Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jato posted:

He is indeed a doodle. I've always been pretty anti-poodle and poodle mixes but this guy kinda fell into our lap and we just couldn't say no cause he's so drat cute and full of personality.

I think one parent was a 50/50 golden doodle and the other was full poodle.

I figured a doodle of some sort. His coloring could be one of the scruffy terriers, which is why I asked.

We've had such great luck with Jarvis (50/50 mini). He doesn't exhibit a lot of the warning traits we always heard about doodles, particularly bernedoodles. He doesn't go after socks, etc. he's mostly just a cloud-soft loaf that wants to play now and then.

I think doodles are getting better now that you don't have breeders just smashing breeds with poodles. I don't see a lot of labradoodles these days, but lots of golden, berne, and Aussie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The mini Bernedoodle is peak dog without a job.
You may not like it but it is true

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm gonna need to move my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country soon. Can anyone recommend resources I should read up on? My understanding is basically that you get a particular kind of crate, put the dog in the crate, possibly drug them, check them in as checked luggage, and then fly.

My plan is to fly SFO to PHL, for which the only airlines offering direct flights are on American and United. American only lets large dogs travel on their "American Airline Cargo", which sounds like a setup where I wouldn't actually be traveling on the same flight as my dog. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker (I have family at the other end that could receive him) but it's definitely not ideal. United doesn't appear to allow large dogs at all; their policy is that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front, which simply isn't possible for anything other than small dogs.

Obligatory photo of Pavlov:

Road trip!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm gonna need to move my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country soon. Can anyone recommend resources I should read up on? My understanding is basically that you get a particular kind of crate, put the dog in the crate, possibly drug them, check them in as checked luggage, and then fly.

My plan is to fly SFO to PHL, for which the only airlines offering direct flights are on American and United. American only lets large dogs travel on their "American Airline Cargo", which sounds like a setup where I wouldn't actually be traveling on the same flight as my dog. That's not necessarily a dealbreaker (I have family at the other end that could receive him) but it's definitely not ideal. United doesn't appear to allow large dogs at all; their policy is that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front, which simply isn't possible for anything other than small dogs.

Obligatory photo of Pavlov:

Pochi flew American to get to us. She did fine, even with a small layover. She flew from NH to NC, with a stop in DC for a few hours.

You cannot drug your dog to go in the hold of the plane. They can lose have trouble breathing at altitude (it is pressurized, but not the same).

Honestly, she did totally fine (as far as I know, I never met her before she flew to us, but she fit the same description our family member had for us personality wise) but if you are worried about it, you may want to drive.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All this talk of broken teeth, are Nylabones safe for a sex-seven month old pup?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

HootTheOwl posted:

The mini Bernedoodle is peak dog without a job.
You may not like it but it is true

Absolutely true, lol. It's why I had to get him a front-clip harness because he chokes himself half to death with a regular collar on a walk. He's a loaf, but he's a loaf with a pulling instinct.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

Road trip!

I considered it, but it's over 40 hours of driving and my back doesn't appreciate sitting down for extended periods any more. Even just the cross-country flight requires some special considerations.

Plus of course, moving is stressful enough already, tacking on a really long drive on top of that wouldn't help any. And my car is a Nissan Leaf with a max range of 150 miles, so I'd have to rente something gas-powered...

alg posted:

Pochi flew American to get to us. She did fine, even with a small layover. She flew from NH to NC, with a stop in DC for a few hours.

You cannot drug your dog to go in the hold of the plane. They can lose have trouble breathing at altitude (it is pressurized, but not the same).

Honestly, she did totally fine (as far as I know, I never met her before she flew to us, but she fit the same description our family member had for us personality wise) but if you are worried about it, you may want to drive.

I'd heard that about the drugs, and then other people said it was fine, but yeah, why take chances with respiratory failure? I expect Pavlov would be alright, stress-wise, without drugs in the hold of the plane. But he would not be alright with having a stranger let him out of the crate for a bathroom break, because he has trouble with people violating his (poorly-communicated) boundaries. I'd really prefer a nonstop flight where he's in the hold and I'm in the passenger compartment. But like I said, American and United both don't seem to allow that. :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I considered it, but it's over 40 hours of driving and my back doesn't appreciate sitting down for extended periods any more. Even just the cross-country flight requires some special considerations.

Plus of course, moving is stressful enough already, tacking on a really long drive on top of that wouldn't help any. And my car is a Nissan Leaf with a max range of 150 miles, so I'd have to rente something gas-powered...

