Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Some movie I saw recently had a thing where the guy would have to jam a spatula or something like that into where the microwave door meets the microwave, in order for the microwave door to stay closed enough so he could use the microwave. For the life of me I can't remember what movie that was. My apologies that that's all the information I can supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

codyclarke posted:

Some movie I saw recently had a thing where the guy would have to jam a spatula or something like that into where the microwave door meets the microwave, in order for the microwave door to stay closed enough so he could use the microwave. For the life of me I can't remember what movie that was. My apologies that that's all the information I can supply.

I remember it also, but not the movie or the context. So at least you know it exists.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

codyclarke posted:

The Last House on the Left remake had a broken microwave as a plot point, I've never seen it though

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
Help, I’m dying.

On this very forums, I saw a swashbuckling style fight scene from a Errol Flynn style movie featuring a normal guy with a rapier and a big guy wielding a big guy weapon (warhammer, halberd, axe, etc).

It ruled. The fight was in a smaller room and the big guy just wrecked the room. The big guy was fast and threatening while the normal guy had to dance around the room to avoid being crushed.

Other random detail: there was a little kid hanging around and watching the fight. I think he was the one to instigate the fight.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

codyclarke posted:

Is it the movie in this tweet?
https://twitter.com/robbie_couch/status/1280705469934211073?lang=en
I don't have an account, so I can't see replies, additional tweets, etc, so no clue if it's named anywhere.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Slugworth posted:

Is it the movie in this tweet?
https://twitter.com/robbie_couch/status/1280705469934211073?lang=en
I don't have an account, so I can't see replies, additional tweets, etc, so no clue if it's named anywhere.

now i want to know how you stumbled on this considering everything else you jsut said

it's miss congeniality

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Alan Smithee posted:

now i want to know how you stumbled on this considering everything else you jsut said

it's miss congeniality
It was early in the morning, I was bored, so I figured "surely I could solve this one by googling", and googled movie microwave spatula.

Oddly, I now see an additional tweet in that embed - The thing about the book with a spy camera in it didn't appear when I originally found the tweet through Google or when I posted it here. Bird site is so loving dumb and broken. Or I am.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 20, 2023

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Slugworth posted:

Is it the movie in this tweet? (Miss Congeniality)

Yes, it is! Thank you so much. What's weird is I watched both Miss Congeniality and the Last House on the Left remake (which the other person suggested) within the last six months.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

as a total aside you're the been had Giammati guy right? Everytime I see him in something I think about that and have a sensible chuckle

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Alan Smithee posted:

as a total aside you're the been had Giammati guy right? Everytime I see him in something I think about that and have a sensible chuckle

Yes, I am! I appreciate that. I still have some of those bills lying around somewhere, not sure where.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

NeekBerm posted:

Help, I’m dying.

On this very forums, I saw a swashbuckling style fight scene from a Errol Flynn style movie featuring a normal guy with a rapier and a big guy wielding a big guy weapon (warhammer, halberd, axe, etc).

It ruled. The fight was in a smaller room and the big guy just wrecked the room. The big guy was fast and threatening while the normal guy had to dance around the room to avoid being crushed.

Other random detail: there was a little kid hanging around and watching the fight. I think he was the one to instigate the fight.

Can you give any more details? Big guy with big weapon vs. small, fast guy with small, fast weapon is such a common fight format that it was literally a sub-genre of Roman gladiator fights (the most popular one outside of chariot racing).

It'd just be me typing up a list of every sword-fight movie from history. This scene from Rob Roy is usually cited as the best one (because it is), but I'd have an easier time listing movies with sword-fights that didn't do this than ones who did.

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can you give any more details? Big guy with big weapon vs. small, fast guy with small, fast weapon is such a common fight format that it was literally a sub-genre of Roman gladiator fights (the most popular one outside of chariot racing).

It'd just be me typing up a list of every sword-fight movie from history. This scene from Rob Roy is usually cited as the best one (because it is), but I'd have an easier time listing movies with sword-fights that didn't do this than ones who did.

