Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is just 14 going to be on D+ or are all the new Who going to move there? I know its on Hulu but in places in the world without it, I wonder if it will?

Also the pipe dream of having Old Who on D+ would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked a lot about it, but I disliked the musical elements and the audio mix made it really hard to hear the narrative lyrics in that one scene.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah my D+ subtitles glitched out and I was made painfully aware of how rough the audio mixing is

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Very happy with the opening. Few things that kind of irked me a tiny bit, but overall I love Ncuti's take on the role and his energy, and everything just felt right. I hope The Doctor dealing with fantasy stuff is more commonplace after this season, since it definitely feels like that will be the major throughline this year.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Updog Scully posted:

I rewatched the episode and I noticed some weird issues with the script. Remember when Ruby's mum comes home and the Doctor and Ruby cover up Lulubelle's doorway? That move implies that they're hiding her absence, even though Lulubelle is safe in the room so there's nothing to hide. They also bicker between each other but what they're actually bickering about isn't established. Have I missed something here?

They were bickering over the Doctor’s cover story.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CommonShore posted:

I liked a lot about it, but I disliked the musical elements and the audio mix made it really hard to hear the narrative lyrics in that one scene.
I was so annoyed at the mix I started to fiddle with the audio on my receiver and discovered it has a "voice" setting on the remote along with bass and treble. Clicking that up a couple of notches seemed to fix the mix for me, but it might've just been a placebo.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
A Christmas special without Slade’s “Merry Xmas Everybody” is an F- sorry RTD.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

If you have a way of switching to mono, give that a try. A lot of modern televisions are weird about audio channels, leaving the center channel —where dialog sits — either absent, or far quieter than left and right. So you turn up the volume during dialog, then music and such blows you out of the water and you turn everything down again, then you repeat this process until you or your neighbors go mad.

Unfortunately, a lot of brands of TV won't even let you switch to mono.

I've an OK-ish sound bar and subwoofer on the TV and I had to turn the volume right up when watching. Even then I think I missed half the dialogue due to it being so far down in the mix. As soon as it ended and the Beeb went to whatever poo poo gameshow Michael McIntyre was hosting I had to ramp down the sound.

I think this is a common thing with a lot of shows that are trying to be "prestige". The visual and sound design assume you're going to be watching with a perfect surround system in a home cinema devoid of all outside light sources, and not in an overlit noisy room on xmas day.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I assume "wait who are you and why do you know about the Doctor and the TARDIS" is the intended reaction to Mrs. Flood?

Also I'm unclear if we're meant to assume that the Doctor we see at Ruby's discovery at the start of the episode is intended to be a stable time loop with the one who shows up later to rescue her; it seems that way, but the first one had tears running down his face, and the second didn't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pops Mgee posted:

A Christmas special without Slade’s “Merry Xmas Everybody” is an F- sorry RTD.

That was the weirdest part of the Special. Its literally the only xmas song in any of the Christmas Specials.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Still not for me, a wacky episode but everything's filled with portent is not what I enjoy.

I think modern Dr. Who just mixes them up way too much.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

My theory is that Angie (Mrs Flood for non UK TV watchers of a certain age) is something to do with the masters tooth.

I had a what was a rather obvious theory I formulated early in the episode, one that made it feel deeper and more complicated. Obvious to come up with, not obviously true, since there is still suspense and the joy of guessing: Ruby is the Master, like the original Jacobi one.

Davies has gone hog wild with the references and remixes of old Who stuff, and I've decided I like it overall. The Wild Blue Yonder was a remix of Midnight, though I thought it wasn't as good. The Giggle was like a ton of Master storylines compressed so much I thought the tooth might be influencing the Toymaker like he's Revolver Ocelot. (Didn't turn out that way, but they were written way similar, and they were pretty Joker-like to start with anyhow). Now in this one, among other things, if Ruby is the Master it's a remix of Utopia (already heavily like the audio drama Master) and that Moffat bit where Missy selected the doctor's companion Clara and the bit where the Master was a companion trying to be good. Remember, the Jacobi Master was found with the watch specifically as a human baby on the shores of the silver devastation. (Doctor used the chameleon arch to transform as an adult.)

