Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Raymond T. Racing posted:

I mean in this case I'd argue that umbreon wants the mexican adderall

As I have *actual* prescribed to me, I'm going to assume that trying to stack it with Mexican Adderall is an extremely bad idea lol.

Thanks for the tips and information goons, I'll keep you posted once my actual job starts, and hopefully my doctor can get something worked out to make going to work during the day less risky for me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Internet Explorer posted:

Almost everyone increments or changes one small thing. It and password reuse are like the main reasons it's no longer recommended to change regularly, let alone 90 days.

Good luck convincing my IT dept of that lol

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Almost everyone increments or changes one small thing. It and password reuse are like the main reasons it's no longer recommended to change regularly, let alone 90 days.

As far as I'm aware this password policy has been in place for years, also to complement that we really have like three layers of SSO security stuff, but two are tokens, one being a phone token and one being a soft token that we specifically configure on client computers.

The majority of chats we get by volume are people needing the RSA soft token fixed, either lockouts or other problems, like for some reason there's some temperamental behavior where even if the time/pin/seed file are accurate, the PIN will desync from the seed and generate incorrect tokencodes. The only thing to do it seems is generate a new token and pin and try to clear those issues up.

Also there's like weird edge cases where someone can have their token changed, and not e-mailed to them. I had a work from home guy with that issue where he was still using the old token and hadn't been sent his new seed file.

In other news today I had an almost two hour long encounter with a guy in Giza who keeps making tickets for a transient virtualization problem, when I consulted the docs it looks like everything is provisioned on client login and deprovisioned on client log-off. This means the issue is probably some kind of profile specific provisioning or profile corruption problem? Anyway He buried the lede super hard on how much troubleshooting he'd done and then kept going loving AFK, I finally gave up and told him I would have to teams him to screenshare and he just pulled a houdini and left. Opened up another ticket and boom there he was again.

When I consulted the tickets he'd created for this previously, apparently the internal application team that does these virtualization programs looked at it, shrugged, said enduser error.

Anyway, enterprise IT so far is kinda neat, my new job is very chill. I spend most of my days listening to podcasts and watching youtube videos while answering tickets. My boss told me I'm in the top-half of performers already lmao.

Susat fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 23, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Susat posted:

Anyway, enterprise IT so far is kinda neat, my new job is very chill. I spend most of my days listening to podcasts and watching youtube videos while answering tickets. My boss told me I'm in the top-half of performers already lmao.

Congrats on being above average already. Standing out early on as a hard/competent worker will give you a great reputation going forward. You'll be trusted with more stuff (not always a good thing), promoted ahead of peers, and generally given more flexibility assuming a halfway decent manager.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So I didn't take much PTO this year so I had a bunch of hours banked.

2 days ago the org announced unlimited PTO (with a bunch of hoops to jump through).

If you have hours banked, you use those first.

Bunch of bullshit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GreenNight posted:

So I didn't take much PTO this year so I had a bunch of hours banked.

2 days ago the org announced unlimited PTO (with a bunch of hoops to jump through).

If you have hours banked, you use those first.

Bunch of bullshit.

Take January off!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Any PTO longer than 16 hours needs 30 day request in advance and approved by boss and boss^1.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol what

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Any PTO longer than 16 hours needs 30 day request in advance and approved by boss and boss^1.

Time for a new job, gently caress that poo poo.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

What if you’re sick?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

jaegerx posted:

What if you’re sick?

You cannot use Unlimited PTO for sick time. You accrue 1 hour of sick time per 30 hours worked. You can bank up to 54 hours of sick time.

I'm not joking.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

You cannot use Unlimited PTO for sick time. You accrue 1 hour of sick time per 30 hours worked. You can bank up to 54 hours of sick time.

I'm not joking.

Sever

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The new company sucks fuckin rear end I swear. All the benefits are poo poo. Or vision and dental costs doubled and health is up 80%. They said they will salary adjust us for the new org but I just got the email and it's an extra $13 per paycheck.

Also our 401k is split in half now - half goes to 401k and half goes into buying new org stocks - which vest in 3 years.

poo poo on top of poo poo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

The new company sucks fuckin rear end I swear. All the benefits are poo poo. Or vision and dental costs doubled and health is up 80%. They said they will salary adjust us for the new org but I just got the email and it's an extra $13 per paycheck.

