Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Asakura Sekaiichi is a manga artist, who I’m only noting here because his pen name literally means “Asakura, the best in the world”.

Aw, that poor wee wean having a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(September 8, 1918)

The Rectangle (Gasoline Alley)(July 13, 1919)

Little Nemo(February 2, 1908)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Green Intern posted:

“Oh right, now I remember why I stopped communicating with him”

Also I guess this is confirmation that Brad is supposed to be Kitty’s age and not a romantic interest for Sonia? He mostly just comes off as a total creep to me.

I mean he's a total creep regardless. Just lol that Keith's convinced himself that this man towards whom Kitty is showing open loathing is someone she wants to be with. Moy seems to have a knack for writing realistically garbage men.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Hat posted:

I mean he's a total creep regardless. Just lol that Keith's convinced himself that this man towards whom Kitty is showing open loathing is someone she wants to be with. Moy seems to have a knack for writing realistically garbage men.

they are Nice Men!

I would love both these assholes to meet Wilbur. They could team up to make him feel like more crap.

poo poo where has Wilbur been?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "460 - Jucika, As The Main Producer"

"461 - Jucika Is Sunbathing"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"What'ca doin'?
"Just watching people being murdered and eaten on the tv.""

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alhazred posted:

"What'ca doin'?
But where are those good old-fashioned values on which we used to rely?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

"What'ca doin'?

Merry Christmas.

(Yes, I know that's not a Christmas-time strip)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 14, 1935)

Peanuts (December 25, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (June 10-12, 1935)

Thimble Theater (July 29, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 23-25, 1943)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/24/03

Brenda Starr 4/27/52

Smokey Stover 9/28/58

Everyday Movies 2/1/37

"I have such a cold -- I wish I could dispose of it."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/25/42

This better not be another "... oh, it was all a dream!" story. And that's some fine perspective work in the last panel.

Closer Than We Think! 9/28/58

Not so sure about that "taste like real meat" thing.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 25, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

marry christmas

Many Ways To Interpret This

Mary Christmas

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1960)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hostile V posted:

marry christmas

What is Holbrooks whole obsession with corporate culture? Has he ever worked a loving office job in his life? Or is it a Dilbert thing where the people that read the strip responded well to it and he decided to make that his whole thing?

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Mary, eyes narrowed; a whispered curse through clenched teeth: "Janeway."

quote:

lol

manero posted:

Pluggers

[with a kowing nod] Ah yes. A plugger kows.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

The past, the past, turn ever to the past! Back, back, BACK, BACK!!!

Hostile V posted:

Mary Christmas

So the Star of Bethlehem is the low-key "we real Christians" Yuletide wink in mainstream media now, is it? "I wanted to draw a nativity but the government stopped me! Well 'Happy Holidays' everyone, if you know what I mean, jesus died for your sins abortion is murder"

a plugger kows

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 25, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

So the Star of Bethlehem is the low-key "we real Christians" Yuletide wink in mainstream media now, is it? "I wanted to draw a nativity but the government stopped me! Well 'Happy Holidays' everyone, if you know what I mean, jesus died for your sins abortion is murder"

a plugger kows

I think it's just easier to draw.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

a plugger kows

they don't bother saying the quiet parts quiet anymore

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

And also because lie detectors are pseudoscientific bullshit of the highest order.

Flash Gordon

Mongo Christmas, everybody.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 9/14/58

People might even be able to use this system to send old comic strips to each other!

Why is it painted like a dazzle ship?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why is it painted like a dazzle ship?

It was pretty common for early rockets to have a contrasting paint job in the testing phase to make it easy to spot a roll or slight course deviation. The shots the public saw footage of were often the test shots with that paint job installed, but the reason wasn't publicly discussed because nobody saw a point in mentioning it. So for a long time it was just part of what rocket ships looked like.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

WHAT IS THE PLAN AND HOW WOULD IT BE RUINED BY THIS?

Nancy

Big Deathbulge energy.

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 25, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann is doing a thing this week!

Probably not a big enough sample size to gauge where exactly the strip turned bad, but the earlier ones were better so it'll be nice to see.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

The thing I like about this comment is the couple in that song were loving dead.

