Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Jestery posted:

How exactly does a p bass differ from , say, the beginner bass I played decades ago?

What was your beginner bass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I honestly couldn't tell you anything more than

It was entirely playable and sufficient to play on, but literally anything would be an upgrade. I think it cost maybe 200-300 dollars.

I'm not much of a tonehead/gear head and just play what sounds acceptable to me , but I've seen that they have a reputation, and I'm wondering if there is anything concrete in the manner of construction or setup that differentiates it from a well made bass guitar. Or is it just cultural concensus that whoever has the licence to build P-basses just does so consistently well

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
"P bass" means it has a single humbucker pickup, usually in the middle position, often a split coil. The style is named after the Precision bass, and a lot of p basses have similar body shapes to this day. It's not a licensing thing.

The other major style is J or Jazz bass, which has 2 single coil pickups.

The hybrid PJ bass is probably the third most common, if I had to guess.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I got my first bass!

MIJ Fender Aerodyne P-Bass. Local store had it on a steep discount, $800. I guess they aren't selling? Anyway I took it for that price.

Very hard to rewire my brain to not think of the first string as E. My wife says it "feels" cool when I play it, hahah.

But the first string is E (at least in one direction)! Nice bass, enjoy it!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Solumin posted:

"P bass" means it has a single humbucker pickup, usually in the middle position, often a split coil. The style is named after the Precision bass, and a lot of p basses have similar body shapes to this day. It's not a licensing thing.

The other major style is J or Jazz bass, which has 2 single coil pickups.

The hybrid PJ bass is probably the third most common, if I had to guess.

Huh, fair enough

Odd name but I guess everything is weird when you scratch the surface

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Up until then people were playing imprecise, upright double basses, but this thing had frets

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

When you look at a seismogram of an earthquake, the first blip is the compressional-wave. Because it is first, some people call it primary, or P-wave.

So I always think P-base should be first bass. But not first base. Or maybe sure, whatever. I shouldn't kink-shame.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jestery posted:

Huh, fair enough

Odd name but I guess everything is weird when you scratch the surface

It's Precision bass, not simply P bass. Op left that out.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Laserface posted:

It's Precision bass, not simply P bass. Op left that out.

Nah I've picked up that much

But my confusion was like, my beginning bass didn't seem "imprecise" enough to warrant such a reputation for precision Basses, and I figured that like a 5 grand bass used by a session musician would be precise enough, but not be called a p-bass

Now I know it's like , a mould created by the first well engineered electric bass from a well renowned company , created in the context of historical widespread double bass use it makes sense

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Since the neck is so borked on this custom shop Washburn, I soldered an input jack to the preamp and was trying out all the basses with a little Bartolini flare.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is there a go-to pedal that will go into a mixing board? I'd like to play live without bringing a cab, or even a head for that matter. Any experience with the motown type ones? Thanks, thread.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sansamp of whatever flavour. Ampegs new preamp. Any good preamp really.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

which squiers should i look out for on the used market if i want a decent like early to mid 60s pbass vintage kinda vibe?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jestery posted:

Nah I've picked up that much

But my confusion was like, my beginning bass didn't seem "imprecise" enough to warrant such a reputation for precision Basses, and I figured that like a 5 grand bass used by a session musician would be precise enough, but not be called a p-bass

Now I know it's like , a mould created by the first well engineered electric bass from a well renowned company , created in the context of historical widespread double bass use it makes sense

TBH it’s really just Leo Fender being a little bit of a linguistic dipshit having an impact on the English language nearly three quarters of a century afterwards, like with how he named the “tremolo bar” on an electric guitar. (It has nothing to do with tremolo.)

Don’t give the term that much credit, it was a brand name that stuck.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Kevin Bacon posted:

which squiers should i look out for on the used market if i want a decent like early to mid 60s pbass vintage kinda vibe?

Classic vibe series? They specifically have a 60s model.

I can never remember if Vintage Modified came first...

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i did not realize they just straight up make 60s models lol. now i feel silly. thanks!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hey folks. Got this vexxing issue and I am just at a loss where to go from here.

I am an adequate player. I don’t want to get into that so pers just assume I am. Im trying to put together some bass demos to try and get some gigs in a place that I am very new to and know almost nobody except another bassist. I would very much like to have my demos be as good as possible and right now that is not a playing issue. I e spent some money on quality gear and jesus tap dancing christ why is it SO hard to record a decent video with synced audio? Here is my setup:

A number of nice basses, active and passive (mike lull p, brubaker j, ebmm etc).

