Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just bought Dusk,Amid Evil, and Ultrakill for $30. Never played them before. Merry Xmas to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

Isn't the BFG also good in Quake 2?

Q2 BFG is probably my favourite BFG (although the Q4 BFG is also pretty neat).

Doom BFG has great gunfeel but the actual mechanics are just super weird and unintuitive. Like, IIRC, when you pull the trigger:
- there's a brief delay while it charges
- the green ball comes out and drifts forward in a leisurely fashion
- when it hits something, it explodes for a wildly variable amount of damage (100-800, I think?) vs only the thing it hit, with no splash damage at all
- there's another brief delay
- then a shitload of tracers are fired in a wide fan, from the player, in whatever direction they originally fired the ball, regardless of how they've moved or where they're looking since firing it, with each tracer doing like 50-100 damage

So if you just fire it into a big room and watch the results it looks like an AoE blast weapon with a really wide radius of effect, but then you start getting weird, frustrating outcomes like firing the ball into a room and then ducking around a corner doing jack poo poo, because the ball has no splash damage and all the tracers hit the wall. I'm not sure how you're meant to figure out this behaviour in-game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chaosapiant posted:

I just bought Dusk,Amid Evil, and Ultrakill for $30. Never played them before. Merry Xmas to me!

You're set for a while. Maybe months depending on how you take to Ultrakill. I call it the New blood trinity because it's pretty much the father, son and holy spirit of retro/throwback shooters. I love them all so much. If they ever released a physical box set for some reason, I'm there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ToxicFrog posted:

Q2 BFG is probably my favourite BFG (although the Q4 BFG is also pretty neat).

Doom BFG has great gunfeel but the actual mechanics are just super weird and unintuitive. Like, IIRC, when you pull the trigger:
- there's a brief delay while it charges
- the green ball comes out and drifts forward in a leisurely fashion
- when it hits something, it explodes for a wildly variable amount of damage (100-800, I think?) vs only the thing it hit, with no splash damage at all
- there's another brief delay
- then a shitload of tracers are fired in a wide fan, from the player, in whatever direction they originally fired the ball, regardless of how they've moved or where they're looking since firing it, with each tracer doing like 50-100 damage

So if you just fire it into a big room and watch the results it looks like an AoE blast weapon with a really wide radius of effect, but then you start getting weird, frustrating outcomes like firing the ball into a room and then ducking around a corner doing jack poo poo, because the ball has no splash damage and all the tracers hit the wall. I'm not sure how you're meant to figure out this behaviour in-game.

For the longest time, like until I saw decino's video about it, I thought the tracers were fired from the ball on impact and you were just immune to it.

edit it honestly feels like a coding error that didn't get noticed and is now grandfathered in

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Doom BFG has great gunfeel but the actual mechanics are just super weird and unintuitive. Like, IIRC, when you pull the trigger:..

Look that's just how BFG's work in real life and the doom guys just made sure to accurately model it in the game. :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

For the longest time, like until I saw decino's video about it, I thought the tracers were fired from the ball on impact and you were just immune to it.

edit it honestly feels like a coding error that didn't get noticed and is now grandfathered in

Firing the tracers from the ball was likely too computationally expensive at the time. The classic Doom BFG is pretty obviously a bunch of tricks to make it feel cool without obliterating a 486.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doom Eternal's pretty good. It's a lot better than 16. Kind of miraculous how well it plays and looks. Bad at it but who cares, that's why I'm on easiest difficulty :cool:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

repiv posted:

the second game by mr. cruelty squad now has a steam page for your enjoyment

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1907590/Psycho_Patrol_R/

:vince:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

repiv posted:

:f5:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Doom Eternal's pretty good. It's a lot better than 16. Kind of miraculous how well it plays and looks. Bad at it but who cares, that's why I'm on easiest difficulty :cool:

You're better than you might think given how difficulty works in Doom 5

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

:same:

my opinion on it definitely improved once i upgraded a bit and lowered the difficulty. also the 'fast executions' rune was a gamechanger!

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 26, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

repiv posted:

lol

I'm so excited for it - Cruelty Squad was far and away my game of the year for 2021.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 26, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlU0BcB8DSM

Recently I released "Braunes Haus", a standalone map for the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D, as a Christmas gift for the community. I initially designed this map for a "FreeWolf" project headed by BlakeMaster but decided to also make it a standalone release (especially considering the track record of free iwad remakes :v:). It contains GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files for shareware Wolf3D and batch files to run the map (it takes the E1M7 slot), a .wad file for playing with ECWolf, and map files in WDC and MapEdit format for importing into registered Wolf3D. Be warned--this level will kick your rear end on Death Incarnate!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Barudak posted:

You're better than you might think given how difficulty works in Doom 5

I'm sure I am and I know I could play it on a higher difficulty and probably substantially. But I'm an Ultrakill boy, and I don't think I got time to devote to another frustratingly difficult fast paced fps. That is something I wish was a little different, movement speed could be quicker. Anyway, how does difficulty work in it?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I happily play Doom Eternal on the lower difficulties and with a controller, on my PC. It feels and plays perfectly. The lower diffs are more fun to me because I've got more leeway to make mistakes and don't have to constantly focus on weapon switch combos or weak points if I don't want to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm sure I am and I know I could play it on a higher difficulty and probably substantially. But I'm an Ultrakill boy, and I don't think I got time to devote to another frustratingly difficult fast paced fps. That is something I wish was a little different, movement speed could be quicker. Anyway, how does difficulty work in it?