Having Ruby be the Master had me thinking its foreshadowing a kicker that letting the goblins eat her as a baby would stop her later plot or be a comeuppance but still be wrong. That might be a reach though. Anyway, the old woman (Mrs. Flood?) fit into it too well, since she would be both the woman with the red nails who picked up the tooth and the woman who dropped off baby Ruby back at the church. Still could be Romana, the Master herself, or the Valeyard or anyone, but I felt her line was meant to feel like a line to the audience as a fakeout, as it really was to Abdul. She'd been watching Ruby grow up, and she probably started the goblins onto her to start with to attract the Doctor's attention and get Ruby recruited as a companion.

Anyhow, wow. WOW. What a good episode, one of my favorites ever anyway. I'll spare the E/N explanation, but I was feeling a bit unChristmasy like George Bailey, and after the episode I was happy and validated. It was like a Davies-insanity-jacked amalgam of It's a Wonderful Life and The Leftovers S3. I didn't even think of myself as loving It's a Wonderful Life. I like to think I'd have cried even without the E/N baggage. I think I get Davies a lot more after this ep. Before I thought of him doing gay-themed stuff and Doctor Who stuff and trying to inject each with the other when he did it. Not untrue, but the better take is that he uses sci-fantasy and dystopia stuff as excuse to do family drama, specially Ozu-type pro-extended family stuff. (Watch Years and Years.) Doctor Who didn't really delve into companion families till Davies, and now it's usually the norm. He's been returning more to the extended families like the Nobles too, just trying to make it open to LGBTQ people and multiracial families so it's not detrimentally traditionalist. It's like family values TV, really. Huh.

Anyway, all those references this ep. Back to the Future. Ruby Sunday has to be from Ruby Tuesday. I'll have to stow my headcanon wish that the Goblin King is the Couldv'e Been King, but it's a huge respectful shoutout to the audio Doctor Who and the Pirates. The iirc first Who TV original musical number, and it's on a ship where the goblins are dressed as pirates. Took me an embarrassingly long time to realize orphan boys with jet-black hair was Harry Potter. Circus clowns with the red balloon is obviously It. I think the 500 golden puppies is a sly riff on Disney's 101 Dalmations with oneupmanship or some conference of 500 (adults-included) Golden Retrievers. Weird that one.

Liked the name Lulubelle. Liked more the debate about it, because out here that baby was named to rhyme with "go to hell." Beautiful.

Anyway, this post is finally over. Sorry for length.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
After 3 out of the last 4 hours of show being very much "emotion and the feeling in the moment!" over more traditional story, I'm sort of ready for something a little more grounded. Or at least as much as the show about the man with the magical time traveling box can be. Still enjoyed it but I'm starting to remember the excesses as well as the successes of RTD's previous run.

Still, it's a Christmas special and it's obviously supposed to be very broad. Excited to see season 1 and how the tone evolves from here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Here is my crackpot theory: Mrs. Flood is Ruby’s mom. She is also Old Ruby. Ruby All You Zombies’d herself.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes. Not having to spend an episode with them reeling from regeneration was incredible. In my opinion, it's the best Doctor debut since 11 (although Eleventh Hour is a better episode overall)

The episode is in kind of a weird place where you can't deal with the regeneration, I think. Usually when that happens the Doctor gets sidelined a bit until the end and you fill that time with the supporting cast... but there isn't one, and you have to introduce a new companion, and you have to introduce the Doctor, too, since this is technically their first solo outing, and it's a Christmas episode.

As mid as the episode was for me, it's not a writing job I'd wish on anyone.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Rochallor posted:

The episode is in kind of a weird place where you can't deal with the regeneration, I think. Usually when that happens the Doctor gets sidelined a bit until the end and you fill that time with the supporting cast... but there isn't one, and you have to introduce a new companion, and you have to introduce the Doctor, too, since this is technically their first solo outing, and it's a Christmas episode.

As mid as the episode was for me, it's not a writing job I'd wish on anyone.

Yeah, the only time I've seen them keep the Doctor the main focus of a post-regen episode is Eleventh Hour, it was just a Doctor without his tools and tricks. 10 slept most of his first full episode, 12 also was out for the count for a bit and also dealing with a very serious personality difference, and 13 was similar to Eleventh Hour just not as good.

