Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anno posted:

I think Wrath (and now Rogue Trader) have very solid writing. I don’t think they do anything super revelatory or new to the medium or anything but if you’re just looking for very well executed genre fiction you’re in a good place.

In particular I think they good do character writing and really understand the thing that makes those stories tick, whether it’s whooping’ up on demons or WH40K.

Wrath has the only good Lawful Evil character ever written and he's a goddamn Gnome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's incredibly dumb and I can only imagine they left it out because they didn't want to deal with supporting it

I think it’s because EA is super shy about loot boxes after the Battlefront 2 thing, and loot boxes are integral to the progression of ME3MP.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s because EA is super shy about loot boxes after the Battlefront 2 thing, and loot boxes are integral to the progression of ME3MP.
Didn't it run on points you earned playing the game, but it just happened to be you could also dirtectly use money to boxes (or was it points)?
Gawd, just have the game give you extra points or a handful of lootboxes after each match. Everyone would of appreciated the lessened grind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croccers posted:

Didn't it run on points you earned playing the game, but it just happened to be you could also dirtectly use money to boxes (or was it points)?
Gawd, just have the game give you extra points or a handful of lootboxes after each match. Everyone would of appreciated the lessened grind.

Yes- I think I dropped like 20 bucks on loot boxes over the years but there were a ton of freebies.

I don’t think EA has done paid or free loot boxes since battlefront 2 though because of paranoia about PR and I can kind of see why. I’ve seen people on this site complain about Squadrons and Jedi Fallen order having their progression gimped to make people spend money on microtransactions when neither game had those. EA’s brand got absolutely burnt on MTX and now they’re very, very gunshy about it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If lootboxes were the actual barrier to multiplayer returning to ME3 then EA could have simply switched off the "pay real money" button, unfortunately this one is another case of the lazy devs!!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
for some reason i cant see friends making game purchases in my friend's activity page. it is selected under settings but still not showing. anyone else experience this?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

err posted:

for some reason i cant see friends making game purchases in my friend's activity page. it is selected under settings but still not showing. anyone else experience this?

I can't see my own or anyone else's purchases on my activity page, either. If I had to guess, maybe they temporarily disabled this feature to keep people's feeds from getting absolutely flooded due to the winter sale.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Orv posted:

The greatest crime of Andromeda is that all of that mediocrity is wrapped around a wonderfully tight set of combat design. ME3 is similar but has lots of other solid bits to back it up.

It has been a while so I cant remember 100% but I remember being annoyed at andromeda's combat because you only had like 3 hotkeys and you couldnt do the in combat pause menu to select another ability, which means combo-ing biotic powers sucked compared to ME3.

That being said I didn't hate Andromeda, it was okay but never hit the highs the original series did.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wrath has the only good Lawful Evil character ever written and he's a goddamn Gnome.

I liked the angry bald man in NWN2

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The multiplayer was the best thing about Mass Effect 3. The story outside of Tuchanka was really garbage - they really didn't know how to finish their story so it felt like playing a game that was extremely disconnected from the first two. It's extremely mediocre. Best practices is to treat it as a multiplayer game that has a single player campaign bolted on.

Anyone play Remnant 2? I asked this in the game's topic but that seems to be dead outside one or two people posting rarely and I could use some beginner tips. I played and enjoyed the last game well enough but I don't remember it being as this hard. You can really get stunlocked by melee and it feels a lot more punishing than it should - I'm struggling with the very first area. I'm playing on the lowest difficulty setting and it's just beating me pretty bad, to the point where I'm not really having fun. Melee feels awfully clunky too, like the recovery time before you can move is just a half a second too long compared to other games that use animation priority. Given the speed and narrowness of the arenas you usually fight in, at least in this first area, having a dodge roll feels like the wrong design choice, instead there should have been a sidestep dodge, like Bloodborne or Witcher 3.

I'm having a very hard time adjusting to the game. Feels very overtuned the first major area for the game. I don't remember struggling this much with the first game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I absolutely got pasted in the first dungeon too, the game is definitely harder than the first

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Huge thanks to Kragger for throwing Resident Evil 4 my way, which I played for an hour and a half last night. Really solid so far with no shortage of tense moments. Unfortunately, my youngest woke up at 12:30 AM and tapped my shoulder to ask for water as I was frantically trying to shoot my way out of a corner in the first village. Scared the absolute piss out of me. 10/10 would fear yell in a child's face again.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 MP ruled and it is a literal CRIME that they did not repackage that with the so-called "Legendary Edition," which nowadays stands for "less game than the one you originally bought" !!

On the plus side the legendary edition is $6 on sale and includes a bunch of the DLC that you could previously only buy using "bioware points" or whatever, so that is good. Also it now has controller support on the PC.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I absolutely got pasted in the first dungeon too, the game is definitely harder than the first

Does it follow the first game and randomize the world it generates per campaign? The area I got was some castle place with these skinny enemies with ribbon-like rainbow wings that use spears and bows. I remember the first game having this issue too, where some starting areas were a lot harder than others. It's such a dumb unforced error. I get that you want every campaign to feel different but it makes the onboarding process terrible.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

My only sale purchases so far are Persona 5 Royal and the DLC to Mutant: Year Zero. The full Humble Choice for January should drop just before most of the sales are done, so I can evaluate whether I want to go with that for Midnight Suns (if I give the slightest crap about the rest of the bundle, basically) or just go get it directly since paying for the complete edition will be cheaper than Choice plus buying DLC later.

