Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I.. don't see how, please explain. (Is being serious)

Fox Mulder posted:

It's true Scully, I've lost the plot. I can't find the hidden connections between things anymore. The world has become too crazy for even my conspiratorial powers.

Dr They posted:

They don't care if the truth gets out. Because the public no longer knows what is meant by the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
there used to be a time where you could kinda connect the dots like the Iran-Contra affair (sell arms to Iran to get dark money to arm and train Contras) now all that wetwork isn't done by the CIA directly, its all done by these cutouts and consultancies and there's very few direct links between this and that, in a way the Iran-Contra affair was the prototype for the parapolitical relationships underpinning modern statecraft, it just became more complex with arms trades here to buy drugs to sell there, to pay off informants elsewhere and seize who knows what to further sell on to train paramilitary groups to overthrow such and such group or nation. the more complex these networks become the more difficult it becomes to put together a red yarn chart

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
but if you could red yarn chart, everyone knows it would still all lead back to Nixon.

drat spooks have been taking orders from him via Ouija board for drat near 30 years now.

Nixon's ghost has a lot to answer for. Congressional investigation into his actions when congress! :colbert:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Twin Peaks is more revolutionary I think, but I first saw TP and the first 5 seasons of X-files back-to-back a few years ago and had to supress an incredible urge to set up a pirate radio signal in the middle of a forest.

Lotta people sleeping on E.R. in that discussion, watched most of S1 with family over thanksgiving and I was shocked at much serial plot was going on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Who else had the Big Book of Conspiracies?

https://www.amazon.ca/Big-Book-Conspiracies-Doug-Moench/dp/1563891867

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If the title sequence wasn't so goddamn iconic it would be dumb as hell. Just random weird stuff like red finger bones, the protagonists entering a room, oozing balls and a stretchy face. Government denies knowledge.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Icochet posted:

If the title sequence wasn't so goddamn iconic it would be dumb as hell. Just random weird stuff like red finger bones, the protagonists entering a room, oozing balls and a stretchy face. Government denies knowledge.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you asked the government about the oozing balls they'd be like 'heck if i know' and it wouldnt be a conspiracy

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
The oozing balls are germinating seeds and the "red finger bones" are kirlian photography.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Icochet posted:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Icochet posted:

I once came up with lyrics for it. Bet you can see it in your head!

A wobbly UFO
A spinning plasma globe
Two germinating seeds
And David Duchovny
With Gillian Anderson
And a white falling man
An eye
[DUN]

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Small Strange Bird posted:

I once came up with lyrics for it. Bet you can see it in your head!

A wobbly UFO
A spinning plasma globe
Two germinating seeds
And David Duchovny
With Gillian Anderson
And a white falling man
An eye
[DUN]

Now I miss singing "Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage" with the GoT credits

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Small Strange Bird posted:

Mulder and Dr. They say stuff

And what probably drives Mulder nuts the most is how mundane and banal the 'craziness' is. No elaborate games of mass manipulation, trying to steer the human species down this path or that one, no hidden lizard people masterminds or aliens planting thoughts through lightning strikes. Just legions of con men and chronic mental masturbators exploited by the former so they can keep stroking their egos.

Which is the real world, but that wasn't the X-Files world. Hell that's almost a massive X-file in and of itself: our dull, gray, and just as horrific reality overlaid itself over theirs...which is kind of commented on in the plot of that episode as well.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

Lotta people sleeping on E.R. in that discussion, watched most of S1 with family over thanksgiving and I was shocked at much serial plot was going on.

ER was an amazing show that ran at least 5 seasons too long

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just rewatched The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat for the first time since it aired, and what an all-time classic. Even better this time around.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

redshirt posted:

LOL Comet went and changed their lineup out of nowhere, midweek. I don't know what it is anymore except Buffy got knocked down and Grimm got elevated WTF??

They aired Event Horizon and Capricorn One yesterday, and had a marathon of Friday the 13th: The Series earlier today. Apparently tonight they're airing Chopping Mall and Piranha, but right now they're playing... wait for it... The X-Files.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Laterite posted:

Just rewatched The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat for the first time since it aired, and what an all-time classic. Even better this time around.

There were a small handful of episodes worth watching in the revival and it was easily the best

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Laterite posted:

ER was an amazing show that ran at least 5 seasons too long

I always do a re-watch and stop right as Dr Greene....well....you know. The Dr. Romano ending was just too much.

It's another good pre cell/internet kind of show. Now that it's in HD you can see that in the early seasons they have drawings taped to the CRT monitors.

Nurse "Bob" did not get enough screen time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Good time to explore all the other alphabet-files. Let's follow the agents covering the I-files investigating unexplainable or supernatural insurance claims.

