Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Any ATX replacement should make it so you mount the GPU to the case and plug power into it, and then the GPU has the CPU socket, DIMM slots, chipset etc that plugs into it.

Make the mobo a backplane, with a beefy slot connector for the CPU on its own board with the RAM, and another beefy slot for the GPU that passes through all the power. Additional slots for storage and PCIe devices go on the backplane. Power connects to that, one power cable only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just make mobos OAM capable!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

FuturePastNow posted:

Make the mobo a backplane, with a beefy slot connector for the CPU on its own board with the RAM, and another beefy slot for the GPU that passes through all the power. Additional slots for storage and PCIe devices go on the backplane. Power connects to that, one power cable only.

I, too, wish the Intel NUC "Compute Element" standard got adopted

CPU, RAM DIMMs, and M.2 access on something comparable to a modern GPU in form factor - what could have been :sigh:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salt Fish posted:

Any ATX replacement should make it so you mount the GPU to the case and plug power into it, and then the GPU has the CPU socket, DIMM slots, chipset etc that plugs into it.

The case should just be live at all times with whatever current and the mobo should just deal. Or run everything on Qi wireless power.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

CPU, RAM DIMMs, and M.2 access on something comparable to a modern GPU in form factor - what could have been :sigh:

But how do I attach a half-meter tall cooler tower onto that thing?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

it failed because they kept putting cringe gamer skulls on them

should have gone with waifus

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Arrath posted:

But how do I attach a half-meter tall cooler tower onto that thing?

You don't, you simply throw the tower into the ocean with your car batteries

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

repiv posted:

I use one at work and it's a real hoot to see that skull on rebooting for the 3rd time while I'm debugging a Linux kernel boot issue.

It is a pretty poo poo direction to have gone in. My wife would have actually wanted that form factor too. It looks like Intel is continuing the push the standard and some of the components, but they just won't be doing the full assembly any more. Maybe. Who knows. We'll see after everybody comes back from vacation if they turn back on the machine that punches themselves in the face.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

should have gone with waifus
it's frankly kind of astounding how the gpu companies haven't caught onto doing marketing collabs with anime studios or vtuber agencies they could jack those prices up a hundred or two hundred ez

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Shipon posted:

it's frankly kind of astounding how the gpu companies haven't caught onto doing marketing collabs with anime studios or vtuber agencies they could jack those prices up a hundred or two hundred ez

Yeston does waifu cards, and in the sea of gamer black & red designs they’re a breath of fresh air… until you inhale too much of the perfume they put on the cards and hack up a lung.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think Asus also have the Evangelion and Gundam licenses and have done GPUs with that branding. Here's the 4090 EVA-2 for example. I think they generally do entire parts sets with matching branding so you could build an entire EVA-02 PC. This card is currently around £2200, so a solid £600 jump from a normal 4090.

Hyte also have a deal with Hololive to do cases with their branding and have done a bunch, like this Amelia Watson version of the Y40. This is $280, $160 more than the regular Y40 and I think every one of these versions they've done has sold out its first production run immediately.

And there was the ASRock SONIC motherboard as well, if companies can slap a brand on something they're already making they absolutely will.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 25, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They also had to recall some motherboards because they misspelled Evangelion

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

njsykora posted:

And there was the ASRock SONIC motherboard as well, if companies can slap a brand on something they're already making they absolutely will.

Two Asrock Sonic motherboards (different form factors and chipsets). I got my partner one for her birthday and she loves it.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z790%20PG%20SONIC/index.html

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B760M%20PG%20SONIC%20WiFi/Specification.asp

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

njsykora posted:

I think Asus also have the Evangelion and Gundam licenses and have done GPUs with that branding. Here's the 4090 EVA-2 for example. I think they generally do entire parts sets with matching branding so you could build an entire EVA-02 PC. This card is currently around £2200, so a solid £600 jump from a normal 4090.

This would admittedly be more impressive if they didn't just like, reuse the same cooler design across every card. This is just a Strix card with some stuff printed on it, it would be way cheaper to design, print, and apply your own vinyl sticker.

At least Yeston goes novel with the designs so you feel like you're getting something different

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

change my name posted:

This would admittedly be more impressive if they didn't just like, reuse the same cooler design across every card. This is just a Strix card with some stuff printed on it, it would be way cheaper to design, print, and apply your own vinyl sticker.

Not to mention ASUS then charges like a $600 premium for the stuff they printed on it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nothing like discussing anime graphic cards with my bros on Christmas.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kibner posted:

Two Asrock Sonic motherboards (different form factors and chipsets). I got my partner one for her birthday and she loves it.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z790%20PG%20SONIC/index.html

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B760M%20PG%20SONIC%20WiFi/Specification.asp

I’d probably be all over this if I wasn’t so dedicated to my Steampunk build featuring an AsRock Z690 Taichi that has an actual rotating gear: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z690%20Taichi/

But also:

Lockback posted:

Nothing like discussing anime graphic cards with my bros on Christmas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canned Sunshine posted:

I’d probably be all over this if I wasn’t so dedicated to my Steampunk build featuring an AsRock Z690 Taichi that has an actual rotating gear: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z690%20Taichi/

How does that page not have a video of the gear in motion?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

How does that page not have a video of the gear in motion?

It does, a little down from the top, below the "Tailor made motherboards" tagline. It's pretty discrete though and not nearly as well advertised as it should be.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Canned Sunshine posted:

Holy poo poo I need this.

