Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Honestly as long as the name isn't cringey and you can get a decent logo made out of it, I feel like branding is relatively unimportant? If you're affiliated to someone (GB, Ribiero, whatever) some people will know to look for (or look out for, depending on preference) that. Experienced grapplers moving to your city or switching from another gym will know exactly what they're looking for. Joe schmoe off the street is going to decide based on location, class hours, and price. The branding just needs to clearly say what's on offer, and not turn anyone off.

I was visiting my dad and didn't end up training at all, but I was planning to go further out of my way to avoid a place that had a bunch of cop and marine stuff posted everywhere in their gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

duckdealer posted:

New Wave Jiu Jitsu (your city name)

Then in small print below:
"Lawyers train free"

But why lawyers train free?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The DuckDealer Death Squad and our competitors are, I would like to stress, legally distinct

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

The DuckDealer Death Squad and our competitors are, I would like to stress, legally distinct

Exactly!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Would you spell it the original way, jujutsu, or the Brazilian way, jiujitsu?

Would end up being a history lesson you have to give to new students at some point.

I'd probably find the most common/reasonable spelling and use that. I've honestly never memorized how to spell it. I don't really care; there being different spellings isn't important and very few people are going to notice or care something like that.

I don't so much care about distancing a gym from the Brazilian part (though I don't think that's unreasonable either) so much as simplifying the name. In any case there isn't much that's Brazilian about it anymore, at least where I train. I sure wouldn't call it American Jujitsu though, that's much worse.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I sure wouldn't call it American Jujitsu though, that's much worse.

I still am wondering what techniques are purely American when Keenan uses "American Jiu Jitsu". I assume that this goes back to catch wrestling as there were bouts where the Americans would beat the Japanese in exhibition bouts.

For the Brazilians we know they deveolped new techniques later on, right around the time that BJJ was being introduced to the US (de la riva guard, etc).

edit: BTW, I didnt see anyone post this, but it is interesting to listen too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvnj_Y_eWwc

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 19, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jake Shields is the person I know of who has been riding the AJJ thing the longest and it's good life advice always to disagree with Jake Shields.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
nothing in grappling is new and trying to claim techniques is loser poo poo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
my original name (do not steal) thought is "Progress BJJ' or maybe instead of BJJ have grappling if you can get multiple styles taught. I just like the idea of having the mindset I try to keep in mind in the gym name

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Bad news Progress BJJ is a European gi brand.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
looks like they time traveled and stole the idea. sorry starkebn

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

nothing in grappling is new and trying to claim techniques is loser poo poo

But someone had to invent it. Like if we go back far enough, there was someone that invented the hammerlock.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

But someone had to invent it. Like if we go back far enough, there was someone that invented the hammerlock.

Theres probably some dusty rear end 14th century tritese by sir hammerlock of bumfuckshire who saw a move done by some pig farmer.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

To be fair, a move can be discovered and even popularized in multiple different times and places. De la riva guard was done at least a bit in Judo as far back as the 1920s or so.

No idea for sure, but I'd imagine it has been used since those times in the universities that do Kosen Judo. Then de de la riva popularized it in Brazil decades later. I would assume he knew nothing about Kosen Judo and did not get it from them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

It predates written records, you can be sure of that.

Trying to distinguish BJJ from "AJJ" or whatever based on technique is dumb. They're effectively the same, because the rules are effectively the same. Change the rules and you'll get different things happening, like the explosion of leg locks in no gi.

I think of these things as being cultural. Judo is a highly systemized art with a way of life attached to it. Take that, pass out through a filter of machismo and surfer culture and you get BJJ. BJJ became a core element of MMA, while the rest of it has been subsumed into American style consumer wellness in the same way yoga has.

The consumer part I don't like much, but I greatly prefer it to Brazilian machismo.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

The consumer part I don't like much, but I greatly prefer it to Brazilian machismo.

I agree.

I personally think the Brazilian culture around JJ has been awful for women. I studied under two old school guys and both of them basically were ambivalent to having women in the gym. They acted like they supported women on the mat, but then at times would not make the enviornment welcoming.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do you guys balance this and lifting? DOMS is making me gunshy about getting back on the mats

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

How do you guys balance this and lifting? DOMS is making me gunshy about getting back on the mats

Lifting Once a week, bjj twice a week, judo once a week.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Buschmaki posted:

Mike Isratel is a professional sports scientist and BJJ brown belt and he has very complicated "periodization" plans to avoid this problem, but basically don't lift to the point that you're crippled and don't train to the point that you're exhausted, and accept that it'll be a slight compromise.

