Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Killstick posted:

Just found out auto-save is disabled by default.

The hard way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Don't like the mass spam of low density houses complaining about high rent

I ran into this on my first city due to high land value versus lot size so in my next city I zoned way more 2-4 tile deep lots, rather than and maximum and that seemed to erase the issue

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

The hard way?

I know I did

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

The hard way?

Oh yes.

I'm on the way to recovery now, and in doing so i left the game running for a few hours to gather up some money and when i got back i'm receiving millions in subsidies:

What's causing this?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You're still in the red though. It seems you have set negative tax rates, making you pay out over 200M to local businesses etc.

The government subsidies you receive are the game's way of showing randomly giving the player money because they aren't doing well enough.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
My tax rates were the default 10% for everything, and those subsidies were like 100x my budget. It eventually stopped happening, but not before i had accumulated a nice windfall of 500M dollars. There's ghosts in the simulation i think.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I had that happen in my most recent city too. -400m in food subsidies a month. You can go into the more detailed tax thing somewhere and set them to 0% which should just neutralize them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Disappointing there's no way to change the amount of cars that a tram has. I want old Toronto style street cars rather than the super long modern ones the game has.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What’s the advantage of trams over buses? I’ve been pretty much just ignoring them, since my real-life experience with streetcars has left me thinking that they’re just buses but on rails.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're cooler.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There's more potential for dedicated lanes/roads and I thought (but might be wrong) that the capacity per vehicle is higher? but mostly

Grand Fromage posted:

They're cooler.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They go ding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was controversy in Melbourne when they started to modernise the fleet because the new trams with speakers instead of bells didn't go ding right and that was an affront to our cultural heritage so they had to fix all that up to be more accurate to the traditional Melbourne ding ding ding.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I got gamepass to try CS2. It seems to run OK at mostly medium settings, although that's with only 1,000 people. Around 45ish FPS.

There's a couple of things I don't like though, one possibly because it's actually a new game and not just super duper CS1. Everything seems more "bitty" more involved in how you do things, or more complex. It's like they've up'ed the detail level and the intricacies of doing things but haven't really added depth, or where they have it's not immediately obvious how or why.

Also, the colours are poo. Everything feels muted and towned down. I liked the vibrancy of some of the CS1 maps.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

blastron posted:

What’s the advantage of trams over buses? I’ve been pretty much just ignoring them, since my real-life experience with streetcars has left me thinking that they’re just buses but on rails.

Way higher capacity, which matters partly because having fewer vehicles on the road is good, but also because a depot can only support so many vehicles now so running a lot of busses will mean having multiple bus depots.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ms Adequate posted:

Way higher capacity, which matters partly because having fewer vehicles on the road is good, but also because a depot can only support so many vehicles now so running a lot of busses will mean having multiple bus depots.

It also seems like trams (on tram-dedicated roads) are faster than busses - but maybe that's just because i have mine on an elevated rail instead of sharing the road. They definitely slow down when they hit the one segment of pedestrian road + tram tracks, even though there's no traffic for them to conflict with.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Asproigerosis posted:

Also is it normal to constantly have these insane crashes? I have numerous road maintenance shops and all the roads are green condition.

Since this seems to have been lost, you do have four highways going into an intersection, I can see how that might cause problems. You could try changing the last part going into the intersection into normal 2-lane one-way roads to reduce the speed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ignoranus posted:

It also seems like trams (on tram-dedicated roads) are faster than busses - but maybe that's just because i have mine on an elevated rail instead of sharing the road. They definitely slow down when they hit the one segment of pedestrian road + tram tracks, even though there's no traffic for them to conflict with.

Makes sense, a tram on a shared way won't be able to go as fast, even if there's no traffic they can't gun it to full speed for safety reasons.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dunno-Lars posted:

Since this seems to have been lost, you do have four highways going into an intersection, I can see how that might cause problems. You could try changing the last part going into the intersection into normal 2-lane one-way roads to reduce the speed.

I think this game also takes intersection complexity into account? Anytime you go 4 or more roads intersecting the chance of accidents seems to go way up regardless of road maintenance.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fishstick posted:

I think this game also takes intersection complexity into account? Anytime you go 4 or more roads intersecting the chance of accidents seems to go way up regardless of road maintenance.

Given it's calculated per road segment that's effectively 4 times the base accident chance in a 4-way intersection.
(Also this means if you split your road segments for some reason you're slightly increasing the accident chance)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What might make it better is merging the on and off ramp into a 2 way road so you only have a 4 way intersection. I bet turning it into the biggest roundabout would also work. Or just ban cars and go full public transport.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

That all being said, they'll find a way

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any good youtubes for creating interchanges? I looked at the ones unlocked in the roads skill tree but they all seem so huge.

I was poo poo at managing traffic in cs1, and it seems I'm poo poo in cs2

\/\/\/Thanks for that. Crazy how differnt his builds are from CityPlannerPlays. Very vibes based, which is more my speed.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 24, 2023

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
YUMBL is all about interchanges, switches and intersections.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
I haven't played much since release, did they fix the export problems, the garbage problems, and the education problems?

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Captain Melo posted:

I haven't played much since release, did they fix the export problems, the garbage problems, and the education problems?

No. Cargo exporting worked for me for a while, but once my city got over 120k everything broke again.

