Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

We have Max, Netflix, and Prime subscriptions. Pirating their content and accessing it from Plex is so much better than watching through the respective platforms, and it’s only getting more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

American jew here. is the active genocide of Palestinians really “political”? I for one had no idea that sodastream was Israeli and it chased me off buying one? I think it’s worth pointing out and nobody was getting out of control

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

A white American here. I think we should be able to talk about the Palestinian genocide. Just because it happened to you does not mean you can do it to someone else.

im the mod that made the palestine donation thread and i'm far from the average GBS politics stance here, a lot of the politics posters in this here forum would hate my guts if they heard em

i don't want to go over it because lots of people have horrible opinions on poo poo they don't put actual thought in to. gbs is not the forum to expect people to have put in actual thought on their political opinions. cspam and d&d both exist and you can post your thoughts there, this thread is for every day poo poo.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 27, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol at goons missing the point by a fuckibg mile

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

im the mod that made the palestine donation thread and i'm far from the average GBS politics stance here, a lot of the politics posters in this here forum would hate my guts if they heard em

i don't want to go over it because lots of people have horrible opinions on poo poo they don't put actual thought in to. gbs is not the forum to expect people to have put in actual thought on their political opinions. cspam and d&d both exist and you can post your thoughts there, this thread is for every day poo poo.

I do get what your saying, but, DND and C-SPAM are for everdayers and zealots. Why can't we have a regular conversation about things that are political in GBS?
I know you aren't paid, but it is your job to MODerate those things. Kicking down the line isn't moderating

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
I am personally sorry to have started such a derail with a passing side-gripe I wanted to make about finding out a product I had been consuming was associated with a right-wing genocidal movement. It was a way in which I had noticed something being shittier, but I did not intend to poo poo up the thread.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Uhg gently caress this I'm gonna delete all my streaming apps and start a hobby like gardening or painting or an onlyfans

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

I am personally sorry to have started such a derail with a passing side-gripe I wanted to make about finding out a product I had been consuming was associated with a right-wing genocidal movement. It was a way in which I had noticed something being shittier, but I did not intend to poo poo up the thread.

Unfortunately the moderation of Internet forums is another thing that has become full of shittiness

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Armacham posted:

Unfortunately the moderation of Internet forums is another thing that has become full of shittiness

There is a weird place, over 20 years old, that has bucked this trend, generally. However one must understand that moderation of any discussion, especially one as charged as an occupation that has lasted almost a century, is going to be difficult and moderators are just regular people with extra buttons to push.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The problem is that anyone who does that job for free is either power hungry, or an idiot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Armacham posted:

Soda stream is Israeli so that's enough for me to boycott them anyway.

Aww gently caress didn't know that.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Don't worry though, they closed the sweatshops and fired all of the Palestinians.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

The new ones are so poorly made we've had two break themselves just pressing the lever against the pressure in the bottle. The little CO2 cylinders are so expensive compared to even small cylinders for home brewing, so that's what I use instead now.

I'm gonna have to look into this. Already looking into ways to refill the cartridges myself, so at least I don't give more money to Sodastream. I have a big CO2 bottle for welding but apparently this works on liquid co2 and needs a siphon tube. Looks like an extinguisher can do as a cheaper CO2 source.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You do want food grade gas. You don't want traces of whatever process chemicals to be squirted into your soda. I wouldn't use a welding cylinder tbh.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm gonna have to look into this. Already looking into ways to refill the cartridges myself, so at least I don't give more money to Sodastream. I have a big CO2 bottle for welding but apparently this works on liquid co2 and needs a siphon tube. Looks like an extinguisher can do as a cheaper CO2 source.

AGA has cartridges but the issue is for here is when you get the discounted refills from the supermarket, they’re SodaStream branded. Which is bonkers because AGA was Swedish owned, now German, why the gently caress are we not using those for refills instead?

I do wonder if it’s particular to where I get them refilled and my local ICA is just going with what may be easier, because I know I’ve gotten AGA refills in the past.

Anyhow, there are alternatives that are food safe, just gotta look for em. Coincidentally SodaStream is how I learned about BDS initially.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As for lovely thing: Meta I’m glad you have threads, but showing me intentionally ragebait posts on IG to entice me to use Threads is a massive deterrent.

The problem with Twitter wasn’t that it was not owned by Meta, it’s the whole “all engagement is good engagement even if it’s calling for genocide” bit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

teen witch posted:

AGA has cartridges but the issue is for here is when you get the discounted refills from the supermarket, they’re SodaStream branded. Which is bonkers because AGA was Swedish owned, now German, why the gently caress are we not using those for refills instead?