Look for Renaissance Periodization on YouTube for some videos by him.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Bulletproof for BJJ on youtube talk about this a fair bit.

their advice in it's most basic form is lifing twice a week and bjj 3 times a week. Lifting after bjj training is better for avoiding injuries, you'll lift lighter because you're already worn out - but it should be about increasing your strength and mobility rather than putting up the biggest numbers.

Jack B Nimble posted:

accept that it'll be a slight compromise.

disclaimer: I don't do anything except bjj, but I watch/listen to people talking about S&C all the time. I've just never had the willpower to make myself do it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Alright tight, I had already watched Dr. Mike's vid so I think I have a good base. I guess I'll just take it easy with the lifting especially cause I'm in a deficit, so the only reason I suck on the mats will be because I suck and not because I suck and am also not recovering

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

my original name (do not steal) thought is "Progress BJJ' or maybe instead of BJJ have grappling if you can get multiple styles taught. I just like the idea of having the mindset I try to keep in mind in the gym name

Wombat Jiu Jitsu is what you should call it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
b-team are putting out a mini-doc of their trip to Japan earlier this year for Quintet out on Christmas Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeIEvcKNMB0

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mekchu posted:

Wombat Jiu Jitsu is what you should call it

I'm more like a koala, inactive for 23 hours a day

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

I'm more like a koala, inactive for 23 hours a day

getting high all day then moving around only once

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the craig jones 2024 calendar is something you should all know exists

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aggressive Hugs: Jiu Jitsu in 2023

The year has come and gone fairly quickly by my standards. There were some fairly interesting developments over the year, but also simultaneously it has felt that not all that much has changed within the realm of jiu jitsu both in terms of a sport to participate in and a sport to watch. The genuine excitement I had at the start of the year petered out sometime in late September and I’ve just not quite gotten that excitement or interest back. But 2023 still deserves a look back, as some notable events did happen in the past twelve months that are worth discussing.

ADCC on UFC Flo

ADCC 2022 was, in terms of the competition, a great event that had amazing matches and moments. There’s been a lot said about the poor video production quality that FloGrappling put on for what was supposedly the biggest event ever. That’s why when the sudden announcement that ADCC would be moving its events to UFC Fight Pass came in February it was genuinely exciting. UFC Fight Pass has been known to put on spectacular events even for small shows: The stream quality is good, it’s easy to track what fight is happening and when, and so on. That excitement lasted for about a month when it was just as suddenly decided that no, actually the ADCC event will stay on FloGrappling and, tough cookies, you will just have to deal with FloGrappling’s terrible to contend with website, streams, and on-air production.

It feels like ADCC took a tentative step forward, then two big steps back. There have been a good deal of ADCC Opens, which is great, but good luck trying to watch them. ADCC Trials have been happening, but trying to locate people I know who competed in them and accessing the videos has been a pain simply because Flo’s website is really cumbersome. I have been on record saying that ADCC is one of the best tournament competition rule sets to use, but I also have said that, simply put, FloGrappling’s history of crummy video production while charging $150 a year subscription to access the content, while hiding the monthly option only on FloGrappling’s site, is a big hindrance to not only willing audiences but also getting other people interested in watching the event.

The next ADCC World Championships will be once again held in Las Vegas, this time at the T-Mobile Arena, the largest venue in the competition’s history. But the amount of hoops that will need to be jumped through just to watch the event on Flo, and dealing with the technical issues they seem to face every single event, makes it unlikely that I’ll be watching it live.

Quintet is Back! (Sorta)

This year also saw probably the biggest announcement in the sport of jiu jitsu, in my opinion. Quintet, the team survival grappling competition, announced it was coming back after a 2 year absence. This was a good thing, as Quintet, as a format, was just far more exciting to watch than an individual tournament. Having a team vs team format was not only relatively unique for Quintet within the realm of jiu jitsu, but the stakes for the matches felt much more important. Winning meant you stayed on, but had to face a fresh opponent. A draw meant both teams lost a competitor, but that’s fine so long as your opponent had less members available to send out than you. A loss, well, that set your team back big.

