Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I don't want Blade to be my friend

different strokes for different folks, but you're weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you make him your friend he will stab things harder for you

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I think if there's one thing that makes me drop a game the hardest is if I have to text other characters.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Blade is my best friend and when we work out together he tells me I'm a Good Boy Superhero Guy and I feel great.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Speaking of xcom, is Phoenix Point good enough yet with fan fixes?

I don't know about any fan fixes or such, but it's good enough as it is for how much they are asking for it in the sale.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nyaa posted:

It's fine.
I backed it and the only thing I can say about it is that it's fine.

Also, I'm never backing anything ever again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Blade's whole arc with Carol was amazing

Captain America: I don't know how to say this but I think Blade only started this book club to impress me

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another fun smaller XCOM-like is Phantom Doctrine, which is basically XCOM but you're running a spy ring at the height of the cold war. There's a pretty big focus on stealth and fairly high-lethality short-range combat. It also does a neat thing where RNG barely factors into combat, your attacks always hit and the main variable is how much damage you're doing, so you can always tell ahead of time whether an attack will take down an enemy or not. Combat is mostly about managing a resource called Awareness, which absorbs incoming damage (representing the character dodging or taking cover), but can also be used to take certain actions. You could e.g. have your sniper take her time to set up a lethal headshot, but that uses up her awareness and in turn leaves her vulnerable to return fire.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Theres also Massive Chalice, but it's def not as good as XCOM.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been interested in Midnight Suns and I know the January Humble Choice is going to have it, but typically that would be the version with no DLC. I noticed that GMG has the 'Legendary Edition' with the season pass for like $26 (or you can get it for close to $20 on the epic game store with the coupon). I don't really care about cosmetic DLC but the DLC does include 4 new heroes (looks like Storm, Deadpool, Morbius, and Venom) and I kind of want them if the game is good. Are the new characters / DLC good enough to justify just buying the legendary edition? The cheapest I see the season pass otherwise is like $17 and the characters are like $15 a piece.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

That's funny but the game certainly has "korean mmo" written all over it, so I definitely see it.

Yeep. The only reason the multiplayer hub, arena fights and some other stuff were completed later (despite the change in direction) is because it was in the early access pitch and they didn't want to let people down who had bought into it on account of that. The devs are pretty dedicated :3:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
More like ShartPunk

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I've played Max Payne 3 to death. Is there a good shooter of a similar ilk? Doesn't need to have the shootdodge/slow mo, but that kinda "wading through urban environments killing crusty dudes" kinda feel would be nice.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Phantom Doctrine is good, but can be a bit slow because of the stealth focus. Open combat is possible and sometimes inevitable, but enemies get reinforcements that never stop coming, and the longer you fight, the more heat you generate, which eventually can culminate in your HQ being raided if you don't move to a new location.

Jagged Alliance 3 is an actually good sequel to Jagged Alliance 2, unlike every other Jagged Alliance game in the last 25 years (since JA2). The devs have been pretty consistent with updates and adding new stuff - one of the recent patches added Bobby Ray's Guns 'n' Things (an online store, for guns 'n' things), a feature notably lacking on release.

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children is decent X-COM combat (X-COMbat?) with cool special attacks and mostly fun characters, but it has like eighteen different layers of systems and sub-systems and it feels a little overwhelming sometimes. It also likes to drip-feed new team members at an agonizingly slow pace. The characters are also not actual children, except for one, who used to follow the police around and heal people (she has healing magic). One of the other characters even calls out the main dude for bringing a 14-year-old girl on combat missions. Nothing comes of it, but at least somebody recognized that it's kinda hosed up to be bringing a child to a gunfight.

---

Now for something completely different from X-COM-likes: I've been playing The Matchless Kungfu lately. It's a weird janky poorly-translated early access open-world wuxia game where you play as an aspiring kung-fu master or something. Imagine if Kenshi was even less coherent. You expand the map by placing new tiles, that have quests or villages or faction bases or other stuff, and then you can go explore those tiles and talk to people and get into turn-based kung-fu fights. Combat is basically rock-paper-scissors with punches and kicks, but it looks neat and flashy when it plays out. One of my first quests was to help a farmer who'd been harassed by monkeys who broke into his house, took his food and booze, wrecked the place, and beat him up with kung-fu because of course the monkeys know kung-fu. So I went out to beat up some monkeys, and impressed them so much that one of them showed up later to lead me to a hidden treasure, and I tamed another one who now sits in front of the Drunken Fighting School and begs for money on my behalf. I also have a dog and a human retainer (she showed up one day and basically said "hey, you seem cool, I'm going to follow you around now"). I taught my retainer how to tame animals, and now she also has a dog, as well as a chicken. I joined the drunken fighting school but I can't seem to figure out how to advance in it - I've been helping other students, learned all the drunken school moves that I can, taught a bunch of my fellow students how to do stuff, and the master of the school still says I'm not ready for a promotion. I'm probably missing something because it's either unfinished or poorly/badly translated. There's a lot of translation jank (and other jank), but it's also a charming little game and I can't stop playing.

