Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grand Fromage posted:

We had the term koreaboo in Korea so I guess Chinaboo?

I met a lot of people in China who were interested in the country/culture/history/language, I met tankie idiots, I met people who moved there to get into TCM, but I never once met anyone interested in the pop culture.

<cries in liking a bunch of chinese rock groups>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

<cries in liking a bunch of chinese rock groups>

I knew people into underground/fringe culture, metal shows in dingy clubs and stuff. That's not pop culture.

Stand-up comedy was still underground when I was there, it has since exploded in popularity and attracted Sauron's eye.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

metal knows no borders

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HK cinema was too beautiful so they killed it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i'm a wanggangboo

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Xiaboo here. I don't even like chinese culture I just love my big strong daddy who's going to stand up to the goobal bully america.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

metal knows no borders

metal is illegal in saudi because they look at the black metal getups and unironically literally believe in shaitan

so there's one band i know of, and they do it underground or they die

https://www.vice.com/en/article/zngeew/anti-religious-black-metal-band-in-saudi-arabia-666

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The People's Republic: hey at least we're not Saudi Arabia.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Someone needs to set the "Days without a new Monkey King" sign back to zero:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

i like this one

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Xiaboo is right there, guys.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

also a big fan of the mythical xia dynasty

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Borscht posted:

Please, I am a man of culture. Xiist.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

weiboo is very good tho but you gotta do the WEI in the traditional 140dB scream

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grand Fromage posted:

I knew people into underground/fringe culture, metal shows in dingy clubs and stuff. That's not pop culture.

Stand-up comedy was still underground when I was there, it has since exploded in popularity and attracted Sauron's eye.

i suppose i wouldnt draw such a hard line between niche and mass (and more party-approved) popular culture, but increasing mainstream reach and accompanying sauron attention has been part of what makes it interesting to watch from afar

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ili posted:

Xiaboo here. I don't even like chinese culture I just love my big strong daddy who's going to stand up to the goobal bully america.

11/10 Uighers approve!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Uyghurs aren't real Zenz made them up.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

Speaking of, I saw The Fly (苍蝇) maybe a month ago and they loving ruled. A bunch of old dudes doing Chinese punk that's like "yeah we also heard a bunch of grunge so we're just gonna play that too" from 30 years ago that sounds more like punk from 40 years ago, but also wildly experimental. The lyrics are a trip, the whole thing kinda is.

I didn't find too much about them in English but there is this article that explains the whole thing pretty well.

Also, some of their stuff up on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9IKHrFcyao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

metal is illegal in saudi because they look at the black metal getups and unironically literally believe in shaitan

so there's one band i know of, and they do it underground or they die

https://www.vice.com/en/article/zngeew/anti-religious-black-metal-band-in-saudi-arabia-666

Stay safe in darkness, my friends

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Glah posted:

There is good cinema coming from mainland China, but those movies aren't really breaking box office records outside or inside China. And I doubt tankies who think modern China a great place really appreciate movies from guys like Jia Zhangke whose work doesn't paint a pretty picture of Chinese society. So it is understandable that people dismiss Chinese cinema as jingoistic Wolf Warrior spectacles. But there's a lot of good poo poo coming from there if you know where to look.

Got any recommendations?

ili posted:

I didn't know R.Guyovich posted here.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, there is a metal and punk scene in China, but it's underground. I remember going to School Bar in Beijing and checking out bands on weekends. It had that dingy dive bar feel.

I know Wuhan has a metal scene and there are bands that tour the country, but they don't really come that often to the tier 2s.

One of my mates is out in Chengdu and that's like Alt central. Decent LGBTQ scene out there and TONS of goth/punk girls as well.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Okuteru posted:

I know Wuhan has a metal scene and there are bands that tour the country, but they don't really come that often to the tier 2s.

Wuhan is where the punk scene seems to mostly be, too. I got a half planned trip to Wuhan Prison bar to check out some stuff coming up.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BrainDance posted:

Wuhan is where the punk scene seems to mostly be, too. I got a half planned trip to Wuhan Prison bar to check out some stuff coming up.

