Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I miss the days when you could play the lottery and maybe get an insane part that can go nuts. Back when I could get a casual 1Ghz overclock on my Athlon. Nowadays you can't get lucky with a video card because they bin all the chips and if your cheap card could overclock, they would have figured that out and put it into a higher SKU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I remember the Cellerin 300a in particular being a legend because

A) you could probably find a carton of them for $30 each at a computer show and
B) you had about a 85% chance of successfully overclocking it to 450 by changing one setting on your motherboard.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Remember computer shows? All that overstock product has moved to shady auction sites now. I miss being able to buy headphones for like a dollar. Or a TV for twenty bucks, delivery up to you.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Kwyndig posted:

Remember computer shows? All that overstock product has moved to shady auction sites now. I miss being able to buy headphones for like a dollar. Or a TV for twenty bucks, delivery up to you.

I only ever got to go to one (at a Holiday inn in MA) but I bought my first ide dvd from drive from some random vendor whom I'm pretty sure I handed over my debit card to pay for. I was a dumb kid.

One sketchy copy of PowerDVD later, I could watch The Matrix on a 17inch monitor.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I don't know how this image got so compressed. I'd take a new picture but my phone got run over and the camera doesn't work anymore. I don't have the RAM anymore but I do have this box, which was a Christmas gift from like 1992, and it allowed our Tandy 386 to finally play the game I'd gotten the previous Christmas, El-Fish

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BrainDance posted:

Goddamn I miss Gateway. Whatever happened to having an aesthetic? The cow boxes and all that.

My everyday laptop is a gateway

Still chugging along. I've put in an SSD and a lot more RAM though

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I listened to this person read a book for multiple minutes and I still haven't gotten an answer to my question:

Why couldn't computer towers in 1998 be all kinds of colors? Why not a mint green, or a pale jade? Why not orange? Why not a deep blue? Was it a technological problem somehow?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You have to imagine among the millions upon millions of computer users in the 90's that someone wanted a computer which was mustard yellow. Was there a technological hurdle that kept that one guy from getting his yellow computer? Or was it just stupid systemic bullshit?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I listened to this person read a book for multiple minutes and I still haven't gotten an answer to my question:

Why couldn't computer towers in 1998 be all kinds of colors? Why not a mint green, or a pale jade? Why not orange? Why not a deep blue? Was it a technological problem somehow?

You clearly didn't listen because the answer is Germany and, shortly thereafter, Europe. They regulated the color of computer equipment for offices. Any computer that wasn't gray or beige couldn't be used as an office computer or something, they're less clear on the consequences.

But yes, if you made a pale jade computer you'd be cutting yourself out of the lucrative German office market, losing out on potentially tens of sales. Computermakers are capitalists, so this was not done.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

Driving up to Trenton for the computer fair with my dad and brother when I was in middle school. Cheap games and hardware galore, followed by comically large sandwiches at Harold's New York Deli. Those were the days.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But it has to has to cost very little money to make a small rectangular metal box pale jade, yes? And then you could conceivably make it hundreds of dollars more than its beige and white counterparts?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

But it has to has to cost very little money to make a small rectangular metal box pale jade, yes? And then you could conceivably make it hundreds of dollars more than its beige and white counterparts?

Congratulations you figured out the thing Apple figured out. Now if you had acted on it 20 years ago you could be one of the world's largest cell phone manufacturers for some reason.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Colorful plastic boxes in 1999??? This was under the Christmas tree for me, all 900mhz, iirc. Finally, I could play rollercoaster tycoon all afternoon without bogarting my mom's work computer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

You clearly didn't listen because the answer is Germany and, shortly thereafter, Europe. They regulated the color of computer equipment for offices. Any computer that wasn't gray or beige couldn't be used as an office computer or something, they're less clear on the consequences.

But yes, if you made a pale jade computer you'd be cutting yourself out of the lucrative German office market, losing out on potentially tens of sales. Computermakers are capitalists, so this was not done.

But why male models beige boxes?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Big Mac posted:

Colorful plastic boxes in 1999??? This was under the Christmas tree for me, all 900mhz, iirc. Finally, I could play rollercoaster tycoon all afternoon without bogarting my mom's work computer.