I plug into a DI and have tried without, but I have a sans amp and a colorbox. Also going thorough an empress compressor.

I go into a focusright octopre ran by a focusright scarlett 18i20 2nd gen with updated fw going over ADAT and usb to a tower pc mobo usb slot.

I then have a pair of hs-5’s and an hs-10 on the ground.

And no matter what I do, the bass sounds tinny and thin with almost zero low end on it. Songs played on the same system from the computer (spotify, youtube) sound great. But any bass plugged in, anyway, sounds gutless and trash.

There are other issues here as well but I’ll leave them for now as this is the most pressing issue is that recorded bass sounds like pure light weight white girl rear end and I hate it. I have guitar rig 5 and 6 and can sound sculpt the bejesus out of it, it’ll sounds better but no where near what it sounds like coming out of any of my amps. What the hell am I doing g so wrong!?!

E: I have the sub cut off fq set to 80hz. All the volume on speakers is top dead center.

E2: Crap is me (top image), pro is pro (middle image). Same note. And my audio settings in live (bottom image). IDK why mine has all the spikes in the spectrogram. Maybe thats the issue? All eq on the DI is also top dead center.
https://imgur.com/a/tKSMmO0

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 28, 2023

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

For the audio issues it would really help to hear a recording and see more of your signal chain. You mention amps and a DI and a sansamp, can you give us examples of how it sounds in different combinations?

For syncing video one thing I've found really helpful is to visibly slap the strings near the pickups at the beginning of the recording. This gives you a really easy point to line things up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What kinda DAW are you using?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

for fucks sake posted:

For the audio issues it would really help to hear a recording and see more of your signal chain. You mention amps and a DI and a sansamp, can you give us examples of how it sounds in different combinations?

For syncing video one thing I've found really helpful is to visibly slap the strings near the pickups at the beginning of the recording. This gives you a really easy point to line things up.

Ah thats a slick idea. I am guessing that thinking there exists some thing where you record video and audio at the same time and it’s synced all up automatically is a fool’s dream because its not like we’ve had SMPTE time code for five decades or anything. Also I guess on most current gen interfaces, loopback is built in so maybe I just need to upgrade.

Ill record a scale and post it. There is also a periodic white noise “click” that shows up every 5-10 seconds. On the spectrogram it looks like the noise floor jumps up 6-10 db equally across all frequencies. In signals, Id call it a “chirp” but thats not a term that describes audio to audio folks.

I have to assume this is all me because normal people just buy things, plug in and go. I am in a constant hell of debugging.

In regards to the tool chain, my board goes: instrument, Tuner pedal, spaceman artemis, mxr sub ovtave, colorbox v2, C4, smart gate, volume pedal, amp. Currently the amp Im using is a GL MB210. Also have a big aguilar 751 rig.

I use the DI out from the color box into an octopre channel. All the effects prior to the color box are all “off”. To troubleshoot I bypass all that and go bass, sansamp, octopre.

Shageletic posted:

What kinda DAW are you using?

Ableton Live Suite 11, paid for.

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 28, 2023

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

For debugging I'd suggest bass -> interface -> daw. Really rule out everything else, then add things in one at a time.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

for fucks sake posted:

For debugging I'd suggest bass -> interface -> daw. Really rule out everything else, then add things in one at a time.

Thanks, I did do that and have solved some minor issues. My cable is pretty short from the instrument, but unshielded. Discovered that reducing tone knob to zero got rid of some errant noise, switched to a shielded cable and that went away except for some odd digital noise always emanating from my speakers (removed cell phone from the eq as well).

Here are some audio samples. Still get this "pop" that I referred to as a Chirp earlier.

The first bit is just wringing open strings going instrument -> Shielded cable -> Octopre channel. The clicks ONLY happen when a note is falling in volume, and somewhere around the - -24db (+/-6) the pop happens at seemingly random magnitudes (it does not scale with note loudness or duration). I've checked to make sure the interface and DAW have the same settings (44k, 24 bit depth).

The second part of the file is a 2 octave major scale in E completely dry (passive typical J bass, all knobs at max). The Third is the same but with the JHS DI in the middle. Master: TDC Pre:25% Step: TDC, EQ: TDC. All other options "off".

If the file looks / sounds fine to you guys, I guess that means I have a problem with how I have my speakers set up / parameterized (not including the annoying pop).

