Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Konstantin posted:

With legal weed is there is good place for tourists to consume in Thailand? When I was there most hotels banned smoking and I don't think you can light up a joint in public places.

There are some bars around Soi 11 that allow smoking. The further out you go from Bangkok you'll quickly find that enforcement is basically non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can recommend a couple of places to smoke weed. I'm a fan of Space Time on Bangna Trad. It's fairly close to a new BTS station as well, but it's likely easier to get to from Udomsuk BTS due to the direction traffic flows. I could even be convinced to smoke weed there today.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Some places have a smoking lounge upstairs/next to it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's Bong Party on Srinakarin. They have mini golf, arcades, and a slide.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I want to visit Thailand in February during my Spring Festival holiday, so roughly Feb 10-17 thereabouts.

Coming from China, so would Alipay/Wechat work for payments in Thailand without shenfenzheng or should I bring cash? How much should I budget for a trip like this? Any recommended hostels to stay in in Bangkok so I can meet fellow travelers?

Also, would I have any trouble indulging in the devil's lettuce before heading back to China? I know it's legal now in Thailand, but I don't know if they would selectively profile a foreigner for drug testing in the airport coming back on holiday from Thailand.

E: Also since I plan on staying a week or so, should I stay in Bangkok or head out to other places in Thailand like Chiangmai or Phuket?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 22, 2023

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I'd probably look at other avenues of legal advice as far as drug laws in China goes other than somethingawful

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Someone tell me if the hype for Raan Jay Fai is real. I heard the wait dies after lunch? I don't care when I eat it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Overrated. Definitely not worth waiting. Go to Soei, instead.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've been told getting the shin ramyun Tom yum noodles endorsed by Jay fai is more worth it which lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My experience:

I went in the past when one could make reservations. So I got there and didn't have to wait. I got the crab omelette and the person I was with got something else. I think we got a 3rd thing.

The food was fine, but not in the same league of Soei. If you could just walk in, I think it would be fine. But they no longer offer reservations and you have to wait, often hours. It's also quite expensive for what you get. I would not go back. I definitely would not wait.

OTOH, Soei is better than advertised. It's fantastic. Everything I have had there has been extremely good. And you can just walk in. Oh, and it is cheaper.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Okay so I guess I'm not going to it, lol.

Soei is this restaurant? http://www.soeirestaurant.com/

Anything you'd recommend? Also does it take big groups (I would say 8-9 max, but could just be 4 or so people) or is the area too small?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, they have tons of seats. I'd go earlier because apparently they get busy as the days goes on.

Pad Goong Pao = prawn salad is amazing.
Yam Kai Dao = fried egg salad is great, too.

Don't be a wuss and ask for things to be less spicey, just get them the way they are supposed to be prepared.

I forget the name, but the soft shell crab in yellow curry is great, too. Really, everything is great. If you get there early enough, you can try the deep fried mackerel heads. I didn't think they were as great as other people do, but they are well liked and sell out every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZaXItI5z-k&t=3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBg4s-wG1U&t=804s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dHbX8UNx4Q&t=4s

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Weaponize your jetlag and eat awesome food at less crowded times

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I just got my e-visa for Thailand. Do i need to print something to bring with me? Both the confirmation email and the attached pdf seem like confirmations

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Currently in the middle of my fifth trip to Thailand and I regret to announce that I got my first instance of actual factual food poisoning, and not just the routine "poo poo your guts out for 24-36 hours when the local microbial scene moves into your digestive system". At least my kid dodged whatever got my wife and I sick.

Cynic Jester posted:

I just got my e-visa for Thailand. Do i need to print something to bring with me? Both the confirmation email and the attached pdf seem like confirmations

When I arrived about a week ago I saw a fair number of people with printed letters going through customs, couldn't hurt to have a printed copy on-hand. Though admittedly I don't know the procedure if you aren't American and staying for less than 30 days.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think for my Thailand trip I want to hang out on an island/near a beach for a week, so it looks like I'm between Phuket and Pattaya? Which should I choose and why?

E: also I bought some books on basic Thai language/culture etc so I can practice a bit before I go. How difficult is it to pick up survival Thai with about a month/2 months to prepare? Any recommended apps for word reference/translation etc?

