Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My elite strap battery went out :( . I plug it into the headset, headset beeps and says it's detected, then 5 seconds later it drops off and doesn't power the headset. The support experience wasn't horrible but kind of weird, first person wanted me to try things I said I tried in my original email but I did it anyways, then the 2nd reply was from a completely different person, and then 3rd reply was from another different person.

quote:

Upon checking your device information, I would like to inform you that you are eligible for a warranty replacement.

In this case, I'm going to coordinate with my team for this one

So I guess I'll be getting a new one? Last I read they hadn't fixed the issue with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Danith posted:

My elite strap battery went out :( . I plug it into the headset, headset beeps and says it's detected, then 5 seconds later it drops off and doesn't power the headset. The support experience wasn't horrible but kind of weird, first person wanted me to try things I said I tried in my original email but I did it anyways, then the 2nd reply was from a completely different person, and then 3rd reply was from another different person.

So I guess I'll be getting a new one? Last I read they hadn't fixed the issue with them.

They fixed the firmware and have started selling it again.

Instead of a Total Recall that they should have done, they are replacing as failures happen. For a failure that might be universal given enough time.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MarcusSA posted:

Are you talking about Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2? I don’t see the first one on steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732690/FIVE_NIGHTS_AT_FREDDYS_HELP_WANTED/

Because its a "VR Supported" not VR Only title.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

God drat the passthrough on the Q3 really is something. I’m coming from an Index so the bar is low, but still. That zero moment when I put it on and it felt like I was just looking straight through from the get-go was really something. Peaking around the edge and the passthrough view perfectly matched the actual view.

The little MR blobby shooter was pretty neat.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Are we sharing referrals here? If you don't activate your quest before registering one you can share a store credit.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Band space is lots of fun and it's free.

https://www.meta.com/experiences/5207196326034561/

You can even do customs and I figured out how to add them with just my Quest using Mobile VR Station file manager thing

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Bad Munki posted:

God drat the passthrough on the Q3 really is something. I’m coming from an Index so the bar is low, but still. That zero moment when I put it on and it felt like I was just looking straight through from the get-go was really something. Peaking around the edge and the passthrough view perfectly matched the actual view.

Its just loving cool. Like is it a bit grainey and sort of early smart phone video quality? Sure. Will it have a ton of applications outside of enterprise stuff? Probably not right now.

But just to have that tech available, at all, in your home at the quality we have it for that price is just awesome.

I always fold laundry and watch youtube in MR and I always have a moment where I just kind of stop and have to absorb the "future" moment Im living.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

I had the same reaction when I checked out passthrough pr0n.

I also watched a VR vid of a chick going down on me, while my gf was doing it for real.

Then I played Puzzling Places.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ChocNitty posted:

I also watched a VR vid of a chick going down on me, while my gf was doing it for real.

You had a good go at it. Thanks for your input!!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Best 3D painting options, quest native? I know it's been discussed recently here but I can't find that string of posts.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Full-body tracking + VaM with passthrough + IRL person and were closer to that scene from Blade Runner 2049 than most realize :agesilaus:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Noooooot super impressed with the Q3 battery life but I’m unsure how much of that is just what it is, vs how much is compared to my wife’s (now old) Q2+bobo battery, vs how much is compared to just playing endlessly wired on my Index.

Will definitely be adding some battery power though. Not sure if I’ll go with the bobo strap or what, I am actually finding the default strap just fine and dandy, which is kind of a surprise.

e: Anyone have a link to the bobovr m2 q3 adapter for printing? Might give it a try just for kicks.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 26, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

Noooooot super impressed with the Q3 battery life but I’m unsure how much of that is just what it is, vs how much is compared to my wife’s (now old) Q2+bobo battery, vs how much is compared to just playing endlessly wired on my Index.

Will definitely be adding some battery power though. Not sure if I’ll go with the bobo strap or what, I am actually finding the default strap just fine and dandy, which is kind of a surprise.

Yeah it takes 2 Bobo VR batteries to get me through an afternoon of playing.

Compared to the Q2 where 1 battery was a normal session for me.

Edit: The official adapter kit is much better, but here a printed one that worked for me.

https://www.printables.com/model/609928/comments

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 26, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bondematt posted:

Yeah it takes 2 Bobo VR batteries to get me through an afternoon of playing.

Thanks for this number, actually. If we do decide to get us each new straps, there was the question of skipping all the extra batteries and just splitting the two we have from my wife’s m2 strap between us. But it sounds like we’d quite possibly each want two, so we’ll need at least another set. The kids would probably rather we let the q2 keep its two batteries as well anyhow. Yeehaw!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks for this number, actually. If we do decide to get us each new straps, there was the question of skipping all the extra batteries and just splitting the two we have from my wife’s m2 strap between us. But it sounds like we’d quite possibly each want two, so we’ll need at least another set. The kids would probably rather we let the q2 keep its two batteries as well anyhow. Yeehaw!

