Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Needed a guide for the Act 3 heretic quest cause it was so poorly explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Kept trying to talk to Governor Medineh in act 1 and going over the planet with a fine tooth comb because I knew I'd convinced him of the insurrection in my last play through only to find out that if your Darkest Hour was Brand of Shame you can't convince him. RIP.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

lol unequip your grenades on party members when they aren't in your squad. Had Idira fight as an npc and turn 1 she throws a gas grenade in between 3 of my people. Hey you sorta got one enemy so a for effort.

I am incredibly sympathetic on how stupidly complex programming games can be and even the simplest features can spiral out of control, but c'mon. I have programmed in even a 7drl a check when an AI goes to decide if an attack should be used to see if the potential damage of allies is >= potential damage of enemies then don't do it go on to checking another option. Burst fire makes this a bit more of a grey area, but the grenade has a fixed area.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd go as far as "don't do an attack if there's a non-zero chance of friendly fire" because it's not like those allies will actually be useful anyway.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

FuzzySlippers posted:

I seem to recall in previous games if your character was alone you'd have to pass skill checks yourself, but it seems like I always have access to party skills no matter what. Do you ever need the skills specifically on the PC?

Yes, it happens.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Kept trying to talk to Governor Medineh in act 1 and going over the planet with a fine tooth comb because I knew I'd convinced him of the insurrection in my last play through only to find out that if your Darkest Hour was Brand of Shame you can't convince him. RIP.

Does convincing him change anything? He said he'd take it more seriously on my playthrough, and then the plot happened.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Does convincing him change anything? He said he'd take it more seriously on my playthrough, and then the plot happened.

It gives you some XP, that's about it as I recall.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jack Trades posted:

I'd go as far as "don't do an attack if there's a non-zero chance of friendly fire" because it's not like those allies will actually be useful anyway.

NPCs with burst fire are especially dumb because they will stand at max range from the enemy (low chance to hit) which is also right behind your squishies (high chance to hit). They are less than useless, they are actively making the battle harder for no reason.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe is my style, but I have started giving almost everyone sniper rifles. I have build each character in a different niche, like my Serena is great at shotting a lot of bullets or burning things with fire. But the squishy characters help a lot by having a sniper file, so they always can do something usefull, like pick a weak enemy and oneshot it, or contribute to weak others.

Jae looks like a character that would be great with dual pistols, but is also very easy to give it a powerfull xenos sniper and have her become a good sniper. And spray and pray with two pistols is not that good. Not with Abelard out there soaking damage.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

With how messy the battlefields can get if you blocked the npcs from ever injuring each other I could see that leaving them with too few options, but the devs could definitely better favor other options when available. You npcs don't always have to burst just single fire sometimes!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

With how messy the battlefields can get if you blocked the npcs from ever injuring each other I could see that leaving them with too few options, but the devs could definitely better favor other options when available. You npcs don't always have to burst just single fire sometimes!

If allied npc's only ever did single target attacks then nothing of value would be lost.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Clarste posted:

NPCs with burst fire are especially dumb because they will stand at max range from the enemy (low chance to hit) which is also right behind your squishies (high chance to hit). They are less than useless, they are actively making the battle harder for no reason.
It´s like playing the OG Fallout with Ian again!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hilarious Bug Report: I had the romance encounter with Jae, and when it was over, my model had bugged out.

Seems strangely appropriate.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

SirPhoebos posted:

Hilarious Bug Report: I had the romance encounter with Jae, and when it was over, my model had bugged out.

Seems strangely appropriate.

STDs in the Warhammer universe are pretty wild.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Well, I can't install Toybox using any of the methods they have, which is pretty bad as my bugs are currently really nasty with a lot of flags hosed up and quests marked as incomplete when I've already finished them, etc. Guess I'll wait for a hotfix.

