Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I used to almost always be photographing static things like landscapes, buildings, the odd posing adult, etc. I used aperture priority for this. Now I am trying to get shots of our children (sigh) and aperture priority just doesn't work for moving targets like this. So I'm using shutter priority now and having more success getting a sharp image. But what shutter speed is recommended for this kind of thing? I don't mean people are dashing around at top speed, just not necessarily holding still in indoor light.

I've been using 1/80 and it seems to be okay. The camera is a sony rx100 VA if that matters; it has some sort of stabilization I think. I suppose the slower the shutter I can get away with the lower ISO it will be able to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Image stabilization isn't really going to help with moving subjects. You'll just get sharp surroundings and a blurry kid.

1/80 is pretty optimistic IMO. I'd probably be using 1/250 or maybe 1/125 if there isn't a lot of movement.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
1/250 is the go to for moving subjects. If they’re running or something you might want to drop to 400.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I also recommend setting a maximum ISO at whatever level you are okay with, then letting auto ISO run

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

blue squares posted:

I also recommend setting a maximum ISO at whatever level you are okay with, then letting auto ISO run

That's exactly what I do shooting my dog. Shutter priority at 1/400, auto ISO with max ISO set to 25k or something. For birds I often go up to 1/800.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

blue squares posted:

Words of the wise 🦉

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For stationary subjects 1/60th is good, for moving I wouldn't do less than 1/200 unless you are okay with some motion blur, and even that is pushing it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Woah. 1/200 or faster makes for some grainy pics on this thing's tiny sensor. Maybe I need to turn on a light...

I was pretty happy with 1/100. They do look a wee bit soft but in a nice way.

Also lol at sony's hilariously bad menu system. I can probably set a max ISO somewhere but so far I haven't found that setting.

When you are reviewing a photo and press the zoom-in button once it zooms in all the way and you have to press the zoom-out button a bunch to get back. What a neat trick :rolleyes:. I hope there is a setting for it but again, so far I haven't found it.

edit: okay I found it, moved it down from 6400 to 5000 for now.

But I really am enjoying this camera more in the first few days than I ever did the ricoh gr iii. I know this makes me a bad person but I don't care any more.

other people fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 24, 2023

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023
i have embraced that kids are just blurry objects, the faster you make the shutter speed the faster they’ll move

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Every year i tell myself I should maybe start a new Lightroom catalog, but

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I keep the old catalog, but export vast chunks of crap to a new catalog every so often, zip that up, and send it to backup. Then delete those from the main catalog.

There's real value in learning to identify stuff you'll never process too, just delete and move on. No need to keep all 20 images from a sequence when you know only one is good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I use photo mechanic for that and don’t even copy the rest of the files to the hard drive. Not really necessary these days with compressed raw formats being so good, but still keeps things lean.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Shannow posted:

Every year i tell myself I should maybe start a new Lightroom catalog, but

2020 sucked for me too

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Jfc 94000 photos

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spray and pray works!

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Been a busy year, I do clubnights, usually giving 120-150 per night, so nearly 3x that actually taken to account for the one person in the group blinking/a light swinging round and washing out everyone faces, and this year more often than not im doing 3 nights a week.
What really gets the numbers up is before each clubnight im doing a live performance of some sort in an adjoining venue, on a Wednesday its a 2 and half hour drag show usually with 3 or 4 sets of 3-4 performers per night, I end up massively overshooting pretty much every time as I never really know when they about to do rip out some wild moves and disappear off the stage into the crowd where the spotlight isn't and it's about 4 stops darker.
Weekends I start in the lounge part of a venue where they have some cabaret acts on, chill if its just a singer, sometimes its a trio of burlesque performers so once again wildly overshooting as i have only a few minutes for each performance so always trying to make sure i get enough decent ones where both a pose and facial expression are working, which often, they are not.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
is lightroom still the go to editing software (on MacOS)? and what version is the least lovely? an old version, or the new pay per month poo poo? do people :filez: it because gently caress paying $10/month or more to adobe on principle

(currently using photos.app but its obviously not as good as lightroom)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
If I bought a cable to connect my camera to my android phone I believe it should just show up as a usb drive. Is there an app that will copy over the new photos with just a click or two?

The sony wireless app has a "nice" option to copy over all the photos with today's date which is neat, but if you run it twice in the same day it doesn't skip the photos that already exist on the phone which is very Dumb and a waste of time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got a little Christmas scratch that’s going towards the thread favorite Canon Selphy printer.