I do wonder if it’s particular to where I get them refilled and my local ICA is just going with what may be easier, because I know I’ve gotten AGA refills in the past.

Anyhow, there are alternatives that are food safe, just gotta look for em. Coincidentally SodaStream is how I learned about BDS initially.

I found there are bottles of another brand called Wassermaxx for sale locally, which are sodastream compatible and a refill of those is 4.90€ which feel pretty acceptable, though I bet if I calculated the price / kg compared to my 6kg welding gas bottle it'd be more expensive.

But at least then I won't be giving more money to Sodastream.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And speaking of enshittification, having to use an app to park. I just got reminded of that because I got an SMS from EasyPark saying they've had a data intrusion and my personal information got stolen.

It suure is a sensible and good idea to have to use a loving app to park your car. It makes me long for cash back.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

God I hate saying this but we need QCS back.

It's been back since February.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Definitely go for food grade CO2 as mentioned. I tried refilling canisters and personally thought it wasn't worth it, it was fairly time consuming and pretty easy to mess up and accidentally waste a bunch of CO2. Check out local home brew stores, last I checked here roughly $30aud for a refill of a 2.6kg cylinder was pretty common, but obviously your own market may be completely different. You can also get adaptor hoses to connect standard size gas bottles to soda stream machines, but I haven't tried them personally.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Welp, getting rid of Prime is gunna be my new years resolution I think.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

After my last post about how bad Hulu has gotten, I got a VPN and canceled all my streaming subscriptions except for Prime (I order a lot from Amazon) and HBO (it comes with my ISP for some reason). It's wild that if I want to watch something on Amazon, I'm incentivized not to use their service. Free and fast shipping isn't even much of a differentiator for Amazon any more. I should probably just cancel my Prime account

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We have YoutubeTV because my wife demands some sort of cabletv access. I sat down and tried watching it live over the holidays. Every 8m:30s of programming they would show 4m:45s of commercials. 14 commercials per break. An hour and a half movie took two and a half hours to air. What the christ.

You don't even get ad free Youtube with YoutubeTV!

Edit: I think this breaks FCC rules!

quote:

Cable operators may transmit no more than 10.5 minutes of commercial matter per hour during children's programming on weekends and no more than 12 minutes of commercial matter per hour on weekdays. Cable systems must maintain records available for public inspection which document compliance with the rule.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 27, 2023

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
It feels like Spotifys shuffling has continually gotten worse or they added some stupid ai poo poo to it. I’ve got a couple of playlists of a few hundred songs and while it’s never been great lately I feel like it always shuffles the same songs into the top of the order.

Please stop playing Juicy Spotify I beg you there’s like 300 other songs in this list

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

teen witch posted:

As for lovely thing: Meta I’m glad you have threads, but showing me intentionally ragebait posts on IG to entice me to use Threads is a massive deterrent.

The problem with Twitter wasn’t that it was not owned by Meta, it’s the whole “all engagement is good engagement even if it’s calling for genocide” bit.

I like instagram because I can follow a lot of cool homesteading accounts and the update to try and push threads just made me delete my threads account. Every single linked threads post was either super racist or extremely transphobic, or in many cases some unhinged Zionist take

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I'd get rid of prime but their cloud storage for photography is still really cheap, presumably because so few people use it that it's not worth Amazon's time to get rid of. Does anybody know of an alternative cloud storage provider that allows 50+ TB of .cr2s for $10/mo?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cerekk posted:

I'd get rid of prime but their cloud storage for photography is still really cheap, presumably because so few people use it that it's not worth Amazon's time to get rid of. Does anybody know of an alternative cloud storage provider that allows 50+ TB of .cr2s for $10/mo?

Good luck migrating 50Tb of anything between 2 cloud providers.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Salt Fish posted:

Good luck migrating 50Tb of anything between 2 cloud providers.

I have it all in local storage too, it's just emergency storage. (Amazon *has* made sure to make their interface clunky enough that it's not useful to professionals that need to access their photos in a timely manner).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I found there are bottles of another brand called Wassermaxx for sale locally, which are sodastream compatible and a refill of those is 4.90€ which feel pretty acceptable, though I bet if I calculated the price / kg compared to my 6kg welding gas bottle it'd be more expensive.

But at least then I won't be giving more money to Sodastream.

Yes! That’s the brand name! We bought bottles compatible with our machine and they’ve worked like a charm.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I like instagram because I can follow a lot of cool homesteading accounts and the update to try and push threads just made me delete my threads account. Every single linked threads post was either super racist or extremely transphobic, or in many cases some unhinged Zionist take

Likewise, IG is my main social media platform and that’s fine! But gee posts saying everything but explicit 14 words is not a great way to advertise a social media platform. I really don’t understand who thinks that seeing this poo poo makes anyone want to engage. Hell, any of the Twitter-a-like platforms seem uniquely lovely.