IIRC difficulty doesnt change enemy health or damage*, it changes enemies "tokens" for lack of a better word to do stuff. So the difference between low and high difficulty is the pace at which enemies do things, which is why at a high level it feels exhausting because enemies actually are relentless compared to lower difficulty, but also means a low difficulty player has the right fundamentals

* I think Ultraviolence adds enemies to some waves, with everything else being the same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just beat Sigil on UV and can only conclude that health packs once did something hurtful to John Romero

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I just beat Sigil on UV and can only conclude that health packs once did something hurtful to John Romero

They stole a cacodemon away from him once

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Barudak posted:

IIRC difficulty doesnt change enemy health or damage*, it changes enemies "tokens" for lack of a better word to do stuff. So the difference between low and high difficulty is the pace at which enemies do things, which is why at a high level it feels exhausting because enemies actually are relentless compared to lower difficulty, but also means a low difficulty player has the right fundamentals

* I think Ultraviolence adds enemies to some waves, with everything else being the same.

So is it automatically adjusting or something so if I was worse it would be easier or something?

I may be stupid. Video games have rotted my brain. Doom in particular is bad for you

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Barudak posted:

For DOOM Eternal? In terms of Heavies/Super Heavies, it's the same amounts per wave/arena. I am 99% sure you get same amount of fodder as well, but it MIGHT spawn a couple less on IDWTD.

Armour/HP/Ammo tokens gives double amounts on IDWTD, so the Flame Belch/Blood Punch/Chainsaw loop is not as pronounced, and slows everything down a bit.
Heavies/Super Heavies certainly have an attack speed reduction, and maaaaybe projectile speed reduction.

The big thing (I noticed) was that on Nightmare - everything is going to run you down / shoot at your face 0.00001 seconds after they spawn; knowing what spawns, and WHERE it spawns (some have random spawn points, but most are static) will make you live longer. But DOOM isn't a memorization game, so don't do this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What is this? O_o
https://giochipenosi.itch.io/grezzodue-2

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
From PC Gamer: It was another great year for boomer shooters, but can we call them something else now?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Throwback shooter is what I've done everything I could to get stick but alas I'm just one extremely cool person

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I will say that one of my favourite things about this thread (and others like the Steam thread) is that “OMG call them something else!” chat is extremely minimal. There are other places around the web where it’s impossible to even talk about individual games in this genre without a bunch of people immediately derailing about the genre name (hello, Resetera)

That PC Gamer article is pretty much just a summary of the genres output through 2023. Should probably have just stuck with the more celebratory part of the title and dropped the other bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like Boomer Shooter because I like guns that make big Booms and leave Gibs everywhere

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Unless a term is legitimately offensive and hurtful, any iteration of the "please call this genre something else" debate always makes me want to shove someone into a locker. And that's saying a lot for me, who gets team-sports anxiety about online FPSes.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

We’re years into this now. Retro FPS, throwback shooters, boomer shooters.. we’re all thinking of the exact same games when we hear any of them regardless.

By which I mean Blood 2: The Chosen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bumhead posted:

We’re years into this now. Retro FPS, throwback shooters, boomer shooters.. we’re all thinking of the exact same games when we hear any of them regardless.

By which I mean Blood 2: The Chosen.

Finally, it is time, for Blood 3

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I'm going to start calling them Doom Clones again

Yes, even for the Quake and Half Life clones

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Unless a term is legitimately offensive and hurtful, any iteration of the "please call this genre something else" debate always makes me want to shove someone into a locker. And that's saying a lot for me, who gets team-sports anxiety about online FPSes.

There was a time when all the games bloggers were mad about “walking sim” but couldn’t actually come up with an alternative

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m gonna split the difference and call them boom clones

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, the key difference is if they are gameplay-centric or narrative-centric. The whole thing of calling them 'retro shooter' or 'boomer shooter' is just referring to the former. The thing is... isn't like the market is saturated with single player narrative first person shooters right now (which was the latest big one, Metro Exodus? the lasttest Halo??), with the indie shooter scene, gameplay-centric FPS is again the 'default', if we count by pure numbers to know what type are the majority.
So I think we can call them again just 'First Person Shooters', instead of boomer shooters, and invent a new term for the minority of narrative-centric fps.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

There was a time when all the games bloggers were mad about “walking sim” but couldn’t actually come up with an alternative

Did anyone suggest “Boring Shite”?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Did anyone suggest “Boring Shite”?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlU0BcB8DSM

Recently I released "Braunes Haus", a standalone map for the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D, as a Christmas gift for the community. I initially designed this map for a "FreeWolf" project headed by BlakeMaster but decided to also make it a standalone release (especially considering the track record of free iwad remakes :v:). It contains GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files for shareware Wolf3D and batch files to run the map (it takes the E1M7 slot), a .wad file for playing with ECWolf, and map files in WDC and MapEdit format for importing into registered Wolf3D. Be warned--this level will kick your rear end on Death Incarnate!

i struggle to play wolf3d these days, but well done, this looks good!

edit: also i recently came across NotBlood, a fork of NBlood which includes a load of cool mutators including the option to switch all hitscan attacks to projectiles with three speed levels. it also includes three mirror modes (horizontal, vertical, horizontal and vertical):

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 27, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I like "boom shoot" because it sounds juvenile and silly but also adequately describes the contents of the games

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1740056628911841401
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii01jlv_UPk
Dumb title but that's a very stacked lineup, Danny putting that VC crypto money to good use.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

What "innovation since Doom"?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Smashing crates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Prophet of Nixon posted:

What "innovation since Doom"?

More realistic toilets