Ableton set to record this was a fresh session, only one audio track, nothing on the channel or master, nothing on sends. The None of the stages involved (input, channel strip, master bus) clipped.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/118L9rZrkFeVSYK7QRktUtQKbDEZp5_lZ?usp=sharing

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I can't listen atm but I happen to have a clip i recorded to test something else. This is just straight line in to a scarlet 2i2 through a compressor that is disabled in the second half. Pbass pickup.

https://vocaroo.com/1jVkqmJZM50f

If your recording sounds something like that it's probably just DI sound you're not used to

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Kevin Bacon posted:

I can't listen atm but I happen to have a clip i recorded to test something else. This is just straight line in to a scarlet 2i2 through a compressor that is disabled in the second half. Pbass pickup.

https://vocaroo.com/1jVkqmJZM50f

If your recording sounds something like that it's probably just DI sound you're not used to

Thank you! I've been trouble shooting all morning. A lot going on over here.

Something is deffo faulty with the octopre, or the adat getting it to the ADC. That is where all the "pops" are coming from. There is also some dirty power noise that I have yet to isolate coming in through my monitors, possible from a Furman, or coupling or god forbid upstream from there.

Changing around the sample rate and buffer size helped me get rid of the "tin-ish and gutless" sound. My bass, for the first time since moving now sounds like a bass coming through my interface.

And wow! Your digital noise is worse than mine!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

got a chance to listen now, and to me the clip you posted sounds fine sound-quality wise. seems like you've solved it or at least that youre on the right track according to your last post though! good luck with the recording :cheers:

feel free to share any handy tips after the fact, if you find any. gonna look into recording some covers or something myself in the new year. new musical adventures!

and yeah, the infetterence is pretty messed up in that clip :v: i think i had my source audio ultrawave plugged in via usb, which makes a lot of noise

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would just use the old timey method of a "clap" where I would hold the bass up to the camera and slap the strings then use that event to sync the audio and video.

edit: oh it's a "thin/tinny" sound that's the problem. I would start pulling things from the signal chain until I identify the culprit that is a very strange issue.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 29, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also, Bass Thread, I got a Squier CV 60s P-Bass and a Cali76 compressor and the official Ampeg/Brainworx SVT-VR plugin to go with my UA Volt 2 and copy of Logic Pro. I'm so happy with the sound, it's exactly what I wanted. 😭

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
That sounds sick. The squier p basses are so good now

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I picked up a squire vintage vibe j5 for under 5 bills. Stunningly good at the price point. Hard to put down even.

Since Donny Benét is first and foremost a bassist I thought Id share the new hotness

https://youtu.be/EwPUtEMms4E?si=63c1LgFpjpSkBFnb

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hey whats a good cheap bass head that has an effects loop OR a really good cheap-ish power amp. I'm using my bandmate's Acoustic B200 head right now but the thing has been through hell and I want something more solid and of my own. I want to buy a Darkglass head but they're expensive and are like 90/10 things I don't need to things I do for this band

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orange terror bass has an fx loop. I'd be surprised to find a mid range amp that doesn't have one. Even some combo amps have them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Quilter Bass Block 800/802.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
both of those are good options but definitely in the "might as well just get the darkglass amp you want for a few hundred more" range although i will actually keep an eye on them for a while

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Locally I just picked up a set of Fender MIA jazz pickups, part numbers on the bobbins 048612 048613 for $25, they test at 7k and 7.4k ohms. Going to throw them on my MIM '14 Jazz

Keep your eyes peeled on your local classifieds in case people mislabel things like these :sax:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Kevin Bacon posted:

got a chance to listen now, and to me the clip you posted sounds fine sound-quality wise. seems like you've solved it or at least that youre on the right track according to your last post though! good luck with the recording :cheers:

feel free to share any handy tips after the fact, if you find any. gonna look into recording some covers or something myself in the new year. new musical adventures!

and yeah, the infetterence is pretty messed up in that clip :v: i think i had my source audio ultrawave plugged in via usb, which makes a lot of noise

Thanks Mr. Bacon.

So, I guess the confluence of sample rate, bit depth, and buffer size sort of need to all be in some sweet spot or another depending on the myriad variables in any given system. I think my problem was:

1. Pops, randomly: Buffer Size increase.
2. Very low / not very bassish: This was basically me having various hardware cross over frequencies not set correctly so most of the energy in the bass low end was just being shunted to nothing. So, I raised the cut off freq on the sub and all of the sudden it was there
3. Timing: This still sucks. OBS does have an input offset which can be negative, so it sort of fixed the audio going into OBS in terms of timing. But still really a problem trying to monitor though the DAW, and if you are by yourself, you kinda like to hear what you have planned being layed down. Apparantly this is not truly possible in a DAW (which I fully understand why) but its been very bad on my set up. Focusrite (2nd gen stuff anyway) is kind of meh on a few different levels. At the purchase time, I based it off just name recognition and brand reputation. Thats a dumb thing to base a purchase on. Every other interface maker of any merit has a simple and fast way to direct monitor. For focusrite, none. And there isn't even a dedicated software feature, you just have to route poo poo weird in their extremely light featured and old configuration tool for their products (focusrite control).

