Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wrong, the best Christmas movie is Tokyo Godfathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Every Batman movie should be a christmas movie.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Every new Batman movie should just be a periodic theatrical re-release of Batman Returns.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

hosed up of them to poo poo on Batman Returns like that

:hmmyes:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

In a dark alley, Joe Chill holds his gun out and glares at a young Bruce Wayne.

"I don't care what your daddy says. Christmas time is here."

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Every new Batman movie should just be a periodic theatrical re-release of Batman Returns.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Ditto for Batman games!
*the Arkham Origins defender has entered the chat*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

WW84 had this too, where it seemed like it was going out of its way to apologize for a movie that was popular and made a bunch of money. (Don’t worry, Wonder Woman won’t use any weapons and will definitely cry in THIS movie!) Bizarre behavior.

WW is Snyder-adjacent.

Really is funny how they did everything in hard response to the twitter brokebrains who didn't even notice, much less care. Literally none of them are talking about how much better the movies are now they got rid of everything that smells like Snyder.

TheFunkOfBee
Dec 27, 2023
https://twitter.com/TheDiscFather/status/1737534823559045287

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WW is Snyder-adjacent.

Really is funny how they did everything in hard response to the twitter brokebrains who didn't even notice, much less care. Literally none of them are talking about how much better the movies are now they got rid of everything that smells like Snyder.

the reality of the matter is that the twitter broke brain shite is and was always performative. budding "creators" (who create nothing but their brand) found an easy thing to bullshit about that cannot easily be countered and all joined in on the dog pile

you can imagine the same people doing easy dunks on, say, Cameron's famously "troubled" production for Titanic. lots of shitlords did that for what passes for internet clout (well, newspaper inches clout) in 1996, up until it actually released and was good and dunking on it risked Taylor Swiftfan levels of retaliation

consumption is more fractured nowadays and for various reasons Snyder is a softer target.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

calm.webp

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

This would be a brilliant move if it were still 1998.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Alexander Hamilton posted:

WW84 had this too, where it seemed like it was going out of its way to apologize for a movie that was popular and made a bunch of money. (Don’t worry, Wonder Woman won’t use any weapons and will definitely cry in THIS movie!) Bizarre behavior.

I still haven't seen it but this is insane. I remember in BvS when Diana is flung far away by Doomsday's attack, collects herself and does that little smile like " I loving love this, it has been so long since I've been in a real fight, loving finally!" It was one of the coolest bits of characterization and it was dope af that she was just a straight up badass who could go toe to toe with everyone and enjoys combat and martial prowess for it's own sake. To throw all that away for what?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Flying Zamboni posted:

I would not complain at all.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Majkol posted:

I still haven't seen it but this is insane. I remember in BvS when Diana is flung far away by Doomsday's attack, collects herself and does that little smile like " I loving love this, it has been so long since I've been in a real fight, loving finally!" It was one of the coolest bits of characterization and it was dope af that she was just a straight up badass who could go toe to toe with everyone and enjoys combat and martial prowess for it's own sake. To throw all that away for what?

for, and I'm being completely serious here, turning her into team mommy and letting the younger members fall on her tits every so often

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

for, and I'm being completely serious here, turning her into team mommy and letting the younger members fall on her tits every so often

Oh I've seen Josstice league, I meant WW84.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Man I remember I was so hyped for WW84 after the first trailer came out with the Blue Monday remix. The hype went into negative values after WB released the teaser clip of her stopping the robbery in the mall. I legit thought it was supposed to be her doing some sort of parody or making a “stay out of trouble kids or this will be you” type ad for Saturday morning cartoons. No, that was the actual movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I still have not watched ww84.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah I forgot how every movie WB puts out since has to somehow poo poo on the best DC flick they ever made.

Swamp Thing 1982? Now I'm glad Paramount will cannibalize that catalogue

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mr. Apollo posted:

Man I remember I was so hyped for WW84 after the first trailer came out with the Blue Monday remix. The hype went into negative values after WB released the teaser clip of her stopping the robbery in the mall. I legit thought it was supposed to be her doing some sort of parody or making a “stay out of trouble kids or this will be you” type ad for Saturday morning cartoons. No, that was the actual movie.

The actual movie IS a parody of 1980s comic book movies, but without any angle or point of critique it falls very flat..

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I still have not watched ww84.

It actually starts out pretty promising, but heavily falls apart midway through. Birds of Prey in reverse. It's rep as the worst CBM is typically overstated; it's bad but it's also deeply weird, which gives it an edge over the usual boring CBMs like the Avengers et al

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A guest on the Slashfilm podcast had a great point about that’s stuck with me: if WW84 was gonna do the whole “hey, one of us has to make the hard but selfless choice to be the hero” again with the same characters, it needed to be her this time. Instead, we get dream(y) Chris Pine doing it again, when it should have been her waking the gently caress up and realizing she needed to move past this fake fantasy to save the day.

