Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Old British bicycle ad from Malaya/Malaysia. Don't know if you want to advertise this where tiger attacks are a real issue people face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m here for the traveller’s palm, but I notice that the near and far one have nonparallel axes. That shouldn’t happen. They align the fan east–west.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Old British bicycle ad from Malaya/Malaysia. Don't know if you want to advertise this where tiger attacks are a real issue people face.

Lot less attacks if they had more bikes. Ever think of that

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Lot less attacks if they had more bikes. Ever think of that

I'd think we would have more tiger attacks if the tigers had more bikes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

POV: you turn your head and look back

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm assuming they changed the ad copy after the fact to say "no u"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sir Lemming posted:

That's a bigger lol than the norm for those because hypothetically I'd at least give a base-building game a second thought, but any of those "move bigger numbers into smaller numbers" games like in the picture is a complete nonstarter.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

mlnhd posted:

It seems like that ad came out (2009) before “hard r “ entered the lexicon

maybe your lexicon, it's noted as early ad the 1970s, and i would presume it would be well known among both the black and the racist communities, in 2009

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wait, does the "soft r versus hard r" actually mean anything at all? I thought it was a thing racists tried to say to excuse their racism?

Like if I use a soft r I'm still very much expecting to get punched in the face.

Also I always associate "r" with "rere" or "riri" or... you know, kiddo slang for mentally handicapped.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

Wait, does the "soft r versus hard r" actually mean anything at all? I thought it was a thing racists tried to say to excuse their racism?

Like if I use a soft r I'm still very much expecting to get punched in the face.

Also I always associate "r" with "rere" or "riri" or... you know, kiddo slang for mentally handicapped.

There can be a difference (there is) and it can also be true that you shouldn't say it either way (you definitely shouldn't)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soft r means they're trying to slide it by; hard r means they want to advertise they're bigots. (The rules if you're Black and among Black people I do not know.)

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Speaking as a grade A honky, Soft r means you're trying to emulate the way black people say it to each other and you're either conciously racist or, charitably, an idiot being racist through ignorance. Hard r means you're definitely A Racist saying it as an epithet with full pointy-hood intentions.

And if you even have to ask the question don't say either, ever.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Quote is not edit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You guys are fuckin bananas. If you say the first part of the word and add anything to the second part, whether it's a hard R or a U sound, you're still saying the word.

Like unless you're fuckin eleven years old, in which case maybe you're trying to pull something off, but come on.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

You guys are fuckin bananas. If you say the first part of the word and add anything to the second part, whether it's a hard R or a U sound, you're still saying the word.

Like unless you're fuckin eleven years old, in which case maybe you're trying to pull something off, but come on.

I think the context here is... Context

Who is saying it? A random white guy? Yeah, just don't. Doesn't matter.

The "soft r" is some not-touching-you bullshit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There‘a never been a soft r in the n word

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

The MSJ posted:

I dunno seems like effective targeting marketing to me :shrug:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNrHN83Bdk
You mean these weren't real?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Twitter Community Notes have also started calling out lovely ads for drop-ship bro sites and it’s great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not sure what the hell is going on in that screenshot, but I don't know why they think it looks more appealing than a base builder

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lol I've been getting ads about that game that are some pretending to be an influencer dude going "Let's try those games everyone says are fake. This one is totally legit like they show in the ad guys, and it's so much fun!"

My shirt saying (...) has people asking a lot of questions about (...)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The best ones are when they're holding empty phone cases.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There’s ads where they full on steal someone’s unrelated video and put a voiceover claiming what a great game it is. I’ve seen it with Charlie/MoistCritikal and it was blatantly a computer, but I wonder if we’re headed toward AI voices that are tougher for people to discern the ads are real at a quick/distracted glance

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure what the hell is going on in that screenshot, but I don't know why they think it looks more appealing than a base builder
Don't forget a base building phone game is a list of things with multiple day cool downs with a $5 boost skip for each.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I dunno seems like effective targeting marketing to me :shrug:

That ad ran in "Oh gently caress, Tigers" the magazine for those currently being pursued by tigers.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

John Murdoch posted:

That ad ran in "Oh gently caress, Tigers" the magazine for those currently being pursued by tigers.

Which spawned out of the popular "So you are being chased by a Tiger" series of pamphlets

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

1.) Are you being chased by a tiger? Yes/No [If yes, move on to question 2]
2.) Are you within reach of a bicycle, or can a bicycle come to your location? Yes/No [If yes, move on to question 3. If no, continue to 4.]
3.) Why are you still reading? You know what to do. Pedal that bike! [If the tiger is in fact a cheetah, please see 4.)
4.) So long, and apologies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I do not have tremendous faith in my ability to cycle away from a tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ohJ3KZlQI

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It just ended up starting the commercial arms race between anti-tiger bicycles and tiger sneakers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm being chased by a tiger on a bicycle. Please help.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Try giving up and playing dead!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wow, you're doing a really great job, where'd you get those "eviscerated entrails" props so fast?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Elviscat posted:

Wow, you're doing a really great job, where'd you get those "eviscerated entrails" props so fast?

Same-minute delivery from Amazon!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Runcible Cat posted:

Same-minute delivery from Amazon!

You're not fooling anyone, kitty

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

That's g-r-r-reat!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

1.) Are you being chased by a tiger? Yes/No [If yes, move on to question 2]
2.) Are you within reach of a bicycle, or can a bicycle come to your location? Yes/No [If yes, move on to question 3. If no, continue to 4.]
3.) Why are you still reading? You know what to do. Pedal that bike! [If the tiger is in fact a cheetah, please see 4.)
4.) So long, and apologies.

unless we are dealing with zombie or otherwise altered cheetahs, according to my zoo vet tech, the cheetah is the least likely of the big cats to actually kill you. They are built for speed runs and quick dashes and grabs, unlike lions or jags or leopards or tigers who have a much stronger body, grip, and bite. i think she said jags were the worst, calling them the bulldogs of the big cats, as in they will not let go until they feel like it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

How the tiger got on a bicycle, I’ll never know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cowslips Warren posted:

unless we are dealing with zombie or otherwise altered cheetahs, according to my zoo vet tech, the cheetah is the least likely of the big cats to actually kill you. They are built for speed runs and quick dashes and grabs, unlike lions or jags or leopards or tigers who have a much stronger body, grip, and bite. i think she said jags were the worst, calling them the bulldogs of the big cats, as in they will not let go until they feel like it.

You didn't say they wouldn't still grab you and gently caress your poo poo up, am I just less likely to get eaten by a cheetah or would they actually just leave me alone?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Brawnfire posted:

You didn't say they wouldn't still grab you and gently caress your poo poo up, am I just less likely to get eaten by a cheetah or would they actually just leave me alone?
Cheetahs have dispositions a lot like domestic cats. Which, all cats will eat your face if you make them angry enough or die in front of them, but they generally understand the big monkeys are better ongoing food sources than something to eat directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's also what Cowslips said, they are generally lightly-built, and an adult human could probably fight them off without too much trouble. Mainly for this reason, cheetahs almost never attack people, I'm pretty sure.