Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Huh, you know I never leveled thief for anything other than a subjob, so I never knew there was an explanation for the Louverance/"Louverance" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
FFXI fashion is such a wild ride. Half the time everyone looks normal and then one of the giraffe elves just shows up looking like the unnervingly ripped bouncer for an S&M club.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

So yeah, THFs are just as poor as everyone else.

And when they TH the party they become as rich as everyone else. With trusts you can get away with a decent 2 person split.

PurpleXVI posted:

FFXI fashion is such a wild ride. Half the time everyone looks normal and then one of the giraffe elves just shows up looking like the unnervingly ripped bouncer for an S&M club.

Tarutaru look good in pretty much everything. The girls tend to look better than men in most cases. There are some very glaring limitations of armor design in FF11 though. You can see one such limitation in this prior update even!

That is as long as a skirt/dress can go. Scholar might have a slightly longer skirt. The skirt is locked to the chest armor slot, pants are always pants. Skirts overwrite pants so mixing is hard. Capes are also extremely rare on armor.

Melomane Mallet posted:

Huh, you know I never leveled thief for anything other than a subjob, so I never knew there was an explanation for the Louverance/"Louverance" thing.

So funny enough these two quests are not Thief quests. The Thief quests were back in the little side story. I've played through Chains a few times now and the first time I never knew Louverance's deal. It never tells you fake Louverance is Vauderame and it never teaches you about Atarefaunet.

We aren't done with Atarefaunet's story yet in Chains and there is at least one more side quest which I might not do involving Goldmane. But yeah he has been there since your second San d'Orian quest to investigate the tomb. He's been there in the Zilart San d'Oria quests. Now he's here in Chains. What is the actual goal for the worlds most famous Thief?

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 14, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 76. A Twist In Fate

Alright.

Yeah.

I'm picking up the box these three were suppose to drop off and coming to terms with some things.

And then he turns around and does it to me. That's what I was after to begin with I guess, I have no right to gripe.

You can have the fuzzy freeloader.

Anyway no point in delaying it. Carpenters Landing. Ironic or "luck"?

Where is he?

Is the Goddess actually joking with me?

Yeah... Cid wants everyone back...

Wait.

(Shouldn't he be in the north?)

Yeah this is awkward for me too.

Uhhh...

How long have you been here?

And there it is. In the end I had nothing to say to him.

I'm going to go pick up my cats from the beach now and not step in anymore assassination attempts.

*One squid trashing later*

Yep. That's what I'm good for. Anyway Cid wants everyone back.

What can I even say to that...

Yeah?

Yeah sure I can do that while I'm out.

We aren't going to die...

I'm going to Jeuno to pick up supplies. Heat up the airship while I'm gone...

We aren't going to die...

Just a normal day in Jeuno. No one knows a Wyrm is going to megaflare them. No one knows an army from the east will use them to relight a flame. No one knows why the world will end.

Abyssea

Just a normal day in Jeuno...

Today is not the day for this...

I have an airship to catch... and mail to deliver first I guess... This will have to wait. It doesn't have anything to do with what's going on now. I think?

(To be continued in Vision of Abyssea...)

Nah we already tried that...

They actually picked me up for once. It really must be the end times.

You could have given her the letters yourself you know...

I'm alive in the future right? Well was...

Everything will be fine.

Next time: 3 updates of a single cutscene

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 25, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So is that "vision" just a thing that pops up when you fulfill the prereqs for playing that DLC and are in the area?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

So is that "vision" just a thing that pops up when you fulfill the prereqs for playing that DLC and are in the area?

Every DLC triggers the first time you enter an area where the cutscene happens. This video was taken.... December 29th 2022... Three days after Visaria was made. Abyssea is an endgame activity but more importantly it involves the events of Chains. As you can see from the subligar in one of the pictures I was not high level nor was I started with Chains.

Abyssea came out in 2010 for reference. 3 years after Wings of the Goddess and 3 years before Seekers of Adoulin.