I'm fairly fluent in Mandarin Chinese so I'm used to learning a tonal language, if that helps.

E2: Also are there places where you can use Alipay or Wechat to scan to pay or should I just bring cash? I've heard Thailand is very popular for Chinese tourists, but I'm not sure if it extends to digital transactions. Still, it looks like there are ATMs and currency exchange places everywhere that accept Union Pay cards.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 29, 2023

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I enjoyed my stays on islands on the East side of the bay but they lack the party and young atmosphere that the islands on the West have a lot of. In Pattaya I enjoyed staying at Royal Cliff with their private beach. I also liked Koh Samet, Koh Kood and Koh Mak. They are all drives, increasingly long, but good values. Phuket is a flight and so is Krabi/Railay (which I enjoyed more than Phuket). For just daily getaways, you could commute to Hua Hin and Pattaya easily in short order. I think what you would enjoy depends on if you just want to stay at the beach or have town/city with shopping and restaurants and other activities like a zoo to occupy your time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thanks for the advice. :)

I'm not too crazy about shopping, but access to beach + nightlife + trying local food would be nice. Also somewhere with access to wildlife within a day's trip, maybe to see elephants or monkeys or something? I remember seeing monkeys in Himachal Pradesh in India years back in college and, although they are cunning bastards that will steal your food when you aren't looking, they are really interesting to observe.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well, Pattaya is a big rear end city, or more than one connected together basically. It has big malls, boatloads more nightlife than Phuket by virtue of size and population. However, there is a reason people fly to the Southwest. It's less seedy, better clubs and bars from a quality perspective, and better beaches. Hua Hin and Pattaya beaches are not on the same level as those you get further South to the East or West for that matter. If price isn't an issue, I would go further South and just get the full experience.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think for my Thailand trip I want to hang out on an island/near a beach for a week, so it looks like I'm between Phuket and Pattaya? Which should I choose and why?

E: also I bought some books on basic Thai language/culture etc so I can practice a bit before I go. How difficult is it to pick up survival Thai with about a month/2 months to prepare? Any recommended apps for word reference/translation etc?

I'm fairly fluent in Mandarin Chinese so I'm used to learning a tonal language, if that helps.

E2: Also are there places where you can use Alipay or Wechat to scan to pay or should I just bring cash? I've heard Thailand is very popular for Chinese tourists, but I'm not sure if it extends to digital transactions. Still, it looks like there are ATMs and currency exchange places everywhere that accept Union Pay cards.

Rayong-Pattaya-Koh Samet-Koh Larn is a pretty good first time tourist circuit. They're all within 3-4 hours of Bangkok/Suvarnabhumi Airport and the ferries between Rayong-Samet and Pattaya-Larn are cheap and fast.

You'll have plenty of local food and nightlife outside of Larn which is still fairly lowkey as far as islands go. Being right next to Pattaya means that most people really only go over for a day trip to enjoy some nicer beaches. The beach in Pattaya is pretty awful, not gonna lie.

Most larger shops access AliPay, but I don't know how it works as I don't use it and I have no idea if they let you pay for Thai transactions from a Chinese account. The signs are everywhere though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think the usual QR code payment accepted nowadays are Grab (the SEA Uber) and I think you can link the app with your credit card. I'm not sure if you do need a Thai bank account to activate it though

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There are a million digital wallets you can use in Thailand. Grab, Line(man), True. I just don't know if they have international functionality is all.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think the usual QR code payment accepted nowadays are Grab (the SEA Uber) and I think you can link the app with your credit card. I'm not sure if you do need a Thai bank account to activate it though

I tried linking Grab with my Alipay, but it wouldn't work because I don't hold a mainland China ID. Oh well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife is using some Asian rideshare app while here and I'm 99% sure she's paying using our US bank/card info.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

C-Euro posted:

My wife is using some Asian rideshare app while here and I'm 99% sure she's paying using our US bank/card info.

My neighbor says he uses Grab with his US card so it sounds doable. That's a charge for the trip though and it isn't quite the same as having a running balance in the app wallet for transactions at 7-11. It's entirely possible however that you can just charge your card 1000 baht or whatever and then it's in the Grab wallet.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 29, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It seems like Lub D is the best rated/most renowned hostel in Patong area of Phuket. Any goon consensus on this?