As someone who lived here, I liked that we got actual scenes in DC. And I loved that Pascal did the most that he could. But otherwise it was ultimately forgettable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

When I think of someone able to slip into a multitude of different character- man I can't even finish that

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think Will would be an interesting choice if they leaned into the Loki type of Kang, who's maybe more sympathetic—maybe he sees that the future Kang creates is so great that it justifies Kang commiting time war crimes to get there, maybe he knows that an unruly multiverse is fatally chaotic, maybe he's just zealously devoted to the cause.

There's no way he could play multiple Kang's, but he could easily be their Thanos Kang IMO.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Will Smith end credits Kang rap?!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Like, in life??

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If only Christopher Plummer were here

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Will Smith has turned in gold a few times but those days are long gone.

Also, I don’t know why his deadshot wasn’t Evil Mike Lowery.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Keep Miss Minutes' name out of your loving mouth!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nybble posted:

A guest on the Slashfilm podcast had a great point about that’s stuck with me: if WW84 was gonna do the whole “hey, one of us has to make the hard but selfless choice to be the hero” again with the same characters, it needed to be her this time. Instead, we get dream(y) Chris Pine doing it again, when it should have been her waking the gently caress up and realizing she needed to move past this fake fantasy to save the day.

Deactivating the wish like Michael Scott "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" didn't help, either.

Jenkins couldn't resist putting Chris Pine in a fanny pack, but for all the goodwill that came from the resulting marketing, it didn't really make the movie better.

At the same time, I will go to bat over much of the movie's weirdness. LOTS of listicles went hyper-critical mode over "X things that make no sense in WW84," yeah well lots of 80s movies didn't make perfect sense or leaned into perceived plot holes, they were still entertaining. Nicole Kidman finds their lack of respect for movie vibes disturbing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yeah but it's not an 80s movie. We cannot access that level of nostalgia, lead poisoning, or cocaine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If this is true then that's a smart call on the side of Disney/Marvel. Checks all the boxes - Black actor with a high enough profile that they won't be overshadowed by the Majors drama and who is also a family friendly known quantity that mainstream audiences will cheer for. Also solves their problem of needing an RDJ replacement to be the prominent face of the next 1-2 phases of MCU movies. I'm honestly more surprised that Smith would be willing to commit to a bunch of sequels than anything else.

No one is going to expect anything interesting or notable from Smith in terms of performance. He can capably deliver the quippy dialogue slop and he can do menacing/mildly evil enough to do the job. They just have to poofy out Majors-Kang and bring in Smith-Kang as the older, more dangerous version from the "true" timeline or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"If Majors had slapped Chris Rock instead we'd have been fine." -Disney

For real though I hadn't even considered Smith for the role but yeah, if true it actually would be a pretty smart choice in a lot of ways. It'd be interesting to see if he goes fully villainous/sinister with it or how he chooses to approach it otherwise.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

hosed up of them to poo poo on Batman Returns like that

You joke but they ran so far away from that movie the first second they could

“Oh no, we let artistry triumph over commerce. Gotta fix that asap, this is funny books flicker pics”

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

“Oh no, we let artistry triumph over commerce. Gotta fix that asap, this is funny books flicker pics”

to be fair, Batman Forever also kicks rear end

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I feel like that's being unfair to Schumacher's Batman movies, even if he did get restricted from going full gay camp.

Bat-Credit Card is still really good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

For real though I hadn't even considered Smith for the role but yeah, if true it actually would be a pretty smart choice in a lot of ways. It'd be interesting to see if he goes fully villainous/sinister with it or how he chooses to approach it otherwise.

Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else, but didn't Smith really really not wanna be a straight-up bad guy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Cameo posted:

Allegedly, McDonalds had a deal all set up with WB to release happy meal toys and all sorts of tie-ins (expecting pretty much the same tone as the first movie) but then WB served up this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3mivD5wdTQ

..... and McDonalds pitched a fit :v:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm not hip to the mainstream, but replacing the guy convicted of assault with the dude who committed unprovoked assault on live TV, seems like a bad look?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The reaction to Will smacking the poo poo out of Chris Rock was hilariously overblown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

I'm not hip to the mainstream, but replacing the guy convicted of assault with the dude who committed unprovoked assault on live TV, seems like a bad look?

The mainstream considers emotionally and physically abusing your girlfriend to be worse than slapping a comedian after he insults your wife hth.