The starting work of this LP will be a year old in 10 days.

Anyway next time is a fight I know some people are looking forward to and we are in "I can actually screw up and die lol whoops" territory in terms of difficulty.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 17, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

Anyway next time is a fight I know some people are looking forward to and we are in "I can actually screw up and die lol whoops" territory in terms of difficulty.

:getin:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Recorded the end of Chains! But OBS fricked it and made a second profile without me asking that didn't capture any footage!

So I did the real fight and recorded the cutscenes again! I whiffed a built up weaponskill on a physical immune segment like a dingus! I may have died and had to do the fight twice! Look forward to it!

As a result we don't get the story fight which died in several hits anyway and I couldn't show much off in it.

Uggggh. At least I can make artifact armor a whole year after I started this. Oh wait I have to wait until Japanese midnight to finish the cutscenes. Pain is my life.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 77. Tenzen

My nerves are shot.

Can't miss that. So we just fly into that?

Turmoil

Friendly fire?

What?

What the hell!?

Tenzen...

Terrestrial Avatars are a real trip aren't they?

In the long run this will only delay the problem.

But it isn't like I have a better answer.

So this for fight I just need to beat Tenzen by getting his health low enough for him to surrender. The triplets throw spells at me and heal and buff Tenzen throughout the fight, to make things worse they are invulnerable. You can attempt to put them to sleep or try and pull Tenzen to the other side of the ship. Not a very elegant solution but whatever keeps you standing.

Tenzen uses all sorts of weaponskills with status aliments like blind, silence, and paralysis. These can hit for up to 1000 HP! He also has a bow and a nasty weaponskill(Oisoya) that, if I'm reading this right, hits for 2500 HP and goes through shadows... Okay that terrifies me. What the hell Tenzen?

Tenzen being a Samurai obviously has the Samurai one hour. The Samurai one hour Meikyo Shisui fills your TP to 3000 and each weaponskill you use costs only 1000 TP allowing for easy self skillchains. Tenzen is complete bullshit and during his weaponskill spam if he should ever Oisoya(this does not even need to hit) into Amatsu: Tsukikage he causes his unique Cosmic Elucidation. This deals over 1000 HP damage, ignores shadows, is AoE, ranged, and it kicks you out of the fight. After his one hour he'll eventually eat a riceball around half health and get a buncha buffs if you are still alive.

Enough.

Hey Prishe.

(She doesn't stick the landing...)

Third Ode: Memoria de la S^tona

Next time: 2 updates of a single cutscene

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 25, 2023

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Fat and Useless posted:

Chapter 77. Tenzen

So this for fight I just need to beat Tenzen by getting his health low enough for him to surrender. The triplets throw spells at me and heal and buff Tenzen throughout the fight, to make things worse they are invulnerable.

This, here, is the final "gently caress theses assholes" moment in their story, cause boy howdy, did these motherfuckers ruin parties, because, again, the fuckers cannot be targeted. You have to deal with Tenzen *and* heals/buffs you cannot do anything about.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

They even have AoE spells, doing this fight back in the 75 days truly must have been a nightmare.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

This, here, is the final "gently caress theses assholes" moment in their story, cause boy howdy, did these motherfuckers ruin parties, because, again, the fuckers cannot be targeted. You have to deal with Tenzen *and* heals/buffs you cannot do anything about.

Not only was the fight a pain in the dick at 75, but story-wise I really wanted to smash those assholes with a great axe. Total dick move to make them not targetable.

Fat and Useless posted:

They even have AoE spells, doing this fight back in the 75 days truly must have been a nightmare.

IIRC the move was to pull him to the far end of the ship, whittle him down, and then pop a bunch of SPs before he gets his skillchain off. It was not fun, but I still think Airship was the bigger hurdle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh my God those three little assholes.