Anytime! If you print that adapter, PETG worked better than PLA did. Anything with some flex will work though since the pieces it clips to are curved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: AUSGOONS :siren:

Scorptec has the Vive Wireless Adapter for 50% off at $300AUD!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

Fake. You typed pr0n, cmon buddy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Going to Slashdot to comment on a random post about how someone touched my peepee while I was watching pr0n.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone got any recommendations on decent/not-too-expensive powerbanks for a Vive Wireless adapter seeing as I just dropped money on one? I'm not too familiar with Powerbank brands, but I know I need Quick-Charge 3 for it to work.

Looking at maybe the INIU brand? This one

Or this one?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

I don't mean this derisively but who in their right minds would bother with wireless vive?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Kwolok posted:

I don't mean this derisively but who in their right minds would bother with wireless vive?

1 own some sort of Vive
2 read all the posts here about how going without cables changed people's VR lives
3 realize that the wireless Vive kit is cheaper than a quest, and/or do not want to buy entire library again on quest, or just hates Meta

It's not that complicated

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

pun pundit posted:

1 own some sort of Vive
2 read all the posts here about how going without cables changed people's VR lives
3 realize that the wireless Vive kit is cheaper than a quest, and/or do not want to buy entire library again on quest, or just hates Meta

It's not that complicated

paying 2/3 the price for something that is now 7 years old feels like a choice and a half especially when a quest 2 could be gotten cheaper and honestly performs better with steam link anyhow...

The meta quest 2 is $250 (and can be found MUCH cheaper second hand), has considerably better resolution and a theoretical higher refresh rate, while also being fully compatible with steam link now that its released proper. I must be missing something to not understand why the vive wireless adapter is nothing but a money trap.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 26, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kwolok posted:

paying 2/3 the price for something that is now 7 years old feels like a choice and a half especially when a quest 2 could be gotten cheaper and honestly performs better with steam link anyhow...

The meta quest 2 is $250 (and can be found MUCH cheaper second hand), has considerably better resolution and a theoretical higher refresh rate, while also being fully compatible with steam link now that its released proper. I must be missing something to not understand why the vive wireless adapter is nothing but a money trap.

vive headset + lighthouse controllers + trackers makes the wireless adapter a much better option for fullbody users.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kwolok posted:

Some people may own Vive Pro 2s.
Some people may still main use vive pros.
Its also zero* latency when compared to "any" of the stand alones on wifi.

The wireless adapter is actually quite good. If I honestly cared about wires I'd break mine out again. Setup was minimal and after the handful of early updates all the small things like heat problems went away.

1/2 off is 1/2 off. You're also talking USD. AUS is wild with prices. Its not the same world.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kwolok posted:

Meta Quest 2 is $440 in monopoly money.

Also the Vive Pro 2 is...3 years old? Better resolution and FOV than the quest 2, but overall seemed kinda poo poo.

I can't fault someone for not wanting to be in Meta's ecosystem.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah meta can gently caress right off that's true, I wish there was a better leader in VR

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
It sucks that Facebook are the ones that have figured all this out but the Quest 3 is so, so much better than anything else I’ve used. I had a Vive and it was fine but for-sure a dated experience in 2023. The Vive XR Elite was a huge upgrade but there were tons of little asterisks everywhere throughout the experience and I’ve never felt really totally happy with it (and given that I can overlook a lot of issues for tech novelty, that’s saying something).

A couple weeks in, the Quest 3 works. It can be up and running from taking it out of the box in a few minutes and playing with it after that is near instant. I have to redraw boundaries sometimes which is fine because it takes ten seconds. The UI in general, in fact, is great. It’s comfy to wear for at least an hour, even on my bison-like head. The screens look very sharp to me and not having a cord flopping around is wonderful. My main use case is Steam Link and, again, it goes with no problems at all. If I need to take a sec to deal with something else I can pass the real world through and then get back to the game. Doing poo poo in VR doesn’t require me to ask if it’s worth the effort anymore, because it’s so painless!

It’s not perfect and there are people for whom the lack of full body tracking etc. might be an issue, and if you’ve been incrementally hopping around across various models of headsets over the years it might not be as impressive. If you’re new and just want to drive a racecar or swing a sword around while giggling like a maniac, though, this is the one to get. I really can’t say enough good things about it. My fiancee and I are having loads of fun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Does anyone know anything about https://www.lynx-r.com/? I hadn't heard about them until yesterday when JMJ held a concert at the Versailles which was apparently using it to provide a mixed-reality experience for the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaLHTsAH9Dc
(The description states the recording will only be available until 8pm CET on the 27th, 27.5 hours from now)

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Has the extra tracking apps become better in 2023? I was trying out slimevr to use an old phone as a tracker and they were advertising a simple doodad you could make to use as trackers. Using my daily phone and an old phone strapped to my legs worked with a bit of fiddling, but was a bit of a hassle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Lots of people got a Quest on Christmas day. On the slowest days of the year, on summer, I saw something like 3000 daily referrals. When Quest 3 released, it climbed up to 14k or so. Today it's almost 45k daily referrals.