Yeah, it is a tricky one. I would place it around the late 1950’s to early 1960’s.

The reason why the clip lodged into my brain in the first place was the size of the space they were working with. It was smaller sized room with a really low ceiling. The big guy in the fight absolutely destroyed the furniture placed in the scene with what I want to say was a halberd; to the point that it looked like it would have wrecked the other actor if he accidentally landed a hit.

Some other vague details I can remember is that I was a green-ish room, and there was a foppish kid following around the normal sized protagonist.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

NeekBerm posted:

Yeah, it is a tricky one. I would place it around the late 1950’s to early 1960’s.

The reason why the clip lodged into my brain in the first place was the size of the space they were working with. It was smaller sized room with a really low ceiling. The big guy in the fight absolutely destroyed the furniture placed in the scene with what I want to say was a halberd; to the point that it looked like it would have wrecked the other actor if he accidentally landed a hit.

Some other vague details I can remember is that I was a green-ish room, and there was a foppish kid following around the normal sized protagonist.

If you're sure it's a halberd*, how about this scene from Moonfleet (1955)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0niSKfUJ1Q

There's a kid, and it's set on a ship so the room is pretty small. I'm colorblind though, is any of that poo poo green?

*I think that's technically a bardiche but c'mon

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you're sure it's a halberd*, how about this scene from Moonfleet (1955)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0niSKfUJ1Q

There's a kid, and it's set on a ship so the room is pretty small. I'm colorblind though, is any of that poo poo green?

*I think that's technically a bardiche but c'mon

That’s it exactly! None of that room is green (accurate memory is for suckers), but this was the scene that I was thinking of.

You’re a saint. Thanks for finding that and teaching me what a bardiche is!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what was the comedy movie where a bunch of musket dudes are in formation but they do the reload all hosed up

as in dudes in formation shoot formation in front of them in the back. I want to say it was a Mel Brooks movie but search isn't turning up anything. Probably 70s, no earlier than 60s

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Alan Smithee posted:

what was the comedy movie where a bunch of musket dudes are in formation but they do the reload all hosed up

as in dudes in formation shoot formation in front of them in the back. I want to say it was a Mel Brooks movie but search isn't turning up anything. Probably 70s, no earlier than 60s

Love & Death, maybe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

never watched, too new (I saw it in the 90s)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Alan Smithee posted:

never watched, too new (I saw it in the 90s)

1975 is too new?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh i got some netflix thing from the last few years when I googled

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

poo poo I actually saw love & death lol

I remember there was satirical stuff in it but usually it was woody being a cheerleader type gags but everyone else was playing it straight

when they weren't doing Persona references or whatever

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Origami Dali posted:

1975 is too new?

It's almost half a century ago

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Alan Smithee posted:

It's this part from Mel Brooks' Silent Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSlv4brEPA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

codyclarke posted:

It's this part from Mel Brooks' Silent Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hSlv4brEPA

thank you

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
movie request from my wife who swears it isnt harold and maude but cannot really pin down anything better

seen on late night german television somewhere in the mid-90s to early 2000s at latest, but was definitely post reunification - and shes pretty sure the setting of the movie was contemporary, hence ruling out h&m

features a younger guy somewhere around his twenties getting into a fairly racy or
even explicit relationship with a woman two or three decades his senior.
she's unclear how they come to spend time together, and she has an impression of an exotic, maybe south american maybe french influence but she doesnt know if thats really part of it or if shes mixing up other stuff she watched on late night german television as a teen

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ellie the beep posted:

movie request from my wife who swears it isnt harold and maude but cannot really pin down anything better

seen on late night german television somewhere in the mid-90s to early 2000s at latest, but was definitely post reunification - and shes pretty sure the setting of the movie was contemporary, hence ruling out h&m

features a younger guy somewhere around his twenties getting into a fairly racy or
she's unclear how they come to spend time together, and she has an impression of an exotic, maybe south american maybe french influence but she doesnt know if thats really part of it or if shes mixing up other stuff she watched on late night german television as a teen
Maybe Igby Goes Down? I haven't seen Harold and Maude but it seems like there's definitely some overlap in the themes

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Perhaps Class (1983) with Andrew McCarthy banging Rob Lowe's mom?

e: the iMdb page for this film brings up

quote:

The picture is part of a mini early-to-mid 1980s cycle of Hollywood movies where a young man has an affair with a more mature woman. This has started after the box-office success of the late 1970s Canadian film In Praise of Older Women (1978). The films include: Class (1983), My Tutor (1983), Private Lessons (1981), In the Mood (1987), and They're Playing with Fire (1984).

