Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I wrote Elden Ring using an AI trained on National Lampoon movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I wrote Elden Ring using an AI trained on National Lampoon movies

I always knew Godric was just Chevy Chase

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ty franck is actually short for thank you franck

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
So what's the lore about the sphincters anyway

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

If GRRM had written it, the whole game would have been about a hosed-up family with loads of incest and every major character's name would have begun with one of the initials of his name as a power move.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bug Squash posted:

If GRRM had written it, the whole game would have been about a hosed-up family with loads of incest and every major character's name would have begun with one of the initials of his name as a power move.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Bug Squash posted:

We can validate that pretty quickly. Let's just pick a few at random like Tanith, Torrent, the Tarnished, Fia, Fingers (Two). Hey wait a second...

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Omnomnomnivore posted:

So what's the lore about the sphincters anyway

It references the protrusions off of the Dung Eaters armor. They're supposed to mimic the excised horns of the Omens. Cuz he's like an Omen at heart or something, cursed on the inside instead of the out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i always assumed it was about the weird land mollusk things that poison you, but that makes much more sense

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

It references the protrusions off of the Dung Eaters armor. They're supposed to mimic the excised horns of the Omens. Cuz he's like an Omen at heart or something, cursed on the inside instead of the out.

He's an edgelord loser projecting his misanthropy onto a blameless minority imo

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

No Dignity posted:

He's an edgelord loser projecting his misanthropy onto a blameless minority imo

Well, yes. Somehow his "If everyone is cursed, then no one is" worldview/mending-rune doesn't seem to resonate with a lot of people.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Killing a god by poisoning its food is at least fundamentally pretty metal

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah Ty Franck wrote it, hence the thread title.

its true

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Killing a god by poisoning its food is at least fundamentally pretty metal

More like starving it, if I understand correctly -- the Seedbed Curse ensures that your soul can never return to the Erdtree. You might still reincarnate, that part isn't 100% clear, but if so it's like everyone's trapped in their own little personal cycle of rebirth, alienated from all other souls.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bug Squash posted:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was complaining about all the similar names to a friend when I paused halfway through the list to look at the initials and typed "GRM YOU HACK" in all caps.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

100% co-op run is off to the races, I've gone with pure faith again because of how much co-op utility it has and the goal is to always summon where I can summon, to always activate effigies, always have my own beacon on far/wide, and to only go solo if no signs at all appear for a couple minutes (matchmaking is a bit weird so I need to factor in for this.) Really love doing the sunbro thing in these games, love the little interactions and seeing what builds people are playing. Also hoping I show some new players just how devastating Catch Flame is and that it isn't some lame starter spell

Still about 10 more levels until I start getting nonstop summons to clear Castle Morne, which I'm looking forward to because it's the first really great co-op zone

edit - it's also been fun having to deprogram myself after playing through DS3 and especially DS2 since my last run. I still feel a child-like glee whenever I drink my estus at lightning speed and my stamina is back in a flash

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 26, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

I was complaining about all the similar names to a friend when I paused halfway through the list to look at the initials and typed "GRM YOU HACK" in all caps.

It's funny because it's a pretty big hint that Melina is related to Malenia and Miquella.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fister Roboto posted:

It's funny because it's a pretty big hint that Melina is related to Malenia and Miquella.

Also that the other divine pairings have 3 definite children each. Godfrey and Marika = Mohg, Morgott and Godwyn. Radagon + Rennala = Ranni, Radahn and Rykard. Therefor Marika + Radagon = Miquella, Malenia and ???? (Melina?).

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Is the Roundtable Hold in the capital meant to be the same place or did they just reuse the building?
Also there was like Godrick's ghost or something in a random house. I literally don't know what's going on anymore.

And what's the deal with the giant skeletons on thrones?

King guy (Moggott?) was the easiest major boss so far. I'm now in the snow land and I find my interest slipping again. Rogue Trader is tempting me away.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think you will find that the Godrick ghost is legally-distinct and totally different character (honest) Godefroy the Grafted.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digital Flower posted:

Is the Roundtable Hold in the capital meant to be the same place or did they just reuse the building?
Also there was like Godrick's ghost or something in a random house. I literally don't know what's going on anymore.

I mean, this is never explicitly stated, but the Roundtable Hold is probably an idealized memory of the place you can find in the capital, in the same way that when you kill a demigod or another powerful enemy you gain their Remembrance as it's "hewn into the Erdtree." You can tell because (lategame spoilers) when the Erdtree burns, the Roundtable Hold burns with it.

Digital Flower posted:

They were probably important people in Nokron and Nokstella. Given the clothing at least one of them seems to have been a woman.

One of Marika's old enemies, the Gloam-Eyed Queen, is kind of conspicuously absent from the game -- especially compared to everyone else she conquered (e.g. the dragons, the fire giants, and the Carians, all of whom are very obviously still present in some form) so it's kind of tempting to identify the two together, but it's just speculation.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 27, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Digital Flower posted:

King guy (Moggott?) was the easiest major boss so far. I'm now in the snow land and I find my interest slipping again. Rogue Trader is tempting me away.

You're onto something about roundtable hold. Hewg the blacksmith there rambles onto some more details. I don't want to go much further since it's story you're very close to seeing.

Giant skeletons are part of a group that got conquered by the golden order or whoever before the shattering I think.

