Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Decided to follow up Godzilla Heisei with Gamera, just to mix things up in the thread.

Like Godzilla's Heisei era, I knew it from hype more than from experience. And, unlike Heisei, it wasn't some strange abstract, but a concrete reputation. These were supposed to be three of the best kaiju movie ever.

I just wish I hadn't gone in with that reputation in mind.

As a kaiju film, it's not bad. The plot moves at a decent clip, the fights are fun enough, and there are some creative ideas. But the human plot is neither grounded and compelling like Minus One nor absurd bullshit like Ghidora. Worse, it's not particularly relevant to the resolution. Yes, yes, the girl and her dad believing in Gamera really hard lets him win, but that's pretty thin gruel with how vague the psychic connection is, while the rest of the human efforts don't really impact the final monster fight, despite their screentime. Instead, we get an extended plotline where the environmental minister wants to protect the Gyaos because they're an endangered species (...fine) and kill Gamera (who is even more unusual as an endangered species, and who hasn't eaten anyone).

If I'd gone in expecting Showa Gamera, I think I'd have been pleasantly surprised at a more serious plot, decent fights (even if the CG didn't age well at all), and perfectly tolerable humans. But with the reputation it had, things like the clunky expository dialog, the odd plot hops, and the thin characters all hurt more than they would have otherwise.

Just a reminder how much expectations can matter, I suppose. Expected Ghidora to be bad, and I had fun. Expected Gamera to be better, and I was just disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're a little overrated online but the model work and suit effects are amazing. But yea I didn't really connect with the plot either

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The Heisei Gamera movies are kinda graded on a generous curve to some extent, but I think you could make the case that they were pretty easily the best kaiju media of the 1990s, which isn't nothing. Stuff like the Kiryu movies, Shin, and now Minus One (and even, to some extent, the 2006 one-off Gamera the Brave) have since eclipsed them in my mind, but as Mantis points out, they're one of the last hurrahs for practical kaiju FX, something that Heisei Gamera does way better than the boring, unambitious 90s Godzilla movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sitting in the theater for a matinee showing of Godzilla -1; the last possible one I could make it to (it stops playing here tomorrow). Better late than never!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What's the going price these days for one? $300 or so?

if someone thinks they're getting my Godzilla vs. Biollante blu ray just by offering me $300 they're very mistaken

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Whats the thread consensus on Final War? The kaiju stuff is good for a spiritual remake of Destroy All Monsters but I really hate how hyperactive it gets (i mean what did you expect from the director of Versus) but I really love any time Don Frye is on screen. Nothing’s fine I’m torn.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Final wars owns but it's also just fan service.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I like some fan service. Once he nuked Zilla it became pretty clear that we were just doing kaiju pro wrestling and Toho was in its attitude era. Needed Gigan doing a suck it and Ghidorah getting a stone cold stunner on all his necks simultaneously

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

weekly font posted:

I like some fan service. Once he nuked Zilla it became pretty clear that we were just doing kaiju pro wrestling and Toho was in its attitude era. Needed Gigan doing a suck it and Ghidorah getting a stone cold stunner on all his necks simultaneously

Amusingly we get some amazing heel tag stuff from Gigan in On Monster Island and Vs. Megalon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Whats the thread consensus on Final War? The kaiju stuff is good for a spiritual remake of Destroy All Monsters but I really hate how hyperactive it gets (i mean what did you expect from the director of Versus) but I really love any time Don Frye is on screen. Nothing’s fine I’m torn.

Least favorite Godzilla movie probably.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

weekly font posted:

Extremely good.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Final Wars spent way too long on the human stuff instead of giving more time to the giant monster slugfest, but what we got of that was pretty good

Also watched G'54 for the first time in a while, and it holds up surprisingly well for something made 70 years ago

Was amused by how Godzilla was initially heralded by heavy drums for its footsteps, but once it hit land in the latter half of the film, it was surprisingly quiet as it laid waste to the land

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I realized that I could get Godzilla 54, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. Hedorah on 4k UHD from Amazon Japan for $40 each shipped so that's my Christmas present to myself. No subtitles but I'm good with that. Looking forward to getting them in a couple weeks.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

weekly font posted:

I used to passionately despise it along with stuff like G'98 and All Monsters Attack, but my feelings towards all of them has softened considerably over the past 10 or 15 years. I don't think I'd deliberately sit down and watch any of those, mind, but Final Wars in particular makes for some fun groupwatch riffing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

weekly font posted:

It's be better as just a weird sentai-style humans vs space aliens film. The Godzilla parts are extraneous and not that great.

I don't necessarily dislike it but it presents a good argument for retiring the series for twelve years.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I’d like Final Wars a lot more if the ratio between kaiju fights/human fights was reversed. Most of the kaiju battles were way too short.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Shin Godzilla currently streaming anywhere?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

final wars is my big dumb room temperature IQ adult son and I love him

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Shin Godzilla currently streaming anywhere?

I think someone mentioned earlier that it’s on Crunchyroll of all places.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Crunchyroll, Amazon, (HBO) Max, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, YouTube and Vudu are all streaming it

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

weekly font posted:

It's real bad if you're sober and disappointingly bad if you're not. It's a silly, mean-spirited film that actively hates its audience. It's Godzilla as Family Guy.

Still not as boring as Spacegodzilla or the anime trilogy. The Gigan design rules and I want more of Monster X as the Ghidorah version of Minya.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I am currently watching Final Wars and it rules…. This is probably the first time I’ve watched it since 2007, I was backpacking in Australia and only had a few dvds to watch on my laptop this was one of them….