(picture from the store page)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skulker posted:

I've played Max Payne 3 to death. Is there a good shooter of a similar ilk? Doesn't need to have the shootdodge/slow mo, but that kinda "wading through urban environments killing crusty dudes" kinda feel would be nice.

My favourite urban environment full of crusty-dude targets is Night City, I think!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

My favourite urban environment full of crusty-dude targets is Night City, I think!

With a kerenzikov and sandevistan, you are basically max Payne, too

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a go to tower defence game released in the last year or two that has good graphics and is quick to start and play?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

slidebite posted:

Is there a go to tower defence game released in the last year or two that has good graphics and is quick to start and play?

Orcs Must Die 3 is a good time and like $10 right now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fifty Farts posted:

Now for something completely different from X-COM-likes: I've been playing The Matchless Kungfu lately. It's a weird janky poorly-translated early access open-world wuxia game where you play as an aspiring kung-fu master or something. Imagine if Kenshi was even less coherent. You expand the map by placing new tiles, that have quests or villages or faction bases or other stuff, and then you can go explore those tiles and talk to people and get into turn-based kung-fu fights. Combat is basically rock-paper-scissors with punches and kicks, but it looks neat and flashy when it plays out. One of my first quests was to help a farmer who'd been harassed by monkeys who broke into his house, took his food and booze, wrecked the place, and beat him up with kung-fu because of course the monkeys know kung-fu. So I went out to beat up some monkeys, and impressed them so much that one of them showed up later to lead me to a hidden treasure, and I tamed another one who now sits in front of the Drunken Fighting School and begs for money on my behalf. I also have a dog and a human retainer (she showed up one day and basically said "hey, you seem cool, I'm going to follow you around now"). I taught my retainer how to tame animals, and now she also has a dog, as well as a chicken. I joined the drunken fighting school but I can't seem to figure out how to advance in it - I've been helping other students, learned all the drunken school moves that I can, taught a bunch of my fellow students how to do stuff, and the master of the school still says I'm not ready for a promotion. I'm probably missing something because it's either unfinished or poorly/badly translated. There's a lot of translation jank (and other jank), but it's also a charming little game and I can't stop playing.

(picture from the store page)

This sound pretty awesome. I dug Kenshi years ago but trying to get back into it is just something I don't often have the time or patience for. Does this have a similar thing where it's super inscrutable early on or is the onboarding a bit more relaxed?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

slidebite posted:

Arknights -- /attacked by the mobile games forum, thrown back into the gaol
Arknights is a fantastic tower defense RPG fused with a visual novel that I love intensely and want to recommend BUT it is a mobile game with gacha mechanics and if you cannot control yourself around gambling then run like the wind. I am sworn not to spend money on it and that's working. It helps that AK is very generous (compared to other gachas) and it is extremely possible to win with common units. I have spent way too many hours this year reading about this Command & Conquer with furries setting and then figuring out how to solve stages and leveling up my favorites. It helps that the writing while initially OK gets really good, and there's a lot of thoughtful conversation about politics, discrimination, healthcare systems, and religion.

I'm not hip to the modern tower defenses outside of that one, but a quick list of TDs on steam I wot like:

2112 TD Tower Defense - a mobile port but a surprisingly fun/straightforward tower defense. I enjoy building turrets, upgrading them, and seeing if I can't defeat aliens. Also the lack of a story is weirdly refreshing sometimes.

Variables 2 - how do you feel about poorly translated Chinese experimental tower defense? You design EVERYTHING in this, from the maze itself to the towers and it's really weird.

Infinitode 2 - F2P tower defense. Unfortunately the F2P stuff gets in the way so I haven't spent time on it.

Empire in Ruins - Tower Defense with a light 4X thrown on top, with really crude fantasy writing. I don't like bathroom humor so it's not for me, but the gameplay fusion is really neat.

Ratropolis - TD, roguelite, city-building, cards, too many genres! But the art is really cute. This one never fully worked for me but it's worth a look.