This is the exact computer my first wife and I bought together, iirc it came with Win95 and I made the god-almighty mistake of putting ME on it.
I think I remember it was actually fairly competent for what it was after I had stuck a pci FX5200 card in it at some point.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
well i dunno, i was rocking a sleek black pc back in 94

even the documentation aged just fine

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

After a couple year break I made a Christmas Amiga mod again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmza4BxBiCI

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan sings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0s4dkpOTI

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I was a bit curious about those "German IT standards", and from what I could find it really does check out; DIN 66 234 from 1980 is about ergonomics of computer workplaces ("Bildschirmarbeitsplaetze").

I haven't yet found a (free) copy of the actual standard, but I did find this 1993 paper (in German) that references it.

The closest I've gotten to a smoking gun is this, which is about reflectivity of the surfaces (in percent):

It references another paper and not the standard, though.

I can't find any contemporary text explicitly mentioning the color of the equipment, but from context it feels like something that standard could well include.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Dec 23, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Also obsolete: writing games walkthroughs for print magazines (and maybe getting paid for them).
I wrote a Fallout walkthrough for a German mag and got paid a couple hundred bucks.
17 year old me: wow I can play games and get paid!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1738628697077236099?s=20

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's close to $101K in 2023 dollars.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I think you're all ignoring that no one thought to make a non-beige PC before apple came up with the iMac.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Computer viking posted:

I can't find any contemporary text explicitly mentioning the color of the equipment, but from context it feels like something that standard could well include.

it could well be that beige is the easiest and more sure fire way to meet reflectivity standards

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rap Game Goku posted:

I think you're all ignoring that no one thought to make a non-beige PC before apple came up with the iMac.

Pretty sure we had a black Packard Bell before the imac came out.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Turns out Pantone had something to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beige_box

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What did Pantone have to do with it aside from having a pantone color that is beige that Apple used?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure we had a black Packard Bell before the imac came out.

Apple invented colored plastic in 1998.

IBM desktops were black before then. At least their Pentium 2 era ones were.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

What did Pantone have to do with it aside from having a pantone color that is beige that Apple used?

I think it was standardized after Jerry Manock went with Pantone 453C.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

clearly another 80's company that was trafficking cocaine instead of selling their creation.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Rap Game Goku posted:

Apple invented colored plastic in 1998.

IBM desktops were black before then. At least their Pentium 2 era ones were.

There were a few other outliers around too, though not exactly priced for home use.

(Apologies for the state of my poor O2.)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

With that reflection and all, it really looks like a dust bin with buttons. A doctor Who alien?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The curve on the front? It's molded, not a reflection. :)
(And the white swoosh on the lid is some paint that has rubbed off on it)

Borrowing an image from some guy on twitter, this is a top spec version of the same machine with the matching early LCD monitor:

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Dec 24, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Desert Bus posted:

If i am remembering right, my Celeron was like 75bux cheaper than the equivalent I could turn it into by drawing a tiny line on it with a pencil. Just an absurdly good deal. Maybe not so much for the normal buyer, but upping the speed massively was easy fast cheap and pretty safe.

The pencil (or copper paint) trick was amazing back in the early '00s, I unlocked multiple Athlon XP chips that way. Toss a custom cooler on & do some tweaking, you could easily get performance a couple tiers higher than what you paid for. I carried that through to unlocking the later tri-core Phenom chips to quad core, man those days were fun as hell :)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rap Game Goku posted:

People have mentioned IBMs that were black, including that bizarro tower with the custom card and cable that went to a CDROM/1.44 breakout to sit in your desk?

And the Acers of the mid-90s were often black but with these weird bug-green panels as well.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

including that bizarro tower with the custom card and cable that went to a CDROM/1.44 breakout to sit in your desk?

The whole thing looked cool as gently caress though

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

monolithburger posted:

The whole thing looked cool as gently caress though

I installed one of those at a client's office in '98 or something, it was neat looking.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

On one hand that is futuristic and neat as heck, OTOH it also demonstrates why IBM had no business competing in the PC market.
Private consumers are mostly interested in low prices and business consumers don't care that much about case design.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

People have mentioned IBMs that were black, including that bizarro tower with the custom card and cable that went to a CDROM/1.44 breakout to sit in your desk?

And the Acers of the mid-90s were often black but with these weird bug-green panels as well.

I had a dark green Acer in like 96. I thought it was pretty cool until the cd rom drive died and we had to put a plain old beige drive in the otherwise dark tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Never heard of this one (and it's not Techmoan!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYpD6g6nLd0