I've sunk a good amount of time into two cities, one over 200k and one over 100k. I really like building cities in this game, but some fundamental mechanics being totally broken kinda spoils it. Plus the frame drop after 100k makes it fairly unpleasant to play, which may be why everything breaks math wise.

The only way I've been able to get industry to sustain itself through land value crisis is with two steps:

- -10% tax subsidy
- building a shitload of commercial to induce demand (a good idea anyway)

That being said, a few industries are straight up broken for me:

At 10% tax, I earn 100,000,000¢/month off of my lumber industry, so I haven to set it to zero. My textiles industry gives me negative tens of millions a month when I have positive tax on it, and gives me money back when I subsidize it. Busted.

Cargo works until a cargo station ends up with more material than its max capacity, at which cargo can't be picked up or dropped off anymore, and all the traffic just clogs up for and endless line of semis trying to do either.

My cargo shipyard straight up doesn't do anything.

But, subways and trams work great and are a fun mechanic. I like building rowhouses on hills. You can do some fun, pretty stuff in this game before your city breaks it.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Frankly I'm not sure I should be building any of the Commerce or Industry prize buildings, they all take 100000 workers to fill but never fill even though I keep building high density residential; in the meantime my commercial and industry demand is through the roof. My oil rigs and stone miners perpetually have 0 highly-educated workers in them despite having two universities and two colleges.

I have a bunch of old low density housing that apparently nobody lives in, maybe because it's too expensive I guess????

Also I have a skyscraper where apparently the trucks refuse to collect garbage from so I guess they're living in a landfill.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

RoyalScion posted:

Also I have a skyscraper where apparently the trucks refuse to collect garbage from so I guess they're living in a landfill.

Not a bug?

Africa's tallest apartment building was built for luxury but filled with garbage
https://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5063258/ponte-tower-africas-tallest-apartment-filled-garbage-film

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah my highway interchange was just the default "urban" intersection in the game but flipped so the highway is elevated. Did not know speed mattered for interchanges.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I keep checking in here to decide if it's time to jump in and try the game yet but it sounds like the sim is still completely broken or nobody knows how it actually works which means it might as well be broken?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I think they've gotten more or less to the point where the game is functional, and each patch introduced breaks something that was fixed, which gets patched out a few weeks later (latest one being delayed with the Christmas break.) So the basic game is there, and the major issues have been corrected. The problem for me, right now, and stopping me from buying/enjoying as opposed to trying it on gamepass is that it isn't near as rich as CS1 with a few DLCs.

I suppose we all knew this would happen. Stuff like detailing the world, and a DLC like Parks or something would really add a lot. (Parks was probably my favourite CS1 DLC.) Maybe the new styles being introduced in a few months will change that. Something to make a city come alive and feel your own rather than simply progressing through growth.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I was expecting much of the CS1 content to be absent, and I'm actually pleased by how much is included even if in less developed form than the original has by this point, but I do think the lack of detailing options is one that really sucks rear end and it's lovely there aren't a couple more tools and options for it. Hell, just being able to have parks (the buildings) consider paths as their needed connection, rather than just roads, would make it possible to make much much more diverse and interesting parks (the concept).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

I was expecting much of the CS1 content to be absent, and I'm actually pleased by how much is included even if in less developed form than the original has by this point, but I do think the lack of detailing options is one that really sucks rear end and it's lovely there aren't a couple more tools and options for it. Hell, just being able to have parks (the buildings) consider paths as their needed connection, rather than just roads, would make it possible to make much much more diverse and interesting parks (the concept).

this is my biggest want. I do like the area tool for placing trees and bushes, I wish they had included a line tool, though.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The game still has significant systems like land value that aren't functioning correctly. Not game breaking, but soft locks of sorts I guess as eventually it really fucks up the ability to play a large late city.

So if you've been waiting for the game to get out of beta and into a proper retail build, it's still not there yet.

Make sure you watch the incredible documentary on how they wasted time and resources on documenting their incredible launch of a raw beta build though :)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also aside from everything else, and maybe its just me, but I keep getting a weird 'hitching' in the game. It either happens or doesn't - I started a brand new save that almost immediately started doing these weird 'skips' in the simulation, then started another and it was fine. I have a big city from an old patch I can load that has it, I can load a different city that doesn't.

I've tried so many things to try and understand what causes it, but the best way I can describe it is like the game gets something caught in its throat and you just have to brave it out while it coughs from 10 minutes to 2 hours until it frees itself. Then it might be fine forever, or for another 10 minutes.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

At some point you also start running into actual City issues you have no way of properly troubleshooting. Why does this road keep having traffic jams? Sorry, no route tool so you can see where most people are going! Who's using the public transport and when? No such data, sorry, Usage is between 34% and 67%, hope that helps!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally got around to trying CS2 out and man, everything just feels like a huge step back. Even basic stuff like setting up utilities is more fiddly than ever and more annoying. Pretty disappointing tbh

Major systems just being broken still too is enough to just go for the uninstall. Maybe it'll get to a better spot later.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Really? I've felt that it was pretty great incorporating bunch of huge QOL upgrades. My biggest thing is the lack of individual park items, like being able to plop down a slide and some swings and benches in an open space away from a road.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Do we know when mods will finally happen? Game is in weird purgatory limbo without volunteer video game designers involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are mods now if you want to get into unsupported stuff, but official mod support is early next year.