Merry Christmas, thread, to all of you who celebrate it! May none of your uncles go off about politics at the dinner table.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Selachian posted:

Hwurmp posted:

bones are like smurfs, but less so
Kind of like a Smurf crossed with a Shmoo, with a little Pogo thrown in.
I'd say a LOT of Pogo, what with the proportions and general skull shape. To say nothing of Smiley's cigar and more Albertesque snout and stature.

Anyways merry etc.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cowslips Warren posted:

poo poo where has Wilbur been?

He fell off a ship and drowned.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Mary did what many friend-of-the-couple friends do and chose one half of the couple to keep as a friend. And she made the right choice making it Estelle. I just feel bad for Wilbur’s daughter.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think Mary did what many friend-of-the-couple friends do and chose one half of the couple to keep as a friend. And she made the right choice making it Estelle. I just feel bad for Wilbur’s daughter.

I got lucky when my first friend got divorced, because I wasn't friends with his wife, and she cheated on him. With another friend, not as lucky because I was his friend first, then hers, and they separated and are about done with the divorce legal aspect. I haven't seen or talked to her in over a year.

Is Estelle still with the younger cooler dude that Wilbur tried to upstage at karaoke?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/17-19/52

A filibeg is a kilt; filiform means threadlike; a flaught is a flake (and if it's of Borealis, probably a flake of snow); and fimbricated means fringed.

Archie 2/3-5/49

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 1/3-5/52

And this seems a good point to take our leave of Tom Corbett, since it never lived up to its initial promise. The strip only ran a year and a half longer, although Tom had more success on television: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ubQ8OdNDyA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That $4.50 would be $58 something in today's cash, for anyone wondering.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Mongo Christmas, everybody.
Comic's still not wasting any time with the pacing, I see. We know that Sojas is going to be an Issue eventually, but the comic's not dwelling on that any longer than it has to.

If Rex Morgan was told at this pace, the entire Rene plagarism arc would have been told in about a month.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Good loving luck hitting the winners circle with a 20 second pit stop.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Good loving luck hitting the winners circle with a 20 second pit stop.
He's going the distance. He's going for speed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

He is explicitly not going for speed with this sloppy performance :argh:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Man, I kind of hope the other comics trying to tell long form stories will look at Flash Gordon and take notes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So she gives the manager a raise while the regular employees under her who do the heavy lifting get jack and poo poo?

And we're supposed to like Kell for being A Good Boss.

Green Intern posted:

He is explicitly not going for speed with this sloppy performance :argh:

If it's anything like the college gardening team, racer guy would just cheat to win and get away with it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're probably using the other pitcrews as nibbles for the wedding party.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

She's all alone (all alone) all alone in her time of need

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1960)

Thrasos you poor fool. Outside you might have had a quick death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

A note for readers new to the Scary Go Round game. Fallon was Shelley's best friend and housemate from 2001 to 2004, when a ninja infestation drove Shelley out of their luxury maisonette.

Fallon is also a secret agent, who spends periods away overseas, stealing microfilms and punching dangerous foreign operatives in the breadbasket.

In this story, Fallon allows her friend to become engaged in affairs between the United Kingdom and the aquatic kingdom. I do not profess to be an expert on the politics of the ocean, but sending a fragile, accident-prone child-woman into the murky depths to repel the man-o-war menace may not be a good idea (tactically speaking).

In many ways it is a little like trying to stop a moving steamroller with a slice of wet bread. During the latter part of this short narrative, you may ask yourself how Shelley can breathe through just a mask, with no air tanks. Well, you're going to like this.

Shelley's arm propellors run on water. They break it into hydrogen and oxygen, the oxygen goes up tubes into her mask and the hydrogen provides clean energy or the propellors. The technology is very similar to that used to make yogurt, utilising Newton's Spoon and the Law of Incredibly Compromised Thermodynamics.

Further addenda:
(1) Hyundai are of course not Japanese, they're French. Sebastiane Hyundai is a direct descendent of King Louis XIV, and had the idea for the "motor car" when he saw 4 stones rolling down a hill.
(2) Men-o-war are of course not dangerous sea-dwelling egomaniacs. They are kind, friendly and love hugs.
(3) I promise I do not have it in for Aron Ralston, it is just in fun.

Scary Go Round (November 8-10, 2004)