Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm waiting tbh. I don't see the point of watching it as is. Most of the thread regulars here watched it and seem kinda mixed but lean positive on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I like the trailer for Rebel Moon, but the reviews are godawful. And apparently the director's cut will be better? Should I see this movie?

Do you have an active netflix account? Worst case, it'll only cost you two hours. The long and short of it is that yes, the directors cut will almost certainly be better (but also gorier), but if you're a fan of his other stuff it's still worth watching imo.

If you're one of those that really hated the theatrical cut of BvS and loved the UE though, you might want to consider waiting. But again, it's only a 2 hour investment, so my suggestion is to go for it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd recommend waiting for the Director's Cut unless you're really into Snyder's visuals.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The two-hour cut is missing a lot of needed characterisation and, dare I say it, purpose. You'll get the flashy Snyder style without much to prop it up.

Every director's cut of a Snyder movie wins me over much more than the "first" cut, so take that as you will.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I caved and watched it. Liked it more than Army Of The Dead, for sure. After all the commentary complaining about the army wanting grain I was surprised to see a long scene full of dialogue where they state why they want the grain

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I for one am fascinated to compare the cuts but def understand why others would find that a waste of time

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I caved and watched it. Liked it more than Army Of The Dead, for sure. After all the commentary complaining about the army wanting grain I was surprised to see a long scene full of dialogue where they state why they want the grain

It's honestly impressive how stupid the whole grain argument is when the guy literally says "yeah we been out here longer than planned so we need food, cough it up"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

2house2fly posted:

if anything i think the movie overcompensates for (presumably) the reception of e.g. MoS / BvS and has way too many scenes of characters all but directly explaining their life philosophy to the camera; it's just not worth it imo. the people who didn't get it last time were either being disingenuous, or if they were being genuine they still aren't going to get there even if you hold their hand

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

2house2fly posted:

I caved and watched it. Liked it more than Army Of The Dead, for sure.

Same. It's not perfect but the main characters get the scenes needed to flesh out the story, you can tell everybody else should have gotten 5+ more minutes, and heads should have rolled in XY scene. Movie was good enough. Will watch everything else too.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think I have this at around number 7 in my rankings of Synder: https://boxd.it/nzWmM/detail

The caveat is that I haven’t rewatched Dawn of the Dead in years so will need to update its review and position.

But basically I have Rebel similar to Owl Movie in that both are a bit too crammed full of content for their run time and could use an expanded cut. At least we will get one here.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Why does this keep happening with Snyder?

Do editors just hate this guy? Just let him do a four hour movie, geez

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m pretty sure Snyder supervises these edits. As far as I know besides JL he’s never been kicked out of the editing room. Or no one has said such

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Netflix is just trying to meme

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think Snyder wants to make challenging material but is also very professional about working within the system and it always leads to friction in the result

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

aqua man 2 is out, the snyderverse is dead. Rebel moon is out, long live the snyderverse

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Why does this keep happening with Snyder?

Do editors just hate this guy? Just let him do a four hour movie, geez

He said it himself, the budget he needed for this and expecting a 3 hour R cut as the standard was "not 100% reasonable" to expect from Netflix.

It sucks because this was supposed to be the point of him going to Netflix, to be free of the theatrical constraints that caused these symptomatic issues with his filmography.

But Netflix has their own corporate restraint that had the exact same effect. These execs are absolutely blind to have not seen this coming. Like did they NOT test the theatrical version at all?

Like itd be one thing if these were just 2 or 3 movies and thats it, but they are betting on a ton of extended material but are not going to have the fanbase necessary to sustain it for years imo.

Who the hell is gunna care about a Bloodaxe prequel comic after all this?

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 26, 2023

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

AccountSupervisor posted:

He said it himself, the budget he needed for this and expecting a 3 hour R cut as the standard was "not 100% reasonable" to expect from Netflix.

It sucks because this was supposed to be the point of him going to Netflix, to be free of the theatrical constraints that caused these symptomatic issues with his filmography.

But Netflix has their own corporate restraint that had the exact same effect. These execs are absolutely blind to have not seen this coming. Like did they NOT test the theatrical version at all?

Like itd be one thing if these were just 2 or 3 movies and thats it, but they are betting on a ton of extended material but are not going to have the fanbase necessary to sustain it for years imo.

Who the hell is gunna care about a Bloodaxe prequel comic after all this?

Seems short sighted to not just let him release two versions of the first part and see how they perform before editing the second part.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ghostwritingduck posted:

Seems short sighted to not just let him release two versions of the first part and see how they perform before editing the second part.

I'm assuming another reason they didn't release both cuts together is because if that were on the docket, the movies wouldn't have dropped during the holidays this year. They'd be a 2024 release. Netflix probably mandated their space opera movie be ready for eyes to watch around Christmas time to boost their numbers with everyone on vacation.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
I went in with no expectations and kind of enjoyed it as like a two hour long music video with Heavy Metal imagery.

My favorite part is where the Japanese bounty hunter/jedi/cyborg assasin girl fights the creepy spider boss with her lightsabers which would make sense as im a product of the 80s and 90s.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

teagone posted:

I'm assuming another reason they didn't release both cuts together is because if that were on the docket, the movies wouldn't have dropped during the holidays this year. They'd be a 2024 release. Netflix probably mandated their space opera movie be ready for eyes to watch around Christmas time to boost their numbers with everyone on vacation.

Which is again kind of silly. Unless their data says otherwise, Im not sure why Netflix holds onto these archaic artifices of "big Christmas blockbuster". The whole point of that release window is because of people having time off to take a day to the movies with family and feeling more inclined to buy tickets during the Holiday.

