Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

cerebral posted:

I just installed the "Spidey Sense" mod, and it is amazing to help with any challenges someone may have with audio cues. It adds different colored indicators for basically every audio cue in the game, and as someone who has bad hearing, it's super helpful. I image it's a complete game-changer for people with serious hearing impairment.

Say what you will, but the visual indicators that fortnite uses should probably be in every game for accessibility (was that the first place to do that? Was first i noticed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Preechr posted:

Assail is great for erasing dog packs and as a quick way to stagger/kill a rager swarm, it’s just not your do everything ability anymore. You whip it out to spam at the threat and quickly switch back to your weapon to do the needful.

I like it with the talents that grant toughness on kill and peril generation/quelling, it's a good way to make some space so you can get back to blasting with the trauma staff, or a quick panic fire into a horde to get some toughness back, or to build up peril to boost your melee damage, or to pick off a sniper that a veteran hasn't gotten to yet.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Here are several things a new player can do to instantly increase your survivability on any difficulty:

*Dodge more. I've played with people who say they "don't really dodge", like it's a playstyle or something, and past a certain point dodging is a much better way to avoid damage than blocking. The dodge window is surprisingly generous.

*Respond to noises. If you're hearing the melee woosh or the ranged crackle you should be responding to it.

*Learn to tell when your toughness is broken. And if your toughness is not at 100+ you cannot afford to get melee'd.

*Use melee more than range. Don't tunnel vision with range. Turn around more. Every couple of kills, check your butt.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I like the scoreboard mod for the insight into playstyles it provides. Is that Loner Zealot that's zooming ahead a demigod who annihilates everything, or is he just some dingus who's doing half the damage of anyone else on the team? (Spoiler: The latter in nearly every case... but not always).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Honestly as long as theyre not actively detrimental (which, again, still an issue for a lot of Zealots) I don't really care if people are "underperforming".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Of course on the opposite track you shouldn't neglect your ranged weapon either, especially if you're a Psyker with a staff* or are using a weapon with a large ammo pool like most of the Autoguns and Lasguns

*indeed if you're using a staff you should be using that as your primary weapon most of the time since you have infinite ammo and quelling Peril is pretty fast(and unlike Heat in Vermintide you don't have to worry about hurting yourself when you quell) and Psyker's staffs are some of the best crowd control weapons in the game(well aside from maybe Surge) because of that

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

While it isn't optimal to magdump bolter rounds into crowds of poxwalkers, it is extremely satisfying and I will do it every time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A nice mod (or indeed a core feature) would be telling me if that veteran on my team has improved medkits/ammo crates, so I know if I can afford to chuck all my grenades without having to ask someone who might be too busy fighting

Also they should label ammo crates as X/4 uses remaining because I have seen dingdongs past level 30 who think it has X00 bullets and not 4 uses, and they empty the entire goddamn thing in seconds by repeatedly topping off.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also they should label ammo crates as X/4 uses remaining because I have seen dingdongs past level 30 who think it has X00 bullets and not 4 uses, and they empty the entire goddamn thing in seconds by repeatedly topping off.

There's a mod that does this. Also colour codes it and the medicae station on how many charges are left too.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Legit Businessman posted:

There's a mod that does this. Also colour codes it and the medicae station on how many charges are left too.

Yeah, but that one really needs to be a base game feature because the people who would mod the game are the ones who know these things.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, but that one really needs to be a base game feature because the people who would mod the game are the ones who know these things.

Fatshark should make content. Modders can make the QOL stuff.

In a perfect world, FS would to both, but they are hilariously incompetent, and I'd rather them focus on churning out content and not having a good method to determine if a buff should be an increase or decrease a number in their code. And also have general issues with their version control.

I mean, we've seen companies hire modders onto staff to basically make their mods official, maybe it will happen here!

I also don't know that if FS brings something over from the modding side of things, there are issues with copyright/compensation or other legal issues which might make them a bit gunshy about it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

ZeusCannon posted:

the visual indicators that fortnite uses should probably be in every game for accessibility

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

A nice mod (or indeed a core feature) would be telling me if that veteran on my team has improved medkits/ammo crates, so I know if I can afford to chuck all my grenades without having to ask someone who might be too busy fighting

This ding dong did not know this

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah it can fill from 0 to 100 percent four times, or replenish a single bullet four times.

Also if a vet has improved crates, you can replenish grenades, but only if you're missing actual ammo. So like if you're trying to devour it for 8 grenades ASAP, you gotta fire a shot each time to be able to top off.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The only scoreboard stat that matters is how many bullets got fired and you can only guesstimate that from ammo pickups

Gun ogryn or autogun Vet can go through 2,500 to 4,000 rounds per match which is pretty 40k.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The only scoreboard stat that matters is how many bullets got fired and you can only guesstimate that from ammo pickups

Gun ogryn or autogun Vet can go through 2,500 to 4,000 rounds per match which is pretty 40k.

A team of four dudes is stacking 1500+ bodies in 20 minutes or less; this is the sort of thing that would traditionally get those involved a “heroic man-pile around a flag shooting in every direction” portrait in 40k.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Preechr posted:

A team of four dudes is stacking 1500+ bodies in 20 minutes or less; this is the sort of thing that would traditionally get those involved a “heroic man-pile around a flag shooting in every direction” portrait in 40k.

Are you kidding, those are rookie numbers! The Imperium doesn't even blink for those numbers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Back Hack posted:

Are you kidding, those are rookie numbers! The Imperium doesn't even blink for those numbers.