Merry Christmas dorkroom friends

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 25, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

nice! i picked one up myself about a week or two ago and finally got to messing with it the other day. super cool and def going to get some mileage from me for sending friends postcards and hanging some of my own stuff up here and there

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Got a little Christmas scratch that’s going towards the thread favorite Canon Selphy printer.

Merry Christmas dorkroom friends

Nice! I brought it to Christmas and everyone loved it

edit: seriously, its such a great printer

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 27, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

is lightroom still the go to editing software (on MacOS)? and what version is the least lovely? an old version, or the new pay per month poo poo? do people :filez: it because gently caress paying $10/month or more to adobe on principle

(currently using photos.app but its obviously not as good as lightroom)

While Adobe only advertise a 7-day trial, they'll actually give you a whole 2 months free when you try to cancel which is probably long enough to evaluate it for yourself.

I'm currently trying out Lightroom as an alternative to Canon's own DPP and while functionally I don't feel there's that much difference, the user experience is so much smoother. I'll still probably cancel when my free months are up, but it's been nice while I had it.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I just loving gave up on this. Seems like every solution is a shaky messy one, so I switched to Lightroom (not-Classic) for PC. It's nice as hell to just edit stuff, then pick up the iPad and keep on editing and everything's perfectly in sync all the time. Can import images on either and poo poo just works. Yeah I have to pay for cloud storage but it also means I can ditch the Backblaze subscription so that offsets a good chunk of it. I was near 1TB of images when I did the switch and a couple of days later I had it down to around 700GB. I think I can remove about half of that too, just never really sat down and gone through old poo poo so I have like 30 similar pictures of a particular bird and so on.

I can see Classic being needed still if you are a working pro with huge amounts of images shot at once but so far I can't really say it's been an issue for me. Culling an import is a bit slower but considering the advantages I think it's a pretty small price to pay. Plus Lightroom on the iPad is wicked fast and smooth (M1 pro).

Definitely not a pro, but have you arrived at a system that allows you to effectively tag people accurately? I had a family member pass away and the only reason I was able to get photos of him for the obit/program/slide show was because of a slight obsession with tagging older photos. I tried using LR Cloud on the iPad and apparently keywording multiple photos at once isn't possible.

My workflow is still 'dump photos from SD/CF to hard drive' > process keepers thru photomechanic, throw away poo poo that sucks > import the nice stuff into LR > tag and post-process from there.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Who did you kill to get the exact sort of junk I'd pay good money for for free??? I only shoot Soviet lenses currently, all East Germans tho (CZJ and MOG).

The Mir should shoot a fair bit like the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f/4 that I have. I think it may be partially a clone of that lens but slightly faster, but less sharp? Expect an angle so wide that the photograph feels very depersonalized. If you want your photos to feel 'alive', you will want to have an object pretty up close in focus, and that focusing distance is an insane like... 18cm on that I think (for how old it is, insane)? I know the Flektogon is like 16cm and that the Mir is not far off that (I considered that before buying the Flektogon).

For such an old, wide angle lens though, it is still rectilinear, so do not expect fish-eye like distortion. Infact, don't expect much distortion at all, unless you are playing with lines in horizons. It will definitely mess those up a bit and might need a touch here or there. It will also have a bit of CA, so expect to do some small amount of corrections.

Some shots from a Flektogon for a point of comparison so you have a sense of what it may look like...

This should give an impression of how 'straight' it should shoot, not much distortion there at all.

You can see some of the CA in the above image, on the wall as it touches the sky.

This one was taken maybe 20cm from the object in focus. It goes incredibly sharp - expect slightly less on the Mir, it is supposed to be the next best Soviet wide-angle for sharpness. As you can see though, sharpness does fall off at the edges - but centre sharpness is good.

Here is a sense of what happens if you try to take something at range tho - it gets an otherworldly and somewhat creepy quality to it imo. Gives me big paranoid vibes, because it is too depersonalised.

If anyone ever has questions about any CZJs or MOG lenses btw, try me. I read about em all the time, and own a bunch from 1959-1979 maybe.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 27, 2023

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

RillAkBea posted:

I'm currently trying out Lightroom as an alternative to Canon's own DPP and while functionally I don't feel there's that much difference, the user experience is so much smoother. I'll still probably cancel when my free months are up, but it's been nice while I had it.

