Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

'Travel Home', heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

god drat, the anti-immigrant sentiment across Canadian Reddit subs has just exploded in the last two weeks :(

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

sitchensis posted:

god drat, the anti-immigrant sentiment across Canadian Reddit subs has just exploded in the last two weeks :(

what else is happening on reddit these days

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's obvious astroturfing going on. Our housing is unaffordable and it's causing several other spiralling crises. Blame Indians blame Indians blame Indians blame Indians blame Indians, not the landlords driving up rents, the governments enabling them, and the developers blocking the construction of new housing because that might drive rents down. The r/Canada sub is entirely controlled by bots that want to push a particular narrative.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

sitchensis posted:

Gathering of the Canadian Uncles to get their narrative straight on which dog whistles to bring up at the table during Christmas dinner.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
same thing as in Europe. multiple problems arising from liberalism, demonize immigrants as the root of it all.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I live in Surrey BC and people have been anonymously posting these ARE CHILDREN signs about how tim hortons won't hire their white kids lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I live in Surrey BC and people have been anonymously posting these ARE CHILDREN signs about how tim hortons won't hire their white kids lol

what do the signs say? I'm completely failing to imagine eliciting sympathy for that cause

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I live in Surrey BC

my condolences

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

merry goonsmas to all the goons I hope Santa hooked you up with a heloc loan/2nd staircase/Friends themed Airbnb or at the very least some CERB you don’t have to pay back :)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
My new years resolution is to finish BG3 and then destroy this country

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
on this blessed christmas day, vancouver, toronto, montreal, calgary and edmonton all have the same amount of snow on the ground. national unity achieved

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I plan to gather up all the snow between here and the rockies and use it to build one mid-sized snowman

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
icy chill from the in-laws

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

ARACHTION posted:

merry goonsmas to all the goons I hope Santa hooked you up with a heloc loan/2nd staircase/Friends themed Airbnb or at the very least some CERB you don’t have to pay back :)

I wish everyone an extra staircase for this Christmas.

:blessed:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

i bought my partner a robot vacuum because he keeps borrowing mine and has anthropomorphized it and whenever it runs out of battery and gets caught behind some boxes under the bed he's like "oh no he got scared and is hiding" and i'm sick and tired of it. i want him to be hiding under my couch in his own home, not in an unfamiliar place where the poor little guy is probably terrified

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol I never saw Putin's incredibly based response to our MPs giving an SS vet a unanimous standing ovation

Putin posted:

If the Canadian Parliament speaker says that the Canadian-Ukrainian or the Ukrainian-Canadian Nazi fought against the Russians during World War Two, he cannot but understand that he fought on Hitler’s side, not on the side of his motherland, Canada, or was a fascist collaborationist. In any case, he was fighting on the side of Nazi troops. Let’s say he does not know that. In no way do I want to hurt the feelings of the people of Canada. Despite everything, we treat Canada with respect, especially its people. But if he does not know that during World War Two, it was Hitler and his minions who fought against Russians, then he’s an idiot. That means he did not study in school, has no elementary knowledge. But if he knows that this person fought on Hitler’s side and calls him a hero of Ukraine and a hero of Canada, then he’s a bastard. It’s one way or another.

It's cool how quickly people just kinda moved on from that insanely epic moment in Canadian politics

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
wishing everyone a merry michaels

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

DaysBefore posted:

Lol I never saw Putin's incredibly based response to our MPs giving an SS vet a unanimous standing ovation

It's cool how quickly people just kinda moved on from that insanely epic moment in Canadian politics

Dude we elected a guy that dressed up in blackface like 4 times and was photographed and videotaped doing it

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

One way or the other? Putin thinks way too highly of Canada lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Gotta blame somebody, and it certainly won't be my fellow white people!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

linoleum floors posted:

Dude we elected a guy that dressed up in blackface like 4 times and was photographed and videotaped doing it

Yup that's pretty funny too

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

My wife's aunt proudly proclaimed she was against communism this xmas dinner because her dad fought against the communists in WW2. (He didn't, he was fighting Nazis).

We were discussing visiting Cuba and the hatred just spewed out.

People have no grasp of history

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Merry Christmas to Putin and Putin only

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

CLAM DOWN posted:

he did kill that rear end in a top hat prigozhin

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

wishing everyone christmas patience with racist uncles, libertarian nephews and PP loving cousins

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
those were just the blackfaces jt remembers there could be more who knows who can count these things lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

CLAM DOWN posted:

its not christmas in russia yet

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

Gotta blame somebody, and it certainly won't be my fellow old stock people!

ftfy

also Merry Chrylser to the three Michaels we sent to Operation Piss Guardian

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

every time i see an mp say something about rising tides of antisemitism in canada all i can think is that a pretty antisemitic thing to do would be to applaud a nazi collaborator in parliament

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Applauding a nazi gets tossed from the conversation because it would require every party to accept culpability but that would never happen because it's easier to use a catastrophic fuckup to throw mud at your political opponents.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
it gets tossed because it would bring up uncomfortable conversations about the ukrainian diaspora in canada, the links they have with major canadian institutions including the state, universities and the RCMP, Political Activities during the years 1941-45, and in the cold war on canadian soil, canadian judges clearing the good name of the Waffen SS galicia division, canadian support of modern neo nazis in ukraine in the last few years, and so on

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

on the other hand, we get to eat perogies at thanksgiving, so who is to say what is moral

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
basically it wasn't a 'fuckup' in the sense that they brought in the wrong guy - he's a Hero in the eyes of various people who actually matter in Canada. the problem was that anyone noticed and what that implies about us, anticommunism and the west in general

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

on the other hand, we get to eat perogies at thanksgiving, so who is to say what is moral

Pierogi are Chinese :colbert:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mila kunis posted:

basically it wasn't a 'fuckup' in the sense that they brought in the wrong guy - he's a Hero in the eyes of various people who actually matter in Canada. the problem was that anyone noticed and what that implies about us, anticommunism and the west in general

Any degree of scrutiny reveals that they got so out of touch with the public they thought they could really parade around a genuine nazi and the public would eat it up. Our leaders were mainlining so many NAFO tweets they forgot normal people exist and don't like nazis. Freedland's hands in that interview say it all.

Of course anyone that could publically scrutinize this won't, for reasons. We all just have to pretend this was a big oopsie. I do think a number of people took note though. My mom used to do Hansard work and it really stuck out to her. She's said she knows someone is lying because he'd have been vetted, no one gets invited in like that without many people looking him over, plus his intro was written by someone, and approved by others. She's otherwise a left-sympathizing liberal.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the government of canada is offering the Michaels 3 million dollars (each!) to go away and shut up. christmas has come 364 days early

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Isn't it a leap year?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

yes 2024 is a leap year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bssoil posted: