Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Chronojam posted:

It's just so easy!

Easy to forget.

If every vehicle you've ever driven (until the last maybe five years) had manual lights, automatic headlights would certainly suggest you don't need to do anything but adjust for highbeams. Especially because some other more modern cars operate precisely that way. And like in many other technologies, if kind of sucks to cede control, understanding, and responsibility of operation or maintenance (and I resent having to even own a car just to exist, so you understand me).

For one truck I believe you can't even turn headlights off without shifting out of drive (in order to not blind somebody ahead who is reversing, for example).

Forget lights? I have to be constantly relearning how to operate a vehicle. And its even worse at the other intersections of life and supposed innovation. And it sure doesn't seem to happen in service to the user.

Tech nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Me and my SO share the same cars. She's 5'3" and I am 6'2", mostly it's a PITA when I get into the car too fast after she's driven and I get stuck between the wheel and seat. Fortunately it's really only got move forwards, move backwards when you release a lever. Honestly never seen it as a problem that needed solving.

Bigger difference for my wife and I (5' 2", me almost 6' 3").

She got a 2003 MB C240 in 2004 that I had to adjust the seat just to get in. And that was an electric seat. And even then it was just uncomfortable for myself because the room between the door and console had my legs cramped.

Well, we sold it almost 2 years ago so now she's driving a 2009 Kia Spectra which is considerably roomer. And it has about 20k miles on it (her mom stopped driving at 95).

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Bigger difference for my wife and I (5' 2", me almost 6' 3").

She got a 2003 MB C240 in 2004 that I had to adjust the seat just to get in. And that was an electric seat. And even then it was just uncomfortable for myself because the room between the door and console had my legs cramped.

Well, we sold it almost 2 years ago so now she's driving a 2009 Kia Spectra which is considerably roomer. And it has about 20k miles on it (her mom stopped driving at 95).

Tech Nightmares: when you buy a new car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have automatic lights (both front and rear) and I still turn them fully on after dark or in poor visibility conditions. It's just such an easy habit to do, and you never get caught looking like a loving moron because you're driving a vehicle that operates differently.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I have automatic lights (both front and rear) and I still turn them fully on after dark or in poor visibility conditions. It's just such an easy habit to do, and you never get caught looking like a loving moron because you're driving a vehicle that operates differently.

you're canadian we're expected to use our lights.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

I was driving home the other day after having some dealer service done, and was in the middle of griping about people relying too heavily on automatic lights when I realized that I was driving at dusk with my lights off because the dealer had turned my lights off of auto.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
They should just make headlights always-on on new cars. How bad a drain can LEDS be? They're always-on on motorcycles

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jesus III posted:

They should just make headlights always-on on new cars. How bad a drain can LEDS be? They're always-on on motorcycles

Probably so, yes. Is there any reason at this point to not have DRLs include the rear position lights?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Mazda’s headlight logic works pretty well for me.

The headlight stalk goes OFF < AUTO > Parking > ON, with AUTO as the neutral position. The car stays at AUTO by default, and it won’t stay on OFF if you turn it there. It bounces right back to AUTO. This lets you kill your DRLs/other lights if you need to for some reason, but you can’t put the car in a position where it won’t turn lights on. This lets you kill the lights for something like a drive-in movie but prevents the vast amount of “I forgot to turn on my lights” situations.

And if you leave the lights in the ON position, it’ll kill the lights when you turn the car off. So theoretically you could leave your lights in the ON position all the time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

On my brother's last car the headlights worked liked that and he did leave them on all the time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To be fair, it was always a ridiculous tech nightmare to have ignition and electrical master on the same switch, and it was further a tech nightmare to allow the headlights to work without the electrical bus being turned on in full.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://news.yahoo.com/amazons-prime-video-will-start-serving-ads-on-january-29-unless-you-pay-extra-040529534.html

Amazon's Prime Video will start serving ads on January 29 unless you pay extra

You'll have to pay $3 a month on top of your subscription to get rid of commercials.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

kefkafloyd posted:

Mazda’s headlight logic works pretty well for me.

The headlight stalk goes OFF < AUTO > Parking > ON, with AUTO as the neutral position. The car stays at AUTO by default, and it won’t stay on OFF if you turn it there. It bounces right back to AUTO. This lets you kill your DRLs/other lights if you need to for some reason, but you can’t put the car in a position where it won’t turn lights on. This lets you kill the lights for something like a drive-in movie but prevents the vast amount of “I forgot to turn on my lights” situations.