I like that 15 is already paying close attention to Ruby at the start of this, which allows us to jump right in without all that, just "Ah, the Doctor got his gear back on, he's ready to go an he's already found something interesting to investigate"

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I liked the episode. Gatwa feels like a whirlwind, in a good way. Not sure what to think of Ruby yet. It fell a bit flat for me, and I'm having trouble putting my finger on what or why. The episode was good, but I expected more? And I noticed them trying to hide the (not) absent baby, which was weird. I might have to rewatch the episode, as we were also having Christmas dinner, so maybe I was too distracted.

Looking forward to the new season regardless :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It floods when it gets too rainy. Rani. :rimshot:

(And Ruby is one of her experiments maybe, that's why she has no parents?)

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Onomarchus posted:

Anyway, this post is finally over. Sorry for length.
Nah this was a good read, rambling and all. Perhaps a bit more than the episode deserved but I hope to be wrong :)

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
A thing I just noticed on my rewatch is that Mrs Flood changes after 15 fixes the timeline. Before that, she's a normal person, but afterwards she acts differently and, as we learn at the end, is aware of what the TARDIS is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought they were trying to keep Carla out because she could unwittingly cause accidents? And as soon as they did let her in and gave her any time to think and talk she started letting the goblins in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A ten year old clip on the official YouTube channel: note the description

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 26, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

A ten year old clip on the official YouTube channel: note the description

My bike's never had an issue with mavity, don't see why his is so special. :colbert:

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

CapnAndy posted:

Here is my crackpot theory: Mrs. Flood is Ruby’s mom. She is also Old Ruby. Ruby All You Zombies’d herself.

Our Ruby Or Ros

When's the episode with JFK shooting himself from the grassy knoll

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't know which annoys me more, the mavity joke or the fact the mavity joke annoys me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's the fact Mavity is a made up word, rather than taking the term from latin

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I admire their commitment to the Mavity joke, at least, even if I don't find it particularly funny.

As for the special, on thing I liked is that Ruby invites herself into the TARDIS. Now clearly it's what the Doctor wanted since he was waiting for her, but it's a nice twist to the "Come on in, oh don't worry it's bigger on the inside" the Doctor usually does

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vampess posted:

Not sure what to think of Ruby yet. It fell a bit flat for me, and I'm having trouble putting my finger on what or why.

The scene in the kitchen where she's piecing it all together has some atrocious forced dialogue. Like every question she's posing herself has 10 question marks after it

"Harry Houdini????????"
"What did he mean before????????"

She doesn't really have much onscreen presence yet. So looking forward to see what she's like when the season starts

quote:

The episode was good, but I expected more?

Not getting a post-regeneration fugue state Doctor episode is probably it. Episode probably could have benefited from it a little bit in scenes like "I'm figuring out the science of rope".

It's a new companion episode otherwise, and it was pretty great regardless

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I admire their commitment to the Mavity joke, at least, even if I don't find it particularly funny.

As for the special, on thing I liked is that Ruby invites herself into the TARDIS. Now clearly it's what the Doctor wanted since he was waiting for her, but it's a nice twist to the "Come on in, oh don't worry it's bigger on the inside" the Doctor usually does

Did he wait? As noted he's wearing a different top under his coat when she enters the TARDIS, and i'm pretty sure you hear the vworp vworp before Ruby's scene deciding to chase him...

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I have to confess I didn’t quite “get” Gatwa as The Doctor in The Giggle, largely because of the script making him feel like a third wheel in The David Tennant Show, but he clicked for me here faster than any other Doctor’s first episode.

I was absolutely sold by “Health and Safety. Gin and tonic division.”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mrs. Flood mentioned not seeing a police box like that for fifty years. If she had specifically seen the TARDIS and not a regular police box, that would have been 1973.

Obviously we wouldn’t see the Brig or any familiar characters, but I do wonder if they’ll have The Doctor pop by 70s era UNIT for old times sake?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

A thing I just noticed on my rewatch is that Mrs Flood changes after 15 fixes the timeline. Before that, she's a normal person, but afterwards she acts differently and, as we learn at the end, is aware of what the TARDIS is.

Actually, that might be the answer to the question of why she thought her neighbor parked the Tardis there. Original timeline: Doctor pops off after saving the baby. Replacement timeline: Ruby is gone and she's acting differently. Restored timeline: Doctor and Ruby pop off for adventures in time and space and encounter Mrs. Flood in the past.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know which annoys me more, the mavity joke or the fact the mavity joke annoys me.