But I'm playing Quantum Break because it's supposed to be relatively quick compared to the stuff I normally like (see: aforementioned purchases) and will also free up the nearly 70 GB it's been squatting on for a while waiting for me to be "in the mood."

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Ragequit posted:

Unfortunately, my youngest woke up at 12:30 AM and tapped my shoulder to ask for water as I was frantically trying to shoot my way out of a corner in the first village. Scared the absolute piss out of me. 10/10 would fear yell in a child's face again.

Perfect.

I hope you enjoy it! I haven't played through it since the full release but am looking forward to it. It starts off kind of slow (or at least it did in early access) and I wasn't sure if it would amount to much, but it ended up being pretty fun, with a lot of push to explore new areas and unlock new secrets...

Eason the Fifth posted:

Awesome, thanks for the writeup. I'm going through Blood West right now, which has a similar old-school vibe and influence (Blood, obviously, but also Thief and the scavenging vibe of early New Vegas) but I'll definitely grab Gloomwood once it hits 1.0.

You are quite welcome--I'm looking forward to diving back in today. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1907590/Psycho_Patrol_R/

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My friend gave me his Steam Deck for Xmas and it's amazing. How do I turn off the FPS graph that shows up in the upper left side of the screen? It turned on during a game of Soulstone Survivors and it's distracting me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle! posted:

My friend gave me his Steam Deck for Xmas and it's amazing. How do I turn off the FPS graph that shows up in the upper left side of the screen? It turned on during a game of Soulstone Survivors and it's distracting me.

Welcome to the club friend!

Here’s the dedicated deck thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

As for your problem it’s the lower right oval button and scroll to the performance section and turn the overlay from 1 to 0.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Infinity Gaia posted:

:sickos:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

What are some good 2 player local multiplayer games? I’m looking for some stuff for my girlfriend and I to play together that’s on sale. She’s not much of a gamer so I’m looking for casual/easy to pick up and play/something board game-ish.

It Takes Two

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flair posted:

It Takes Two

Absolutely this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Some of the stuff in It Takes Two does require a certain amount of controller skills though. They might get frustrated at certain parts. So it may depend on just how casual a gamer your gf is

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Portal 2 have split-screen? That might be a really good first game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah my gf is not used to controllers and she had some trouble during the first couple hours.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What are some good 2 player local multiplayer games? I’m looking for some stuff for my girlfriend and I to play together that’s on sale. She’s not much of a gamer so I’m looking for casual/easy to pick up and play/something board game-ish.

lovers in a dangerous spacetime is pretty cool and it's on sale for $7.50

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Way Out is also extremely good but I'm on the fence whether or not I would risk my relationship playing that game with my SO.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Does Portal 2 have split-screen? That might be a really good first game.

it did on the 360 when I originally played it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe try Untitled Goose Game or one of the lego games? Spiritfarer could also work?

I haven't played it but Knights and Bikes has good reviews https://store.steampowered.com/app/592480/Knights_And_Bikes/

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 26, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jack Trades posted:

A Way Out is also extremely good but I'm on the fence whether or not I would risk my relationship playing that game with my SO.

I had a great time playing through this with a buddy who is not very into videogames. It's not too challenging and the story moves at a brisk enough pace that we got through it in a couple days of a couple hours each.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not saying A Way Out falls apart if the two people playing are wildly different skill levels but the ending doesn’t quite work as well.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I picked up Monster Hunter World, having never played more than an hour of a monster hunter game. How does the DLC integrate with the base game? Is the content playable concurrent with base game, or is it all endgame stuff? Trying to decide if I should grab it too, when I'm not sure if I'll beat the base game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The DLC entirely takes place after the main game and provides a lot of higher-level content. It also gives you an OP armor set right from the start that lets you speed through the base game, which you probably don't want to use if you're enjoying the base game. It's very very good DLC but don't worry about it unless you're sure you're going to play through the base game and keep going, or if you want an easy-mode armor set that makes you virtually invincible through base-game content.

e: Actually I guess it adds the Clutch Claw stuff to base game content which is a contentious mechanic that lets you 'break' parts of a monster to temporarily deal extra damage when hitting them there. Some people don't like it because it increases your damage so much that they feel it becomes necessary to engage with the mechanic. I like it personally but I still wouldn't bother with the DLC unless you're planning on playing the DLC content after the base game!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 26, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I picked up Monster Hunter World, having never played more than an hour of a monster hunter game. How does the DLC integrate with the base game? Is the content playable concurrent with base game, or is it all endgame stuff? Trying to decide if I should grab it too, when I'm not sure if I'll beat the base game.

Get the expansion later. It goes on sale often.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

:cheers: exactly what I needed to know. Excited to hunt some monsters tonight

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

The clutch claw mechanic integrates from the beginning, as do some new moves for weapons. The new maps/monsters come after the main plot of the first game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Haven’t seen it mentioned yet so I wanted to also recommend Pode as a great low-stress co-op game. It’s a puzzle game that’s not too hard and also super cute.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

I liked the angry bald man in NWN2

Yeah, he was great. A great example of an unquestionably evil man, who still genuinely wants to save the world and actively works towards that goal, despite his plans and actions being pretty darn questionably to anyone who does not share his alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's the reason for these Persona games being overwhelmingly positive?

I've tried to read a few reviews of them to get a feel for what they're about and the best I can take away is that they're a super Anime JRPG with visual novel stuff in them.

Do they have decent stories, gameplay etc? If I liked playing stuff like Final Fantasy would I like them?