Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

I picked this game up on sale for about $20 on Steam last week and have put maybe five or so hours into it. I'm not sure what to make of it. My computer can run it maxed out at 1440P well in the 80-100FPS range and the game is gorgeous. The landscape, characters, the details and such, are all truly "next gen" in a way that I only see comparable to a maxed out Cyberpunk.

As for the gameplay, it's very slow and deliberate. I never had a console to play the first Red Dead (thought I may now get it for Switch) so I have nothing to compare it to other than GTA IV and V. It seems like a game where, if I'm just trying to binge it to finish the story, I'm going to be constantly annoyed. But it also feels like a game where if I take my time and relax and just soak in the atmosphere, it's an incredible experience. Is that more or less true?

For reference, I've only just gotten to the little Valentine town or whatever it's called. I choked a man to death in his underwear, and then got into a full on bar-brawl and thrown out of a window. This is good poo poo!

Absolutely. This game is more of a marathon than a sprint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3Z5zhNjDk

I bought the book from this guy in my first run but never went back to talk to him. I love this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How’s the first game hold up? Is the Switch port decent?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

chaosapiant posted:

How’s the first game hold up? Is the Switch port decent?

Played it on ps5 before the 60fps patch and it definitely holds up. I've heard the switch port is pretty much on par to the pre-patch ps4/5 version

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I too picked up RDR2 on the steam sale. I nearly 100%'ed the game on PS4 back in 2020, and was level 200+ or something silly on RD Online.

Opening it up on maxed out ultra settings on my PC and holy god drat gently caress I've fallen for this game all over again. It's gorgeous.

It's going to be a blast replaying the single player game. However starting from scratch on online sort of blows.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In the town of Valentines, I picked up a side quest to interview some legendary gun slingers to validate a sleeping man’s achievements.

Is that whole initial conversation an homage to the movie “Unforgiven?” The part with Gene Hackman talking to the book writing dude?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Difficult not to imagine what this team could do with Elite: Dangerous or Starfield if they had one of them to themselves for a couple years. C'mon guys, shark cards in space, let's get it on

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Starting with Cuba this game has gone from mission to cinematic to mission to cinematic for what seems like two hours and saves are still locked out. I want to be able to turn the goddamn thing off for a while.

EDIT:

FINALLY.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 25, 2023

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
my favorite part is the gameplay between cutscenes where the only thing you can do is walk forward to proceed directly to the next cutscene

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's the Rockstar touch. I'm stealing a point from NakeyJakey, but the mission structure where you're led by the nose really conflicts with the open world cowboy simulator.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ploots posted:

my favorite part is the gameplay between cutscenes where the only thing you can do is walk forward to proceed directly to the next cutscene

And if you dare walk left or walk right when the mission wants you to proceed forward, the screen’ll go gray, mission failed, you didn’t successfully tie an onion to your belt

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That section is kinda neat once but yeah it is not playing to the game’s strengths.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Well that's fuckin depressing. :smith:

EDIT: I'm at like 62% completed. This game is going to outlive me.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 27, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ending: "I gave you all I had." Yeah, that hurt to hear. I did not expect such a good story when getting into this game. drat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Absolutely. This game is more of a marathon than a sprint

Yeah, this. The game asks you you immerse yourself into it, and essentially live as Arthur, doing real like poo poo like eating, bathing, and interacting with it from that point of view

If you are able to vibe with it and do that, this game has no peers on almost any level. The story and performance of it are still top of the pack, the graphics are only hamstrung at this point by not having modern features like raytracing, and it doesn't really need them to look good, it's incredible, it would look unbelievable with them. The open world is also basically the best in class. If you see something and go there, you'll probably find something to do or investigate there.

The term I'd use for this game is deliberate, and that also has some significant limitations associated with it. You have to do missions how they say in most situations. You might be able to go in the front door instead of the back but you have to go in the building, you can't just stand miles away and shoot a rocket at it like you might have in San Andreas. It lets them account for a poo poo tonne of things too. If you think I wonder if they'll say something about what happened there, odds are someone will say something about how you did a thing.

That deliberate pacing of the game definitely isn't for everyone though and will be insurmountable for some. If you want to play this game like Cowboy Vanquish, you might as well turn it off straight away. If you want to spend an hour and find some plants to make a bait, ride up the mountain to hunt a bear, skin it and then use the pelt to make a cloak and give the meat to your camp to have better stew for a while, this game is the best game ever.