Quantum Protocol - wait why'd I put this in tower defense, it's deck-building with an emphasis on puzzle solving.

GemCraft Frostborn Wrath - I don't know if anything can beat out this gold standard in tower defense. It's huge, fun, fascinating to work on, and plays fast. I shouldn't reinstall it, I'll get lost in it for another dozen hours. If you buy anything on this list, buy this one.

ps it has a prequel on steam Gemcraft Chasing Shadows and it's good too!

Mindustry - what if Factorio but bite-sized and more focused on tower defense and RTS elements? It's cool!

Dungeon Warfare - it and its sequel are really fun trap-focused TDs. I enjoyed the first one more honestly but they're both great and straightforward.

There's a lot more but we're getting even older so I'll assume you know all of them, and only shill my favorite:

Immortal Defense. What happens if someone writes a profound sci-fi story about the perils of living forever, and then put it into a weird Tower Defense? Yeah. This game is still a classic. I love it. Please play it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

An argument can be made that Vampire Survivors is a tower defense, I think.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ooh, thanks folks!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah once you get past the initial iron man poo poo its way less obnoxious. (its also a character problem in the game you can run into and work out)

And yes you can make Hulk go hack the computers

HULK SMASH THE STACK

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay, Midnight Suns' writing is a bit better than your average Marvel schlock. I don't hate it that much. The tutorial has the most annoying parts.

The game really is 60% dating sim/collectathon and 40% tactics combat.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been interested in Midnight Suns and I know the January Humble Choice is going to have it, but typically that would be the version with no DLC. I noticed that GMG has the 'Legendary Edition' with the season pass for like $26 (or you can get it for close to $20 on the epic game store with the coupon). I don't really care about cosmetic DLC but the DLC does include 4 new heroes (looks like Storm, Deadpool, Morbius, and Venom) and I kind of want them if the game is good. Are the new characters / DLC good enough to justify just buying the legendary edition? The cheapest I see the season pass otherwise is like $17 and the characters are like $15 a piece.

It adds the 4 characters, three of which are pretty good in combat - Venom, Morbius, and Storm, and one of which I think is kind of a dud in combat - Deadpool. They all have more research techs that fit in with the meta progression and all four characters are involved in a side story campaign that runs algonside the main story missions. They also include a new enemy faction that will show up in general missions on the world map to offer more variety. If you can get it that cheap I think it's a great addition, but only if you like the base game.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

slidebite posted:

I think Bloons TD 6 is one of the best tower defense game although it's a mobile port. I bought it for like $2 back in the day but it is unfortunately not on sale at all and is harder to recommend for $13. The towers are all monkeys though and who doesn't love that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AngryBooch posted:

It adds the 4 characters, three of which are pretty good in combat - Venom, Morbius, and Storm, and one of which I think is kind of a dud in combat - Deadpool. They all have more research techs that fit in with the meta progression and all four characters are involved in a side story campaign that runs algonside the main story missions. They also include a new enemy faction that will show up in general missions on the world map to offer more variety. If you can get it that cheap I think it's a great addition, but only if you like the base game.

Thanks! Sort of sounds like the characters are a worthwhile addition so I may go ahead and get the legendary edition.

Substandard posted:

I think Bloons TD 6 is one of the best tower defense game although it's a mobile port. I bought it for like $2 back in the day but it is unfortunately not on sale at all and is harder to recommend for $13. The towers are all monkeys though and who doesn't love that.

It was a free giveaway on the epic store at one point or another so if you follow that you may already have it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a minor mechanic, all things considered, but how the gently caress have professional game developers still not learned that morality systems are loving bad?
Midnight Suns has the worst implementation of that too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nyaa posted:

I think it's different enough and good enough that it's worth playing at its sale price if you're interested in it, it's a solid game that tries to innovate but it's not exactly a great game that you'll replay over and over. It leans more X-Com than XCOM and it has some dumb stuff but also some unique stuff, in a lot of ways it's the kind of IP risk-taking that used to be common in games but it mostly lost these days. That doesn't make it a masterpiece or whatever but it got 50 hours out of me across 2 playthroughs :shrug:

e: Caveat: the Festering Skies and Corrupted Horizons DLCs apparently make the game actively worse, and I do not have those DLCs which may have helped with my enjoyment of it. The Legacy of the Ancients and Blood & Titanium DLCs are all around pretty good, and definitely improve the base game experience by adding some neat character options in the form of mutations and cybernetic augments, but aren't absolutely necessary.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 27, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is Far Cry 6 worth $15? I'm kinda hungry for a good looking FPS with some fun villains. How bad is it as far as Ubisoft's "Four million POI's" kinda poo poo though?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ireally like the farcry franchise and it's my least favorite. I have to force myself to play it. I have yet to finish it and gets really grindy with the same poo poo over and over again, but without some of the fun the earlier stories had.