Also, the invisible after sex bug isn't locked to Jae! I've seen a lot of people having it happen for Jae, but I just had it with Marazhai. Which maybe makes a little more sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

t3isukone posted:

Well, I can't install Toybox using any of the methods they have

https://github.com/xADDBx/ToyBox/releases

Put the contents into

Should work right away without any issues.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I would prefer if most ally NPCs were melee and gun, their AI just needs to be set to get them to rush straight at the enemy and then attack when out of MP, maybe some basic warrior or Marksman abilities for variety. Mixing it up would be very easy, have some as snipers so there's no burst issues, or pure 2h melee and, this is the most important part, never give them any loving grenades.

For all the complaints I've seen way more burst fire from enemies hitting their own allies and in several cases killing each other. Core of higher it probably matters way more, as 2 morons standing directly behind Cassia and burst firing could easily kill her.

There's a lot of missed potential for arming your own troops for any on ship combat. One of the warp encounters you get the choice to spend cargo to equip your troops with better gear, but it just resolves via text.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
SUGGESTION [Legendary failure]: Abelard, inform the xenos witch I want to have gently caress with her

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

pentyne posted:

For all the complaints I've seen way more burst fire from enemies hitting their own allies and in several cases killing each other. Core of higher it probably matters way more, as 2 morons standing directly behind Cassia and burst firing could easily kill her.

Oh, the enemies definitely hurt each other more than you with burst fire too. It's just less annoying when that happens so why would anyone complain about it?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I find a huge different in lethality from spread fire to single bullets. With single bullets being more advantegeous.

This sadded me since I designed Argent to be the MOAR DAKA character, abusing the bolter, but in the end she is more operative with the flamethrower.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
My voidsmen-at-arms have never once stopped armed cultists or daemons from assailing me in my bedroom, but have spent the entirety of an assault on the bridge shooting me and our Navaigator in the back while the Navigator and Abelard proceeded to murder all the enemies.

I'm not sure why I don't have the option to airlock the useless bastards.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

https://github.com/xADDBx/ToyBox/releases

Put the contents into

Should work right away without any issues.

Also rename the folder to Toybox0 or whatever it tells you

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tei posted:

I find a huge different in lethality from spread fire to single bullets. With single bullets being more advantegeous.

This sadded me since I designed Argent to be the MOAR DAKA character, abusing the bolter, but in the end she is more operative with the flamethrower.

This is absolutely not the case, it's just, her starting weapon sucks, a lot. You'll get a very good heavy bolter in act 2 that obliterates everything.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Her bolter is old and decrepit with a whopping 45 recoil. Even the non-heavy bolter with less damage is way better

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

My voidsmen-at-arms have never once stopped armed cultists or daemons from assailing me in my bedroom, but have spent the entirety of an assault on the bridge shooting me and our Navaigator in the back while the Navigator and Abelard proceeded to murder all the enemies.

I'm not sure why I don't have the option to airlock the useless bastards.

“Mook with burstfire las/autogun” seems to be a giant liability no matter what side of combat they’re on. I’ve seen the AI devour itself with friendly fire too many times to count

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Man I hate act 3

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

“Mook with burstfire las/autogun” seems to be a giant liability no matter what side of combat they’re on. I’ve seen the AI devour itself with friendly fire too many times to count

This is extremely on theme for the 40k Universe.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

There must be such a high variation in a3 enjoyment based on how your RT is built.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Clerical Terrors posted:

STDs in the Warhammer universe are pretty wild.

Sexually transferred disappearance

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GoodluckJonathan posted:

There must be such a high variation in a3 enjoyment based on how your RT is built.

I have mine as a full officer support build and I thought A3 was fine. I had Argenta bank before I needed to do any fighting on my own, and that was enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GoodluckJonathan posted:

My MC is a Grand Strategist Officer with literally zero offensive capabilities and I thought Chapter 3 was the coolest part of the game so far.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I have mine as a full officer support build and I thought A3 was fine. I had Argenta bank before I needed to do any fighting on my own, and that was enough.

Yeah but how did you do with the gear skill checks?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GoodluckJonathan posted:

There are so many of them that you're bound to succeed in a couple of them at least.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The crashed Inquisition Ship was a really great set piece, extremely 40k lore accurate vibe. Tons of little details about how the Black Ships operate, little 'movie' scenes of past events via ghost memories, and actually engaging and fun combat encounters that did not feel unbalanced or punishing. A good boss encounter too that got creative without just stacking up endless buffs for difficulty that I wish they would do more of.