I realize it's unlikely but I do dearly want to see them yeeted into a volcano before this LP is over.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Tenzen however can follow up those 3 weaponskills with a powerful chain closer called Amatsu: Tsukikage. This deals over 1000 HP damage, ignores shadows, is AoE, ranged, and it kicks you out of the fight.

The resulting skillchain here is actually the eject, not Amatsu: Tsukikage. It's unique, and it was the source of much rumour back in the day as being the rumoured "level 4" skillchain. It's called Cosmic Elucidation, and it has a nice animation involving a red moon exploding. I think he can use Tsukikage throughout the fight but only the specific combo of Oisoya > Tsukikage ejects you. He also cheats, because Oisoya doesn't need to hit for the last WS to trigger Cosmic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxM5PCsZ1Bg

"Level 4" skillchains turned out to be far less exciting.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 21, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Do wish to see them all yeeted of the airship. Preferably by Prishe's drop kick that sends them shooting off like they were Team Rocket.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think he can use Tsukikage throughout the fight

He can. It is one of the friendlier things he can slap you with.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The specific combo of Oisoya > Tsukikage ejects you.

This is correct and I'll fix it, for reference Oisoya is the big bow hit. Furthermore he can hit you with more than 3 weaponskills during his bullshit. HP remaining and feeding him TP all factor into how badly you get your rear end thrashed.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

He also cheats, because Oisoya doesn't need to hit for the last WS to trigger Cosmic.

Apparently you can just take a step back and out range his weaponskills once he has started as he won't move while doing cool Samurai stuff. Trying to stun him out of his bullshit is rough because most of it comes out near instantly unlike most monsters that have a slight charge up time. Seeing Oisoya happen should make you panic.

Everyone posted:

These little bastards.

They get worse.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fat and Useless posted:

They get worse.

Of course. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

How much time could there possibly be left for them to get worse...

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 78. Blessed By Light

Prelude

If I screw this up everyone dies. Like I said on the airship, breaking me would at least be a temporary fix until someone connects the line again.

Prishe...

I'm no Black Mage(today) but this feels like Stonega.

Yep.

I knew something was missing.

Dusk and Dawn

I'm not in any condition to kill him at the moment. My apologies everyone.

I'll shoulder my foot up your rear end...

Next time: 1 update of a single cutscene

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Okay, now everything's gonna be fixed for good, right?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, now everything's gonna be fixed for good, right?

Everything is terribly hosed but at least no one has started the apocalypse yet.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Trying to stun him out of his bullshit is rough because most of it comes out near instantly unlike most monsters that have a slight charge up time.

This is because he "uses" his Weaponskills, instead of "readying" them like most monster TP moves.

The Kindred Seal Behemoth works the same way; the Meteor it does when it dies comes with a "uses Meteor" in the log, not "casts Meteor" like everywhere else.

I think these are technically JAs and not WSes.

That One Notoriously Unkillable Superboss also "readies" his abilities where they would usually be "used" so you have a reaction window.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 79. Angels Chained

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Celestial Capital - Al'Taieu

As soon as everything stops spinning I'm going to kill him.

Because they are all dead you dumbass!

Okay... Time to gather myself.

First I lost the whisper and it seems Nag'molada has it now, based on this I can only assume he drained all the light from me and the backup plan of "screw it I'll just die I guess" is no longer on the table.

Second I (and everyone else it seems) have made it to Al'Taieu. There are flying blobs everywhere.

Everything wants me dead.

Anyway let's go investigate this palace.

Hmm. No Prishe or Tenzen. Or the little shits...

I already tried it, it's sealed. And yeah Ulmia, I'm fine.

What voice? Also have you been talking to the blobs?

Are you alright?

... Am I alright?

What else am I suppose to tell them?

I'll start with the towers around the edge of the area. Honestly though, those are the only objects around so if this doesn't work I've got nothing.

Next time: We can fit so many doors in this bad boy

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ah yes, Al'Taieu, more affectionately called Sea. Welcome to the endgame area of CoP. While RoZ's Ru'Aun Gardens was really majestic, this one is more creepy-cool, which fits the whole vibe of the expansion. All the different klinds of floating/swimming blobular mobs are really quite something.

