Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's a good point. I quite enjoyed Gael. And since I am not going for the plat, it's hard to get up for that one last fight.

Without having actually finished it I will still say Nameless King was the hardest fight in the game. Mainly because of how much damage he did along with his irregular attacks.

Without doing DS2, I will say hardest fights:

1 - ISS
2 - Malenia
3 - Radagon/Elden Beast

Those 3 are their own tier of hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Does Midir even have a weapon or spell? No.. it was something to do with the spears of the church?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

War Wizard posted:

Does Midir even have a weapon or spell? No.. it was something to do with the spears of the church?

You get the church covenant banner but also his soul which you can turn into some stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I let these two guys stomp Midir into the ground for me with crazy overpowered stuff.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not the friction with Midir. After that attempt I can see I can do him and probably relatively quickly. The problem is that there is nothing after And nothing else. It's just a moderately annoying run back each attempt. But once he's down, nothing to spend the souls on. Nowhere to go. Just done. And I'm burned out already.

imo use cheat engine to beat him, then use it to fly and and have total unlocked control of your body's proportions in invasions until you are banned

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

oh gently caress i forgot yeah it's the prerequisite for becoming a spear of the church. but getting summoned for that was rare even like 5 years ago

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
On PC at least I feel like I get summoned semi frequently, depending on the time of course

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The big laser can be dodged by sprinting to his left hind leg (your right). Chill there, buff up, and sprint to his head and get several punishes in while Midir is gassed.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Waltzing Along posted:

1 - ISS
2 - Malenia
3 - Radagon/Elden Beast

Those 3 are their own tier of hard.
I still haven't beaten
3 - Radagon/Elden Beast

I even have a screenshot of its healthbar at one pixel

Beast Clergyman gave me the next most trouble, but a lot of the other bosses that people said were hard were doable in less than 6 tries.

I've never beat a soulsbourne, but in 3 I lack those last 2 fights in ringed city and regular non dlc final boss only.

I used to do soul level one runs a lot as well.

Played all the soulsbournes and sekiro, except demons souls and somehow haven't beaten any technically, though I know them pretty well.

I guess keeping myself within "ideal PVP range" may be a handicap. I don't like to overlevel

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 28, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can someone like, buy the subscription or whatever to the wikidot wikis for the souls games. I prefer using them over fextralife... would suck if they poof.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just started this after finishing Bloodborne, and my first negative impression is that the weapons are kind of boring! The game is otherwise very good, but I miss the creativity and variety of the Bloodborne weapons

What are some good/cool weapons for a Dex build? right now I'm just using Irithyll's sword which is kind of cool because it's frosty and blue, but I don't think it's a long term choice

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Just started this after finishing Bloodborne, and my first negative impression is that the weapons are kind of boring! The game is otherwise very good, but I miss the creativity and variety of the Bloodborne weapons

What are some good/cool weapons for a Dex build? right now I'm just using Irithyll's sword which is kind of cool because it's frosty and blue, but I don't think it's a long term choice

This was the hardest part for me of transitioning out of bloodborne. I really liked the ugs you get from the abyss watchers, can't remember the name but it scales off sex primary I think. Its a dual wield parry dagger and ultra greatsword and does this cool spin l1.

I'm aware of the autocorrect and leaving it because its proof of the Greater Will

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paperhouse posted:

There's a pair of Freddy krueger claws that are fun as hell, i think they're in the ariandel dlc. You can pretty much rush them as soon as you're at the cathedral

E: that area also has the crow quills, another very good and fun dex weapon

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Eerkik posted:

This was the hardest part for me of transitioning out of bloodborne. I really liked the ugs you get from the abyss watchers, can't remember the name but it scales off sex primary I think. Its a dual wield parry dagger and ultra greatsword and does this cool spin l1.

I'm aware of the autocorrect and leaving it because its proof of the Greater Will

Any other good gear for a sex build? Asking for a friend

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Paperhouse posted:

Yeah that's kind of the compromise between BB and souls -- BB has way fewer weapons but they're all two weapons in one

At least weapon skills in DS3 spice it up, the weapons in DS1 and 2 were even simpler

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can someone like, buy the subscription or whatever to the wikidot wikis for the souls games. I prefer using them over fextralife... would suck if they poof.

Wikia getting bought out is one of the worst things to have ever happened on the internet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fandom was the real pus of man all along

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Paperhouse posted:

What are some good/cool weapons for a Dex build?

The uchigatana dropped by the Sword Master outside firelink is a good starter. Lots of people like the sellsword twinblades that you find in Farron Keep near the Black Knight.

The Astora Greatsword, near the Cleansing chapel, is awesome and has S-scaling for Dex with a Sharp infusion.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I started playing The Convergence mod, it seems pretty cool so far. There are like 12 schools of magic, I picked druid and get to summon a rat and have a poison missile spell. Only just got to high wall so I haven't seen how different the areas are yet.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

axolotl farmer posted:

The uchigatana dropped by the Sword Master outside firelink is a good starter. Lots of people like the sellsword twinblades that you find in Farron Keep near the Black Knight.

The Astora Greatsword, near the Cleansing chapel, is awesome and has S-scaling for Dex with a Sharp infusion.

Thanks, been mostly using the sellsword twinblades and the L1 combo absolutely rules

Also using the caestus from time to time, it's a bit situational but stun lock punching things into oblivion is hilarious

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
This is my first souls game since Demon's Souls. I've been using rolling like it's the dodge button in a Platinum type action game just assuming I'll have iframes if I time it right.