Also the ddr5 6400 is pretty cool.

Do they have a 790 version with the gear?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canned Sunshine posted:

It does, a little down from the top, below the "Tailor made motherboards" tagline. It's pretty discrete though and not nearly as well advertised as it should be.

Oh yeah, there it is. I was hoping for a smooth constant rotation, or maybe varying in speed with CPU frequency, but I’m sure ASRock has their reasons.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

hark posted:

Holy poo poo I need this.

Also the ddr5 6400 is pretty cool.

Do they have a 790 version with the gear?

The Z90 has fixed decorative gears I think; it was only the Z590 and Z690 that had the rotating gear, but you can use 12th, 13th, and 14th Gen with the Z690 FWIW, and there's been decent sales on it in the recent past.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, there it is. I was hoping for a smooth constant rotation, or maybe varying in speed with CPU frequency, but I’m sure ASRock has their reasons.

Yeah, I think it can be set so it rotates constantly, or every so many minutes, etc., but I do wish it had a smooth option. The varying with CPU speed would be neat!

I currently have it set so it doesn't rotate too frequently just so that I don't burn out whatever motor is driving it too soon.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Do the newer GPU power cables come with the cards in box or is it something you have to buy separately? Or is it case by case dependant? The 12VHPWR ones. Because my PSU did not come with one, I don't know if any do.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Do the newer GPU power cables come with the cards in box or is it something you have to buy separately? Or is it case by case dependant? The 12VHPWR ones. Because my PSU did not come with one, I don't know if any do.

The 12VHPWR cards come with adapters to use with regular 8-pin power cables. Some PSUs come with the 12VHPWR cable but for most you'll have to order separately ala https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-600W-12VHPWR-Cable/dp/B0BLY1B362

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

take me you ANIMAL posted:

My PNY came with an adapter from four 8-pin PCIE to a 12VHPWR.

I was thinking of picking up one of those CableMods cables for my PSU, since having a bunch of cables going into an adapter is quite a bit of clutter. I gave up when I couldn't get a set that would work for me.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Check with your PSU manufacturer, and double check which model you have. Many of them offer custom cables for that board that make routing a lot easier than the stock adapter. I did that with my Corsair 1200W and it's 2 8 pin PCI-E (the spec only specifies a max 150W per cable at the GPU side, PSU companies are free to do more at the PSU side if they have the right wire gauge and quality) at the PSU side to the 12pin adapter.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shipon posted:

Check with your PSU manufacturer, and double check which model you have. Many of them offer custom cables for that board that make routing a lot easier than the stock adapter. I did that with my Corsair 1200W and it's 2 8 pin PCI-E (the spec only specifies a max 150W per cable at the GPU side, PSU companies are free to do more at the PSU side if they have the right wire gauge and quality) at the PSU side to the 12pin adapter.

EVGA :smith:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
https://www.thermaltake.com/sleeved-pcie-gen-5-splitter-cable.html

So something like this for my gf1 gold.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1739613380367843711

I've always been fascinated by the concept of a fully passive cooling (gaming) build although current coolers are quiet enough that they're not practical

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

I've always been fascinated by the concept of a fully passive cooling (gaming) build although current coolers are quiet enough that they're not practical

It's only going to get harder to go fully passive now that even SSDs need airflow, let alone RAM, the PSU, anything else that might get warm. Aren't AMD chipsets pretty drat warm now too?

I'm more interested in a form factor that lets air blow in a single straight line over CPU, GPU, and the rest, ideally with big ol fans moving slowly.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twerk from Home posted:

It's only going to get harder to go fully passive now that even SSDs need airflow, let alone RAM, the PSU, anything else that might get warm. Aren't AMD chipsets pretty drat warm now too?

I'm more interested in a form factor that lets air blow in a single straight line over CPU, GPU, and the rest, ideally with big ol fans moving slowly.

Ahh, the Xbox Series X design.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kibner posted:

Ahh, the Xbox Series X design.

Yes, exactly that. It's compact, has incredible thermals, great power efficiency, why can't I do that with a 7950X and 4070 and fan spinning moderately faster?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Just slap on some really big fans and it can take off like a camera drone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, exactly that. It's compact, has incredible thermals, great power efficiency, why can't I do that with a 7950X and 4070 and fan spinning moderately faster?

Because then GPUs can’t be the size of a semi-truck.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

Because then GPUs can’t be the size of a semi-truck.

Hey, I look forward to parking my future RTX 9090 next to my future RV on the side of the house, dwarfing the Generac being used to power the card.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/dachsjaeger/status/1739557324975378456?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Aren't AMD chipsets pretty drat warm now too?

Some were required by AMD to have a fan but the 570S and 670 (and lower end models) don't and don't get to hot either.

They tend to run around 55-65C but have a pretty high max temp so just having a small cheap aluminum HSF with passive airflow is fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Some were required by AMD to have a fan but the 570S and 670 (and lower end models) don't and don't get to hot either.

They tend to run around 55-65C but have a pretty high max temp so just having a small cheap aluminum HSF with passive airflow is fine.

That's the question with these fully passive builds: does "passive airflow" mean case fans or PSU fan at least, or just convection?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

for the one i shared, PSU and MB are fanless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the more fans you get rid of the more you start to notice the coil whine everything is still making

the pro move is to keep the fans but put the system in a different room