See what I mean? Creepy-cool.

Fat and Useless posted:

Next time: We can fit so many doors in this bad boy

Oh God :stonklol:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Only the Yovras want you dead. The goldfish just want to follow you around.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is the area supposed to appear flooded by frozen/crystallized water? Because that's a cool effect.

The colours remind me somewhat of some of the later Risk of Rain 2 areas.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

Only the Yovras want you dead. The goldfish just want to follow you around.

Everything has delicious organs to make best in slot equipment with. They were coming right at me.

PurpleXVI posted:

Is the area supposed to appear flooded by frozen/crystallized water? Because that's a cool effect.

The colours remind me somewhat of some of the later Risk of Rain 2 areas.

Yep and some monsters even hide under the solid water and pop out if you run over them.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The water isn't solid. It ripples as you walk over it, iirc.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
It's got a neat footprint effect too. Not sure how easy it is to capture in screenshots.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bmac32 posted:

It's got a neat footprint effect too. Not sure how easy it is to capture in screenshots.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 80. Al'Taieu

The Celestial Capital - Al'Taieu

So what? Do I touch this?

Understood.

These all seem to have unique Jobs. Also I have to be just imagining it but I think this one just tried to use the Warrior one hour... Hrmmm.

HRMMM!

Maybe later.

There is a snappy comeback about messing with me being suicide someplace but I'm too worn out to dig it up.

Again with the voice... What voice?

Well at least I'm on the right track I guess.

What the hell are these things anyway?

Uhhh...

Hold on. I killed the two sons, there was a daughter too? Huh.

You three need a hobby... A different hobby.

Just hit the drat button so I can go stop the apocalypse... Again...

Lovely.

I could have just died and not have had to deal with this.

I expected fancier.

Open it.

Ulmia you are way too soft on them. We need Prishe.

I don't think anyone should go through that thing.

Look just wait here and don't touch anything, I'm gonna go check down the side hall.

Hey.

Say no more I'm on the case.

Hmm.

I'll see if I can get the door open. The end of everything is bad but Nag'molada getting what he wants just isn't happening while I breathe. That son of a bitch slapped me.

Next time: I started timing this quest but I forgot about it

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 27, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Those three little idiots are consistently the funniest poo poo.

Also Nag'molada? Making a mistake? Impossible.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

Hold on. I killed the two sons, there was a daughter too? Huh.

Wait, I thought I paid attention to these cutscenes but I don't remember this.

Is the Dawn Maiden a princess...?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

Wait, I thought I paid attention to these cutscenes but I don't remember this.

Is the Dawn Maiden a princess...?

Okay so. No one knows, this is never brought up again.

There are four possibilities...

First Yve'noile. Probably not the princess, just very important.

Second Esha'ntarl. Seen next to Kam'lanaut in a previous flashback and obviously important in Jeuno's hierarchy. However no one ever claims she is the sister of Eald/Kam and Maat only ever found the two of them at sea. No one knows how long she was doing side shenanigans on her own anyway.

Third and the most likely oddly enough. Lion. Gilgamesh's father finds her washed up on shore after the war and she could listen to the crystal which we have found exactly zero people who can do that other than Eald'narche doing his shared vison which sparked everything. Too young when found to remember anything and too grown up for Eald'narche to recognize her when she disintegrates herself.

Lastly no one we know. Just a dropped plot thread.

So yeah. Who knows?

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 26, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Just a dropped plot thread.

In FFXI? Impossible!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 81. I May Know The Answers

So. This place sucks. We don't even get music.

Here I drew a map. We need to get from my dot to that X.

That isn't bad you say? Well we can't go directly there. These paths have walls blocking them off and there are elevators to other floors. We will need to traverse two maps of most of what is on the map.

And the doors are all locked. Great. There has to be a switch someplace...