Also, will anyone happen to be in Phuket mid-February? I'd love to meet some new friends. :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't been, but Koh Samui looks like an awesome beach area.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It seems like Lub D is the best rated/most renowned hostel in Patong area of Phuket. Any goon consensus on this?

Also, will anyone happen to be in Phuket mid-February? I'd love to meet some new friends. :)

I might drag myself over there a weekend in February, I'll be on Lanta from next weekend till the end of February.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I have used my UK card with Grab in Vietnam and it works fine

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Both Grab and Bolt accept credit cards and Wise cards in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Grab is more popular and larger, Bolt is cheaper (since they are trying to increase its market share). In the last 2 years I think I used taxi only one time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone used Airbnb before? Is it safe? I've never used it before, but I'm finding much better deals for 2 weeks 1 room vs hostel. Also I asked people last night at a hash walk for Thailand advice and everyone kept saying get a private room over shared at hostel, much more convenient especially if I bring someone home for the night lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

why would you ever get a hostel?

i personally won't use airbnb ever again due to the extremely poor experience i had, both at the airbnb and dealing with airbnb itself to resolve the issue. it ruined my last night in taiwan. and from what i've heard/seen, there's not much cost savings to an airbnb over a hotel due to all the cleaning fees. maybe it's different abroad.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend stayed at an AirBNB with a pool and they all got chlorine poisoning.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Strong Sauce posted:

why would you ever get a hostel?

i personally won't use airbnb ever again due to the extremely poor experience i had, both at the airbnb and dealing with airbnb itself to resolve the issue. it ruined my last night in taiwan. and from what i've heard/seen, there's not much cost savings to an airbnb over a hotel due to all the cleaning fees. maybe it's different abroad.

Hostel I figure it would be easier to meet new people and make friends. I had a great time at the hostel I stayed in at Hong Kong years ago. I recently reconnected with a guy I met from there in Beijing and eventually I helped him get a job (not completed yet, bosses have been dragging it out for a long time) at my current company.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I stayed at an airbnb recently and it was half the price to stay in a beautiful new apartment on airbnb compared to staying in a hotel with similar facilities

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I would strongly recommend against using AirBNB (at all) when you are on vacation. Odds are it will be fine, but there are scammers that can ruin your trip. With a hotel you know what you are getting. With AirBNB, who knows? It's a gamble. Why gamble when the goal is to relax and have fun?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Has anyone been to this Cat Story hotel? Being surrounded by cats every day sounds incredible to me, not gonna lie.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
Man...

Airbnb is plenty safe. Just stick with places with plenty of reviews.

Cat hotel sounds the opposite of amazing to me but to each their own

Boola fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 1, 2024

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Hostels are great ESPECIALLY if you travel alone. More so if you're young, as it tends to be a younger crowd at hostels. You can roll up alone and have a travel friend group to explore with, eat with, etc. YMMV obviously, but there's tons of other solo travelers who are more than eager to go try a cheap lunch spot 2 metro stop away or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

If you decide to use AirBnB remember to activate the option in search to show the real price. It defaults to showing the nightly price, and excluding all the fees so you find a hundred results of "wow, $27 a night! Oh, plus $250 cleaning fee, plus $30 service fee". $250 and up for "cleaning" is not an exaggeration; I've seen that kind of number numerous times. It's basically SEO for AirBnB listings since the site defaults to sorting results by nightly rates, so listers just move all the profit into the fees. There's a lot of little legal quasi-scams like that scattered through the site, so read everything carefully.

And if you find yourself getting really truly scammed, like you rent a place and it turns out to be "not ready" absolutely do not accept any substitution from the lister. If you do, AirBnB will consider you taken care of and will not help you, even if the substitute is nowhere near what you reserved.

Hostels are nice if you're extroverted! Like the poster above said, they're great for just meeting someone new to go try stuff with, or chatting about what others are up to and maybe getting some ideas. I like to leave unplanned time if I'm staying in a hostel, so I can visit something I learn about in conversation, or join up with someone I meet and like for a day.