GTA6 being like RDR2 would piss off loads of people and I don't know if they should make it like RDR2, but I would absolutely love it if it had the same design ethos.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't care who creates the next iteration but I dearly wish for more games in this vein, because as you say, it's best in (and only entry in?) its class, and certainly I've never played a game so detailed, immersive and yeah, deliberate

I played two games in 2021 that seemed to herald whole new genres, or at least revolutionary refinements of old ones: RDR2 and Disco Elysium. I hope they're not one offs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think the issue is that for someone to create the next iteration they have to have $100+ million and several years to develop it and almost every studio with that kind of money and talent to throw around is going to chase Fortnite bucks with it instead

Also, game pretty

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only people with the time, money and freedom from their publisher to make a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 is Rockstar, who either are making one right now in GTA 6 or might make one after GTA 6 is out, if GTA Online 2 proves to be a money printing machine like GTA Online 1.

Bit sad really, but I'd be legit happy if you could actually obey traffic rules in GTA 6 without the other traffic getting pissed off at you like they do in existing GTAs. Not that you should be forced to do that at all, of course, but that sort of immerse yourself, act like IRL kinda poo poo has a place in GTA like it did in RDR2.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 27, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Wolfsheim posted:

I think the issue is that for someone to create the next iteration they have to have $100+ million and several years to develop it and almost every studio with that kind of money and talent to throw around is going to chase Fortnite bucks with it instead

Also, game pretty

RDR2's one of those rare (for me) games where I'll just stand and look around aimlessly to take the scenery in before going on. Especially whenever I'm in Ambarino.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That deliberate pacing of the game definitely isn't for everyone though and will be insurmountable for some. If you want to play this game like Cowboy Vanquish, you might as well turn it off straight away. If you want to spend an hour and find some plants to make a bait, ride up the mountain to hunt a bear, skin it and then use the pelt to make a cloak and give the meat to your camp to have better stew for a while, this game is the best game ever.

One of my favourite bits of “related media” with RDR2 was a random supercut video of a whole lot of different streamers. Every single one of them started off as XD LOL HAHA GRAND THEFT HORSE OMG LOL XD, by mid game they were completely immersed in Arthur, and of course by the end literally every one of them was a sobbing wreck

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowboy Vanquish sounds cool as hell, ngl

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Technically this series is about the vanquishing of the cowboys I suppose

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Cowboy Vanquish sounds cool as hell, ngl

[Anything] Vanquish and I'd be in tbh

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Got the itch to play this game again on PC after getting a new computer rig (only got to around 30% completion last time).

I had a random guy try to steal my beloved horse earlier, so I was not feeling particularly charitable with giving lifts to strangers from then on. Then, on my way to Strawberry, some maudlin guy asks me for a ride, so I instinctively pull out my gun and tell him to get the hell away from me.

He runs away screaming, so from there I rush into town hoping to get on with the next mission. I wasn't paying attention, so I plowed full speed into two guys on horses riding next to each other. This caused them to get pissed off and I end up starting a shootout with them.

It may seem a bit dry writing it out like this, but having all of this happen back to back was absolutely hilarious in the moment and made me burst out laughing. I love how this game can just pile on absurdity one after the other, either intentionally or as emergent gameplay.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had a choice between a Micah mission and one with the Reverend so I chose the newly sober Reverend. The cinematic starts and just as the characters begin to converse Dutch barges over with his latest bad idea and sweeps Arthur off to more death and destruction. :argh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Got the itch to play this game again on PC after getting a new computer rig (only got to around 30% completion last time).

I had a random guy try to steal my beloved horse earlier, so I was not feeling particularly charitable with giving lifts to strangers from then on. Then, on my way to Strawberry, some maudlin guy asks me for a ride, so I instinctively pull out my gun and tell him to get the hell away from me.

He runs away screaming, so from there I rush into town hoping to get on with the next mission. I wasn't paying attention, so I plowed full speed into two guys on horses riding next to each other. This caused them to get pissed off and I end up starting a shootout with them.

It may seem a bit dry writing it out like this, but having all of this happen back to back was absolutely hilarious in the moment and made me burst out laughing. I love how this game can just pile on absurdity one after the other, either intentionally or as emergent gameplay.