75k today.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Why is it that playing custom songs in Beat Saber is such an ordeal, but in Synth Riders you can just drop songs into a folder and don't have to downgrade the app and they work perfectly? I thought Beat Saber disallowed custom songs because of copyright concerns, but then why does Synth Riders allow it? My modded Beat Saber started randomly crashing and I kinda want to play some of the newer music packs so been thinking of restoring back to the most recent version, even though I like my custom songs. :effort:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Synth Riders knew it needed a thing to get any kind of foothold against Beat Saber, every other rhythm game on Quest allows custom songs too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Danith posted:

Why is it that playing custom songs in Beat Saber is such an ordeal, but in Synth Riders you can just drop songs into a folder and don't have to downgrade the app and they work perfectly? I thought Beat Saber disallowed custom songs because of copyright concerns, but then why does Synth Riders allow it? My modded Beat Saber started randomly crashing and I kinda want to play some of the newer music packs so been thinking of restoring back to the most recent version, even though I like my custom songs. :effort:

They want you to buy their song packs instead.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Collateral Damage posted:

Does anyone know anything about https://www.lynx-r.com/? I hadn't heard about them until yesterday when JMJ held a concert at the Versailles which was apparently using it to provide a mixed-reality experience for the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaLHTsAH9Dc
(The description states the recording will only be available until 8pm CET on the 27th, 27.5 hours from now)

Every so often I post some brief catch-up news about the "other" headsets. Last news from Lynx is they're aiming to begin full production in Feb 2024-ish.

They've done a few small production runs to refine what needed changing before a factory starts cranking them out, and that's a long process. They're at the end of that now. In the past it has been very hard to tell what's exactly going on, but they're a lot clearer about it now.

They are a fully open source design with a novel optical solution and a flip-up visor type design. They were doing hot looking passthrough and MR and hand tracking before any of that was cool, but that was a few years ago now and it is not today as cutting edge as it was then.

Still, they're a different player with an actual product. (Well, they will be soon, anyway.)

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Metric Skeleton posted:

It sucks that Facebook are the ones that have figured all this out but the Quest 3 is so, so much better than anything else I’ve used.

Yes, I bought mine planning to try it and return but it's waaaaay better than I expected. Quest 2 had all these friction points but this eliminates them, looks much better because of optics, adds mixed reality and improved PCvr streaming, and actually has some good games. I have major issues with meta as a company but you can tell they have a lot of talented people working on headsets.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I actually can’t seem to get OUT of the sweet spot with the lens separation. Like, it all looks great to me. I set it to around 59.5 because that’s what I’d measured and used on my Index, but it seems like it pretty much doesn’t matter.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Fake. You typed pr0n, cmon buddy

Sorry, I was high as a georgia pine when I posted that.

If one were to take a glass half full perspective on Meta, we’d say that we’re fortunate that our devices and content are tied to an 800 billion dollar company with a ceo that has a legitimate interest in VR.

They have so much money that a couple hundred million in operating losses is nothing. Money spent on business apps and metaverse failed ventures is nothing. These losses are all fully subsidized by investor money. Meta’s market cap has more than doubled in the past 12 months.

Quest 3 being sold at a loss. The lax refund policy on games and apps. Including the most expensive to develop native VR game for free. Allowing the device access to Steam, Applab, Sidequest, and Android emulators. The discount code referral program. Allowing third party headstraps. They’re subsidized losses that encourage growth. Plus the frequent updates and added features. The amount they spend on R&D. The big advertising campaigns.

Sony has far less money. They’re decades past their glory days when they dominated all the consumer electronics markets. And now they’ve done the opposite of everything I just mentioned.

$50 of you want Call of the Mountain code with the headset purchase. No refunds on games. Closed off to any other platforms. No non gaming content. No major features added with updates. No third party headstraps. No major Sony IP’s for native VR games. Will likely end up like the vita.

So we’re fortunate. But if you hate Meta that bad, you can buy a Pico and get on a sinking ship.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, the only reason I bought a Quest 3 is for Steam VR, and because I know that Meta sells the headsets at a loss. I've never purchased anything from the store, even for free (Edit: Scratch that, got the Steam Link app), never even launched the built in apps, use throwaway accounts, and I have turned almost every feature in the Quest 3's headset off that might relate to tracking. I know it still takes a bunch of data, so my next home project is to set up a Pi-Hole, which I've been meaning to do anyway, to block any FB/Meta network traffic running to the Quest.

Can ya tell I don't like Zuckerberg?

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 26, 2023

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah its unfortunate as hell Meta are the ones leading the industry but that video where they showed off all the R&D headsets pushing different types of zeniths with fidelity really hammered how we are also simultaneously very fortunate a company like Meta is able to dump all this dough into all the R&D and pushing all the imaging science for, what seems like, the sheer joy of discovery of it all vs just the corporate interests.

Its kind of crazy its truly the only thing Meta does that feels like it isnt a company that is just cynically exploiting data for profit. Its a strange dichotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Duck_King posted:

Can ya tell I don't like Zuckerberg?

/looks at the credit store in my account from all the referrals, and the fact I didn't pay for games in the last two years....

I do love Zuckerberg!

Although honestly, I wouldn't be happy with him if I was a shareholder. I don't think they will start having real profits (ie, after paying all the losses from all these years) in a decade.