I know this is a tremendously dumb assumption but it's kinda worked pretty well so I've just gone with it... the Nameless King is making me think that was a bad habit to build.

Does rolling direction play a significant...role...in how the game calculates hitboxes?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McKracken posted:

This is my first souls game since Demon's Souls. I've been using rolling like it's the dodge button in a Platinum type action game just assuming I'll have iframes if I time it right.

I know this is a tremendously dumb assumption but it's kinda worked pretty well so I've just gone with it... the Nameless King is making me think that was a bad habit to build.

Does rolling direction play a significant...role...in how the game calculates hitboxes?

not in any direct way; it's more just the timing of iframes vs. active frames, where rolling into a swing is generally preferred because it'll get you out of the hurtbox faster and thus make it less likely to clip you once your iframes finish. some bosses just have abnormally lingering hurtboxes for whatever reason

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Ok that makes sense. I've been primarily rolling forward into most humanoid bosses so I'm in attack range basically all the time and it worked great for every encounter...but I've died 20x in a row to Nameless King so clearly I need to figure something else out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's kinda about how the hitboxes are calculated, in the sense that moving some ways will move your hitbox into the hurt, and moving other ways will move your hitbox out of the hurt

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

McKracken posted:

Ok that makes sense. I've been primarily rolling forward into most humanoid bosses so I'm in attack range basically all the time and it worked great for every encounter...but I've died 20x in a row to Nameless King so clearly I need to figure something else out.

he has a lot of weird delayed swings that tend to catch people off guard, sort of like fume knight in DS2, so getting the roll direction right helps a lot

if you're not picky about victory conditions, the knights in the streets before the entrance to lothric castle drop a shield that has absurdly high lightning resist, so you can just farm one of those and trivialize him if that's your fancy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh! He also has a broken hurtbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeMJc_K8bJQ

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Yeah I think I've definitely been rolling into his hurt box because my assumption was "hey I'm unhittable if I roll during the attack regardless"

While I'm soliciting advice... I'm playing a 2 hand strength build. Exclusively pumping points into strength, endurance and vitality as needed to stay below 70% load. HP is at 1000 which seems like it should be enough.

Is Yhorms machete my end game weapon? I started with Vordts Hammer and currently have the Executioner Greatsword +10.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Heavy caestus imo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

McKracken posted:

Yeah I think I've definitely been rolling into his hurt box because my assumption was "hey I'm unhittable if I roll during the attack regardless"

While I'm soliciting advice... I'm playing a 2 hand strength build. Exclusively pumping points into strength, endurance and vitality as needed to stay below 70% load. HP is at 1000 which seems like it should be enough.

Is Yhorms machete my end game weapon? I started with Vordts Hammer and currently have the Executioner Greatsword +10.
Any weapon can be your endgame weapon. Funnily enough, Vordt's was one of mine...and so was the Greatsword (though I eventually replaced it with the Drang Hammers). I personally don't like the Machete because it's moveset is so one-note (that's also why I loved the Hammers so much). But you should simply use what you like using!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

McKracken posted:

Nameless King is designed to punish rollspamming. His moveset has just the right amount of delays between actions to catch a player with their pants down. Your best bet is either roll reactively, facetank with a greatshield, or spam ranged attacks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If you convert the Dragonslayer Armor's soul into a shied, that will make the Nameless King very easy.

It's also a good spot for Jolly Cooperation!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

Nameless King is designed to punish rollspamming. His moveset has just the right amount of delays between actions to catch a player with their pants down. Your best bet is either roll reactively, facetank with a greatshield, or spam ranged attacks.

For me Nameless is much easier with a shiled. Using an upgraded Lothric Knight Shield helps a lot since it has great stability (60 at +4) and 87 lightning def

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Another completely bonkers video from Ymfah! How to beat Gundyr with AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qxuyUQ5GU

The AI stuff is bullshit, it's weird glitches and sequence breaks all the way.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

Another completely bonkers video from Ymfah! How to beat Gundyr with AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-qxuyUQ5GU

The AI stuff is bullshit, it's weird glitches and sequence breaks all the way.

This rules

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
gently caress the lift to Prince Lothric. It loving sucks.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

MrQueasy posted:

gently caress the lift to Prince Lothric. It loving sucks.
Send it back down again before you exit at the top #selfcare

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

giZm posted:

Send it back down again before you exit at the top #selfcare

It doesn’t trigger consistently if you run over the button. But gently caress that noise, I don’t have to deal with it again this run now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
just don't die to lothric

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Arrhythmia posted:

just don't die to lothric

Ezpz :cool:

It took me a while to stop freaking out about the random bullshit magic spray that opens the second phase. I finally landed on “just dodge constantly until it’s gone then reassess what the hell larian is doing”

I never saw it, but I assume it’s possible for them to charge a death beam while the soulmass stuff is spraying around? That would suck.

Like champion gundyr, my main problem was patience. Mind the stamina bar, their health pools aren’t THAT bad.

Phew, definitely the roughest boss fight I’ve had since Pontiff. Though killing Crystal Sage 2 in the archives felt like a worse time. My spatial reasoning just stopped working in there for some reason.

Immediately after lothric, I went to archdragon peak and some red phantom invaded me. They were nice enough to wait until I finished killing one of those snake neck things and then promptly murdered me without ridiculous gimmicks. A true gentleman/lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Twin Princes has given me the hardest time across DS1, 2 and 3 plus Elden Ring. Pain in the rear end.

There's some good news because the gauntlet over that bridge is a decent place to farm souls. Good luck though.

that fight sucks.