Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Peeve: parcel delivery drivers that don't read labels on the packages. Got one delivered to my apartment yesterday (no knock either, just left at the door), it has my apartment number but a completely different address for a building across the complex from mine. Hell, the building address is above BOTH of the entrances & not even in the same ballpark other than the apartment number. How does someone gently caress up that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Peeve: parcel delivery drivers that don't read labels on the packages. Got one delivered to my apartment yesterday (no knock either, just left at the door), it has my apartment number but a completely different address for a building across the complex from mine. Hell, the building address is above BOTH of the entrances & not even in the same ballpark other than the apartment number. How does someone gently caress up that bad?
I recently saw on the USPS tracking page that someone had signed to receive the envelope containing a copy of my birth certificate. The tracking page included the name of the signer; I've never heard of them, and neither have any of my neighbors.

Somehow it showed up, unopened, like five days later. Still have no idea what the hell happened.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who have a cough... but it's the SAME EXACT cough every time. Like they coughed into a sampler one time and they're just pressing the button over and over. At least change it up!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Goons, that "turn your monitor on" joke hasn't worked for twenty years. What monitors are you using that you can still see your reflection back in it?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

credburn posted:

Goons, that "turn your monitor on" joke hasn't worked for twenty years. What monitors are you using that you can still see your reflection back in it?

A LG oled tv with shiny glass.
Monitors are usually somewhat matte, but a lot of modern TVs make for excellent large monitors, and are unfortunately shiny, just like crts and lcd+glass monitors of yore.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Dec 24, 2023

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I got a LOTR box set for Christmas but the third one doesn't match the others.....

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

I got a LOTR box set for Christmas but the third one doesn't match the others.....

Whoever is responsible for that is a monster

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

SubNat posted:

A LG oled tv with shiny glass.
Monitors are usually somewhat matte, but a lot of modern TVs make for excellent large monitors, and are unfortunately shiny, just like crts and lcd+glass monitors of yore.

Come on.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

You're a vampire, sorry you are finding out this way

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure BG3 is gonna show "Steam Cloud Sync Error" for the entire time I'll be playing it considering how many quick/auto-saves it'll be trying to sync from my long play sessions and how quickly I put my computer to sleep after closing the game.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When I somehow type and post a whole post without realizing I'm in the wrong thread.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The state of apps on Google play is just such loving abysmal, predatory poo poo.
I just needed a quick 'ar measuring' app on my phone to roughly estimate a couple distances.

Every single top result was some reskinned baby's first AR measuring thing that would not even boot without you agreeing to a 3-day trial that would start autobilling a yearly subscription for 30-40$ once that expired.
Google just loves these predatory tactics as long as they provide more money than bad PR, but atleast give me the option to filter away apps where I can't do anything in them without agreeing to a perpetual subscription. (Or at least, remove the ability for them to autobill after short <7 day trial periods.)

In general, I really wish 'trial but will automatically continue unprompted' subscriptions were illegal, it's such a scummy tactic. Especially when services do it with longer periods to make people forget about it.
(Samsung tablets occasionally come with a couple months of youtube premium for free, but you have to link up a valid credit card to activate it... and it of course just silently slips over to billing you when you forget.)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

Brawnfire posted:

When I somehow type and post a whole post without realizing I'm in the wrong thread.

Both of these are deeply-held Goon traditions and I oppose any attempts to remove or change either on religious grounds.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

Pet peeve: Goons who try to act cool by acting like they have never seen a Mac.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

lobsterminator posted:

Pet peeve: Goons who try to act cool by acting like they have never seen a Mac.

What about Goons who haven't touched a Mac since 1993?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The last mac I touched was this one

Sorry h8rs 😎

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

imperiusdamian posted:

What about Goons who haven't touched a Mac since 1993?

It's been a long time since I last touched a woman, but I still know they exist!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

The last mac I touched was this one

Sorry h8rs 😎

One of my friends had one of these and we played Glider on it all the time. I think that's the only time I've seen a Mac outside of a school, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I get annoyed at how many people I see at the office paying like $38 for lunch because they used Uber Eats. Some do it every day.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

I get annoyed at how many people I see at the office paying like $38 for lunch because they used Uber Eats. Some do it every day.

First up against the wall

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mu Zeta posted:

I got some satisfaction out of my coworker who always eats out telling me that my meal prep lunches look better than what he just paid $20+ for.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Peeve: when I visit someone expecting to cook dinner and bring ingredients but they have nothing. No pans, no utensils. Eating out so often that even the concept of instant ramen is completely beyond them and not happening. Like, do they think it's normal for 70% of their income to go to food?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

:smith:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
TV shows and movies that play fake morse code. It would take like 20 cents to play "drink your ovaltine" instead of gibberish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dip Viscous posted:

Peeve: when I visit someone expecting to cook dinner and bring ingredients but they have nothing. No pans, no utensils. Eating out so often that even the concept of instant ramen is completely beyond them and not happening. Like, do they think it's normal for 70% of their income to go to food?

