Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar III the ranger died after 11 hours to the Ogres. I picked a fight after failing the speech checks (and I still had some rerolls left!) with them and tried to knock the TWO very highlighted pieces of wood down...and nothing happened. WTF is up with that.

I actually took down all 3 but set off the 2 gobbo's near the gate and they finished Gale off at the end. Next up: Comstar Goes Forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Finally beat the game for the first time after 230 hours (that includes lots of restarts, though). Final battle was a lot of fun, although I fell into the same trap with the reinforcements that I did with grenades, potions, and elixirs; i.e. "better save them for later, you never know."

Everyone got a happy ending except for Tav; the city was saved, Shadowheart, Astarian, and Wyll were free from their pasts, Gale finally learned from his mistakes, Karlach is 100% down with her new non-about-to-explode Illithid body, and after a bittersweet goodbye Lae'zel flew off with Orpheus to live her best life by killing a demigod.

Tav immediately went insane from the Urge though so I didn't get to actually interact with any of the epilogue save for the scene where you get ready to attack the party. :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I agree that the combat difficulty on Tactician and Honour mode is toughest before level 5, then drops off quite a bit. Some of the early Act 1 fights can be touch and go before you get your second attack and level 3 spells at level 5, but the Legendary abilities bosses get mostly don't change things too much and as folks have said you can largely trivialize them by knocking bosses Prone.

Once you get into Act 2 you start accumulating such powerful items the difficulty is almost trivial. I expect some of the big bosses will still be a bit fun but it's really not that tough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ketheric's legendary action can be somewhat tricky if you have a melee-centric comp but that was more or less the only challenging fight I had beyond Act 1. I've been maining a Sorcadin for this entire campaign though so I'm putting off Raphael/House of Grief until I'm confident enough in not owning myself.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
What was his mechanic? I talked him into the pit, disarmed the avatar then blinded it. Only thing he did for me was spawn adds.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I hope they add an even harder difficulty down the road. I'm currently doing honour mode, and it doesn't require nearly as much thought as I expected so I'm overkilling the gently caress out of it. Every boss is dying in one turn and I'm never really at risk of losing.

Probably the most fun so far has been planning out skill checks ahead of time, like respeccing to have the right proficiencies, stacking every temporary bonus under the sun, and bringing along a hireling paladin to guarantee I pass the za'thisk saving throws to get bonus action illithid powers.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Tonetta posted:

What was his mechanic? I talked him into the pit, disarmed the avatar then blinded it. Only thing he did for me was spawn adds.

He can spend a legendary action to do a 4d8 ranged attack against anyone that's being attacked by minions, following the Deadly Orders ability.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Tonetta posted:

You can talk him into the pit?!? I was doing Full bard persuade playthrough and I couldn't get an option.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If we’re talking about Moonrise I think you have to find and read a note to trigger that option.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

tarbrush posted:

You can talk him into the pit?!? I was doing Full bard persuade playthrough and I couldn't get an option.

just to be clear here, I did the phase 1 of the fight and just forgot about the legendary action because it never triggered. the pit I'm talking about is the same one the avatar spawns in, which is essentially a phase 2 skip, phase 3 being the avatar fight. to get the phase 2 skip, you basically have to browbeat him into joining his late wife from phase 1.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Finally beat the game for the first time after 230 hours (that includes lots of restarts, though). Final battle was a lot of fun, although I fell into the same trap with the reinforcements that I did with grenades, potions, and elixirs; i.e. "better save them for later, you never know."

Everyone got a happy ending except for Tav; the city was saved, Shadowheart, Astarian, and Wyll were free from their pasts, Gale finally learned from his mistakes, Karlach is 100% down with her new non-about-to-explode Illithid body, and after a bittersweet goodbye Lae'zel flew off with Orpheus to live her best life by killing a demigod.

Tav immediately went insane from the Urge though so I didn't get to actually interact with any of the epilogue save for the scene where you get ready to attack the party. :(

As Durge, if you accept Bhaal's inheritance it's too late to resist and you're ride-or-die evil. Defiance after that point is basically selecting "die".

Not sure if this is typical of the final battle, but I had Zlorb as an ally, but could only summon it during the first part. Once I got on top of the brain, all other allies were available except for chaos beast buddy was dimmed out. I guess it can't climb?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

poo poo-stirring take - alert still isn't very useful in honour mode. being mechanically skilled eliminates any use it could have in every encounter that isn't a forced surprise, which I think there's one in the entire game, and you could still game by sending in someone solo and having the party join in after the initial trigger. I'd rather give someone ritual longstrider if I ran out of other feats I wanted on a character.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I always initiate the Beholder fight by throwing a basilisk oil on the petrified drow. You still begin in a surprised state but it wastes all its time attacking the drow that is now on your side.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

I always initiate the Beholder fight by throwing a basilisk oil on the petrified drow. You still begin in a surprised state but it wastes all its time attacking the drow that is now on your side.

That isn't a beholder, and be very grateful for that

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

That isn't a beholder, and be very grateful for that

By level 12 I could take one, no problem.

Not so much at level 3 though!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thundarr posted:

As Durge, if you accept Bhaal's inheritance it's too late to resist and you're ride-or-die evil. Defiance after that point is basically selecting "die".

I didn't, but I lost to Orin in the 1v1 fight because I was a squishy Ranger/Rogue and she literally one-shotted me, which made dad disappointed enough to doom me.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Question about Shadowheart in Act3

Is there a way to get her portrait to change to white hair also since she changed her hair cut and color?