An accidental nudge of someone with your horse cascading into a shootout across half the state, frantically hiding from the law and sheepishly paying hundreds of $$$ in bounties is an essential RDR2 experience

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

webmeister posted:

An accidental nudge of someone with your horse cascading into a shootout across half the state, frantically hiding from the law and sheepishly paying hundreds of $$$ in bounties is an essential RDR2 experience

Some misguided fools describe this as a flaw of the game

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, it's both. It's a slow, deliberate, extremely expansive and beautifully realised open world game that also happens to have one of the greatest stories and best cast of characters in the history of videogames

Give it the time it deserves. You will honestly be richly rewarded

Yeah, I think I got burned out the first time because I came in expecting to bang out mission after mission like in GTA or even RDR1 and got annoyed by the tedious "Wild West Shenmue" slowness.

Now, I'm taking my time and letting it all sink in more and I'm finding it way more enjoyable. It also helps that I'm playing it on a big OLED monitor with a new desktop PC instead of a laptop, too, but that's besides the point.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I get a bit frustrated starting over, since pretty essential mechanics are locked behind story progression. I just want to fish, goddammit.

I also messed up getting the Hungarian halfbred from Wróbel by doing that mission before the Hosea mission that teaches you about removing saddles and using the stable, so the horse bugged out on me. I could ride it and pick weapons, but not whistle for it.

Later on I captured the snake oil salesman and what do you know, he also had a Hungarian halfbred that I stole. Registered her at a stable, named her Hintaló (Hungarian for rocking horse), and now she's my friend.

Swings and roundabouts.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I named my white Arabian Mayoneighs

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Philippe posted:

I get a bit frustrated starting over, since pretty essential mechanics are locked behind story progression. I just want to fish, goddammit.

Yeah, you need to free roam in Chapter 3 really.

This has the added benefit of having almost all mechanics unlocked and the cost of having to bail Micah out of jail and catching TB. You might be able to avoid that first bit and get fishing though...

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 6, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No, A Fisher of Men doesn't unlock until after you've saved Micah (after you've done the first bit of Pouring Oil).

I'm not even doing much free roaming. Just riding the trails around the Heartlands and Cumberland Falls, enjoying the rhythmic badunk badunk of horse hooves against dirt. Sometimes I see a pronghorn that I shoot and have for dinner, or do some birdwatching.

Fishing is pretty important for that vibe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A shame on that unlock order.

Just going around living a life is one of the best bits of the game. The mods that give you needs meters or jobs for hunting, barkeeping and such add to that RP vibe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just got to that bit on my save and you definitely can go get Fisher of Man before Micah's jailbreak.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Best camp moment in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2G3WyvpDRE

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I've just got to that bit on my save and you definitely can go get Fisher of Man before Micah's jailbreak.

Well what do you know.

I installed mods on my first playthrough (nothing weird, just a hunting wagon and dog), and the mission icons went away until I reloaded the game. Is that a known issue? It's been holding me back from doing more of them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Philippe posted:

Well what do you know.

I installed mods on my first playthrough (nothing weird, just a hunting wagon and dog), and the mission icons went away until I reloaded the game. Is that a known issue? It's been holding me back from doing more of them.

It's quite probable that they triggered an on mission flag somehow.

I know the infinite bounty hunting missions, gang hideout and jobs mods do interface with mission flags, but the mods nowadays seem more well made so an older set of mods would be more janky i think.
Of those named mods, I've not encountered issues other than gang hideouts being where missions occur but you can disable any hideouts from spawning where a mission occurs (e.g. wrobels house)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I made my way over to Saint Denis for the first time today. I have no idea why I didn't do this last playthrough, this town is amazing! There's even vaudeville! The detail in this game is incredible.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I made my way over to Saint Denis for the first time today. I have no idea why I didn't do this last playthrough, this town is amazing! There's even vaudeville! The detail in this game is incredible.

Make sure you check out a show with Arthur and shout approval constantly - it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's quite probable that they triggered an on mission flag somehow.

I know the infinite bounty hunting missions, gang hideout and jobs mods do interface with mission flags, but the mods nowadays seem more well made so an older set of mods would be more janky i think.
Of those named mods, I've not encountered issues other than gang hideouts being where missions occur but you can disable any hideouts from spawning where a mission occurs (e.g. wrobels house)

Ah okay. I did the modding thing two years ago, presumably things have gotten better since then.

Does the survival mod work well with the vanilla game? That one seems very interesting to me (I love taking good care of my Arthur).