$15 though? Probably decent enough for that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

It's not literal tower defense (you build rts-style auto battling units) but Legion TD2 is really good if you get over the initial learning curve and don't mind the fact that it's a casually-competitive multiplayer game.

Element TD2 is also pretty excellent and it has surprisingly fun co-op but I'm not sure if people still play it. It's good solo too though. I haven't played the devs' new game Axon TD but based on their track record it's probably pretty good too.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 27, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

It's a minor mechanic, all things considered, but how the gently caress have professional game developers still not learned that morality systems are loving bad?
Midnight Suns has the worst implementation of that too.

Meyers-Briggs scale or nothing imho

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's not literal tower defense (you build rts-style auto battling units) but Legion TD2 is really good if you get over the initial learning curve and don't mind the fact that it's a casually-competitive multiplayer game.

Element TD2 is also pretty excellent and it has surprisingly fun co-op but I'm not sure if people still play it. It's good solo too though. I haven't played the devs' new game Axon TD but based on their track record it's probably pretty good too.

I wish more people still played Element TD 2. It’s 50% off now too, so a good time to get it!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sab669 posted:

Is Far Cry 6 worth $15? I'm kinda hungry for a good looking FPS with some fun villains. How bad is it as far as Ubisoft's "Four million POI's" kinda poo poo though?

I enjoy the dumb fun of the Far Cry series but 6 is probably the worst one. Balance is completely off, you get a silenced rifle with armor piercing rounds towards the very beginning which will kill any enemy with one headshot and stays overpowered for the entire game. Maybe supplement it with an assault rifle with anti-materiel rounds for body shot kills if you want a bit of variety but even that's not necessary. There are other ammo types like fire or the red poison that makes enemies go berserk but they're all useless, like they added them in at the end of development but didn't playtest them at all. You would expect lighting an enemy on fire to put them in a stun state where they flail around while taking damage over time but they remain focused and keep shooting you like nothing is happening. If I remember right shooting a standard grunt with a fire arrow does effectively nothing because it doesn't build up the fire status enough to proc, even if you do the fire doesn't do enough damage to kill. Taking out bases with nothing but a bow and arrow was always the best part of any FC game, in 6 the silenced rifle is OP enough that you never want to use it. There are a bunch of fancy Resolver weapons but they all feel similarly useless and gimmicky compared to the silenced rifle. Same for the backpacks, you keep the standard one equipped throughout the whole game because it's the easiest way to deal with helicopters and all the other ones are underwhelming.

Maybe it's worth it at $15 if you've already played every other entry. I've played them all from 3 onwards and would say that 6 and New Dawn are the worst, if you skipped over some of the offshoots like FC: Primal or Blood Dragon I would go for either of those instead.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm probably one of the last people ever to get in on Prey, but at that sale price how can anyone resist??

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Playing games years and years after the hype has died down is how I roll, too. In fact, I think that's pretty much what the thread is about

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

slidebite posted:

Ireally like the farcry franchise and it's my least favorite.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I enjoy the dumb fun of the Far Cry series but 6 is probably the worst one.

Well that's disappointing. Guess I'll save the money.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I think i've played all the tactics games mentioned except for the skaven one and JA3. JA3's definitely on my radar.

What did I miss about Troubleshooter? I'm legit surprised to see it getting any love. I bounced off that game so hard. The translation was awful, the AI seemed really bad and like you were relying mostly on stats/gear rather than tactics. The story was meh, there were like a dozen pointless subsystems stacked on subsystems. I quit at like 4 hours in and I usually have a high tolerance for even the most mediocre tactics games. Does it get better or was it just a bad fit for me for some reason?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Far Cry 6 is on Game Pass if you have that and want to try it out. It didn't hold my interest for the entire game (i.e., I never finished it and don't really feel the pull to do so) but it was a fun playground for the time I spent with it. The POIs were mostly just different ways to kill stuff and there's a Stranger Things tie-in DLC that's kind of fun (which I stumbled into accidentally without even knowing it existed, which was...odd). And it doesn't have the dumb forced story sections like in Far Cry 5.