Also our 401k is split in half now - half goes to 401k and half goes into buying new org stocks - which vest in 3 years.

poo poo on top of poo poo.

Getting dunked on left and right.

I can't keep track of Goons but did that job sponsor you for a clearance? Might be time to :yotj:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Getting dunked on left and right.

I can't keep track of Goons but did that job sponsor you for a clearance? Might be time to :yotj:

Yes sir. Good memory. Most of the clearance jobs require sec+ so I should probably work on that.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

Yes sir. Good memory. Most of the clearance jobs require sec+ so I should probably work on that.

Sounds like you have a plan to gtfo, godspeed

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not much of a plan, just possible opportunity. I'm in Madison and I'm not moving.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Security+ is at least a cake cert to get. A few weeks of study and you’ll be good to go

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I'm doing OT on christmas eve today and I've had my second encounter with someone I'm aware of as an "Office Character." and god does nobody like doing this person's tickets.

He's a dude out in mumbai who speaks pretty good english and acts as an enduser liaison for support requests, but no matter how many times I instruct him on troubleshooting steps, he'll always ignore it and do something else.

Today I just gave up and escalated because I requested a couple tests, and this time the user liaison came back to me and was like "ok i reset everything can you reset the password?" "do you mean password or passcode" "passcode"

Keep in mind this enduser is not locked out, I cannot issue new tokens yet, so I have escalate to identity management. I reset their account once already and the authentication method errors out with method failure, I wanted the user to test their PIN because it eliminates one of two likely causes. If the user liaison just did that and it still failed, I'm going to assume it's probably a token seed sync error but I'm also going to be a little catty in the work-notes about it.

However I asked several times "did the pin test pass" and just kept getting my question ignored.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh come on, why are we pretending to be working today?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 26, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Because I'm one of three people physically in the office.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like you three should throw a party.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Me, my boss, and the FSO. So exciting.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look I never said it couldn't be a murder mystery party. :cheeky:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those kinds of days suck because there's a huge risk of bored bosses stopping by to shoot the poo poo. I've never had a boss where we have common interests so it's always awkward as gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

Those kinds of days suck because there's a huge risk of bored bosses stopping by to shoot the poo poo. I've never had a boss where we have common interests so it's always awkward as gently caress.

Appreciate the heads up, just closed my office door.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've grown very accustomed to the two week campus closure for holiday break. Like I forget places are actually open this week.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

This is the way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Major software update had to happen before the end of year and the other dept's ducks weren't in a row beforehand, so of course it got scheduled over Christmas weekend. IT was the only group in the office on Friday.

Putting out the minor fires from that upgrade, and otherwise not doing poo poo today.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Updating MX records and offboarding an MSP today after 5.

Rest of the day is bullshitting though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I always volunteer to stay around during the holidays. nobody is working and my manager always approves my two week vacation that happens after everyone returns to the office after the holidays and all the "emergencies" start.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm on pto until the new year, but some advice for those of you at work when it's slow:

check out tiny rogues

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

because our elastic cluster ran out of disk space :negative:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I've left everything to my coworker for two days so I expect to have a massive pile of work to do and fuckups to fix tomorrow

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

because our elastic cluster ran out of disk space :negative:

:rip:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Manager is on vacation, I’ve got pretty much no guidance. We’re out early on Thursday and Friday is another day off. Other than picking up a printer from another office my week is looking pretty cake

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

it’s not the end of the world, the fix amounted to incrementing an integer in our deployment manifest to scale up some additional hot nodes. But clearly we have work to do to better balance shard counts and sizes when we get back. To my immense irritation - the vast majority of the tiny shards we have are all from elastic native managed services, most of which lack lifecycle policies!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 26, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its the manager of my department retires at the end of the week, and he said on the team call this morning that he has already packed up all this work equipment and was going to ship it today. Thats a strong level of dontgiveashititis there that I almost respect him for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

Its the manager of my department retires at the end of the week, and he said on the team call this morning that he has already packed up all this work equipment and was going to ship it today. Thats a strong level of dontgiveashititis there that I almost respect him for.

What are they gonna do, fire him?

Respect that.