Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Remember that time when all horror movies would cut five seconds of gore from the theatrical version so they could release "THE UNRATED EDITION" on DVD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What pop songs do you think will be in live action Zelda?

holding out for a hero would work well for a montage of Zelda fighting Ganon for a hundred years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wildtortilla posted:

holding out for a hero would work well for a montage of Zelda fighting Ganon for a hundred years.

The Gerudo Town scene will be played for laughs and set to Dude Looks Like a Lady

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I got Robocop: Rogue City and I'm pleased to say that stomping around shooting creeps and slimebags feeling utterly invincible while the theme music plays kicks rear end. I thought Terminator: Resistance got a bad rap and I'm not gonna call it a classic or anything but it was better than the like 6/10s it got by a LONG shot, so I'm confident this is gonna be a fun time too.

Also I was like "drat whoever is doing this VA work is really nailing Murphy, wonder who it is?" looked it up on IMDB and it's the man himself, Peter Weller. That's a pretty drat cool get by Teyon and just adds to the fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dont fall for the snyder cut scam again (although the snyder cut of that stupid movie was way better)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

We cannot keep relying on this directors cut bullshit. Directors cuts are for films that got hosed by the studio, Cimino or Leone style, not for self indulgent fucks to get a dry run at their story before they put out the "real" thing.

I remember being excited about the extended cut of lord of the rings and these days I just want to watch the theatrical version

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Them movies were too long to begin with

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

dont fall for the snyder cut scam again (although the snyder cut of that stupid movie was way better)

Saying a film is better than the Whedon cut is so backhanded I can only imagine Slickback saying it.

Shard posted:

I remember being excited about the extended cut of lord of the rings and these days I just want to watch the theatrical version

I watched all three of the extended cuts in one day and managed to fully purge myself of desiring Tolkien in my life forever more. This shouldn't be misconstrued as being denigrating towards the man, I respect his work a lot, I simply have zero desire to engage with it or it's spawn ever again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

take me down to the robocop: rogue city

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I watched all three of the extended cuts in one day and managed to fully purge myself of desiring Tolkien in my life forever more. This shouldn't be misconstrued as being denigrating towards the man, I respect his work a lot, I simply have zero desire to engage with it or it's spawn ever again.

it really was a kind of once-in-a-generation experience, and i feel like going back to it would rob some of that mystical quality from it for me

i do watch youtube clips from time to time and it's still incredible how well the CGI holds up. the balrog's old enough to legally drink, but it still looks just as good as the kind of big scary monster fare that gets pumped into every fantasy film to this day

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Remember that time when all horror movies would cut five seconds of gore from the theatrical version so they could release "THE UNRATED EDITION" on DVD?

The problem is that 5 additional seconds of gore or nudity can sometimes determine your box office. A viewer might not even notice but the ratings board will.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

it really was a kind of once-in-a-generation experience, and i feel like going back to it would rob some of that mystical quality from it for me

i do watch youtube clips from time to time and it's still incredible how well the CGI holds up. the balrog's old enough to legally drink, but it still looks just as good as the kind of big scary monster fare that gets pumped into every fantasy film to this day

I liked them, but honestly the extended media was better. BFMEIIROTWK is goated.

I guess Dune is the Zoomer version of the Trilogy, kind of odd I guess, you'd think there would be another set of novels to go grand the way they did but it seems we're still stuck in the past.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gaius Marius posted:

I liked them, but honestly the extended media was better. BFMEIIROTWK is goated.

I guess Dune is the Zoomer version of the Trilogy, kind of odd I guess, you'd think there would be another set of novels to go grand the way they did but it seems we're still stuck in the past.
I have bad news about which newer book series became a hugely successful cultural phenomenon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Volte posted:

I have bad news about which newer book series became a hugely successful cultural phenomenon

Kristin Stewart and Pattinson are both very good actors with great drive to get good poo poo off the ground using their built in fan base. I'll trade four bad films for a Bong Joon Ho and Eggers joint anytime. Stewart has been less successful but that's just a coincidence, I personally cannot account for the Gulf between Personal Shoppers estimation and it's actual quality.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

you might start seeing more now that people are finally getting properly loving sick and tired of super heroes and disney are having to look to new wells after thoroughly poisoning star wars as a media franchise and proving themselves completely unable of making even new disney classic films anymore

i am a big villeneuve dune booster, though, both because it's just an excellently shot and directed movie and because they've got the kind of creative visual design i wish we got to see more of in scifi. the brutalist design of ships and interior spaces gives the whole thing the kind of weighty, transcendental quality i think herbert was aiming for, where the whole universe is a temple that mankind is on a pilgrimage through

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also there's really big fuckin' worms

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

you might start seeing more now that people are finally getting properly loving sick and tired of super heroes and disney are having to look to new wells after thoroughly poisoning star wars as a media franchise and proving themselves completely unable of making even new disney classic films anymore
God willing Disney will be sold off to some Ichan Corporate Raider and totally ground down to dust. Their time on this earth is long overstayed.

