Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Are you sure about that? Because you led with blowing through stoplights, so I'm thinking you may be overestimating your knowledge level

It might seem counterintuitive, but with a lot of intersections it's safer to go through a red light than wait for a green. You're still slowing/stopping at the red to make sure it's clear. If you wait for the green, now you're trying to go through an intersection at the same time as drivers are trying to turn through you. They judge the timing poorly, they don't see you, they race around you and slam on the brakes in front of you, etc. etc.

Waiting for a green is for chumps in their boxes that can't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilmucche posted:

Let's do cyclists v motorists on Christmas day, hell yeah!

I see you have the same accident reports in your city as I do

Mauser posted:

It might seem counterintuitive, but with a lot of intersections it's safer to go through a red light than wait for a green. You're still slowing/stopping at the red to make sure it's clear. If you wait for the green, now you're trying to go through an intersection at the same time as drivers are trying to turn through you. They judge the timing poorly, they don't see you, they race around you and slam on the brakes in front of you, etc. etc.

And this right here is how I got rear ended on a motorcycle by a bicycle

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

FreudianSlippers posted:

What kind of car would Jesus drive?

His father drove Adam and Eve out of the garden in his Fury.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mauser posted:

What?
Just stop at red lights if you're on a bike ffs
There has to be some agreed codes of behaviour

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

What?

There's whole rear end movements to repeal bicycle helmet laws because it dis-incentivises making laws and infrastructure more bike centered.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mauser posted:

All the times I've been hit or nearly hit by a car while riding my bike I've had the right of way

Mauser posted:

It might seem counterintuitive, but with a lot of intersections it's safer to go through a red light than wait for a green.

How many times were you hit or almost hit at a light?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dodge Caravans are also mentioned a lot in the Bible. Good choice if you need to transport 12 apostles.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"All the times I was hit at a light were entirely not my fault! Please ignore all the evidence to the contrary"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
:gas:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Atticus_1354 posted:

How many times were you hit or almost hit at a light?

Dunno about him but for me, several loving times when idiot car drivers decides that my right of way does not exist and they can just drive right into me when they are making a right turn across the bike lane.

edit: But according to you I guess I deserve to die for having the temerity to ride a bike to work?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Noir89 posted:

edit: But according to you I guess I deserve to die for having the temerity to ride a bike to work?

Why would I think that? Being in the bike lane or even on the road depending on where you are is exactly what you're supposed to do. Running red lights isn't if you're in a car, motorcycle, bicycle, or on foot. That seems pretty clear to everyone that isn't the guy claiming it's all the drivers faults while talking about how much he breaks traffic laws.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

:gbs: instead imo

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im on a bike, the rules of intertia take precedence because of how its powered. just accept it, I'm doing a Portland stop through this and all lights, stop signs and sidewalk crossings.

dont worry tho ill ill ring the bell as a courtesy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Paper Tiger posted:

The Bible says a Honda; see John 12:49, "For I did not speak of my own accord"

Nice. Thanks for the Christmas laugh.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Israel is allowed to treat all Red Cross logos as green lights.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

EoinCannon posted:

What?

It's this. Don't behave in an unpredictable manner - that makes things less safe for everyone. Follow the goddamn rules.

If you can't stop at a red light then you're going too fast.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hyperlynx posted:

It's this. Don't behave in an unpredictable manner - that makes things less safe for everyone. Follow the goddamn rules.

If you can't stop at a red light then you're going too fast.

According to drivers all cyclists blow all red lights so he is acting in the most predictable way hth

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It is utterly bewildering how USanians turn into europeans when certain minority groups are mentioned, as soon as bikes become a topic.

"You don't understand, they're not even people"

"They're all arrogant assholes, they deserve to get run of the road"

"A biker cut me off once and I've made it a point to destroy every bike I've seen since then"

In my country bikes count as full, equal members of street traffic and going on the sidewalk as a non-child is forbidden. Anything else is utterly insane, and even the posting on SA about this is so strangely aggressive considering how it's usually pretty reasonable.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

please do not blow intersections without their consent

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why don't these PEOPLE on the Internet behave RATIONALLY?!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, yeah good point. Whoever wrote that law understands exactly how lootboxes, battlepasses, the whole thing works. And cut the whole thing off at the knees clean with no wiggle room.

I thought battlepasses were just like season tickets to play on official servers. Never thought to look further.

Which is probably why they were named that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Shut up about bicycles.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What about unicycles?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
jesus built my hotrod

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

FreudianSlippers posted:

What about unicycles?

shut the gently caress up, unicycle boy

sorry, I hosed that up. It's "eat a dick, unicycle boy".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

jesus built my hotrod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkph_Nin8lw

2 Kings 9:20 posted:

And the watchman told, saying, He came even unto them, and cometh not again: and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s beautiful. :allears:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
user PKMN Trainer Red made it for me!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:psypop: what a colossally stupid word.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trabant posted:

That's just called being descriptive and transparent.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Trabant posted:

Seppos is way better, agreed.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's just called being descriptive and transparent.

"Estadounidenses" is right there, man.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

don Jaime posted:

"Estadounidenses" is right there, man.

I was refering to it being colossally stupid and thus fitting as a description of USians.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Are you usanian in the membranian?!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Platystemon posted:

It’s beautiful. :allears:

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

user PKMN Trainer Red made it for me!

Stupid Mewbie was right there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My bike schad is one time I came up on a red light and I checked right, checked left, saw a really hot girl and whipped my head back right so strongly that I ate poo poo on my bike doing like 1mph

Joke's on you auto drivers, I don't even need you to injure myself on a bike :smugdon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hippocrass posted:

Stupid Mewbie was right there.

And it had been right there all year.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
is seppo short for something don't worry about offending me I am canadian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

is seppo short for something don't worry about offending me I am canadian

Australian rhyming slang for Americans, short for "septic tank", which rhymes with yank

very accurate tbh