Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I believe so as there were a ton of accounts that had written for a big website a few times in 2006 but were still verified in 2018 which meant their dull opinions and three listener podcasts were churned to the top of the search algorithms. It got noticeable enough they started the cull right before the Musk circus

Yah stuff like that makes sense to prune like have 5 year reviews etc.

It’s just funny how Elon managed to do the dumbest possible thing and completely destroy any worth of the service to be a place where actual notable people are spotlighted. Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
The one good thing about twitter was you could insult a celebrity and there was a little sliver of a chance that they might actually see it but now it's gone because Elon is a dumbass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

rowkey bilbao posted:

The one good thing about twitter was you could insult a celebrity and there was a little sliver of a chance that they might actually see it but now it's gone because Elon is a dumbass.

Yeah that ruled in early day twitter having a high percentage chance of getting a response from a random celebrity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did the blue checkmarks even have any effect? Because I don't think they did anything other than confirm that the person is who they say they are. Not that they are even in any way good or important. It came from some impersonation lawsuit, IIRC.

The chuds of course got mad that some doge rear end in a top hat can't have one because it's an elitist liberal plot or some poo poo.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Merry X-mas, the everything holiday, everybody!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mobby_6kl posted:

Did the blue checkmarks even have any effect? Because I don't think they did anything other than confirm that the person is who they say they are. Not that they are even in any way good or important. It came from some impersonation lawsuit, IIRC.

Yes, that was in fact their purpose. It was a valuable feature

It's important to know whether or not it's really the President who is saying the bombing begins in five minutes

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

FoolyCharged posted:

You say this, but the history books show that this advice would have been of great use to all the people throughout history that attacked those fortresses anyway for a variety of reasons.

There's a bit in Terry Pratchett's book Eric where someone is listening to generals making a plan to attack a fortress:

Sir Terry Pratchett posted:

The consensus seemed to be that if really large numbers of men were sent to storm the mountain, then enough might survive the rocks to take the citadel. This is essentially the basis of all military thinking.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blue checks got special features to help them deal with harassment that weren’t available to normies and I always found that funny as hell

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Yes, that was in fact their purpose. It was a valuable feature

It's important to know whether or not it's really the President who is saying the bombing begins in five minutes
Right, I mean any effect beyond that.

Like the chuds saw the blue checkmark people were popular and thought that having one would grant them some special secret posting power.

As opposed to them being popular because they belonged to prominent public figures, journalists, politicians, etc.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Right, I mean any effect beyond that.

Like the chuds saw the blue checkmark people were popular and thought that having one would grant them some special secret posting power.

As opposed to them being popular because they belonged to prominent public figures, journalists, politicians, etc.

right wingers tend to confuse cause and effect

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Elon's last post ever is just gonna be "The Jews", much like that one lady who was dying from covid and posted that to facebook.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

freemandela posted:

right wingers tend to confuse cause and effect

You caused their confusion by pointing it out :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DemonTrigger posted:

Elon's last post ever is just gonna be "The Jews", much like that one lady who was dying from covid and posted that to facebook.

“Rosebud.”

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't know elon maybe he's referring to the ev1

the car that you yourself explicitly said was the inspiration for tesla.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
We got burned in the union support bill because we're union busters, how unfair!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghostlight posted:

Musk wouldn’t know what the inspiration of Tesla was because it wasn’t his idea. He stepped in with a big bag of money to take over the company and their mostly complete Roadster.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

musk's getting owned by dark brandon, what a loser

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Biden didn’t tell me I was the smartest and handsomest boy every day! Pure evil

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Idea - what if every time a company took public money, the largest shareholders had to get a tattoo on their face sized relative to their ownership and the amount of the subsidy. These tattoos have to be read in full before engaging someone on fiscal policy questions.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

It might just be me thinking bad, but if I wasn't just rich I was wealthy, and some mysterious dark entity made a target of me, it would look kinda sad and pathetic to go around complaining about the "woe is me, I have all this money and still need a handout from people poorer than me" instead of just, I dunno, United States-ishly throwing money at politicians to get my way.

This guy could have bought every person on Earth a Hot n Ready from Little Caesar's with the money he spent on Twitter, had change left over, and been more popular :lol:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mistle posted:

It might just be me thinking bad, but if I wasn't just rich I was wealthy, and some mysterious dark entity made a target of me, it would look kinda sad and pathetic to go around complaining about the "woe is me, I have all this money and still need a handout from people poorer than me" instead of just, I dunno, United States-ishly throwing money at politicians to get my way.

This guy could have bought every person on Earth a Hot n Ready from Little Caesar's with the money he spent on Twitter, had change left over, and been more popular :lol:

The only people dumb enough to buy his bullshit are the 3rd nipple trumpsucker type.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hope the boer boy is having an absolutely rancid christmas day :)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

toggle posted:

Hope the boer boy is having an absolutely rancid christmas day :)

does he have family of speaking age that can stand him?

gonna guess not

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fate Accomplice posted:

gonna guess not

Does David Sacks count?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

kazil posted:

Does David Sacks count?

lol xmas eve

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Blue checks got special features to help them deal with harassment that weren’t available to normies and I always found that funny as hell

In addition to this, there was a verified notifications tab so they could see other checkmarks responding to them (several often dunked on idiots only used that tab for replies) and a boost in search visibility but I think that boost was minimal and part of a mix of factors

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

kazil posted:

Does David Sacks count?

The fact we spent billions to make a lovely airplane is why we won in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan!

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

gonna guess not

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

kazil posted:

Does David Sacks count?

elon's been playing polytopia today

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thathonkey posted:

lol xmas eve

He's quoting Jesus from the bible.

His loving family is just out of frame, also enjoying Christmas.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
for the holidays elon will be lowering the price of twitter blue to idk one of the hitler numbers or whatever

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

lol still mad 2 years later

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

R.L. Stine posted:

for the holidays elon will be lowering the price of twitter blue to idk one of the hitler numbers or whatever
$4.88

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
actually he's raising it to $14.88

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Our new Hardcore membership is about $69/month, charged as a mere 14 cents every 88 minutes! :elon::elon:

*loses money on every transaction from processing fees*

E: it's still blowing my mind that the math actually works out, there's got to be some way to goad him into doing something idiotic with that

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 25, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sentient Data posted:

Our new Hardcore membership is about $69/month, charged as a mere 14 cents every 88 minutes! :elon::elon:

*loses money on every transaction from processing fees*

lol imagine how fast amex would be on that deal

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ghostlight posted:

Also probably a quarter GM was replacing all the batteries in the Bolts they had sold, because they're a responsible company that takes their customer's safety seriously.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

The chuds of course got mad that some doge rear end in a top hat can't have one because it's an elitist liberal plot or some poo poo.

A lot of freelancers and trustworthy niche area people relied on it for their lifeblood.

I found it really helpful against propaganda and interference when living in Taiwan and trying to follow current events. Even local reporters had blue checks, and that was a godsend for filtering out Beijing's noise and sycophants.

At a glance I could know if I could trust the source or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Further Reading posted:

My favourite example of this was that time some libertarian tried to engage Elon on how tax is a scam and Elon was like "you know what's a real scam? None of the animals in zootopia poop on screen".

That couldn't be Elon, because that's loving hilarious