Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Papercut posted:

Congrats to CMC on the MVP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Papercut posted:

Congrats to CMC on the MVP

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Purdy the first QB to go from MVP frontrunner to cut from team in one game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

get benched loser lmao

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Honestly, after watching him against my own team, I'm still not sold on Brock Purdy as MVP.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

4 picks lol. hey dumbass how about throwing zero picks next time, idiot

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Purdy feels like a young version of the Lions Goff. He looks totally dominant for long stretches when things are going well but then he'll just hit a brick wall and single handedly lose games

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

lets kick the logic of this stupid award up another notch

Purdy is even more clearly the MVP now, just look how bad they lost when he didn't play well, and CMC/Shanahan couldn't bail the team out

haters with their system QB claims totally owned

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The337th posted:

Purdy is even more clearly the MVP now, just look how bad they lost when he didn't play well, and CMC/Shanahan couldn't bail the team out

this is more compelling than it should be

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The337th posted:

counterpoint: the one touchdown the 9ers scored before garbage time and involved an actual drive down the field was entirely based on CMC running the ball or catching the ball in the backfield, and then Kyle decided he didn't want to do that anymore and Brock threw another 2 picks

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
The Ravens werent even in this game until Purdy threw 4 absolute dimes after that bum Lamar got sacked for a safety. His MVP campaign continues imo

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

The337th posted:

4 bad games, 0-4 record. The case is clear: the fate of this franchise rides on this young man's shoulders.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Alaois posted:

counterpoint: the one touchdown the 9ers scored before garbage time and involved an actual drive down the field was entirely based on CMC running the ball or catching the ball in the backfield, and then Kyle decided he didn't want to do that anymore and Brock threw another 2 picks

awful offense that can only score one TD in non-garbage time unless their MVP is carrying them, correct

fraud coach/RB being carried by Mr. Irrelevant

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Purdy feels like a young version of the Lions Goff. He looks totally dominant for long stretches when things are going well but then he'll just hit a brick wall and single handedly lose games

he's young kirk

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

these are all insanely fantastic outcomes for a Mr. Irrelevant

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AndrewP posted:

these are all insanely fantastic outcomes for a Mr. Irrelevant

yea its really no hate and the fact he's at that point now means maybe he'll get past that after another year or two

shanahan with a kirk or a goff is absolutely a super bowl contender

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Dutchy posted:

4 bad games, 0-4 record. The case is clear: the fate of this franchise rides on this young man's shoulders.

Trent Williams?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

AndrewP posted:

this is more compelling than it should be

Hell, I'm convinced

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Jordan Love is going to have a better season as a first year starter than Aaron Rodgers by nearly every metric and I think that's pretty cool because Jordan Love is good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MrLogan posted:

Trent Williams?

I love Trent Williams and I want the world to know it

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

The337th posted:

Zach Wilson has been terrible all year on a team destined for the Super Bowl. if he played good, they'd be the #1 seed now. crown him

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Jordan Love is going to have a better season as a first year starter than Aaron Rodgers by nearly every metric and I think that's pretty cool because Jordan Love is good.

https://twitter.com/TylerDBrooke/status/1739664564415868974

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

13 TDs and only one INT in the past six weeks with the youngest group of skill position players in the league. Pretty pretty good.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Earlier this season everyone was saying how lovely Love was, the NFL is weird.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Love had a starting grade of “unknown” and then public opinion has rollercoastered between good and bad. Where will consensus be at the end of the season? Who can say?

One thing we all agree on; Love is better than Bryce Youngz

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Black Sunshine posted:

He had a rough streak of games, but the entire offense was also out of sync and banged up as hell. The youth of the team led to lots of mistakes like receivers running wrong routes, blown blocking assignments, tons of pre-snap penalties, etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Black Sunshine posted:

He had a midseason turnaround where most of his receivers began clicking properly within the offense and his accuracy improved massively.

Jordan Love, weeks 1 through 10 (Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, Vegas, Denver, Minnesota, LA Rams, Pittsburgh):
176/300, 58.67% accuracy, 2009 yards, 14 TDs 10 ints, 19 sacks, 182 rushing yards 2 TDs

Jordan Love, weeks 11 through 16 (LA Chargers, Detroit, Kansas City, NY Giants, Tampa Bay, Carolina):
145/214, 67.76% accuracy, 1578 yards, 13 TDs 1 int, 10 sacks, 64 rushing yards 1 TD

What's really exciting for me is that even with that huge statistical jump in accuracy there's still so much room for improvement since a lot of his recent missed throws are only just slightly off.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Love has seven games with multiple passing TDs and no picks, which is the most in the league.

He's good.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The337th posted:

awful offense that can only score one TD in non-garbage time unless their MVP is carrying them, correct

fraud coach/RB being carried by Mr. Irrelevant

Finally y'all get it :hmmyes:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also there's stuff like this where you can tangibly see him improve on similar throws week-by-week:

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1736592294751482141

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Dork stats for weeks 9 - 16 for people who take stock in the dork stats

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Black Sunshine posted:

People love to jump to conclusions. As fans are by their nature reactionary.

Like if Bryce does use him stunting on the Packers D as a turning point no one will remember how much people poo poo on him this year

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

epic bacon posted:

Zach Wilson has been terrible all year on a team destined for the Super Bowl. if he played good, they'd be the #1 seed now. crown him

Now we're cooking

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Hot Diggity! posted:

Dork stats for weeks 9 - 16 for people who take stock in the dork stats

If I'm reading this right, this shows that Justin Fields grades out as almost a perfectly average QB at the end of the day?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

If I'm reading this right, this shows that Justin Fields grades out as almost a perfectly average QB at the end of the day?

For weeks 9 -16 in EPA he's not really adding or taking away anything from the offense and he's completing the passes you'd expect a starting QB to make and not much more. So less "average QB" and more he's just kinda...there. EPA has a tendency to overvalue splash plays which is why the additional comparison with CPOE is beneficial.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 26, 2023

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

EPA is a team offense stat. CPOE is more tied to QB skill but it’s still subjective.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Tebow proved that JWG is the only stat that matters

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think my biggest problem with advanced stats is they're just all weighted formulas that are no poo poo things. Like of course if you get a lot of yards on a play you're going to have a higher EPA, which could easily just be measured by looking at the yards. It still says nothing about how those yards were gained.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What I like is that they basically sum up all the stats, which are already fairly context-free anyway, into one number to look at. I can look at yards, TDs, attempts, picks, and sacks, or I can just look at ANY/A. Helps for comparing multiple players at once, or creating rough "tiers".

Anything more detailed requires looking at actual film and if you're doing that then the box scores don't matter anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jordan Love opened well and then struggled a little bit like 3 weeks in, I'm going to chalk this up to, defenses finding their feet and more film, but he's come out the other side and looked fantastic. Gotta give credit where it's due, especially after the rumours of him not having much between the ears were cropping up in the offseason.