No no the Imperium doesn’t blink for those kinds of casualties. Easy mistake to make.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Preechr posted:

Including up to like a dozen plague ogryns or chaos spawn, depending on the modifiers.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

For the Trauma soulblaze build what blessings do people like on their staff? I've enjoyed crit chance with peril plus soulblaze on crit, but stacking charge time is good (but what to pair it with?)

For sword I like stacking crit buff with Blazing Spirit on Illisi. Fast swings give faster crit buff, more crits, and more blaze. Plus unlike the other force swords you can repeatedly use alt fire to build peril without having to hit anyone between activations. This is nice after you shriek to raise peril to strengthen the blaze and hit harder with the sword while you mop up the enemies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
If you're going for Blazing Spirit on your Trauma you might as well get crit with peril chance.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Artificer posted:

If you're going for Blazing Spirit on your Trauma you might as well get crit with peril chance.

Yeah, that's one pairing I use. I'm just saying the other option is faster charge speed, but if I do that, I don't know what other blessing I'd get.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, that's one pairing I use. I'm just saying the other option is faster charge speed, but if I do that, I don't know what other blessing I'd get.

Rending Shockwave is the versatile Trauma Staff pairing with the faster charge speed.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If soulblaze then soul blaze + crit blessings.

If not soul blaze then rending shockwave + warp flurry.

Don't overthink it. You had the right answer to begin with.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

just picked up the game a few days ago and leveled up a vet. Bought one of the plasma guns and you guys werent kidding, this thing kicks rear end. Really satisfying to shred everything

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
once you get up to deadshot you can get +2/+3 stam curios and just make a death ray build columbus which is way more fun than the plasma but its really funny how much the plasma kicks rear end. frankly boring af gun

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 27, 2023

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Switched up from Shield Ogryn, which I do love, to try Gun Ogryn.
Hot drat!!! They both play VERY different and have very different purposes in a match.
I love how much I can change up my playstyle by tweaking the talent tree, which is how it should be, but gently caress. That Stubbah unloading on hoardes of hounds, flamers or whatever just WREEEEECKS the hordes and feels good.

Trying to lock down which melee weapons to use, currently been playing with the butcher, but drat. I like the shield but without having the taunt I can't equip it. I want to get out of melee to go back to dumping hot lead in people's faces

I still only play on Malice (3 star) and I'm getting ready to jump up to 5 star. I feel like I've gotten a better grasp on dodging and blocking.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sometimes people randomly compliment me on my Kickback:

edit: Christ the stove is glowing radioactive slag today.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 27, 2023

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Sometimes people randomly compliment me on my Kickback:

edit: Christ the stove is glowing radioactive slag today.

Depending on the build you're using the kickback with, you can do much better than terrifying barrage. Blaze away, full bore or expansive are all better picks than terrifying barrage.

Blaze away is probably the best, but you've got the bis blessing - surgical - which is really all that matters on there.

I'd also be tempted to roll off the +reload into +flak.

It's a very good kickback.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

its a locked kickback, too.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Someone once said that suppression only matters for ranged enemies? But i would swear I have seen melee only cower due to (what i assume is) terrifying barrage

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Hell yeah ogryn and plasma goons fire it up!

Don't jump from level 3 missions to level 5. Each difficulty changed the way I play the game, the challenge will build quickly.

Highly recommend videos about enemy sounds, this might be a good one. Especially the melee cue, you might never get hit by a regular enemy again.

https://youtu.be/XoijlJBxZ3o?si=M2XysJ7bTX20BBf3

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Heresy is when the game gets serious with how ranged enemies go from "annoyances you can mostly ignore" to "blasting you and taking out all your toughness and now health from having being taught to ignore them in previous difficulties". Also maulers/crushers end up being far more dangerous due to health and damage they inflict.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

are there any good videos on how the damage types work?

i can see from skills and bonuses that theres armored, flak, carapace, etc but the game doesnt explain poo poo about what any of those are and it seems important to know

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Qmass posted:

its a locked kickback, too.

I’m not sure if this is what you meant, but you can change already-modified slots as many times as you want. So the Terrifying Barrage on there could be replaced if they wanted to (but Surgical can’t be).

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i can see from skills and bonuses that theres armored, flak, carapace, etc but the game doesnt explain poo poo about what any of those are and it seems important to know

Personally I recommend one of the many "darktide armor comparison" websites, phone posting right now but there's a couple with drop down menus that tell you exactly which enemies have what armor where. Keep that open while you're theory crafting w hadron or whatever. Then take your weapon into the meat grinder training area and just gently caress around firing the gun, it's got pop ups that tell you how much damage you're doing and what armor type you just hit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

If nothing else you can get an extremely basic look at that in the Meat Grinder training room. When you hit an enemy in that there will be a some text alongside their health bar to show you what type of enemy they are. You can’t see bosses in there without mods but they are all unyielding.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

https://imgur.com/a/AR0Nxo4

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Highly recommend hotkeys for the Lobby mod for the meatgrinder.

I basically bought greys of any interesting weapon and smacked around the different armors. I also do most of my upgrading in the meat grinder now because I'm usually testing a new weapon vs the old.

In addition to th dope rear end advice and links already posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZeusCannon posted:

Someone once said that suppression only matters for ranged enemies? But i would swear I have seen melee only cower due to (what i assume is) terrifying barrage

Enemies affected by gun/stave based suppression are: groaners (the weaker horde chaff that look more human), shooters (either faction, includes scab stalkers) gunners (either faction), reapers.

Anything else ignores completely gun based suppression.