And if you leave the lights in the ON position, it’ll kill the lights when you turn the car off. So theoretically you could leave your lights in the ON position all the time.

That sounds ideal. Every time we have a foggy morning I turn my lights on and without fail I'll step out in the parking lot and it will ding at me and I'll say "Thank you!" out loud and then turn off the lights. If it weren't for the warning ding I'd have a dead battery after work every single time. And every time I'm left wondering why vehicles default to "leave the lights on when you turn it off" instead of automatically turning off with the ignition. Is using your car battery as a flashlight that common?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yet another thing Saab got right back in the 1980s, exactly how my 900 works, I just leave the light on the on position.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tagra posted:

That sounds ideal. Every time we have a foggy morning I turn my lights on and without fail I'll step out in the parking lot and it will ding at me and I'll say "Thank you!" out loud and then turn off the lights. If it weren't for the warning ding I'd have a dead battery after work every single time. And every time I'm left wondering why vehicles default to "leave the lights on when you turn it off" instead of automatically turning off with the ignition. Is using your car battery as a flashlight that common?

I don’t think it’s very common at this point, I’ve been driving since 2005 and I’ve never owned a car where the lights will stay on when the electrical system is turned off.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I accidentally killed a friend's car battery while playing DD because I assumed her lights would shut off automatically in high school. My '97 Chevy Malibu's lights would turn off automatically, but her '99 Ford Contour's lights had to be turned off and on manually.

If you want to bully a bunch of astrophotographers, roll up to a star party with your lights on. Amateur astronomers and astrophotographers aren't human, so we deserve it.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

BiggerBoat posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/amazons-prime-video-will-start-serving-ads-on-january-29-unless-you-pay-extra-040529534.html

Amazon's Prime Video will start serving ads on January 29 unless you pay extra

You'll have to pay $3 a month on top of your subscription to get rid of commercials.

2023 was the year I returned to torrents. It’s a pain in the rear end setting everything up and pulling new content, and I don’t feel great about it morally, but the number of services and their variable quality of content finally broke my pain threshold.

Instead, I’ve switched to a number Patreon subs with my entertainment money. It goes directly to I like and want to support and who wouldn’t be making cool stuff in the traditional media system.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 27, 2023

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

2023 was the year I returned to torrents. It’s a pain in the rear end setting everything up and pulling new content, and I don’t like don’t feel great about it morally, but the number of services and their variable quality of content finally broke my pain threshold.

Instead, I’ve switched to a number Patreon subs with my entertainment money. It goes directly to I like and want to support and who wouldn’t be making cool stuff in the traditional media system.

Password sharing is the final bastion of family interconnectedness we have left in America. We have a Hulu, parents have a Prime, brother has Max, and in-laws have Netflix. We visit the latter often enough that logging into Netflix on their wifi gets rid of their stupid account sharing crap for a few months.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

2023 was the year I returned to torrents. It’s a pain in the rear end setting everything up and pulling new content, and I don’t feel great about it morally, but the number of services and their variable quality of content finally broke my pain threshold.

The thing is: we're already paying for no ads. Every single one of these companies sells you the service based on the idea that pay to play = no advertisements but, once they hook in their base, immediately pull this poo poo. Sirius radio comes to mind. "No commercials" was their headline pitch and it only lasted like 2 years or some poo poo. See also: YouTube and the ad blocker bullshit.

NOBODY wants to watch commercials but they seem to drive EVERYTHING and I guess the economy will collapse if no one is reminded that beer, soft drinks and fast food exist. We MUST view the commercial, even if we pay not to. God drat, it's frustrating. This is why I like reading books. Do audiobooks have ads? Yet?

I also learned recently that most countries don't allow drug companies to advertise and I really wish that were the case here in the States. A mean can dream I suppose. I never understood why hospitals and drug companies advertise.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing is: we're already paying for no ads. Every single one of these companies sells you the service based on the idea that pay to play = no advertisements but, once they hook in their base, immediately pull this poo poo. Sirius radio comes to mind. "No commercials" was their headline pitch and it only lasted like 2 years or some poo poo. See also: YouTube and the ad blocker bullshit.

NOBODY wants to watch commercials but they seem to drive EVERYTHING and I guess the economy will collapse if no one is reminded that beer, soft drinks and fast food exist. We MUST view the commercial, even if we pay not to. God drat, it's frustrating. This is why I like reading books. Do audiobooks have ads? Yet?

I also learned recently that most countries don't allow drug companies to advertise and I really wish that were the case here in the States. A mean can dream I suppose. I never understood why hospitals and drug companies advertise.