I know I can reset my Tav's portrait by using the mirror, but that won't work with the companions.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Rummage thru the rooms in Moonrise and you should find some letters from his late wife, read them. Before the first fight try to talk him into surrendering by mentioning her. Then during the rematch, ask him to surrender again and instead of picking up the fight where you left off he'll dive straight into the pit and you can start fighting the avatar. You'll still need to free Dame Aylin (assuming you didn't kill her in the Shadowfell).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was talking to my sister over Christmas dinner, and apparently she used to be in the Chiro (local youth movement) with Joachim Vleminckx, who is the art director for Baldur's Gate 3. Hometown hero, it really is a small country. I'd love to shake his hand, but he probably gets enough positive attention as is.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Comstar posted:

Comstar III the ranger died after 11 hours to the Ogres. I picked a fight after failing the speech checks (and I still had some rerolls left!) with them and tried to knock the TWO very highlighted pieces of wood down...and nothing happened. WTF is up with that.

I actually took down all 3 but set off the 2 gobbo's near the gate and they finished Gale off at the end. Next up: Comstar Goes Forth.

I think the wooden pillars are for the OGRES to use to knock down players raining arrows down on them from above

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Horace Kinch posted:

Rummage thru the rooms in Moonrise and you should find some letters from his late wife, read them. Before the first fight try to talk him into surrendering by mentioning her. Then during the rematch, ask him to surrender again and instead of picking up the fight where you left off he'll dive straight into the pit and you can start fighting the avatar. You'll still need to free Dame Aylin (assuming you didn't kill her in the Shadowfell).

Ty!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Ketheric's legendary action can be somewhat tricky if you have a melee-centric comp

That makes me nervous. I just started my first HM run and my Tav is a paladin (planning on dipping warlock after lvl 5), battle master Lae'Zel, tempest Shart, and Karlach that I respect'd to thief.

I'm a simple man, I don't like messing with spell slots and just like to cast BONK.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My advice would be to just focus on a clean transition into his second phase where your melee characters are all at high HP and there aren’t too many zombies left alive, assuming you fight him conventionally with swords instead of serving him up the Saren special.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Floppychop posted:

That makes me nervous. I just started my first HM run and my Tav is a paladin (planning on dipping warlock after lvl 5), battle master Lae'Zel, tempest Shart, and Karlach that I respect'd to thief.

I'm a simple man, I don't like messing with spell slots and just like to cast BONK.

oathbreaker paladin 7 / blade pact warlock 5 is a very strong combo, you can get 3x your Charisma bonus in weapon damage on top of your smites (pact weapon + Oathbreaker aura at level 7 + Diadem of Arcane Synergy which still procs off everything under the sun)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man I just realized because Florrick died in my game I didn't get Spellsparker. Unfortunate because I'm playing a Sorlock and that's a nice item.

Alfira better not die at Last Light Hope! Need dat robe baby

HM is fun as hell though because dumb poo poo is happening constantly and I'm not scumming to fix it

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is detect traps automatic when youre in stealth?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Detecting traps is always a Perception check, which is based on the Wisdom stat of each character in your party along with any proficiencies they have.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
The second I showed up at moonrise there was a big epic battle at the front gates and I killed everyone.

So what is everyone talking about with the freeing people and the potions and the Drow lady etc etc etc is this a different game?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

The second I showed up at moonrise there was a big epic battle at the front gates and I killed everyone.

So what is everyone talking about with the freeing people and the potions and the Drow lady etc etc etc is this a different game?

(act 2) you need to head to moonrise before passing the point of no return or else all of that will become inaccessible

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

oathbreaker paladin 7 / blade pact warlock 5 is a very strong combo, you can get 3x your Charisma bonus in weapon damage on top of your smites (pact weapon + Oathbreaker aura at level 7 + Diadem of Arcane Synergy which still procs off everything under the sun)

What's the benefit of taking warlock to 5 instead of just to 3 for the past of the blade?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Warlock gets an extra attack at L5 and if you’re not on honor mode it stacks with the one paladin gets.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

Warlock gets an extra attack at L5 and if you’re not on honor mode it stacks with the one paladin gets.

I'm on honor mode, so I wouldn't be getting the extra attack.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Even more things I didn't know after hundreds of hours: if you have a character with no bard levels successfully help Alfira with her song, that character gets the Perform action to use from then on.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Turds in magma posted:

You shouldn’t have done that. You did a bad thing.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Alas, in the second act I had some thoughts along the lines of 'I don't want to risk facing a guy who is invulnerable while I have no counter to that. That kind of combat sequence is really annoying. I will find some way to deal with that issue before I engage with Moonrise towers. I blindly trust that this won't get me drawn immediately into the end of the act and make me miss a bunch of stuff.'

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Greaseman posted:

Alas, in the second act I had some thoughts along the lines of 'I don't want to risk facing a guy who is invulnerable while I have no counter to that. That kind of combat sequence is really annoying. I will find some way to deal with that issue before I engage with Moonrise towers. I blindly trust that this won't get me drawn immediately into the end of the act and make me miss a bunch of stuff.'

Several people told you to go there first. I'm not spoilering this, multiple characters say you should go to Moonrise ASAP. They mean it go to that before going beyond any warning popups in the second act.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Lmao they’re gonna get the title changed again

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Black Noise posted:

Lmao they’re gonna get the title changed again

READ THE loving POPUPS AND LISTEN TO JAHEIRA (now out on Xbox!)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I'm on honor mode, so I wouldn't be getting the extra attack.

L5 also gets you L3 spells for Hunger of Hadar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Greaseman posted:

For what it's worth, while you've missed a couple of major sidequests with some pretty big rewards (including some stuff that continues on into act 3), you haven't derailed the main story or anything. It's not like you can see everything in one playthrough anyway so you might as well keep going and not stress out about it too much.