For as much as Shanghai likes to think it's special and paint itself as an "international city" (it's not:ssh:), there is YYT, but that's about it. I feel like it's mostly jazz or whatever c-pop boy bands they get to play at the stadium. I don't know much about the hip hop or club scene out here

Expats tend to either do cover bands or they live out their theater kid fantasies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

We had the term koreaboo in Korea so I guess Chinaboo?

I met a lot of people in China who were interested in the country/culture/history/language, I met tankie idiots, I met people who moved there to get into TCM, but I never once met anyone interested in the pop culture.

I always used "Kimchi Cheerleader" instead of "Koreaboo"

But your point about weaboos being obsessed with anime or some bullshit ninja poo poo whilst not caring about actual Japanese culture or life. And Kimchi Cheerleaders knowing the minutea of the latest Black Pink gossip, but not knowing who 이순신 is stands true.

As an ESL teacher for elementary school kids this shits me hugely. Especially here in Japan where there I have met Western "anime fans" who can talk to you for hours about Dragonball Z lore, but don't know who Doraemon is. And I had the same in Korea, but swap cartoons for pop singers. I mean, if you say you are a fan of this sort of stuff, the least yuo could do is at least be aware of the thing that the kids you work for/with are into.

Edit: Re Chinese pop culture:

Hui Tai Lang rules! Yes he does.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 17, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The foreigner expat tier list goes

Weird: Anime virgins living in Japan
Weirder: K-pop stalkers living in Korea
Weirdest: Unpaid Chinese government propagandists because America is the great Satan

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always used "Kimchi Cheerleader" instead of "Koreaboo"

Kimcheerleader, surely?

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Okuteru posted:

Got any recommendations?

Jia Zhangke's, whom I mentioned, is one of my favourite directors in the world currently working and really his whole filmography is worth checking out. I think his most famous works are Still Life (2006), that is about how Three Gorges Dam hosed massive amounts towns and how it tore down whole communities, and A Touch of Sin (2013), a anthology film about violence caused by material conditions of poor Chinese chafing under corruption of local officials and factory owners. But I'd start with his first films, even if they are maybe a bit less accessible, the so called Shanxi -trilogy (all made totally outside of Chinese film bureaucracy): Xiao Shan Going Home (not a full length feature), Xiao Wu (about a petty criminal) and the Platform from late 90's/early 2000's. Platform especially is one of the best films that has come out of mainland China in history of cinema. It follows a theater troupe working from cultural revolution era through Deng Xiaoping reforms and how the massive changes in Chinese society affected them (spoiler: it's depressing).

Common theme in his movies has been about alienation that ordinary Chinese feel through urbanization, liberalization of economy and all the state capitalist fuckery that came with it.

Bi Gan is a younger director but shows tons of promise. Long Day's Journey into Night (2018) is an awesome film, that reminded me a lot of HK-cinema legend Wong Kar-Wai.

And when talking about mainland Chinese cinema, I always got to mention one of my favourite films ever, An Elephant Sitting Still (2018) by Bu Ho. Not only is the film one of the most depressing films I've ever seen, the backstory around it is even more depressing. It was the first film by 29 year old Bo Hu and he absolutely knocked it out of the park with his debut. But he was going through some personal issues at the time, and when the production company started loving with his movie (wanting to cut it massively down from movie's intimidating 4 hour runtime and basically destroying his work), Bo Hu ended up committing a suicide. After that, his family managed to buy out the rights for the film, and it ended up being released exactly according to Bo Hu's vision. But Jesus loving Christ, it is a sad story. And the world of cinema lost a director who had the potential to become one of the greats.

