Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

Then came 2020, and revelations of The Cans conveniently in a season where no fans would get the chance to let the Astros know how we felt about it, and of course no real consequences for them either. The first time the Dodgers faced the Astros that summer, Joe Kelly rose to the occasion. He throws at Bregman AND Correa, the first resulting in a walk and the second in a wild pitch that puts Bregman on 3rd. Then he strikes out Correa on a couple filthy breaking balls to end the inning. Correa gets big mad, yelling at him, which is what gifted us this exchange and a fantastic meme:

IIRC he wasn't mad about the cans he was mad because he felt the players had thrown Hinch under the bus

e: the best part of that was his wife going on Instagram and insisting he didn't throw at them on purpose, he just isn't a very good pitcher so he has no command

at least you've dropped the he wasn't throwing at them act

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.D. Mangles posted:

aren't the blue jays supposed to be in on bellinger???
Maybe? If I were them I would just re-sign Chapman

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't see any chance he goes to the Yankees. There's nowhere for him to play.

Correct, but if they don't sign Snell they're going to be desperate to sign the last marquee free agent available and try to sort it out later. it will be glorious.

Likelier they'll give Snell a hilariously huge contract though since they need another pitcher a lot more than they need another outfielder.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mcmagic posted:

This is mental gymnastics. The tax operates in reality like salary cap does in the NFL. If you found out that the Pats had been paying Tom Brady in some kind of side deal so that he would take a far under market value deal would that be super cool and fine?

The tax was created because nobody spent nearly as much as New York and Boston for the longest time.

Luxury tax discussion ITT is kind of funny, particularly you being against the fuckery of it, because the 'No Caps Ever, Give Players Billions' crowd here essentially idolizes George Steinbrenner for spending more money on salary than the team actually generated, using his shipbuilding company as a piggy bank to buy Everybody's Best Player. That's what I was referring to when I said that owners aren't going to go "full Howard Hughes", because Hughes was known for relying upon his family's reliably and wildly profitable oil drilling tool company to pay for huge debts racked up in aerospace and movie studios, because he had a huge boner for airplanes and movies and wasn't going to let something like "this business can't make money with how much we're spending" get in the way. Steinbrenner and possibly Ted Turner are the only people I know of who have gone full Hughes in baseball.

That's what people in this thread want, they want teams spending more money on players than they actually make because Rich Daddy is giving the business an interest free loan. It worked out well for New York, because it turns out being able to say "Twenty-Seven Fine World Championships" on the outside of your stadium raises the franchise value. (Although whether it raises it as efficiently or as dramatically as having huge ownership stakes in cable TV networks for the past few years is questionable, but the cable business is a dying albatross for ESPN and it will be for MLB teams soon as well.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Buying good players to build successful teams is what I'm after, not flushing money down the drain on fringe lovely players that will barely get airborne due to their size.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Adun posted:

As a Porsche Driving Athlete I just assume he has a set amount of free Porsches to give out every year and was getting to the end of the year without using up his allotment

has there actually been any sighthings of Ohtani driving a car? I am still skeptical that he even knows how yet

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

rickiep00h posted:

Buying good players to build successful teams is what I'm after, not flushing money down the drain on fringe lovely players that will barely get airborne due to their size.

The best position to be in, the one the Yankees were in not long ago, is the one where when your whole team of superstars gets injured your AAA team is capable of beating many MLB teams because they've been blocked by superstars for who knows how long.

Some years ago the Yankees came to San Francisco with an entire squad of unrecognizable minor league guys with no baseball cards and destroyed the Giants. No Judge, No Stanton, no problem. It turns out when your majors team is loaded with immovable contracts that you can have quite a talented farm system if you just draft well.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

no way Snell goes to the Yankees, he's not shaving his goatee

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

aren't the blue jays supposed to be in on bellinger???

Lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bellinger's whole deal is that he's content to hold out until spring training starts asking for an insane mega contract, figuring some team will eventually panic they've let too many pieces come off the board and give him like $300M. There are a lot of teams "in" on him but mostly in the sense that they're waiting for the price to come down.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sydin posted:

Bellinger's whole deal is that he's content to hold out until spring training starts asking for an insane mega contract, figuring some team will eventually panic they've let too many pieces come off the board and give him like $300M. There are a lot of teams "in" on him but mostly in the sense that they're waiting for the price to come down.

Hopefully the Twins and Guardians don't wait for Bellinger to trade their lefty bats.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ohtani had evidently gone full anime in that last WBC at-bat:

quote:

With two outs, the last batter he faced was Mike Trout, his colleague on the Angels.

Looking back on this scene, Otani laughed and said, ``Well, I thought it was either a strikeout or a home run.Trout also swung as hard as he could. I think it was an interesting game like that.''