It was kind of weird how little reactivity Heinrix had to the whole place. He makes one single comment you can respond to and that's it.

I did notice a lot more visual and mechanical bugs then ever before. Almost all of the enemies didn't even do attack animations. There was a problem triggering the fog of war to clear after the first combat encounter and you'd think that was the end of the area map but you have to run up against the blackness several times to get it to clear and let you progress in the map. After the finale and return to the ship you get prompted to pick what option to resolve it but there was no reputation indicators for the outcome despite it being very clearly 3 styles of options, nuke from orbit(dogmatic), send people down to set charges(iconoclast?), and send people down to strip it clean and tell them to shut their loving mouths about what they saw(got to be heretical)

I'm also finding that you can stunlock turrets just by getting someone in melee range. It makes them go from a serious threat to basically cosmetic decorations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

The crashed Inquisition Ship was a really great set piece, extremely 40k lore accurate vibe. Tons of little details about how the Black Ships operate, little 'movie' scenes of past events via ghost memories, and actually engaging and fun combat encounters that did not feel unbalanced or punishing. A good boss encounter too that got creative without just stacking up endless buffs for difficulty that I wish they would do more of.

It was kind of weird how little reactivity Heinrix had to the whole place. He makes one single comment you can respond to and that's it.

I did notice a lot more visual and mechanical bugs then ever before. Almost all of the enemies didn't even do attack animations. There was a problem triggering the fog of war to clear after the first combat encounter and you'd think that was the end of the area map but you have to run up against the blackness several times to get it to clear and let you progress in the map. After the finale and return to the ship you get prompted to pick what option to resolve it but there was no reputation indicators for the outcome despite it being very clearly 3 styles of options, nuke from orbit(dogmatic), send people down to set charges(iconoclast?), and send people down to strip it clean and tell them to shut their loving mouths about what they saw(got to be heretical)

I'm also finding that you can stunlock turrets just by getting someone in melee range. It makes them go from a serious threat to basically cosmetic decorations.

My whole party fell on their faces with skill checks here and I never even got past the blast door. I guess I need to put points in demolitions!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I mean I failed most of them, but they're mostly for random cargo crap, so I don't feel like I was missing anything. I got Jae and Pasquale back soon enough that it didn't feel that relevant.

(I just finished A3 too and thought it was cool as well. It was enough of a change up that forced more thought with how I was playing, but on daring none of the fights felt really unfair. Part of that of course is that I had cassia back by the time they got hard, but, even without her it felt good.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I didn't get Cass back until the very end of Chapter 3. It really made me realize that my team was well built enough without her but I wonder what decides the order you get the companions in.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I didn't get Cass back until the very end of Chapter 3. It really made me realize that my team was well built enough without her but I wonder what decides the order you get the companions in.

A few are available right away Abelard if you can snap him off it otherwise you need a stim, Argenta, I think yrliet after the pit , a few require winning at least one arena fight Pasqal, Jae, Ulfar and the rest after the second arena fight which is pretty much the Psykers, aka Idira, Heinrix and Cassia.

I am not sure when you can get your custom characters, aka bodyguards, back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

My whole party fell on their faces with skill checks here and I never even got past the blast door. I guess I need to put points in demolitions!

The skill checks start ramping up fast in Act 2, by level 25 you're going to need to be taking the basic/advanced skill feats for the important ones. Demolitions and Athletics are major roadblocks to map progression in a way the others really aren't.

Demolitions(Argenta is good)
Tech/Logic (Pasqal)
Lore Xenos (Yrilet)
Abelard (Athletics/Carouse maybe Coercion)
Lore Warp(Heinrix, Idira)
Lore Imp/Commerce/Persuasion (Jae)

You really, really need Lore Xenos sky high for Act 3 for disarming all the Drukhari traps. I've only seen a single Lore Warp trap so far but I assume they become more prominent.

There's definitely a lot of appeal into making a non-combat primary skill monkey RT to open up party compositions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Advanced skill also gives you a reroll in the skill (who knows if it's actually working all the time).