Free money has ended and now enshittification is coming for everything. If it drives people to disconnect from lovely services I think it'll end up as a net win.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But, as Netflix password sharing proved, it's not driving customers away. They just grumble a bit and pay for the new no ads tier or just put up with the ads.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Prime Streaming is also just a weird product which is kinda bundled with what's basically a shipping service and is kinda mostly weird random stuff with a few good things, but then they also occasionally throw money at it for high-budget own shows?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I had written up a big tongue in cheek thing but it's probably better to just answer with: they are privatizing public research to make a profit, and they continue privatized care to make a profit, because capitalism is our god and we can only socialize losses, not gains.

It's horrible for everyone, costs more for everyone, and will never go away without a revolution since our government also serves capital before it serves people.

What I'm saying is: definitely get a job in medicine, the world won't try to suck your soul out at every turn! Not at all!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I wish it were more practical for the average user to cut all the streaming services that get far more business than they deserve in proportion to the quality of service they continue to degrade.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Netflix, Amazon, et al. are tech companies, not movie or television studios. And the studios and networks want that fat Netflix cash and are completely run by businessmen who have no background in entertainment and consume very little of it if any.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

BiggerBoat posted:

Do audiobooks have ads? Yet?

Don't say that too loudly...

quote:

It is absolutely wild to me the amount of drug and health advertising in the states. We have a gaming friend who is usually watching football in the background and we can hear the ads when we're chatting with him on Discord. And promotions for specific hospitals, even. it's all very :psyduck:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Star Man posted:

Netflix, Amazon, et al. are tech companies, not movie or television studios. And the studios and networks want that fat Netflix cash and are completely run by businessmen who have no background in entertainment and consume very little of it if any.

Netflix has produced their own shows and has multiple of their own studios , is building others and so does Amazon who owns MGM. Wtf are you talking about? Both are notably a part of the MPAA and the same crowd.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Frankly I don't have a problem with advertisement in and of itself - I get why its there and ad breaks have been a fact of life since well before I was even born. What I DO have a very big problem with is ads from right-wing lunatics, religious lunatics, fringe conspiracy lunatics or just openly anti-lgbtq/racist lunatics that either go on forever (to the point of being longer than the video I'm watching), are designed to manipulate and sucker in new converts, or just actively piss off whoever disagrees with them. Which by all accounts have been showing up with alarmingly greater frequency. And since there's no kind of standard break length like there is on TV and very little if anything in the way of vetting process you'll inevitably end up seeing more of it.

I'd sooner cut off my own arm than do anything that supports that kind of vile poo poo.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gen z has already been trained back into ads faster than millenials were being trained off them, with endless usual placement on scroll media

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BiggerBoat posted:

It's because health care in the US is treated like any other for profit industry rather than a necessary public service. It is the same fundamental problem as any other essential service in the US that has been subsumed by greedy rent-seeking parasites with the assistance of their bipartisan allies in our government.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OddObserver posted:

Prime Streaming is also just a weird product which is kinda bundled with what's basically a shipping service and is kinda mostly weird random stuff with a few good things, but then they also occasionally throw money at it for high-budget own shows?

Yeah we have it for the shipping and not for the video. And whenever another price increase happens I think that will be the point where we end that too as we order from them a lot less now than we used to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tagra posted:

Ah, poo poo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tagra posted:

It is absolutely wild to me the amount of drug and health advertising in the states. We have a gaming friend who is usually watching football in the background and we can hear the ads when we're chatting with him on Discord. And promotions for specific hospitals, even. it's all very :psyduck:

Even when I was a lot younger, the whole "ask your doctor" pitch struck me as weird. Ask my doctor? The gently caress, man? He's got the degree and I'm the one who's feeling bad/sick that's seeking his expertise. Shouldn't he be the one telling ME about the benefits and potential uses of Abilify or whatever the gently caress?

Not totally tech related but I also loathe the sped up disclaimers that drug ads do. A lot of ads do this actually. It's like an audio version of 5 point fine print or or a 3 page financial disclaimer.

termsandservicesmayapply.offermynotbevailableinutah,floridaornorthdakota.enrollingentitlescitibanktothebloodofyourfirstbornchild.ifthisproductshouldkillorharmyouninanywaygofuckyourselfandwegetallyourmoney.everythingwejustsaidinthatadiscompleteandtotalbullshit.we'respeedingthisupbecausethisadcostsmoneybilledbythesecondsowewanttorushthroughitasfastaswecanbecausethisadvertisementcontainsnothingbutlies.eatshit,customer.welcometoCostco.Iloveyou.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah we have it for the shipping and not for the video. And whenever another price increase happens I think that will be the point where we end that too as we order from them a lot less now than we used to.
I was in it from the beginning for the same reason and I bailed on their last increase. Or maybe it was the one before that. Between the price increases and a several month period in 2021 where they took literal weeks of shipping for all of my Prime orders,, they lost me.