Looking back, he said, ``A strikeout or a home run. Well, I guess that's all I need to decide. I thought it would be okay if I took that kind of leap of faith.''

E: full anime indeed

https://twitter.com/sponichibunsha/status/1639376796683767808

anakha fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 24, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Did someone say full anime Ohtani???

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mervis to the Mariners

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mariners signed Mitch Garver for 2 years, $24 million

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Wayne Knight posted:

Mervis to the Mariners

IT'S NOT OK TO SAY THINGS LIKE THIS

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In the spirit of the Holidays I will refrain from commenting on Wayne Knight's post

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Did someone say full anime Ohtani???

FullTungsten Smashing It

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Wayne Knight posted:

Mervis to the Mariners

Splash Mervis

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

maffew buildings posted:

IT'S NOT OK TO SAY THINGS LIKE THIS

Hosmer to the Mariners.

Now you're relieved :)

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

correa screaming at him THROW ME A FASTBALL BRO after getting struck out on a bunch of breaking balls is one of the funniest stupid baseball things. even pedro cerrano wouldn't yell that.

I liked the part where Correa says "if I'd hit a homerun..." like yeah dog, if you had hit a home run. If my cat had wheels she'd be an RC car.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chief McHeath posted:

I liked the part where Correa says "if I'd hit a homerun..." like yeah dog, if you had hit a home run. If my cat had wheels she'd be an RC car.

Doesn't the RC stand for Remote Controlled.

Do you control your cat with a remote?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Doesn't the RC stand for Remote Controlled.

Do you control your cat with a remote?

Do you not?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Do you not?

I do not control their cat with a remote, no

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Happy Rickey Henderson day to all who celebrate

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Happy Rickey Henderson day to all who celebrate

That's what's up, Rickey is the greatest of all time and it's always the best time of year to reflect on our favorite Rickey moments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_8GqJZJkI

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

That's what's up, Rickey is the greatest of all time and it's always the best time of year to reflect on our favorite Rickey moments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_8GqJZJkI

I love that Secret Base interrupted their own Dave Stieb documentary to spend 15 straight minutes detailing just how brutally Rickey Henderson clowned on the Blue Jays.

https://youtu.be/eaTCyQMyOu8?si=nEo91LjY_0IoETyO

Skip to about 18:00.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man, Rickey played in the wrong era, imagine how many fuckin wild stories never got told

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mariners signed Mitch Garver for 2 years, $24 million

good signing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shine posted:

I love that Secret Base interrupted their own Dave Stieb documentary to spend 15 straight minutes detailing just how brutally Rickey Henderson clowned on the Blue Jays.

My favorite part was Rickey tipping his helmet to the Toronto fans after getting picked off

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cubs announce Eric Hosmer Bobblehead Day

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cody Bells, Cody Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ding a ding, perfect swing
Soon it'll be signing day

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Shine posted:

That entire documentary is great and now through the power of science we can review the Cy Young and other awards winners of that time and see somehow the BBWAA is actually significantly less brain dumb now

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Cody Bells, Cody Bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ding a ding, perfect swing
Soon it'll be signing day

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

My favorite part was Rickey tipping his helmet to the Toronto fans after getting picked off

Yeah, that loving rules. Rickey was playing his usual mind game with the pitcher, he got caught slipping, he gave the crowd the touché they'd earned, and he moved on.

Those are the fun villains: the ones who get that part of showmanship is being willing to let the crowd have their little victories. Rickey's gonna get on base again, and Rickey's gonna run again. Whatchu gonna do, Reynolds? You ready for Rickey to run? Rickey's gonna go!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rickey's the kind of villain who can call the stolen base champ, tell them they disappointed him and hang up, and years later it's somehow one of the most endearing baseball stories ever. Rickey Henderson was the goddamn loving best.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I also like the story about him telling John Olerud "Rickey used to play with a guy in Toronto who wore a helmet in the field" not because it's true (it isn't) and not because it's believable because Rickey was that dumb (he was a space cadet but he remembered everything), but because it's completely believable that he'd say that and act dumb just to gently caress with Olerud.

Rickey was great and there will never be anything like him again, in more ways than one.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

rickiep00h posted:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man, Rickey played in the wrong era, imagine how many fuckin wild stories never got told

On the other hand, if he played in like the ‘20s or ‘30s we’d have a lot of serious baseball historians soberly declaring that most of the stories people tell about him were apocryphal or likely myths, so maybe it’s better this way

It’s kind of wild how much of early baseball history is of questionable veracity, even with reporters all over the place. Lefty Gomez would say anything about anybody if it got a laugh from whoever he was talking to at the time, and he’s your primary source for a lot of Joe DiMaggio stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I think there would be more stories if he broke the color barrier