I'd heard that about the drugs, and then other people said it was fine, but yeah, why take chances with respiratory failure? I expect Pavlov would be alright, stress-wise, without drugs in the hold of the plane. But he would not be alright with having a stranger let him out of the crate for a bathroom break, because he has trouble with people violating his (poorly-communicated) boundaries. I'd really prefer a nonstop flight where he's in the hold and I'm in the passenger compartment. But like I said, American and United both don't seem to allow that. :smith:

There are private options that I think will do some of this stuff, but I can't imagine how much they cost.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All this talk of broken teeth, are Nylabones safe for a sex-seven month old pup?
They can definitely break teeth on nylabones, benebones, and any other nylon-type chew. Anything hard enough to occupy a chewer for more than a few minutes can break teeth - antlers, yak chews, raw bones, cooked bones, bully sticks, and anything similar. Personally I would never feed rawhide because it softens in the stomach but often doesn't digest well and can absolutely cause obstructions. Bully sticks and even bones are more reliably digestible. Pretty much the only "chew" that will occupy my dogs for more than a minute and can't break teeth is a kong or similar stuffed, soft rubber toy. Fill with canned food (or kibble and water) and freeze. The downside is kongs do very little to clean teeth.

Ultimately if you have a dog, you should budget for their dental care. You can spend thousands of dollars extracting broken teeth. If that sounds lovely, you should get good pet insurance that covers dental extractions.

I'm a veterinarian and I routinely give my dogs things that could break their teeth, in part because I'm too lazy to keep my freezer stocked with filled kongs. I have Trupanion pet insurance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Re: tooth care, I brush Pavlov's teeth once a day. It's nowhere near as thorough a job as I can do on my own teeth, but I cannot imagine it hurts things. He enjoys it and it's a good bonding activity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We tried brushing briskets teeth but he hates it and got progressively more feisty about trying to stop us

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've had Apollo for 7+ years now and he chews everything - sticks outside, bully sticks, minties dental chews, yak cheese chews, whitetailed deer antler, nylabones, kong, etc. Never broken a tooth. Tree sticks sometimes make his gums bleed (as he makes them splinter or break in ways that cut) but never anything significant. I don't brush his teeth (he hates it, I hate it, he gets the dental chews) and he chews on stuff daily.

Meanwhile growing up my parents had a pair of black labs and one broke a tooth chewing on a hard stick, and welp.

As far as I, a non-educated dog person, can tell, is that dogs breaking teeth while chewing is random. I personally advocate for do research and if they're chewing on something hard, be nearby so if something goes wrong you're there.

Now, on the other paw, neither black lab had problems with their dewclaws, but Apollo's love to break all the FRIGGIN TIME. This is with or without nail trims! He just gets them caught and whoops it broke and there's blood everywhere. Thanks pal. Love you. Stop doing this to yourself.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nylabones are what the service dog organisation I foster for recommend and I've given them to pups of that age before so I think they are fairly safe. But of course there's always a risk and it's best to let them have it only under supervision.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

iris has teeth of steel and guts of iron. i cannot believe the things that dog can chew up, swallow and effortlessly poo poo out. she always seems to eat random objects at 8pm on a friday night when there are no vets available and she is apparently immune to hydrogen peroxide, so at least half a dozen times now i've had the experience of googling "can my dog eat x?", having the internet tell me she's going to die, and then having the plastic / timber / half a tennis ball / pinecone / yarn / whatever the hell appear magically out her rear end a few days later with absolutely no ill effects. i love the fool

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No thoughts head empty,
But open mouth, belly full of "no! DROP IT"

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

an egg posted:

iris has teeth of steel and guts of iron. i cannot believe the things that dog can chew up, swallow and effortlessly poo poo out. she always seems to eat random objects at 8pm on a friday night when there are no vets available and she is apparently immune to hydrogen peroxide, so at least half a dozen times now i've had the experience of googling "can my dog eat x?", having the internet tell me she's going to die, and then having the plastic / timber / half a tennis ball / pinecone / yarn / whatever the hell appear magically out her rear end a few days later with absolutely no ill effects. i love the fool

Funny enough, my Mrs gave Freja a beef cartridge chew when she was about 12-15 weeks old, I forget how old exactly. She was loving it. The next day we commented how there wasn't much left and we would have to take it off her in a few hours, when we went back to check it had gone.