Before Quintet 4 event started there was a bit of drama. As part of the initial lineup, John Danaher’s New Wave team were announced as competitors but then relatively not long after the announcement of teams, New Wave were suddenly out. There’s not been any confirmed reason, but the rumor mill stated that New Wave were playing hardball with provisions of their participation and when Quintet didn’t really accept those stipulations Danaher supposedly decided the whole team wouldn’t participate. That meant that Quintet needed a new team and they easily found one in the form of the B-Team Bulls (aka B-Team Jiu Jitsu). And it was an excellent choice.

The event overall was quite good. While there probably could’ve been more in the way of submissions, the fact a lot of draws occurred just made the stakes rise higher and higher. We did get to see some great scrambles, wild submission escapes, and probably one of the wildest toe hold submissions I think you can ever describe.

Quintet is, as I stated, my favorite format of competition in jiu jitsu. Having a team you can root for, even if the individuals on that events roster change, is something I think most people can get behind. A team is simply just a bit easier to cheer on than a single individual. Yes, jiu jitsu is an individual sport, but so are wrestling and judo and they too have team competitions, so why not jiu jitsu? Personally, I think that if jiu jitsu has any hope to be a bigger sport and have more opportunities for growth and a larger audience at a professional athlete level, going the route of Quintet, Polaris Squads, or even the more recent AIGA Champions League may be the way to go. There simply needs to be a league and structure that is consistent with regular events being held, though all of these seem to be non-existent in jiu jitsu as a whole.

Even if Quintet (the organization) doesn’t host further events, we’ve seen the likes of the UFC, Urijah Faber, Polaris, and others host similar team-oriented events that really should be more common. I genuinely hope they become much more present within the professional scene because personally I find this format far more exciting as a spectator to watch.

UFC Fight Pass Events

This year also saw the UFC start to enter their toes into the jiu jitsu event scene with their, and I can’t stress this enough, terribly named events: UFC Fight Pass Invitational. Just…that name. God, it is terrible.

Name aside, the events have been consistently good. In fact, they are what I think FloGrappling wishes the Who’s Number One events would be more like. The talent on display has been consistently impressive with some highlight moments, except the UFC hasn’t saddled the whole event series up to one individual competitor and have gotten an array of talented competitors to promote and get audiences interested in watching. On top of that the announcement that UFC Hall of Famer Georges St-Pierre would be grappling was also highly intriguing, though he had to pull out of the December 2023 card due to injury and was relegated to providing commentary.

Simply put, the UFC’s goal of supposedly hosting an event every other month is highly intriguing as it solves a major issue I see with grappling as a sport: There’s too much of a gap between events. Having more consistency is good, especially if you can use those events to provide a spotlight to more and more competitors filling out more interest in the sport. Flo’s strategy has been to hop onto the Gordon Ryan train; it’s smart and makes sense since he is a big draw. However, for longevity’s sake, it’s a terrible decision and once he is either no longer under contract with them or has to sit out of competition for most of a year (which he pretty much did this year), it means that gamble is more of a detriment.

I would say the UFC FPIs have been great, because they have been. We saw some big moments throughout the year and that can hopefully continue into 2024 when they add more events and more competitors from different divisions to their lineups.

The Year of Nicky Rod

Although the year started off with a loss to Felipe Pena, I would argue that in 2023, Nicky Rod cemented himself as the best grappler of the year. The loss to Pena was under the WNO rule set (which seemingly changes each match and I can’t recall the specifics of it off hand) via a decision. OK, that’s not great, but it’s not a terrible loss. Next at UFC FPI 4 he went on to beat Roberto Jimenez and Vagner Rocha to claim the tournament championship. Those two are pretty tough competitors in their own right, with Vagner being a recent medalist at 2022 ADCC World Championships & 2022 IBJJF No-Gi Worlds event, though he also is technically on a suspension from IBJJF for failing to appear for a drug test so there’s also that. Nicky Rod then went on to beat Dan Mannasoiu, a member of New Wave with Gordon Ryan and John Danaher, who is also considered quite talented.

With the win at UFC FPI 4, Nicky Rod then called out Gordon Ryan for a rematch of their UFC FPI 3 meeting stating the case that he not only couldn’t get submitted by Gordon but actually did more damage (breaking Gordon’s ankle with a toehold) than Gordon could. Gordon declined.

Later in September, Nicky Rod went to Japan to compete in Quintet 4 with the rest of the B-Team and outwrestled and pressured both Owen Livesy and PJ Barch in two matches, eliminating them and helping B-Team take the Quintet 4 trophy home.

