Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

X-O posted:

Then don't bring them up. I'd rather not here what they're up in arms about on a daily basis. Ignore them.

Yes boss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That last page ruled and Reese's suit looks killer.

Of course we never saw Marc's body so it's likely he'll come back again, but it'll be cool to see how the others step up and who exactly the new Moon Knight is, since it doesn't seem to be any of those four.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Plus, even beyond super heroes getting brought back from the dead, his literal origin story is him getting brought back from the dead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

That last page ruled and Reese's suit looks killer.

Of course we never saw Marc's body so it's likely he'll come back again, but it'll be cool to see how the others step up and who exactly the new Moon Knight is, since it doesn't seem to be any of those four.

Well when Dr. Strange died and his job was taken up by a supporting character, the new mysterious character in black turned out to be him again waaiiittt a minute...

(just kidding Vulpes I know you're not a one-trick pony)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Been trying to catch up on things Spidey-wise before the new Ultimate Spider-Man drops. Renew Your Vows started strong but eventually the artists changed and a lot of the adolescent May era was simply workmanlike when it came to how things looked. You've got 3 different Spider-people so things should really never look boring.

With that done I moved onto Zdarsky's Spectacular run and that's been top-notch. At times I think it might actually be too jokey but maybe that's the combined effect of the story jokes and the narration jokes and recap jokes and letters page jokes, not necessarily a knock on his Spider-Man character. I can't even believe I'm saying this because humour is very important to me and to my enjoyment of Spider-Man but I have to be honest. Overall we're still talking like a 9/10 run so far here.

And then since that run brings back Teresa I finally after all this time read the Family Business OGN and I'm a loving idiot for putting it off so long because that was amazing. I've always been a fan of Del'Otto's work so seeing him do this story was such a treat. Really felt like a modern take on, and companion piece to, that old annual about Peter clearing his parents' names.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Well when Dr. Strange died and his job was taken up by a supporting character, the new mysterious character in black turned out to be him again waaiiittt a minute...

(just kidding Vulpes I know you're not a one-trick pony)

The new Moon Knight is Dr. Strange?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The new Moon Knight is Dr. Strange?

No, idiot, it's Clea Strange

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A whole group of Moon Knights. Moon Knights of the round table. Or crescent table depending on the lunar cycle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Then don't bring them up. I'd rather not here what they're up in arms about on a daily basis. Ignore them.

rantmo posted:

gently caress, that last page of Moon Knight gave me chills, what a loving book. I'm really glad Vulpes isn't done with this corner of the world yet.

Very much same.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

This one panel might be my favorite of the year. Even better showing the other of Moira going "Ugh."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh, it's gonna get a lot of use out me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

poop chute posted:

Nice! I completed most of mine a while back, I think I'm missing the one issue of Hulk that it crossed over with and that's it. Even have the Power Man and Iron Fist two parter. Looking forward to the omnibus of that and Micronauts just so I don't have to read my actual floppies; that short box is a treasured possession.

I just ordered the remaining two mainline ROM issues but you’re still ahead of me. I have the Thing Two in One crossover but now I’m wondering if I should be a better completist.

Are the Hulk and Power Man / Iron Fist issues important to the main ROM storyline? I’d like to get the relevant stuff but I don’t know if I care enough to get everything mentioned on this list:

https://trendingpopculture.com/rom-checklist/

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Snowy posted:

I just ordered the remaining two mainline ROM issues but you’re still ahead of me. I have the Thing Two in One crossover but now I’m wondering if I should be a better completist.

Are the Hulk and Power Man / Iron Fist issues important to the main ROM storyline? I’d like to get the relevant stuff but I don’t know if I care enough to get everything mentioned on this list:

https://trendingpopculture.com/rom-checklist/

Not really, more of a supplement that you can read if you want. There’s a few issues of Avengers (244 and 245) and Uncanny X-Men (187 and 188) that have some really important Dire Wraith stuff in them tho, so maybe take a look at those.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This new White Widow series is fun so far. Yelena is great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno it reads kinda weird to me, like it's a book about the movie Yelena, young and sorta fresh out of escaping the red room, not very experienced in the world; instead of comic Yelena, who has been around a long time and definitely has experienced all the stuff she apparently now hasn't

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I dunno it reads kinda weird to me, like it's a book about the movie Yelena, young and sorta fresh out of escaping the red room, not very experienced in the world; instead of comic Yelena, who has been around a long time and definitely has experienced all the stuff she apparently now hasn't

Yeah, I don't like when they make the comic characters more like the movie characters. I liked the Star Lord we had in Annihilation, didn't like the one we had after the Guardians movie came out. I think they've course corrected on him.