Press onward! You're nearing the end. Snow lands is pretty quick and you can easily just beeline to the end. Then you get a legacy dungeon that's pretty cool all things considered.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Digital Flower posted:

My answers, there's more videos about all of this:

1. The one in leyndell is the original the one you visit is....a copy somewhere else. It's never really explained but you get some prominent hints later on.

2. The gold guy is you fighting a projection of Godfrey, which is like a magical copy you control at a distance. Godfrey probably doesn't want you to be Elden Lord and is trying to stop you.

3. Who loving knows man, again multiple theories around that.

4. Yeah the snow area is where things start to slow for most people.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They were buried for trying to make an artificial Lord, so there's a chance those huge skeletons are those Lords, but it could also be that they just realized they could make massive skeletons sitting terrifyingly in gigantic thrones and couldnt think of a reason not to.

Possibly something to do with the huge skulls in the landscape you see from time to time

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure the above-ground giant skeletons buried in the landscape are just dead fire giants. They're only really present in the Forbidden Lands and the north-eastern edge of Caelid. (Which also kinda suggests there may not always have been a gap between the two.)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure the above-ground giant skeletons buried in the landscape are just dead fire giants. They're only really present in the Forbidden Lands and the north-eastern edge of Caelid. (Which also kinda suggests there may not always have been a gap between the two.)

Could just be there were some there. Godfrey then showed up and resolved that issue.

Caelid was way different, too, before the rot nuke detonated.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

we don't really know much about the giants on thrones and lots of details like the roundtable hold being duplicated, which of course is rather par for the course in these games. certainly it is intentional and presumably based on something in the full treatment that GRRM wrote that we'll never get to see, rather than simple reuse, but like gently caress will we ever learn what the deal is. maybe the dlc will have some info about these or many other issues but it's just as likely to raise more questions

zullie has a couple videos related to that, chiefly this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2j5NwgXpnE
and this one mentions them but doesn't really say much more than "they big"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZTJibqr4g

tarnished archaeologist has speculations on them, but he makes much more far-reaching conjectures based on the same scanty information and long leaps of logic, which may annoy you. and also he sure fuckin' likes to talk, so his videos are long-rear end essays rather than bite-sized vignettes. but this one has some discussion of those giant skeletons in caelid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCe6tVyJ7bw
and there are some others he's made that discuss nox and nokstella but I've linked enough videos in the post already, you can find them yourself if you want

anyway maybe you shouldn't watch these videos if you haven't beaten the game, but at the same time, who cares

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I actually don't believe Godfrey himself made the construct, it doesn't seem his style at all, it's far more likely that its Morgott making a defense mechanism, given that he uses Golden Order incantations and has projected himself elsewhere before.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Skelly people were definitely up to some crazy poo poo since the place is full of mimic slimes and petrified things that look like they were turning into humans. There’s also larval tears all over the place.

Renalla uses the larval tears to try to rebirth her son, a demi-god. It’s likely the skeletons were up to the same thing, trying to create a god- or perhaps they were the product of that experiment. Whichever it was, it didn’t work out, probably for the same reason all of Renalla’s creations are flawed*

*see her flock of lame magelings, her precious egg son or a possible choice related to Boc. Something is lost in rebirth.

E: the soldier boys and whip ladies are there for reasons that are explained in item descriptions you find underground. It’s clear they came afterwards

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 27, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Skelly people were definitely up to some crazy poo poo since the place is full of mimic slimes and petrified things that look like they were turning into humans. There’s also larval tears all over the place.

Renalla uses the larval tears to try to rebirth her son, a demi-god. It’s likely the skeletons were up to the same thing, trying to create a god- or perhaps they were the product of that experiment. Whichever it was, it didn’t work out, probably for the same reason all of Renalla’s creations are flawed*

*see her flock of lame magelings, her precious egg son or a possible choice related to Boc. Something is lost in rebirth.

E: the soldier boys and whip ladies are there for reasons that are explained in item descriptions you find underground. It’s clear they came afterwards

The zombie guys are latter-day adventurers, but the whip ladies are Nox, who are the same Eternal City people who made the mimics in course of inventing weird sorcerous liquid metal stuff. They're also dressed like the giant chair skeletons. I guess theyre supposed to be like remnant survivors like all the Pthumerians wandering around the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I haven't seen anything to indicate that Renalla's amber egg is her child. It's just the vessel for the Rune given to her by Radagon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Which honestly raises even more questions, since the Elden Ring wasn't even broken when Radagon left Renalla.

Is it possible to "give" Great Runes without removing them from the Ring? That might explain why each child wound up with one, even ones like Ranni who didn't actually want one. It doesn't explain how Godrick got the centerpiece, though.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Annath posted:

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Renalla's amber egg is her child. It's just the vessel for the Rune given to her by Radagon.

If I remember right, there used to be an infant in it that was removed prior to release.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I always assumed the Rune of the Unborn was Ranni's "cast aside" rune, given that she manifests out of it during phase 2 of Rennala's fight and the lack of other likely candidates.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I always assumed the Rune of the Unborn was Ranni's "cast aside" rune, given that she manifests out of it during phase 2 of Rennala's fight and the lack of other likely candidates.

Apparently she chucked hers in the trash and it hasn't been seen since.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Apparently she chucked hers in the trash and it hasn't been seen since.

This is, if nothing else, the funnier possibility.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked this up during the sale.
Finally excited to have some proper, punishment from our lord Miyazaki.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like how the weird melty corpses around the giant skeletons remind me of the ending shot of Shin Godzilla with the humanoids coming out of his tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The giant throne skeletons are cool and my friends