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

I enjoy Kazuki Kitamura being a huge ham, so it gets a passing grade.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
watching final wars projected on the garage at a party years ago was a hell of a lot of fun except for the extremely racist scene with the cops in America which was funny in a different way, or maybe the same way. who knows

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

watching final wars projected on the garage at a party years ago was a hell of a lot of fun except for the extremely racist scene with the cops in America which was funny in a different way, or maybe the same way. who knows

The only way that scene could have been improved would be if the subtitle said it took place in Des Moines, with no other changes. Like that's just what any given square mile of America is like

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Asterite34 posted:

The only way that scene could have been improved would be if the subtitle said it took place in Des Moines, with no other changes. Like that's just what any given square mile of America is like

lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

Final Wars spent way too long on the human stuff instead of giving more time to the giant monster slugfest, but what we got of that was pretty good

I also do not count Captain Gordon as part of the human stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla is definitely a mixed bag, but I'd easily rank it above Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II just for all that great Fukuoka content.

Gripweed posted:

I can't get over that paying off by the guy being able to get out of Garuda because he brought his flying Pteranodon bike to work. They didn't need to do that, there could have just been a ladder on the robot! Or they could have even just shown him opening a hatch and then cut to him on the ground, the specific means he used to get out of the robot didn't need to be shown, and definitely didn't need to be established by a whole subplot!

When something in a movie seems totally extraneous to the plot, that's where things are most heavily thematic. So you've got the earlier scene where Kazuma (the nerd) is showing off his pteranodon-hoverbike to Azusa, and they fly around her tiny cheapass Jurassic Park replica of prehistoric times. They're having fun, but the context is that Godzilla Junior's being raised as a test subject and potential weapon. Like, that's why the UN are paying for all this stuff. Plus, Junior's inevitably going to grow too huge for this cage. Something's gotta give.

So there's a sort of obvious link between the pteranodon-hoverbike as a vehicle for Junior's misguided adoptive parents, and the literal giant pteranodon who mistakenly(?) kidnaps Junior later in the film. Things then blur together weirdly, because you have Super Mecha-Godzilla (no relation) appearing as a fusion of a robotic Godzilla and what's effectively another - now gigantic - mechanical pteranodon. This amalgam is largely indifferent to what Junior's going through, and ends up righteously destroyed at the end. So, there's some stuff going on, from scene to scene, with relations of scale and power dynamics. The hoverbike is baby-sized relative to Rodan, but equal in relation to Junior.

SpaceGodzilla's doing the same kinda stuff in its narrative, but it's just... worse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

The Heisei Gamera movies are kinda graded on a generous curve to some extent, but I think you could make the case that they were pretty easily the best kaiju media of the 1990s, which isn't nothing. Stuff like the Kiryu movies, Shin, and now Minus One (and even, to some extent, the 2006 one-off Gamera the Brave) have since eclipsed them in my mind, but as Mantis points out, they're one of the last hurrahs for practical kaiju FX, something that Heisei Gamera does way better than the boring, unambitious 90s Godzilla movies.

I mean, I won't say it's good, but one of the last things I'd say about the 90s King Ghidora, having just watched it, is "boring and unambitious". It's constantly doing new stupid nonsense, including a brief visit to the new alternate future caused by the time travel meddling just to ensure that how time travel is handled in the film makes no sense at all.

It also has plenty of practical Kaiju FX, as Godzilla continued to do through the Millenium era. Sure, there was CG mixed in, but given how much there was in Gamera, that's a bit of a glass and stones thing.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, I won't say it's good, but one of the last things I'd say about the 90s King Ghidora, having just watched it, is "boring and unambitious". It's constantly doing new stupid nonsense, including a brief visit to the new alternate future caused by the time travel meddling just to ensure that how time travel is handled in the film makes no sense at all.

It also has plenty of practical Kaiju FX, as Godzilla continued to do through the Millenium era. Sure, there was CG mixed in, but given how much there was in Gamera, that's a bit of a glass and stones thing.

Sure, that's fair. Mostly I meant that the SFX in the 90s Godzilla movies were boring and unambitious, not necessarily the stories -- though I'm not a huge fan of those either tbh.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp Godzilla is marketable again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRLvp1-VRNs

McDonalds vs Godzilla

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ok the mcdonalds mecha is pretty cool

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah rules, def in my top 10 Godzilla movies. Never a dull moment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the first two Gamera films were pretty decent but I didn't care for the 3rd one at all. It had some weird non-ending and the character beats were unearned. I do think the fights went a bit harder than the Godzilla films at the time but I liked the Godzilla films more (I think I liked those more than a lot of people in this thread) and I just have more affinity for the character in general.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I really tried with Gamera but I can’t help but feel like it’s one of those cases where, yes, they’re pretty decent but earnestly saying they’re better than the Godzilla films of the same era feels like some underdog rooting thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

someone put it to me the other day that while Godzilla has higher highs, there is no three movie run in his entire career as good as the Gamera Heisei trilogy. and I think he might be on to something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah rules, def in my top 10 Godzilla movies. Never a dull moment.

When I did my recent little first watch, besides the original this was the film that made me go “oh I get these movies now. “

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

someone put it to me the other day that while Godzilla has higher highs, there is no three movie run in his entire career as good as the Gamera Heisei trilogy. and I think he might be on to something.

Final Wars -> Shin -> Minus One

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Final Wars -> Shin -> Minus One

ah, but here's the part that complicates things: Final Wars sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ah, but here's the part that complicates things: Final Wars sucks rear end