I also understand why they do it, more people have seen Yelena in either the Black Widow movie or the Hawkeye tv show than have read a comic she's in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Actually now that I'm going through her wiki, I see that I memoryholed that after her good stints in the old black widow books, she's been a crappy villain who has died and come back to life repeatedly basically from 2005 right up until Kelly Thompson's BW run, so maybe I should let this one go

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Actually now that I'm going through her wiki, I see that I memoryholed that after her good stints in the old black widow books, she's been a crappy villain who has died and come back to life repeatedly basically from 2005 right up until Kelly Thompson's BW run, so maybe I should let this one go

She was good in the Dark Reign era Thunderbolts book, but she's pretending to be Natasha for half of it (That's a spoiler, but it's old enough I don't care).

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Moon Knight was a mutant the whole time BUT his powers didn’t manifest because of Khonshu so the X-Men will bring him back and give him a costume almost identical to his old one but with an X belt.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I don't think Yelena has had very good characterization so just using the Thompson/MCU version for the comics is fine. Especially if it leads to Kate and Yelena adventures.

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

She was good in the Dark Reign era Thunderbolts book, but she's pretending to be Natasha for half of it (That's a spoiler, but it's old enough I don't care).

IIRC that was Natasha pretending to be Yelena for all of it. There was a set up for more stuff with Yelena but that didn't get picked up after Diggle left the book.

The old well-written comic book Yelena was definitely someone who didn't have much of an identity or ambition beyond being Black Widow who learned to see how her handlers were betraying her. So thematically I think it works, but the old Black Widow books where Yelena was introduced were all written before the Red Room was revealed to be kidnapping orphans and raising them as child super-spies and that Natasha's memories of her ballet career, life with Ivan, etc, were all brainwashing. (Since the Richard Morgan series comics have been a lot more wibbly-wobbly on how much of previous canon memories are brainwashing vs real, but obviously the MCU draws very heavily from that 2006ish era of comics.) What this means for Yelena is that she used to be naive and sheltered in some important ways, but she was someone who had parents and a personal life she chose to sacrifice instead of someone who was never allowed to form an opinion on dogs.

That said, given how Yelena post Grayson/Rucka was never used in a consistent way and repeatedly killed off as a pawn of a bigger bad guy conspiracy, it makes sense she'd still be trying to find a purpose now. And I think Yelena as someone who escaped the Red Room and is trying to make a go of it without really trying to be a hero/make up for past actions gives her a more interesting role in the Marvel Universe than e.g. being the new Super-Adaptoid, so I'm willing to swallow a few continuity questions.

I'm looking forward to her appearance in Thunderbolts, too! The first issue of that was fun even though it doesn't feel like Thunderbolts really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well like, on a base level at one point Yelena was a multi millionaire fashion mogul so it's really weird to see her like she's a teenager who's never left the house

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah I don't think Yelena has had very good characterization so just using the Thompson/MCU version for the comics is fine. Especially if it leads to Kate and Yelena adventures.

Honestly Star Lord didn't have great characterization before the Guardians but Bendis just flipping his switch to Chris Pratt wasn't the right move either. They've hit a happy medium.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Characters are malleable and each writer can have their own interpretation of their identities and backstories. It's the beauty of long form writing of a shared universe. Of course there are some purist, who insist that each character has to be exactly like they were portraited in their very first appearance, but I don't share that sentiment. I tend to think each comic book run as the basis of the general idea of a character and try to figure out where it goes from there and so far I like the Yelena who exists in those two comic issues. Of course, there are limits. If concurrent comics have a wildly different idea of who a character is, it breaks the illusion that all of that happens in the same world.