Does the same apply to the ease of just sitting in your living room and hitting play when you want to watch something on streaming? The time and financial commitment is entirely different so I dont really get why Netflix would strattle themselves to the holiday release window unless this had a wider theatrical release. But I dont know their data on that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1739765155540447266?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bright came out on Christmas and that was a huge hit and that was rated r or tvma whatever

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Glass Onion was in the Netflix Christmas bonanza slot last year, it's definitely a thing they're doing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just odd they suddenly care about ratings when tbh it doesn’t matter on Netflix. Stranger things is violent and scary and that’s the biggest show they got with a wide audience range.

Like I said I think the entire thing is bs and they’re trying to do the Snyder cut thing. It just doesn’t make sense to me otherwise

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
They probably have data that shows the Justice League Snyder Cut gave HBO MAX a big subscriber bump and Netflix wants a piece of that action

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

welcome to the dome mr nolan

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It’s just odd they suddenly care about ratings when tbh it doesn’t matter on Netflix. Stranger things is violent and scary and that’s the biggest show they got with a wide audience range.

Like I said I think the entire thing is bs and they’re trying to do the Snyder cut thing. It just doesn’t make sense to me otherwise

They don’t care about ratings when something bombs for them. But they have always touted high viewer ratings for movies they drop on Christmas weekend. It’s been a thing for a very long time for Netflix. And like other posters said: bright and knives out sequel did huge numbers on this weekend.

Checking Netflix today, I saw that it was the number 1 movie on there so seems like the strategy worked again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. I just think it’s weird they had to cut out all the blood entirely which I think hurt the film’s action to have less impact.

I’ve seen some PG13 or at least like not tv ma stuff have blood. Netflix’s One Piece had blood shooting out whenever people got stabbed but it was never excessive.

It’s just an odd move to shred the movie to bits for something that I don’t think really matters much in the age of streaming

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a dumb move. Announcing the extended cut wouldn't come out til summer killed all hype I had for it lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a dumb move. Announcing the extended cut wouldn't come out til summer killed all hype I had for it lol

I would have thought a very obvious strategy assuming they had to separate the PG and R cuts significantly would be to still put out the R cut before part 2. If people are waiting at all for the extended cut they obviously skip both part 1 and 2, but if they like the R cut of part 1 enough they might check out part 2 to see what happens next even before its own extended cut. Meanwhile if people hate the ending it might turn them off for watching the R cut of part 1, or else make them wait for the extended cuts for both to just watch it all at once? Like I don't see this specific order as being beneficial for basically any reason, the people who are going to watch it all (me) are going to in any order, but this makes it likely that certain people are more likely to skip more of the 4 than otherwise.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m starting to suspect that the R-Rated cut might be very R, in a “will probably make parents extremely unhappy” kind of way.

The weird release would make a degree of sense if they specifically wanted to market this as a ‘safe’ version of their Star Wars movie, for families around the holidays.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Well, we already know Hickman (the slaver rancher dude) gets torn in half by the gryphon instead of just bloodlessly clawed in the extended cut.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m starting to suspect that the R-Rated cut might be very R, in a “will probably make parents extremely unhappy” kind of way.

The weird release would make a degree of sense if they specifically wanted to market this as a ‘safe’ version of their Star Wars movie, for families around the holidays.

This is what I’ve been thinking. Snyder and Netflix both want a Star Wars. I somehow don’t think Netflix was comfortable going full R for their potential big Star Wars. Actual Star Wars doesn’t reach beyond a PG13 rating. And outside of the disarming scene in the cantina, they’re pretty bloodless.

One thing that Snyder’s been pretty up front about in interviews is how he doesn’t make violence comfortable. For the most part, the major fight scenes in this didn’t have that uncomfortable feeling like Watchmen or the rawness of Army of the Dead. I’m hoping the R rated cut fixes that.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
After watching Rebel Moon, I would love to see Snyder do a movie set in the Eberron D&D world. Jimmy the robot gave me huge warforged vibes. I want more Jimmy.

I can't believe that he gave Jimmy the ability to blush. Its amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Jimmy turn the space nazis into a red paste/mist/etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This Summer

Zack Snyder

Drops a Hard R

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Netflix is probably the most actual-data-possessing entity in the entire sphere. The traditional received wisdom was all Vibes with only two data points, how much money they made and how fast they made it, Netflix can pretty much actually concretely see how many people get turned off by how long of a movie, etc.

If you're going "I don't know why they would do X unless they've got data about that" you should probably strongly consider that the data does, in fact, suggest it's good business sense to do that.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Is the Snyder cut going to be both films combined or is it just an extended cut of part 1??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

reignonyourparade posted:

Netflix is probably the most actual-data-possessing entity in the entire sphere. The traditional received wisdom was all Vibes with only two data points, how much money they made and how fast they made it, Netflix can pretty much actually concretely see how many people get turned off by how long of a movie, etc.

If you're going "I don't know why they would do X unless they've got data about that" you should probably strongly consider that the data does, in fact, suggest it's good business sense to do that.

It's entirely possible to have all the data in the world and still make stupid decisions based on failson cocaine vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Alert for people still thinking to watch Rebel Moon:

The first hour of Child Of Fire: Netflix Cut is dope, but the second half (at basically the exact point that they get into space) is so badly hacked up by the studio that it's literally not even a completed movie. If you pay to watch the whole thing in this state, you are being ripped off.

Without hyperbole, the edits done to Snyder's WB films look tasteful and restrained by comparison. Like, I must begrudgingly admit that Josstice League is a better film overall.