major happening on the show.

Yeah, the Iron Man/Iron Team tournaments are a fun idea but not crammed all onto one show.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Putting this on loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eBmeH0MAmk

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao scuffed rear end Chase

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

You do have to look forward to the greatest wrestling commercial of all time playing on repeat for the beginning of 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCqcv5BOSLg

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alaois posted:

lmao scuffed rear end Chase

It's honestly pretty fascinating how we can go from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViN2bRGrBx8

to a "hey sound guy make us a legally distinct ripoff of The Chase we can use without paying for it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eBmeH0MAmk

to "hey sound guy make us a tribute entrance theme that sounds like that legally distinct ripoff from 40 years ago"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsNVcNvHH4

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's honestly pretty fascinating how we can go from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViN2bRGrBx8

I was today years old when I learned the Coast to Coast AM intro music is a Giorgio Moroder track. That rules. Thank you for sharing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here is Tommy Rich. Enjoy being bored

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I was today years old when I learned the Coast to Coast AM intro music is a Giorgio Moroder track. That rules. Thank you for sharing.

Its not only a Giorgio Moroder track, it was originally the theme of the film Midnight Express, which is why the tag team of the same name used it as entrance music

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Alaois posted:

Its not only a Giorgio Moroder track, it was originally the theme of the film Midnight Express, which is why the tag team of the same name used it as entrance music
Popular misconception, actually. The theme from Midnight Express is a different song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAg2sdiTLI

The song used by the MX as entrance music is "Chase," a different Moroder song from the Midnight Express soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpW3C_k0WMY

It gets its name from being the soundtrack to a chase scene, of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP-4EH45TxA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A friend calls the MX theme the most fun you can have with your Casio keyboard.