I spent years travelling for work, now I don’t. When I moved for my current job I got rid of 90 percent of the stuff that was in my last apartment because it was a hodgepodge of random crap and all of it was “I’m barely here to use it, why spend a lot of money” quality stuff. The only thing I kept from my kitchen was my coffee mugs. It’s amazing how much kitchen poo poo I forget I need until I’m midway through cooking.

Doing EMS then work travel kind of turned me into a goblin that lived off takeout though, it’s been hard to recivilize. It’s crazy how much of my budget went to food when I was living like that though, especially when I did EMS and made sweet gently caress-all.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Dip Viscous posted:

Peeve: No pans, no utensils.

I am at the opposite of this. We have lived in the same house for 20 years, but several times a year we run across the one kitchen item we don't have.

"What do you mean we don't have any cookie cutters? How can that loving be possible? We have cabinets full of poo poo from when your grandma who cooked every day died!!"

At least we still have the crab crackers and picks in a drawer somewhere.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Or "where the gently caress is the meat thermometer I know we have one I just saw it...uh...a year ago...in the previous apartment...gently caress."

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Loling remembering the time a coworker asked me where I got my sandwich. I said I made it at home, he said that was weird because it had toasted bread.

"What? I just fried it in a pan for a little bit."

"Ah, then I couldn't make it."

"Do you live in a small apartment with no kitchen?"

"No I just never learned how to cook haha."

When you hear there are people out there who don't know how to boil water it's 100% unironically true.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I grew up with a single mother who worked nights as a nurse and was often asleep around mealtimes, so yeah, I learned how to cook.

I am however other peoples' pet peeve because my cooking is usually pretty improvisational, so when people ask for a recipe for a thing I made I'll just sort of stare blankly and say "Uh, I put some of this and this and this together WHAT DO YOU MEAN HOW MUCH JUST COMBINE THEM TIL IT LOOKS RIGHT"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Punkinhead posted:

I never learn how hot pan work :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Punkinhead posted:

Loling remembering the time a coworker asked me where I got my sandwich. I said I made it at home, he said that was weird because it had toasted bread.

"Do you live in a small apartment with no kitchen?"

"No I just never learned how to cook haha."

When you hear there are people out there who don't know how to boil water it's 100% unironically true.

In my mid twenties I taught a guy my age how to make a tuna sandwich. Some people weren't raised, they just were looked after so they didn't choke on Lego.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When I was in my 20s I had a friend come over and she was going to teach me how to cook, but the first fuckin thing she did was preheat the oven which set all my pizza boxes on fire

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My old housemate was a doctor, and she was also going out with a doctor. I got to witness him attempt to cook a stir fry, the first thing he did was put dry noodle nests into a hot dry pan, I had to take it off the hob when it started to burn. He got really upset with me when I told him that's not how you cook those noodles, and it might have been the tone but it's hard to not be condescending when you have to explain how to cook dry noodles.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Punkinhead posted:

I taught a guy to boil water. His first attempt involved putting water in a pot and sticking it in the oven. He did not know how to work an oven, and somehow managed to put it on broil. Cue the house full of toxic black smoke when the resin pot handle caught fire. He just kind of stood there and watched the whole episode go down until I ran out of my room.

He had literally never cooked or prepared any of his own meals. Everything was done by mom, a girlfriend or the cook at his frat house. Showed him how to boil water for pasta, pour milk in cereal and make a quesadilla. And that is all he ever ate at that house until I moved out a few months later.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I had a roommate that once threw all of the dirty dishes in the oven and set it to "clean"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FFT posted:

I had a roommate that once threw all of the dirty dishes in the oven and set it to "clean"

Please tell me they were good ceramic and earthenware at least? Not plastic poo poo that melted into a toxic conglomeration?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

docbeard posted:

I grew up with a single mother who worked nights as a nurse and was often asleep around mealtimes, so yeah, I learned how to cook.

I am however other peoples' pet peeve because my cooking is usually pretty improvisational, so when people ask for a recipe for a thing I made I'll just sort of stare blankly and say "Uh, I put some of this and this and this together WHAT DO YOU MEAN HOW MUCH JUST COMBINE THEM TIL IT LOOKS RIGHT"

This is my wife. She only uses recipes as a guideline.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Arrath posted:

Please tell me they were good ceramic and earthenware at least? Not plastic poo poo that melted into a toxic conglomeration?

You know in your heart what the answer is

I'm still baffled that my older sister was still burning pop tarts & ruining pans with soup or mac & cheese well into her teenage years when I was a little kid. Maybe the smoke alarms are what gave me tinnitus?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Arrath posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is my wife. She only uses recipes as a guideline.

Unless you are baking, recipes are basically just a guideline if you have a basic level of cooking skill.

If I'm making some pasta sauce, I'll start with a can of tomatoes but from there I am freestyling with whatever herbs and spices that catch my eye and seem like they might be good.