I’m trying to learn Darktable and having a hell of a time. Every slider is described as “This module controls the collapse n-dimensional wavelets into a Gaussian scene-referenced RBG space”. Bro just tell me how to make pictures look as good as the in-camera JPEGS please?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I’m trying to learn Darktable and having a hell of a time. Every slider is described as “This module controls the collapse n-dimensional wavelets into a Gaussian scene-referenced RBG space”. Bro just tell me how to make pictures look as good as the in-camera JPEGS please?

I don't know Darktable but it looks like some open source nerds basically tried to copy/paste Lightroom so: shoot some images in raw+jpeg. Bring both into Darktable. Make whatever adjustments are needed (if it's like Lightroom the sliders are basically arranged in the order you should adjust them) until you get the raw file looking as much like the jpeg as possible. Save as preset. You might find that you want to have one preset for "general", one for "landscapes", one for "portraits" etc based on your experiments. Then apply said presets as needed after importing raw files in the future. It'll take some time but you will end up with presets that create a good baseline image to work further with.

If you want it to look just like the in-camera jpeg though, just shoot jpeg? There's no law saying you always need to shoot raw to be a "real" photographer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

More a rhetorical question than anything, but has the Adobe Photography pack really doubled in price to $20/mo? I bailed at $10/mo because I wasn't using it enough to warrant $100+ a year on it but thought I'd jump back in as I could probably eke that value now. I'm sorry, but $20/mo for people who aren't using it for generating income is just absurd and they can gently caress off.

e: ah it seems $20/mo is for the 1TB option and I couldn't see the regular one in the grid. I feel dumb and shall leave my shame up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You're not dumb, that's intentional and an epidemic of digital capitalism called "dark pattern" design.

For anyone annoyed at Adobe (for any number of valid reasons), if you go through the cancellation process they'll offer you big discounts to stay. It was 50% off for a few months last time I did it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, already went through that process before. They didn’t offer it the second time round after a few months at full price sadly.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

spray and pray works!

hell yeah brother

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

anyone with the canon selphy printer know if it does holiday card templates? can't find anything in the app

i could probably just do it in photoshop but i'm lazy

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I don't know Darktable but it looks like some open source nerds basically tried to copy/paste Lightroom

100% and the ui is horrendous. Can't find it now but on some photography blog there was an interview of the main developer and they basically said that there's 5 modules (tools) that can handle 99% of editing any photo but for some reason they have 50 and lot of them overlap. Why not hide the extra 45 modules behind some menu? No idea.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm sorry you're having a hard time but this sounds loving awesome and I can't wait to try it out when I get home.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

100% and the ui is horrendous. Can't find it now but on some photography blog there was an interview of the main developer and they basically said that there's 5 modules (tools) that can handle 99% of editing any photo but for some reason they have 50 and lot of them overlap. Why not hide the extra 45 modules behind some menu? No idea.

Maybe Adobe pays them to keep it bad on purpose

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They wouldn't need to, open source nerds are experts at crappy interfaces.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
if you are really desperate for an adobe alternative, just get affinity photo

it has ui

it does the things you need, albeit, differently

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Affinity Photo replaces PS, but not LR IMO

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Havana Affair posted:

Without any context here: you can do a whole lot of your editing with curves, but exposure/contrast/highlights/shadows/etc. are usually easier to deal with. Now you have 5 tools doing the work that 1 could do.

Repeat that a few times and it seems reasonable that you could do most of the image editing with a small amount of code. But then you have to build the user interface to make it possible for people to use. And that’s something that’s real easy to fuckup.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Splinter posted:

Affinity Photo replaces PS, but not LR IMO

the only thing it doesn't replace these days is image catalogues, V2 of Photo added a lot which I'm waiting to have money to get

they sort of keep adding stuff to it, so frequently that until V2 came out I had to hold off on updates just because they kept confusing my workflow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Another Person posted:

the only thing it doesn't replace these days is image catalogues, V2 of Photo added a lot which I'm waiting to have money to get

they sort of keep adding stuff to it, so frequently that until V2 came out I had to hold off on updates just because they kept confusing my workflow

I think the real issue is that most people got sucked into the Adobe LR system and now have decades of curated catalogues and have a near-lethal fear of migration- or that might just be me

Also that Canon Selphy printer is $40 bucks off all over the place which is awesome