Vermain posted:

i am a big villeneuve dune booster, though, both because it's just an excellently shot and directed movie and because they've got the kind of creative visual design i wish we got to see more of in scifi. the brutalist design of ships and interior spaces gives the whole thing the kind of weighty, transcendental quality i think herbert was aiming for, where the whole universe is a temple that mankind is on a pilgrimage through
Honestly never seen it. Chalamet gives me the "ick" in the parlance of the youth. Love Villeneuve though, 2049 is not only a better movie than Lesser Scott's, it is the quintessential film for understanding what Sci-Fi films could be if they weren't being held down by genre expectations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

also there's really big fuckin' worms

Shout out Team 17

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Honestly never seen it. Chalamet gives me the "ick" in the parlance of the youth. Love Villeneuve though, 2049 is not only a better movie than Lesser Scott's, it is the quintessential film for understanding what Sci-Fi films could be if they weren't being held down by genre expectations.

it's worth your time for the visual design alone, although i think the primary cast is excellent: chalamet hits a good balance and manages to get across "arrogant young man trying to find his place in the world" without feeling like a little poo poo, and ferguson, isaac, and brolin all bring a charismatic presence

i liked 2049 quite a bit when i saw it, and it's still deeply funny to me that so much ado was made about jared leto in the prerelease to that film when former pro wrestler dave bautista acts a loving circle and a half around that guy in the opening few minutes

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Shout out Team 17

Did they do a cross promo with Dune? That would've been cool.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TOOT BOOT posted:

The problem is that 5 additional seconds of gore or nudity can sometimes determine your box office. A viewer might not even notice but the ratings board will.

My favorite weird ratings story like this is that they tried to keep the serious violence off camera for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original one) to try and secure a PG rating instead of an R. (From before PG-13 existed.)

Unfortunately, doing it that way made it so much more unsettling that the first cut of the movie got an X.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GTA5's source code has leaked online, days after Rockstar's lawyers put an 18 year old autistic kid into an indefinite hospitalisation stay.

:rip: if you enjoy GTA Online I guess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lawyers don't sentence, judges do

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Infinitum posted:

GTA5's source code has leaked online, days after Rockstar's lawyers put an 18 year old autistic kid into an indefinite hospitalisation stay.

:rip: if you enjoy GTA Online I guess

not sure how GTA Online could get worse, honestly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gaius Marius posted:

God willing Disney will be sold off to some Ichan Corporate Raider and totally ground down to dust. Their time on this earth is long overstayed.

Dune is no 2049, but it's still high budget a Villeneuve spectacle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

In retrospect I appreciate that live action movie for trying something completely unique.
the live action super mario bros movie is by far the best of the three

Infinitum posted:

Just :laffo: if you didn't want a pair of your own THWOMP boots as a kid
THWOMP Boots? the ones worn by Big Bertha down at the Boom Boom Bar?

one of the funniest things about the old mario movie is this quote from an old Guardian interview with Bob Hoskins:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/1474844008975323136

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

I think the term "Search Action" makes even more sense here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the nes die hard game is a roguelike by way of a trekker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

still thinking about playing die hard trilogy again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVgw3TCoMIs&t=27s

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ironically, Die Hard 2 is the best part of Die Hard Trilogy (the game).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zack Snyder more like crap shiter

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Wildtortilla posted:

Deru Deru ~deru deru deru~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9-ekIkXQcY

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Exactly the same jukebox soundtrack as Mario, in the same order, at the same timecodes.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Vermain posted:

i liked 2049 quite a bit when i saw it, and it's still deeply funny to me that so much ado was made about jared leto in the prerelease to that film when former pro wrestler dave bautista acts a loving circle and a half around that guy in the opening few minutes

Genuinely one of my favourite performances in that movie. I think about it all the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the only Leto performance that doesn't make me want to throw him into a volcano, what a deeply loathsome individual.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Armored Core 6 owns lmao

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm playing Alan Wake "remastered" since it came free with Alan Wake 2 which is currently like 26 dollarydoos on egs.

I tried playing it a couple of times before, but now I feel compelled to finish it since AW2 looks so dang good.

It's very repetitive and the levels are very samey, but occasionally it will hit with some really atmospheric set pieces and use of light and the sound design is real good. Very effective use of music, especially the end of episode thing is superb.

Feels like a very ambitious game constrained by budget and having to run on a 360. Really looking forward to seeing this stuff with ray tracing and all the rest in AW2.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My Christmas Haul: Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake 2, Armored Core VI. We about to be gamin’, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I discovered a few months ago, after rewatching The Nice Guys, that I really don’t like Ryan gosling