If you want to see just one Chinese movie, I recommend whole heartedly An Elephant Sitting Still. You just have to plan a quiet evening to watching it because it creates a very unique and not very positive mindspace.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Here's a band I learned about yesterday: Suck Glue Boys. They're a "punk collective" from Taiwan. This album loving goes and goes hard.

https://suckglueboys.bandcamp.com/album/spit-s-t

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Glah posted:

And when talking about mainland Chinese cinema, I always got to mention one of my favourite films ever, An Elephant Sitting Still (2018) by Bu Ho. Not only is the film one of the most depressing films I've ever seen, the backstory around it is even more depressing. It was the first film by 29 year old Bo Hu and he absolutely knocked it out of the park with his debut. But he was going through some personal issues at the time, and when the production company started loving with his movie (wanting to cut it massively down from movie's intimidating 4 hour runtime and basically destroying his work), Bo Hu ended up committing a suicide. After that, his family managed to buy out the rights for the film, and it ended up being released exactly according to Bo Hu's vision. But Jesus loving Christ, it is a sad story. And the world of cinema lost a director who had the potential to become one of the greats.

If you want to see just one Chinese movie, I recommend whole heartedly An Elephant Sitting Still. You just have to plan a quiet evening to watching it because it creates a very unique and not very positive mindspace.

Based on the sad story and suicide, I'm assuming his name is pronounced "Boo Hoo".

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
If someone wants to do a deeper dive into actually good Chinese cinema, good way to do it is to look for directors who get characterized as belonging to "Sixth Generation" of Chinese filmmakers. On average you can be pretty sure that their films have something interesting to say.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_China#The_sixth_generation

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Borscht posted:

Pooh'aboo?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Speaking of films, I don't know anything about Chinese movies or how they're made or consumed, but I am an action movie fan, and have noticed a steady trickle of very cheap but superior quality direct-to-video chinese action flicks over the last few years. For example, Fight Against Evil 1 (‘东北警察故事’) and its sequel (‘东北警察故事2’), Eye for an Eye (‘目中无人’), Lamb Game (‘羔羊游戏’), Ace Bodyguard (‘王牌保镖之疾速追击’), Fierce Cop (‘烈探’), etc. In the west, nobody watches DTV action movies aside from a small number of addicts like me, but I wonder if action has a bigger foothold in China. What's curious is that the filmmakers have made very little effort to market these movies to western audiences.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Glah posted:

and it has a Hualun soundtrack to boot

unironically this is why i watched it, but it turns out it's also a good film in its own right!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ez8 posted:

I thought tankie was more for communist supporters in general.

Tankies don't care about communism or know what it is, they're just big fans of every imperialism except "Western" imperialism. HTH.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Glah posted:

If someone wants to do a deeper dive into actually good Chinese cinema, good way to do it is to look for directors who get characterized as belonging to "Sixth Generation" of Chinese filmmakers. On average you can be pretty sure that their films have something interesting to say.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_China#The_sixth_generation

I don't watch a lot of movies, Chinese or otherwise, but I loving love "Suzhou River" from 1998, written and directed by Lou Ye.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

peanut posted:

I'm sorry to say that Tiger isn't good either

I remember being excited (and dismayed at the price) when I bought and drank one in Singapore, then immediately regretted it. Weak-rear end piss.

My Cathay Pacific flight today generously gave me 3 cans of Betty, their in-house IPA and it was pretty good. Named after their first aircraft, which is currently suspended from the ceiling of the Hong Kong science museum (though not got much longer).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tankies don't care about communism or know what it is, they're just big fans of every imperialism except "Western" imperialism. HTH.
"Communism" is that thing Father hates, right? Well, call me a communite!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It’s almost the year two thousand twenty four and China is still raining rocket boosters on villages in Guangxi

https://twitter.com/whyyoutouzhele/status/1739669174622761386

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

It’s almost the year two thousand twenty four and China is still raining rocket boosters on villages in Guangxi

I shouldn’t laugh because wtf but holy fuckin lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol what a joke of a country and so is anyone who stans for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Porfiriato posted:

i am gonna be a dick, but we kinda forget how good we have it in parts of the world. like yeah everywhere has issues and awful poo poo, but i dont have to worry about NASA launching a rocket and pieces of it landing on my house or yard and then having the whole thing covered up.