So IG it is, and IG it shall remain.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ubereats used to be the best app for finding a place that serves a specific dish because the "restaurants" tab shows dishes matching words directly. it still does that but now it's sorted by Algorithm with no regard for your search term, so you can scroll for 45 seconds before seeing a place a mile away with your exact thing on the menu.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Welp, just got hit with "Adblockers are not allowed on YouTube!!!" popup for the first time ever. And, of course, for an ad-free experience, I can pay them money. You know, like I've been doing with Prime and Max. Let me just open up these "change of service" emails and see how thats goin...hmmm

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

teen witch posted:

Likewise, IG is my main social media platform and that’s fine! But gee posts saying everything but explicit 14 words is not a great way to advertise a social media platform. I really don’t understand who thinks that seeing this poo poo makes anyone want to engage. Hell, any of the Twitter-a-like platforms seem uniquely lovely.

So IG it is, and IG it shall remain.

Yeah I got another dumb “white men are the most oppressed class in America” threads suggestion today and of course all the other ones in the carousel were bigotry.

Are there Safari extensions that I can use to clean up instagram, the same way there are some that clean up YouTube? I think I’m gonna ditch the IG app entirely except for when I check messages. It’s just….way too crappy to use the app nowadays.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

It was nuts, describing how each department competed with one another, to the point they sabotaged each other at the expense of the store, and there were meetings where department heads refused to share laptops or projectors during tech hiccups. It sounded like Rapture but the CEO thought it was perfection.

Not sure if this is the same article, but the whole thing is pretty crazy.

quote:

He radically restructured operations, splitting the company into thirty, and later forty, different units that were to compete against each other. Instead of cooperating, as in a normal firm, divisions such as apparel, tools, appliances, human resources, IT and branding were now in essence to operate as autonomous businesses, each with their own president, board of directors, chief marketing officer and statement of profit or loss.

And so if the apparel division wanted to use the services of IT or human resources, they had to sign contracts with them, or alternately to use outside contractors if it would improve the financial performance of the unit—regardless of whether it would improve the performance of the company as a whole. Kimes tells the story of how Sears’s widely trusted appliance brand, Kenmore, was divided between the appliance division and the branding division. The former had to pay fees to the latter for any transaction. But selling non-Sears-branded appliances was more profitable to the appliances division, so they began to offer more prominent in-store placement to rivals of Kenmore products, undermining overall profitability.

Ultimately, the different units decided to simply take care of their own profits, the company as a whole be damned. One former executive, Shaunak Dave, described a culture of “warring tribes,” and an elimination of cooperation and collaboration. One business press wag described Lampert’s regime as “running Sears like the Coliseum.” Kimes, for her part, wrote that if there were any book to which the model conformed, it was less Atlas Shrugged than it was The Hunger Games.

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/news/4385-failing-to-plan-how-ayn-rand-destroyed-sears

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Welp, just got hit with "Adblockers are not allowed on YouTube!!!" popup for the first time ever. And, of course, for an ad-free experience, I can pay them money. You know, like I've been doing with Prime and Max. Let me just open up these "change of service" emails and see how thats goin...hmmm

For you and anyone else getting this messhae ublock origin blocks it perfectly. You just got to go into the settings and hit 'clear.cache' and 'update' (moght not be the exact terms) when you start getting messages. The two buttons are right at the top of the settings page.

I've only had to do that twice so far and haven't neen bothered in about a month.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

buglord posted:

Are there Safari extensions that I can use to clean up instagram, the same way there are some that clean up YouTube?

same place that has blinker fluid

based on what I’m seeing among my friends and Reddit, everyone’s pretty disgusted at this method of advertising a new platform which I suppose is good?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Not sure if this is the same article, but the whole thing is pretty crazy.

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/news/4385-failing-to-plan-how-ayn-rand-destroyed-sears

That is batshit insane.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That is batshit insane.

First time hearing about libertarians, huh?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That is batshit insane.
It all worked out great for Eddie Lampert though, so what’s the problem?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not the article, but has the same content

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MrTargetPractice posted:

For you and anyone else getting this messhae ublock origin blocks it perfectly. You just got to go into the settings and hit 'clear.cache' and 'update' (moght not be the exact terms) when you start getting messages. The two buttons are right at the top of the settings page.

I've only had to do that twice so far and haven't neen bothered in about a month.

This doesn't work for me, it worked for a day, now it never works. I have to use FreeTube (Windows app only AFAIK), which works 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Silicon Valley has always had a strong affinity for Ayn Rand. That sorta explains this whole thread.