Then to close out 2023 he stepped in to face Yuri Simoes at UFC FPI 5 and dominated the match. Given that Yuri is due to face Gordon Ryan at the 2024 ADCC World Championships in the Super Fight match, it’s another big win for Nicky Rod who again called out his former teammate but this time put an offer where both he and Gordon put $50,000 each in a winner takes-all $100,000 match. Gordon again declined it, and instead his other teammate Nicholas Meregali decided to now call out Nicky Rod for a match as well as Craig Jones (who Meregali lost to at the 2022 ADCC World Championships).

Nicky Rod has over the course of 2023 established himself not only as a must watch competitor, but someone who can definitely promote and sell a match when need be. And he’s doing it without egregious trash talk like we’ve seen be the common trope in MMA and boxing, just genuine confidence and a likable personality.

Some Comments About Jiu Jitsu the Sport

As I said, I was really excited at the end of 2022 for the sport of jiu jitsu. I thought this year would see a lot more growth and development for the professional sport aspect of things. To say I am disappointed at the end of this year with very little headway being made in that direction is an understatement.

Quintet coming back was probably my favorite thing in jiu jitsu this year. I can go on for hours about why I like it but I think you get the gist. One of the biggest problems I personally see with jiu jitsu as a professional sport is the total lack of organization or overarching body that the likes of judo, wrestling, kickboxing, and MMA seem to have plenty of. When you watch any of those sports, there’s a degree of…professionalism? Consistency? I’m not quite sure what word I’m looking for, but there’s a noticeable difference in how those sports’ leagues operate compared to jiu jitsu.

I think things like FloGrappling having so much sway and control over the professional scene is hugely problematic for a variety of reasons, one of them being they don’t seem to want to build a league whatsoever. Organizations like ONE and UFC coming in from MMA and providing a sort of more defined structure (in their respective ways) helps push things towards a more clearly defined and organized system that a professional sport can develop from. And, realistically, it should have already happened given how poorly Flo has performed, but no real competition has come in. Hopefully that changes.

What’s In Store for 2024?

Next year seems to be holding more of the same for jiu jitsu. A host of WNO events on FloGrappling that will be more or less the same as any other event (in that I can’t even name any previous events or what happened of note), UFC will be hosting more Fight Pass Invitationals, and the ADCC Trials will start to pick up a bit more.

Come August we’ll see a lot of focus on the 2024 ADCC World Championships in Las Vegas, which should be good. From the list of qualified athletes both through trials and likely to be invited, it’s going to be a really strong competition. Gordon Ryan should be returning, though he’s been in and out of competition throughout 2023 with only one match (that I can recall) this year alone. So if he does attend ADCC, what sort of condition he’ll be in is questionable.

As I stated above, one thing I really hope is more common in 2024 are the Quintet style events. I just love those more than any other form of jiu jitsu competition at the moment, and I want more. I think the winner-stays-on format works really well, I truly believe the team component just makes it easy for people to get behind a known group (ideally using their gym/organization name like B-Team did), and we can see some sort of attempt at forming a proper professional league or competitor to whatever the hell FloGrappling is doing. To be blunt, Flo’s stranglehold on the sport is a big issue for me and I think it needs to be challenged or forced to go away for good.

In terms of content I’ll be writing for Fight Island (the cool and good Goon newsletter you should totally subscribe to), I’ll be honest: I’m not sure. For my grappling content, I tried to do monthly write ups but by the time August came around I was feeling a bit burnt out in general and wanted a break. For 2024, my plan is to continue write ups, albeit shorter and more focused on events worth watching.

I may still put out a long think piece about education but that’ll be less of a focus month-to-month for the sake of my own sanity and to prevent being burnt and stressed out over providing these sort of write ups consistently.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 23, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This is the year I decided to get really into my favorite part of MMA, grappling, and even decided to start practicing bjj so I just wanna say thank you to Mekchu for declaring 2023 the Year of the Natty King: Nicky Rod.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Great post!

It feels to me like all of the major Jiu Jitsu organizations are determined to be big fish in a small pond and don't care about the long term at all.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Btw, B-Team just put out a 90 minute documentary on their trip to Japan for Quintet and its pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dx7eqQBz_g

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Btw, B-Team just put out a 90 minute documentary on their trip to Japan for Quintet and its pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dx7eqQBz_g

Good stuff and yes, Craig did carry the team.