I wish I could say my Amazon purchases plummeted, but living in a rural area, they did not. But I've found it not difficult at all to organize around minimum shipping.

So good job, Amazon.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Voidwereprohibitedbylaw

They always sound like I am fast forwarding them on an old stereo or something.

Maybe we are entering the Max Headroom dystopia with blipverts, except it's disclaimers causing heads to explode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Voidwereprohibitedbylaw

They always sound like I am fast forwarding them on an old stereo or something.

Maybe we are entering the Max Headroom dystopia with blipverts, except it's disclaimers causing heads to explode.

So we have fine print we can't read/see, 4 page disclaimers with language we can't understand and sped up text to speech that we can't hear. But the onus for not getting ripped off is on the consumer because, hey, it's a free market and no one held a gun to your head, right?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

We contemplate cutting Prime every year, but my dad uses our account constantly and I feel obliged to keep it.

I pay for a YouTube family plan so that my nieces don't see ads. I couldn't believe the stuff that was being advertised during videos aimed at young kids. I absolutely hate that Google won and I pay for the service, but damnit, protecting my nieces from the constant ads far outweighed any principled stand I had against paying for YouTube.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Even when I was a lot younger, the whole "ask your doctor" pitch struck me as weird. Ask my doctor? The gently caress, man? He's got the degree and I'm the one who's feeling bad/sick that's seeking his expertise. Shouldn't he be the one telling ME about the benefits and potential uses of Abilify or whatever the gently caress?
I can think of a few situations where drug advertising seems potentially beneficial and not unethical, mostly for diseases that are chronic and you're on a not-perfect-but-was-the-best-available-at-the-time treatment already. Example:

Anti-TNF drugs are a class of synthetic antibodies that target a particular immune protein. They're about 20 years old. Among other things, they are used to treat arthritis. The big ones are infliximab/Remicade (given as a ~2 hour IV infusion every couple months) and adalimumab/Humira (monthly sub-cutaneous injection). Another class of drugs developed in the last few years are JAK inhibitors. They are small molecule drugs that target a different immune protein and have similar indications for use and side effects. They are typically a daily pill instead of an injection.

If I'm a rheumatologist whose been treating someone for arthritis for the last 10 years with an anti-TNF drug and they have no particular complaints, I'm probably going to keep their treatment the same and not suggest changing anything even if a new drug exists now.

If I'm a person with arthritis who got put on an anti-TNF 10 years ago because that was the best option that existed at the time, I'm probably not going to complain about it at every doctor's visit, even if I actually really hate giving myself injections/going to an infusion center. If I see a TV ad that tells me nothing besides "New arthritis treating pill exists now", it maybe prompts me to ask about new treatments that didn't exist a decade ago and might avoid the injections I hate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BiggerBoat posted:

Not totally tech related but I also loathe the sped up disclaimers that drug ads do. A lot of ads do this actually. It's like an audio version of 5 point fine print or or a 3 page financial disclaimer.

termsandservicesmayapply.offermynotbevailableinutah,floridaornorthdakota.enrollingentitlescitibanktothebloodofyourfirstbornchild.ifthisproductshouldkillorharmyouninanywaygofuckyourselfandwegetallyourmoney.everythingwejustsaidinthatadiscompleteandtotalbullshit.we'respeedingthisupbecausethisadcostsmoneybilledbythesecondsowewanttorushthroughitasfastaswecanbecausethisadvertisementcontainsnothingbutlies.eatshit,customer.welcometoCostco.Iloveyou.

Which is weird, because the stupid drug ads I end up overhearing seem to have specifically slowed down the speed that they do that, such that half the ad time seems to be speaking about side effects and disclaimers. The FDA put out new rules about this, but I think this was happening before then; maybe it's just adoption before it's mandatory.

BiggerBoat posted:

So we have fine print we can't read/see, 4 page disclaimers with language we can't understand and sped up text to speech that we can't hear. But the onus for not getting ripped off is on the consumer because, hey, it's a free market and no one held a gun to your head, right?

Something something Mandatory Binding Arbitration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Aren’t all the streaming services losing money? Or at least have been for a long time.