American Dad already did this backdoor pilot

https://youtu.be/XwokSzNqPIY

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

They aired Event Horizon and Capricorn One yesterday, and had a marathon of Friday the 13th: The Series earlier today. Apparently tonight they're airing Chopping Mall and Piranha, but right now they're playing... wait for it... The X-Files.

God I love them. They have weekend Godzilla marathons often enough.

It reminds me of the old Saturday morning "Creature Double Features" on Boston Channel 56.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Bonzo posted:

Reboot with Rhea Shehorn and Bob Odenkirk as Mulder and Scully

I think Rhea would make a weird Mulder but you do you.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Warehouse 13 is another great X-Files-ish kind of show. Monster of the week , underlying conspiracy, skeptic vs. believer

Have we talked about Millennium yet or have I had too much egg nog?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

Warehouse 13 is another great X-Files-ish kind of show. Monster of the week , underlying conspiracy, skeptic vs. believer

:hmmyes: I really liked Warehouse 13, although IIRC the ending was bad

Eureka was not good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Where does Supernatural fit on this prism?

I've only ever been able to watch parts of episodes here and there over years, so I have an idea, but not really.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Where does Supernatural fit on this prism?

yaoi buffy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BasicLich posted:

yaoi buffy

No one from the Buffy gang ever presented themselves as official. Weren't them Dean boys always pretending to be some kind of Fed or whatnot?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

No one from the Buffy gang ever presented themselves as official. Weren't them Dean boys always pretending to be some kind of Fed or whatnot?

Yep. I'd say the main difference is that that their were plenty of reoccurring demons and angels and what not who were actual characters and the dean brothers wern't trying to expose some thruth they were just trying to kill evil stuff cos that what they do. This makes the Atmosphere of the shows quite different as well. Supernature was more fantasy/action/comedy where as x-files was more horror/mystery. In general different episodes obviously could lean more towards some aspect or another.

They did do a fair bit of investigating though, so like there is a tiny bit of connection there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Yep. I'd say the main difference is that that their were plenty of reoccurring demons and angels and what not who were actual characters and the dean brothers wern't trying to expose some thruth they were just trying to kill evil stuff cos that what they do. This makes the Atmosphere of the shows quite different as well. Supernature was more fantasy/action/comedy where as x-files was more horror/mystery. In general different episodes obviously could lean more towards some aspect or another.

They did do a fair bit of investigating though, so like there is a tiny bit of connection there.

Well said. Would you also describe it as a science vibe v overt supernatural vibe?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For some reason I'm thinking of that short-lived Dracula series that was on NBC about a decade ago.

Dracula trying to take down a secret society that is trying to control the world. It's like an X-Files MOTW plotline is fighting an X-Files Mythology plotline.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Well said. Would you also describe it as a science vibe v overt supernatural vibe?

yeah, while supernatural stuff happens in the x-files it is pretty much all shown to have at least hints of scientific backing. Supernaturals just like science? lol what, the devil, god are just a thing and fantasy/magic crap just exists all of the joint.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Evil is another great show. It's like X-Files but instead of the FBI it's the Vatican.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 26, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

yeah, while supernatural stuff happens in the x-files it is pretty much all shown to have at least hints of scientific backing. Supernaturals just like science? lol what, the devil, god are just a thing and fantasy/magic crap just exists all of the joint.

My overall take of Supernatural was pretty close, you know, IMO. I just love the overlay of "Fake FBI" dealing with angles and demons. Like an inverted X-Files maybe? lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haha, yeah. It's great how little effort they put into their cover as well. Pretty sure it's meant to be a running joke how bad they are at pretending to be federal agents and how much no one ever cares or really questions them on it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Please explain to me the scientific nature of "The Whammy"

- Scully

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
X-Files was apparently fairly popular in Japan in its heyday.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19960322&slug=2320199

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

JediTalentAgent posted:

Huh interesting. I remember Twin Peaks was big enough there Dale Cooper did coffee ads.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 27, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wow, Murphy Brown popular in Japan. Huh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

The unit 731 episode was edited down to just 5 minutes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The unit 731 episode was edited down to just 5 minutes

lol just the MARK SNOW music intro, and the roll out credits with the "I made this!" tag, in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Modern Japanese anime X-Files remake is full of mythology episodes or monster girl of the week episodes.

The best episode is the one where Mulder and Scully investigate a driverless truck that is killing people at random. Mulder suspects it's a tool sent by the gods to collect the souls of humans destined to become the heroes to defeat the demon king of alternate realities, and it will keep killing people to do this. Scully scoffs at this idea and believes it's remote controlled by a prankster.

In the end, it'ss destroyed by a grieving father who smashes his own company truck into it, ending its reign of terror...

Mulder looks upon the wreckage, wondering if its destruction was a good or bad thing in the overall scheme of things. Scully comforts him with the idea that, "Who knows, Mulder. If what you said is true, if you believe it, it died being hit by a truck, too. If you believe its victims are still alive on some other world as great heroes, maybe it is, too..."