Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

my mother in law fills the emptiness in her heart by buying endless piles of poo poo for her grandkids

Sorry I'm just completely overwhelmed with gifts

Boomers and their "hobby" of collecting just tons of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
On that subject, don't do birthday parties for kids so young the only thing to do is invite all their classmates

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

On that subject, don't do birthday parties for kids so young the only thing to do is invite all their classmates

wrong

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ikanreed posted:

its a good way to make friends with other parents

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lobster shirt posted:

It is but it also inundates you with presents especially if you picked a bit of a bougie preschool. Ridiculous amounts of things.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

It is but it also inundates you with presents especially if you picked a bit of a bougie preschool. Ridiculous amounts of things.

??? you can just say "no presents" problem solved

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

we did exactly that, 'just turn up please but no gifts thanks'.

bing bong so simple

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh no, physical objects. Nooooooooooooo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Geniuses itt

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gifts are treasures, even if the only thing I'm gonna do with it is disposal.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its nice to make friends imo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Six year old unpacking what is clearly box 1 of 2 containing Lego sets: "actually I already have quite a lot of Lego, so I don't think I need this".

Of course, he did end up playing with it the next day, but still...

Also no giant cheese :(

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

after taking a huge number of christmas pictures it is proving very difficult to find one where both kids are smiling lol. there are a ton where e.g. my daughter is smiling but my son is picking his nose or my son is smiling but my daughter has turned her head around and is looking at something behind us. anyway. kids ftw.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

kecske posted:

we did exactly that, 'just turn up please but no gifts thanks'.

bing bong so simple

This is the way.

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh no, physical objects. Nooooooooooooo

Can't believe I'm the only parent that doesn't want to engrain consumerism into my child's brain.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's a difference between some gifts and an onslaught

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

BonHair posted:

Six year old unpacking what is clearly box 1 of 2 containing Lego sets: "actually I already have quite a lot of Lego, so I don't think I need this".

weird as hell lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kid is extremely bad at capitalism. It's great really.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

??? you can just say "no presents" problem solved

My 5yo got an invite just recently saying this. The family is moving to the Tiwi islands from Tasmania two days after the party, so it's understandable.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lobster shirt posted:

It's literally how we made friends with everyone in our neighborhood. We had a pitcher of cocktails ready at post-party pickup when my lid was in kindergarten, the cool people self selected to stay and hang out for a bit.

e: not everyone had cocktails BTW, we had coffee/sodas for people who didn't want to drink.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our youngest has been obsessed with roombas for about 2 years. Everything in the house is a roomba. There's the remote roomba, the pedometer roomba, the clock roomba, etc. He has even named the roomba that we have in the house for cat hair and he used to ride around on it. When we watch TV he wants to watch youtube videos of roombas. He keeps the lids of containers to play with them as though they were roombas. He was so overjoyed when he found out that the little toy roomba his meemaw gave him actually moves around like a real roomba that I thought he was going to explode. He loves it so much he napped with it.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Greg Legg posted:

Our youngest has been obsessed with roombas for about 2 years. Everything in the house is a roomba. There's the remote roomba, the pedometer roomba, the clock roomba, etc. He has even named the roomba that we have in the house for cat hair and he used to ride around on it. When we watch TV he wants to watch youtube videos of roombas. He keeps the lids of containers to play with them as though they were roombas. He was so overjoyed when he found out that the little toy roomba his meemaw gave him actually moves around like a real roomba that I thought he was going to explode. He loves it so much he napped with it.

This kid is going places (on top of a roomba)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My kids, unwrapping a MakerBot: "Programming!!!"

Nerds!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

my kid always knew santa et al were fake but enjoys pretending they're real, so we play along, it's pretty cool

i just never did santa. my 8 year old has literally never gotten a present from him and she really does not give a poo poo. she just thinks its a fun thing that grown ups do to tease them, or sometimes dress up as. its like she's the one who's just playing along with her corny grandparents

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Our 1 year old definitely got overstimulated and had to take a nap mid-presents.

Our wounds were mostly self inflicted though. Grandparents got big stuff we asked for like a playhouse and play kitchen.

We topped with toys that I am now systematically stealing back and hiding.

E: the hit toy is just boxes of tissues. Girl learned to blow her nose so proud

Chad Sexington has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Dec 26, 2023

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Daughter ran face first into a door corner, now she's wearing a big bandage around her head like some Laurel and Hardy bit and getting all the snacks and toys she asks for.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
An update, the kids got spoiled. A few garbage toys from their main grandparents (my parents) and lots of clothes. I guess it’s mostly self inflicted since we didn’t specify what to get them and the kids didn’t ask for much (the clothes are very much wanted). They don’t watch commercials or go to toy stores. Long gone are the days where a kid would research the toy ads in the newspaper or the toys r us booklet. I guess Amazon gives one out every year now but they didn’t really know what to do with it yet(3 and 6). I’m sure as they get older there will be specific lists especially once their friends get older too and they share what they got for Christmas.

We got them more thoughtful gifts and a big toy each but they haven’t opened them yet as we let my mom’s gifts have their day. The kids went wild over her gifts which made her happy.

The bane of my existence are loving Hatchimal’s and L.O.L. surprise poo poo. Our oldest got some Hatchimals because the neighbor girl had some and there were plastic egg pieces everywhere. Plus you just toss the drat plastic egg it comes in. Nothing but waste and they don’t even do anything, just tiny little plastic toys with plastic accessories.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there anywhere I can Livestream coverage of London NYE this year?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there anywhere I can Livestream coverage of London NYE this year?

I think the BBC stream it on their YouTube channel

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Votskomit posted:

Daughter ran face first into a door corner, now she's wearing a big bandage around her head like some Laurel and Hardy bit and getting all the snacks and toys she asks for.

Oh no, I did something similar when I was a little kid and it was so scary. I bet she learned the same lesson I did at least.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It would be weird if she learned a different lesson.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The six year old just got the birth of Jesus story for the first time. He had one question: how many people were there in the world then?

I tried to avoid telling it because there's so much context he doesn't get, care about or need, but my wife for some reason decided he needed to know.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"huh... so all those folks who just didn't hear about him went to hell?"

YEP.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

See, that's some of the context he's gonna wait a few years for. He was just interested in the census more than the saviour

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
what animals showed up? did you teach them about the medicinal properties of myrrh?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
a 9 year old in 2023 talks about "Rick Rolling" but truly has no concept of what it was/is and thinks it amounts to singing Rick Astley at yourself in the bathroom mirror.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My kids are similar. They email a youtube link to the Rick Astley song and then come to me and yell "I rick rolled you!!!" before I even get the email

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

a 9 year old in 2023 talks about "Rick Rolling" but truly has no concept of what it was/is and thinks it amounts to singing Rick Astley at yourself in the bathroom mirror.

Truely Bloody Mary still goes on

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Owned

Another Bill posted:

My kids are similar. They email a youtube link to the Rick Astley song and then come to me and yell "I rick rolled you!!!" before I even get the email

Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001