Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It used to be 2000 seals and they expected you to grind them out yourself. Sprouts these days have it easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I remember doing one of the hunting logs for the 200 seals when I first played a few years ago.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kwyndig posted:

It used to be 2000 seals and they expected you to grind them out yourself. Sprouts these days have it easy.

Oh I definitely just had to pick a grand company too when I last played five years ago

Life is good!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It looks like the Heavensturn guys finally ran out of equipment to hand out.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2024/Heavensturn/t03u4zqkln

It's a pretty cute minion, at least.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

It looks like the Heavensturn guys finally ran out of equipment to hand out.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2024/Heavensturn/t03u4zqkln

It's a pretty cute minion, at least.

Honestly, I prefer a chicken wearing a costume to an ugly headpiece.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they didnt want to get dragged by viera and hroth players again

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sell me the dragon hoodie, Yoshi-p

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, the Official Announcement.

I've known about the minion since 6.5, and it's one of the larger ones. It looks really good in game.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

try to start a pre-pull timer as a non-tank and see what happens

*Earthly Star has entered the chat*

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
do you think they'll announce the new limited job at fanfest, or keep it in their pocket for a hype boost during the post-expansion lull around 7.2 or so?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Blue Mage got announced at a Fan Fest, so if we go off that, then probably. But then we're working off a sample size of 1.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

do you think they'll announce the new limited job at fanfest, or keep it in their pocket for a hype boost during the post-expansion lull around 7.2 or so?

you can just say beastmaster

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the next limited job is scheduled for the later half of 7.x,so I doubt we'll see it now

blue mage was announced at one of the shb fanfest but it was also gonna come out during stb

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vitamean posted:

the next limited job is scheduled for the later half of 7.x,so I doubt we'll see it now

blue mage was announced at one of the shb fanfest but it was also gonna come out during stb

A quick Googling says it was announced at the Vegas FanFest for Shadowbringers, and was released as part of Patch 4.5 for Stormblood.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Unintentionally syncing up the Pawah Mujuuk fight to be during a thunderstorm was badass as hell

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I can do the quest to become a Bard now.

When I went from Pugilist to Monk I'm p sure i did it asap but that was so long ago. Should I finish out Archer then go Bard or does it not matter since I can swap back

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

verbal enema posted:

I can do the quest to become a Bard now.

When I went from Pugilist to Monk I'm p sure i did it asap but that was so long ago. Should I finish out Archer then go Bard or does it not matter since I can swap back

You can swap back to Archer any time by unequipping the Bard job stone but you will never ever have to or want to. There is no "finishing" the base class, beyond turning them into their Job

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're the same thing, Bard is just Better Archer

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
kewl ty

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The only class that has any kind of reason to remain past collecting the job stone is Conjurer, and that's only because the unicorn mount quest can't be done on White Mage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's a relic of an old system that they were trying to do and realized it was a lot more of a headache than it was worth. Jobs used to be unlocked by leveling multiple classes, for example Bard required 30 Archer and 15 Pugilist. Summoner and Scholar still being linked through Arcanist is another part of that.

The sort of thing that's kinda neat when you're building an MMO around a grind mindset (FF11 kinda had a similar system with subjobs for example), but once you're streamlining the play experience it just gets in the way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bruceski posted:

It's a relic of an old system that they were trying to do and realized it was a lot more of a headache than it was worth. Jobs used to be unlocked by leveling multiple classes, for example Bard required 30 Archer and 15 Pugilist. Summoner and Scholar still being linked through Arcanist is another part of that.

The sort of thing that's kinda neat when you're building an MMO around a grind mindset (FF11 kinda had a similar system with subjobs for example), but once you're streamlining the play experience it just gets in the way.

And that itself is a relic of the 1.0 mentality. Jobs did not exist until Yoshi-P took over. They were added in patch 1.21. In the original vision you would just level everyone class and build up custom roles using cross class abilities. This was impossible to balance and resulted in consolidated sets of abilities anyways.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh: once you unlock Bard, if you're using gearsets remember to save with the job stone equipped. Otherwise it can be an easy thing to miss if you're switching around between classes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'd sort of been playing around in that space with the idea that more jobs could be tied to a shared base, but developing Arcanist (which was supposed to be released in 1.0 but was delayed even before the job system was made, and finally made its debut in 2.0) convinced them that no, no actually they wouldn't try that again.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm still surprised that they haven't gone and made Scholar an entirely separate job that just requires you to get ARC to 30.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

blastron posted:

I'm still surprised that they haven't gone and made Scholar an entirely separate job that just requires you to get ARC to 30.

When in doubt blame it on the spaghetti code

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah. It's working fine now, there's no point in trying to fix it and risking making things break.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why would anyone want that in the first place?

if anything, they should add more classes where i level 1 and get another for free

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Truga posted:

why would anyone want that in the first place?

if anything, they should add more classes where i level 1 and get another for free

Making a single class split into two jobs was such a pain they couldn’t make it happen in 1.21 when they introduced jobs in the first place, and balancing/managing the class system was such a pain that it is effectively gone from the game entirely.

When we were waiting for HW we sure thought that the new tank job was gonna split off of an extant class. The devs just decided that everything is a job now and classes are defunct. It still took a few expacs to switch to the current streamlined experience.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that sounds like a bunch of bad excuses

as early as ARR they started splitting ruin potency between sch and smn, effectively making them different skills per job, clearly illustrating both jobs using ruin was just an aesthetic choice rather than something to do with spaghetti code

and now, they don't share any skills at all. so clearly "balancing/managing the class system" isn't the reason

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was a poo poo system and I'm glad it's dead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why is "get one class extra when leveling" poo poo though?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It really badly hamstringed the job team, especially when it came time to cull actions. They're on record about regretting doing it, pretty sure.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Truga posted:

why is "get one class extra when leveling" poo poo though?

Because you won't know how to play the extra class.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Andrew Verse posted:

judging by some posts in this thread, leveling a class isn't a fix for this either

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

It really badly hamstringed the job team, especially when it came time to cull actions. They're on record about regretting doing it, pretty sure.

It was this yeah. It hosed up how they could design the base kit for SMN/SCH and was a huge headache. There's no benefit to them doing it again and they know it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Andrew Verse posted:

I have all 90s and I can play maybe three jobs proficiently

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah if I can start Sage at 70 I don't think getting another job for free would be a skill issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you don't want to level a job, buy a level skip. They've got those, right?

What you're saying is you want a free level skip. I get that, but I don't think it's going to happen.