It feels like they're trying to force a meme, which can quickly get on people's nerves. OTOH, if they don't keep hitting it then :shrug: .

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's an easter egg. They're not going to ax us to engage with it more than that.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Did he wait? As noted he's wearing a different top under his coat when she enters the TARDIS, and i'm pretty sure you hear the vworp vworp before Ruby's scene deciding to chase him...

Yeah he went away and came back

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Do we know if the runtime for these specials is unusually long or if we're sticking to 50-60 mins an episode for May? Because if it's the latter, 8 episodes honestly works out to about the same amount of runtime as 11 at the old 42-45 minute mark.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The specials have always been longer. I don’t see any reason to assume the normal episodes will be any longer than usual.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Another thing I really appreciate: when Ruby is erased from the timeline, the Doctor clearly remembers her, even though everyone else doesn't. Her mum tries after he tries making her remember, just like Amy did when Rory got himself ate by a crack in time.

It's a small thing, but I do appreciate this sort of mechanical consistency and callbacks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dabir posted:

It's an easter egg. They're not going to ax us to engage with it more than that.

Let's just hope it's a bit more subtle than what our friends in Hollywoo subject us to.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I watched the Xmas special last night, I have some thoughts.

- Theres something very fallopian about the opening credits.

- The biker jacket and kilt should be the official costume, it looks great.

- Was not expecting them to kill Davina McCall as herself!

- Is the santa hat on that one goblin ironic or do the goblins celebrate Xmas? And if so are they religious or is it more of a secular "spending time with your family and who doesnt love presents" kind of thing?

- Theres something quite Terry Gilliam-esque about these goblins in their flying ship.

- "Screwdrivers need screws." Since loving when Doctor? I get they are having one of the intermittent "We need to scale back the sonic, its too much of a plot solving magic wand" phases but still, stuck out to me.

- Gatwas Scottish accent shows in his filler sounds. You catch the edge of it when he says "Eh" or "Erm". I approve. First time we've had a scots doctor follow a scots doctor, now the precedent in there I fully expect every doctor going forward to be scottish. We'll phase the accent in over the next couple, full weegie doctor by 2030.

- Okay, the obvious thing would be if Mrs Floods is Rubys mum, but my big time play for prediction is; Ruby is the one leaving Baby Ruby at the church because time shenanigans. And if I'm making wild swings, shes also the one who picked up the gold tooth with the master in it.

- gently caress me thats some awful parking of the Tardis, on the road AND pavement on a corner AND on double yellows?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I respect the fact they're hammering a joke that hard, but also kind of hate the specific joke a whole bunch.

Overall I liked it well enough. Gatwas smashing it as the Doctor, Ruby was fine, her family were pretty great. We're headed back towards full bore "Doctor who as a fairy tale" which isnt my favourite take on the show, but its not grating on me yet. As an episode it was decent. As a Xmas episode specifically, well it was Labyrinth meets Its a Wonderful Life, was some enjoyable nonsense. Puts it pretty high up the Festive Who episode charts for me.

Plus;
https://x.com/bonthehedgehog/status/1739356722639012217?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, that might be the answer to the question of why she thought her neighbor parked the Tardis there. Original timeline: Doctor pops off after saving the baby. Replacement timeline: Ruby is gone and she's acting differently. Restored timeline: Doctor and Ruby pop off for adventures in time and space and encounter Mrs. Flood in the past.

It feels like they're trying to force a meme, which can quickly get on people's nerves. OTOH, if they don't keep hitting it then :shrug: .

I'm not so sure the mavity thing is just a joke, coupled with the post you quoted:

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Two points isn't a trend yet, but there does seem to be a theme of little changes to history that aren't explicitly commented on. The Ruby vanishing thing technically fits, except it's called out.

I thought at the time that the intro to that episode with Isaac Newton was weirdly placed, but perhaps it's building to something. I doubt Mrs. Flood herself is a particularly essential character, but we're supposed to notice that she's changed.

More baseless speculation! The shot of Ruby's mom lingers long enough that that's definitely going to come up again, although with already having seen Baby Rose we're treading dangerously close to repetition with Curse of Fenric and Father's Day. I hope there's more to it than "Ruby meets her mom."