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 26, 2023

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ellie the beep posted:

Y tu mama tambien

E: maybe Spanking the Monkey but a very important aspect of that movie is missing from your wife's description that would be hard to forget or leave out if this were the answer

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 26, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ellie the beep posted:

It’s not The Piano Teacher (2001), is it? Older woman, lots of racy/kinky sex, timing is right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ellie the beep posted:

The Mother (2003) with Ann Reid and Daniel Craig?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Sounds very much like Ali: Fear Eats The Soul except for the contemporary part

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 26, 2023

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
my wife is astonished by the sheer number of guesses that fit very well but of the movies so far mentioned none of them are it ! thematically most of them are there and the timeframe is generally right (excepting class and Angst essen Seele auf) but also most of them have bits that she DEFINITELY doesnt remember (the piano teacher, spank the monkey) and a couple that just dont seem familiar at all (igby goes down, the mother)

but more than anything she's just kinda like... drat, it was kinda in the zeitgeist for a while huh

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
It's not White Palace, is it? That was 1990, had Susan Sarandon and James Spader in a similar plot

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jude Law and Susan Sarandon have this relationship in the Alfie remake so perhaps it's this or the original?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ellie the beep posted:

my wife is astonished by the sheer number of guesses that fit very well but of the movies so far mentioned none of them are it ! thematically most of them are there and the timeframe is generally right (excepting class and Angst essen Seele auf) but also most of them have bits that she DEFINITELY doesnt remember (the piano teacher, spank the monkey) and a couple that just dont seem familiar at all (igby goes down, the mother)

but more than anything she's just kinda like... drat, it was kinda in the zeitgeist for a while huh
I was kinda misremembering Igby Goes Down as having a bigger age gap (although it's still a big one), but I was also thinking they seem similar in terms of the main character being a young guy with a rich overbearing mom. Do you think stuff like that is relevant or is the relationship the main thing your wife remembers?

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

I got a tricky one but I would be infinitely grateful if I could find this movie /tv-movie again.

Okay, so the movie as I remember it was essentially a kind of absurd comedy (possibily German, definetely artistic, but maybe english also) about a Caveman who ends up becoming a Composer and themed itself heavily around Nietzschean/Wagnerian themes. I seem to remember a moment where the caveman poses like superman (knuckles on hips) after inventing a club or a musical instrument or something. I think I saw it on dailymotion.com but whatever I did see looked like it was on VHS. I saw it about 3 years ago, but the movie was older, I'd say it was probably filmed around the 80s or 90s. I seem to remember it being somewhat shorter than a full length film, maybe 60 minutes.

I have a hard time on the details though, it could have been about a composer who goes back in time before a performance and finds himself as a caveman, or something like that? I seem to remember the caveman conducting a orchestra at the end of it. There were some crude sexual themes throughout, too. Any ideas? (And before it gets said, no, its not that caveman movie with Ringo Starr).

It would be rad to see this one again!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ellie the beep posted:

Track 29?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

ellie the beep posted:

Maybe La Luna? You can also try this list on IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076284869/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if the germans consider french exotic the bar is kinda low

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ellie the beep posted:

Malena, with Monica Belluci? Italy, not France. Not really contemporary though.

This appears to be a popular topic for movies

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so I was looking at things going public domain and the Passion of Joan of Arc will be in 2024

I keep thinking of a movie that I feel like used it as a movie within a movie scene, like the characters were watching it in a theater? I don't remember a thing about it or even if I'm making it up in my head