But yeah, I like this gimmick. Yelena the ruthless super assassin trying to live a friendly life in a community and being sort of intimidated and confused by the concept of artichokes is cute.
And it's not like she never experienced some of these things before. It's just that before most of the stuff was Mission oriented and she surpressed her likes and preferences in favor of simulating whatever was most advantageous. Now that she feels truly free, she wants to understand what likes actually come intrinsically to find out who she is. Honestly, that's a really cool and sweet concept and I"m in for it. Forming opinions on stuff ist sort of a luxury.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 20, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Remember when Quill had black hair, a cybernetic eye, and many other cybernetic implants? I'm sometimes glad when characters go through massive changes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder if Marvel will do more Warhammer comics once the Amazon TV show comes out

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah, white is great and Yelena in the comics has never been anything but black widow 2 at best. This is a good change and a fun book.

Latkje
Jun 3, 2011

site posted:

Well like, on a base level at one point Yelena was a multi millionaire fashion mogul so it's really weird to see her like she's a teenager who's never left the house

I liked the character in The Things They Say About Her but it didn't feel like the Yelena that came before at all. Because the Yelena that appeared directly before in the Grayson/Rucka stuff was very obsessed with being the best spy and also super uncomfortable with the sexual expectations others put onto the "Black Widow" role. So for her to show up as a foil for Natasha who has completely given up espionage angst to embrace using those sexual expectations for her own gain as a lingerie mogul was very weird to me. Like, we missed a step there.

And then no one did anything with that direction for the character either and she got killed off in a Bendis Avengers book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The more I think about it the more I like the direction for Yelena.
She's basically comming out of a longterm relation where her abusive ex (her spy career) kept surpressing her personal preferences and gaslighted her into doing the things he likes while she wilted emotionally. Now she takes a hard look at what she thought she loved and realizes, "Yes, really sharp knifes are indeed awesome! This is me, I love this."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

i want a riddler to be emo phillips full stop

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Latkje posted:

I liked the character in The Things They Say About Her but it didn't feel like the Yelena that came before at all. Because the Yelena that appeared directly before in the Grayson/Rucka stuff was very obsessed with being the best spy and also super uncomfortable with the sexual expectations others put onto the "Black Widow" role. So for her to show up as a foil for Natasha who has completely given up espionage angst to embrace using those sexual expectations for her own gain as a lingerie mogul was very weird to me. Like, we missed a step there.

And then no one did anything with that direction for the character either and she got killed off in a Bendis Avengers book.

yeah that's fair. i read through all the black widow books last year so i got all those interesting old yelena stories in mind. but naturally none of the new avengers and other stuff was there so like i said i did not remember any of what sounds like really lame villain stuff

site fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 20, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Upsidads posted:

i want a riddler to be emo phillips full stop

only if you can work in judy tenuta as well

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snackmar posted:

Wow, that is a blast from the past.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snackmar posted:

I googled trying to learn why I knew that name and she dies last year.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Snackmar posted:

She's the Scarlet Witch.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I just learned about The Impossible Man and he named his kid WHAT?!?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

srypher posted:

I just learned about The Impossible Man and he named his kid WHAT?!?

He's entirely too possible

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is getting to make up ridiculous words the best part about writing strange

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Posted up my top ten in the DC thread. So doing the same here. Lots of great books this year it was hard to narrow it down to ten.

1. Moon Knight by Jed MacKay
2. Captain America by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly
3. She-Hulk by Rainbow Rowell
4. Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky
5. Immortal X-Men by Keiron Gillen
6. Doctor Strange by Jed MacKay
7. Scarlet Witch by Steve Orlando
8. Fantastic Four by Ryan North
9. X-Men Red by Al Ewing
10. Invincible Iron Man by Gerry Duggan

And I can't say enough good things about Sabretooth & The Exiles by Victor LaValle but I think only a couple of the issues released this year. They need to persuade him to write more, both Sabretooth minis he did were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rainbow Rowell did the most recent Runaways, right?