Since I have became aware of other mfgs out there who are very much farther ahead and better than focusrite. You pay up for the premium, but even then, you can still get rooked by features they say are there, but are so poorly implemented they may as well not be. Anyways, ordered an RME after thinking about an apollo, which are on so many desks right now, but apparantly, and specifically for windows users, it sucks from a driver perspective. They use third party drivers on the AtoD and apparantly the clock is sub par.

Its sort of a bummer because anymore they make it seem like you can basically do push of a button high quality recording with just about any interface and that is a big rear end lie.

I am very tired but thats what I learned.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

Since the neck is so borked on this custom shop Washburn, I soldered an input jack to the preamp and was trying out all the basses with a little Bartolini flare.

Went ahead and rehoused it.

This is a super handy preamp. Turns out it’s the old Marcus Miller preamp that he used (Bartolini TCT).

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Basic Poster posted:

3. Timing: This still sucks. OBS does have an input offset which can be negative, so it sort of fixed the audio going into OBS in terms of timing. But still really a problem trying to monitor though the DAW, and if you are by yourself, you kinda like to hear what you have planned being layed down. Apparantly this is not truly possible in a DAW (which I fully understand why) but its been very bad on my set up. Focusrite (2nd gen stuff anyway) is kind of meh on a few different levels. At the purchase time, I based it off just name recognition and brand reputation. Thats a dumb thing to base a purchase on. Every other interface maker of any merit has a simple and fast way to direct monitor. For focusrite, none. And there isn't even a dedicated software feature, you just have to route poo poo weird in their extremely light featured and old configuration tool for their products (focusrite control).

1. I have been recording guitar into a computer for twenty years, and that whole time I've been monitoring via the DAW. As long as you can keep your buffer low enough that you have <10ms, preferably somewhere around 5ms latency, you will not be able to notice it.

2. I have a focusrite 2i2 which has direct monitoring. Maybe you have a model which doesn't have that?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sockington posted:

Went ahead and rehoused it.

This is a super handy preamp. Turns out it’s the old Marcus Miller preamp that he used (Bartolini TCT).

Really cool pre-amp pedal

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

for fucks sake posted:

1. I have been recording guitar into a computer for twenty years, and that whole time I've been monitoring via the DAW. As long as you can keep your buffer low enough that you have <10ms, preferably somewhere around 5ms latency, you will not be able to notice it.

2. I have a focusrite 2i2 which has direct monitoring. Maybe you have a model which doesn't have that?

Oh believe you me friend…The probability that I am doing MANY things wrong is almost one.

Yeah I wish I could find a local person that knew and just come tell me whats wrong. Its very strange. On this focusrite rig the latency is ALWAYS noticeable even after mesisng with the buffer and mathematically making the latency “zero” with the drive error compensation utility in ableton configs. Just no idea. And also then even if I direct monitor, the recorded audio is never where it sounded like it should be. Its delayed by tens of milliseconds every time. Super frustrating because to get anything passable I got to go in and try to nudge it back which causes other issues so I warp it and then end up being time cop on every single transient.

Anyways yeah the second gen 18i20s do not have built in loop back or a hardware button for direct monitoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Basic Poster posted:

Oh believe you me friend…The probability that I am doing MANY things wrong is almost one.

Yeah I wish I could find a local person that knew and just come tell me whats wrong. Its very strange. On this focusrite rig the latency is ALWAYS noticeable even after mesisng with the buffer and mathematically making the latency “zero” with the drive error compensation utility in ableton configs. Just no idea. And also then even if I direct monitor, the recorded audio is never where it sounded like it should be. Its delayed by tens of milliseconds every time. Super frustrating because to get anything passable I got to go in and try to nudge it back which causes other issues so I warp it and then end up being time cop on every single transient.

Anyways yeah the second gen 18i20s do not have built in loop back or a hardware button for direct monitoring.

Are you on the "ASIO" audio mode with it? As far as I can tell this is the only one that can get down to low enough latency not to notice.