Oh. Oh no... I have to escort this slow moving ball through doors... Oh Goddess no...

And I never need to do this again...

Quickly before it closes.

These orb things are aggressive.

It opens the doors as is floats along so you need to stick on it.

Who designed this?

30 minutes later...

That means this is an important door!

I feel he isn't going to take this well.

Second Ode: Distant Promises

I've got nothing. I'm just kinda over everything at this point. You can't really shock me any more. I hope you are all happy.

If either of you had left a note that would have solved a hell of a lot.

Uhuh...

Uhuh...

Okay so do you see why you can't use the machine now?

Ah. I get the wings now.

Grav'iton

Audience chamber, got it.

drat. Ice cold.

But I was just getting used to my head being quiet again...

I mean the other plan is kinda out the window at this point...

You suck at pep talks kid.

I have to go through another maze don't I?

Next time: Our precious last moments

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 27, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sad'molada.

I'm also curious about the "five forms of darkness," I wonder if they'll be elaborated on or whether it'll just be five different elemental bosses or something.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Sad'molada.

I'm also curious about the "five forms of darkness," I wonder if they'll be elaborated on or whether it'll just be five different elemental bosses or something.

Each race has it's own darkness. We've seen first hand San d'Oria and arrogance. We know how bad Galka rage can get.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 29, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 82. Hand And Hand Together

Don't look at me, I told them to stay put... In retrospect I should have probably figured out that voice thing.

Why the hell can't I hear it?

She gives me back the pendant and heads off on her own to Goddess knows where.

I have to go find that cleanse... Now If I were a relic where would I be?

Gates of Paradise - The Garden of Ru'Hmet

Okay like last time we have 5 paths but this time everything is straight forward. There are still 3 floors and each path is meant for a specific race. I need to get to the 3rd floor where that X is.

The middle part on this map is a special hell for later.

So yeah the saving grace of this is we only need to hit up one of these paths, if we had to go through them all that would be awful.

That seems like my target.

So I just slap this button right here? Would it kill them to leave notes?

Ah one of these relic boxes. Yeah I guess that could cleanse you... It would hurt like hell though.

Oh right...

That was enjoyable and not awful at all. Let us talk about this room now. When you walk in here there are 4 mobs on each one of these alcoves and as long as they are on the alcove the door is open. Your first instinct is to just walk through the room and that makes them attack you off the alcoves. After this guffaw you must stand and wait at the closed door while they respawn.

I'm on a time crunch here...

Finally! My reward is a new zoop crystal and an elevator.

Okay so remember that middle part of the map I was complaining about? In order to get the elevator fully working I need 2 Brands, Dawn and Twilight. They are on the top and bottom part of that map locked behind doors that need the pendant to open.

So problem number one, there are multiple floors to this single floor.

Problem number 2, it's a teleporter maze... The one saving mercy is each side only takes one teleport but you still need to get to it.

Still no sign of the others.

Well Prishe has been here.

I'm impressed she solved the maze.

All done. The elevator should work now.

Do you all just stand at doors and elevators to use them immediately when I turn them on?

Oh. Hey Tenzen. So why is everyone lying on the ground?

Second Ode: Distant Promises

Kids... (I'll get them on a boat after this...)

Ulmia... (Prishe and me will listen to your songs from sun up to sun down...)

D... (I'm sure Esha'ntarl and San d'Oria will help us rebuild Tavnazia...)

Mhag... (I want a world without thieves too...)

These wishes aren't wrong.

Tenzen it's fine, I understand...

It's better that I can't hear this voice.

Well I hate whatever this rumbling is.

I think we have jars...

Prishe and Tenzen rush off ahead. These are easily dispatched with a few swings.

While it may not be the best choice I need to leave the others behind and get to the audience chamber.

Are we already too late?

Next time: God beckons

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

:allears:

I remember 8-3 (the jars) being the final "hard" fight of CoP. I think my group cleared it first try.