Did Craig actually snap Boogies foot? You can hear an audible "snap" but then he gets up and walks around like everythings normal.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In the tournament footage he's limping almost immediately after

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think every time I see a boogie match hes getting his foot snapped.

I think it was that quintent that gordon ran through entire teams by himself, but boogie had a foot lock sunk on him and his teeth started chattering while he was teying to escape and it was one of the grossest things id ever seen.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

themongol posted:

hey any tips on finishing choi bars when they hug their own thigh or your thigh to defend, when you already managed to swing the leg over? I'm finding that with guys bigger than me they can sprawl and hug and pin me down, so I can't even do the ankle grab to flip them to a traditional top armbar finish. It's a bit like trying to finish a kimura from bottom half, except that I can't do the butterfly hook sweeps. Thanks!

Grace Baiting posted:

I don't have a ton of experience here overall but I think the keyword you may want to look for is "arm saddle", [...]
If they're sprawling and hugging your hips with their free hand (meaning that arm is near or across their own centerline!), then I think you may only need to extract your half-guard leg and stuff it in their armpit and then swing your top leg back for the figure four to make that side triangle. Inverted side triangles are hard to finish directly, and don't offer an immediate sweep either to a top side triangle (which would open up the babymode-easy kimura on the trapped arm, if it's actually reachable), but it still gets you enough control to let you first dig for the kimura grip, and second to open the side triangle to swing your leg back over them and post your foot on their near hip in order to break the hide-the-arm grip.

Hope this proves helpful!

So I remembered of some more side triangle stuff that explicitly includes sweeping someone in your bottom side triangle! And it's actually kinda simple even, I think especially if they're sprawling back away from you!!

This video is from Neil Melanson, who enters from butterfly guard with an underhook and collartie (rather than the shoulder crunch that Deggle and O'Flanagan use), but the entry mechanics are broadly similar to the Choi bar or general arm saddle stuff. Then Melanson proceeds with the bottom side triangle, including a couple different sweeps to other attacks rather than relying on finishing a bottom side triangle itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhzoBwpN8FE
Melanson's initial sweep stuff (a sort of funk roll and then spine lock) starts at 3m45s, and then he does a slightly different sweep ("tightwaist variation" prompted by the opponent driving into you) starting at 8m17s, and details a few other finishes from there.

My favorite here is that inside-arm kimura, which you can execute with such little effort because the side triangle completely kills their shoulder.

Let us/me know if any of this has been helpful! Especially as I haven't really provided much direct "finish the Choi bar" advice itself, and extra especially since I have gotten caught up on the side triangle stuff! (But that's only coz I love it! :sweatdrop:)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

Let us/me know if any of this has been helpful! Especially as I haven't really provided much direct "finish the Choi bar" advice itself, and extra especially since I have gotten caught up on the side triangle stuff! (But that's only coz I love it! :sweatdrop:)

I love the choi bar, so many different places to catch it from: butterfly, close guard, open guard (lachlan seems to like that one) and my favorite: from mount.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Did choi bar stuff today and it's super cool! Also a shaving cut on my head opened up and I got a bunch of blood on my white gi :(

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Did choi bar stuff today and it's super cool! Also a shaving cut on my head opened up and I got a bunch of blood on my white gi :(

White gis are for formal occasions only

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Count Roland posted:

White gis are for formal occasions only

I only wear my camo gi to the mats

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

I only wear my camo gi to the mats

You're a bad person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I landed three take downs on my BJJ professor last night and he didn't land any on me. I beat him to grips and attacked, and I don't think he really had time to do much.

I landed an uchi mata counter when our hips were very close. i think after I tried o uchi? Then, that same Soto maki komi off of a left handed post that I used in the tournament and that has become one of my go to throws, and then a double leg of all things because we slapped and bumped with less than ten seconds left and I just wanted to commit to something.

Notably, my double leg is absolute garbage and I never, ever do it outside of demonstrating it to a child or giving someone preparing for a tournament some opportunity to sprawl, but it worked last night because it was the furthest thing from his mind. He's a pro mma fighter, sprawling away from a takedown is one of his core competencies, but it surprised him enough to work.

I really think I'm turning a corner where I'm pulling the trigger on credible threats off of just a single grip, and I'm not really that worried about what he'll do to me; I could really feel a different momentum to the stand up last night, and the last couple weeks.

To be clear, once we were on the ground he slowly strangled me. In particular he seemed to be getting back control off both the throws so it's possible he was trying that more than competing with me in stand up.