The fucker swallowed the last bit whole and it was about 33% of the length of her entire body at that time and we thought she'd lost it or buried it somewhere at the time. We realised how wrong we were when it came out of her, still whole, the next drat day. drat thing could easily have killed the dumb fucker.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I remember one Christmas Teddi was gifted a rubber chicken and he promptly tore off one of its feet. We, however, could not find it. Imagine our surprise when it came out of his rear end whole and intact the next day.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton felt safe enough to come out to see the couple people I had over for Christmas Eve. He went back to the crate a couple times to cool off, but eventually fell asleep in his living room bed with his new Christmas present.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dawwwww :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

i own every Bionicle posted:

Newton felt safe enough to come out to see the couple people I had over for Christmas Eve. He went back to the crate a couple times to cool off, but eventually fell asleep in his living room bed with his new Christmas present.

meeting new people is an IMMENSE step forward, that's great :coffeepal:

e: literally any time I have people visit our house for any reason, if I possibly can I get them to give our dogs treats, because I really want my dogs to learn that People = Good, Hands = Good, People + Food = Good, as much as possible. That is one of the first things an animal shelter will check for, if a dog is at all defensive/aggressive about people around food then that is pretty much doom for the dog unless it's a no-kill shelter.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 25, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Luckily Newton seems to get nervous over a lot of things but new people are not one of them. I wouldn’t throw a rager yet but if there are a couple of calm people around he’s quite happy to take some treats and pets from them (and if they are unwilling to comply I ask them politely but firmly to leave).

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i own every Bionicle posted:

what a wonderful dog :unsmith:

he exudes serene satisfaction in every photo, he knows drat well that his life is on the up and up

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Hey guys! I've recently adopted a dog who has barrier frustration. He has absolutely no problem with other dogs when they're all off leash but when he's on the leash while we're walking he really struggles to control himself.

I've been googling a bit but I feel a bit unsure of what the right path is, because everyone says different things.

Up until now I've been giving him a treat when he starts to react to another dog as a way of distracting him, but this doesn't seem right in my mind, I feel like he'll interpret that as a reward for reacting. But then how can I otherwise reward him/redirect him?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Work on getting him to sit and wait while the other dog passes. Working on this with Pongo has definitely helped in situations where he has to get close to another dog in some capacity.

Had to shower him with treats initially, but now I can get away with 2-3 small pieces of a torn up treat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Try to get him to focus on you, instead of the other dog. Kneel down in front of him, so you're in his face, talk to him, once you have his attention, wave a treat at him and get him to do a simple command (sit is good).

The important thing isn't the treat or the command, it's what he's paying attention to.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

devmd01 posted:

Work on getting him to sit and wait while the other dog passes. Working on this with Pongo has definitely helped in situations where he has to get close to another dog in some capacity.

Had to shower him with treats initially, but now I can get away with 2-3 small pieces of a torn up treat.

I've had to do exactly this with Freja. Now she lays down or sits and waits patiently to see if the other dog will come over or we will allow it. It's going to be a constant work in progress forever I think, but this is much better than before when she didn't listen, didn't sit and wait and just pulled had pulled and reacted to other dogs all the times.

There's times now where she entirely ignores other dogs depending on what we are doing and she gets huge rewards when that happens now

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My beautiful mother of 18 came home yesterday, and woke me up at 6 this morning vomiting 😍. I've missed her.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
RIGHT.

So my good boy is now old enough that I can get him the snip

He is a 1 year old Golden Retriever good boy.

Now I've been told a million times over that getting your dog to get the snip is the responsible thing to do. Ergo: I'm willing to do it

But before I sign my tiny (42kg) fluffy good boy up for elective surgery to cut bits off him, I thought I should do some research and find out why. Also as a dude...like it feels mean to do that to another guy.

SO. What are the benefits to desexing a male dog? What are the disadvantages? Why is it the responsible and good thing to do?

(NOTE: Please don't read this post as combative. I don't intend to come in here and swing hammers and start shitfights, I just want to make sure I'm doing the beset thing for my good boy)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

H13 posted:

RIGHT.

So my good boy is now old enough that I can get him the snip

He is a 1 year old Golden Retriever good boy.

Now I've been told a million times over that getting your dog to get the snip is the responsible thing to do. Ergo: I'm willing to do it

But before I sign my tiny (42kg) fluffy good boy up for elective surgery to cut bits off him, I thought I should do some research and find out why. Also as a dude...like it feels mean to do that to another guy.

SO. What are the benefits to desexing a male dog? What are the disadvantages? Why is it the responsible and good thing to do?

(NOTE: Please don't read this post as combative. I don't intend to come in here and swing hammers and start shitfights, I just want to make sure I'm doing the beset thing for my good boy)

Spaying and neutering has become the gold standard as a backlash against unwanted litters ending up in shelters/getting euthanized. Rescues really pushed for all pets to get fixed, the sooner the better, lest you end up with more puppies for them to have to place.

People are just now starting to push back on that idea because it’s perfectly possible to have intact dogs responsibly and not contribute to pet overpopulation. Your pet having its reproductive organs doesn’t make you a bad person. Neutering a male dog can reduce some nuisance behaviors such as marking, wandering, fights with other males, and humping, but so can training and management. The main health risks in males are prostate and testicular cancers which can be treated by neutering, you just have to watch those balls for any weird changes. The other main downsides are balls are gross and sometimes they get weird giant buttholes and it can be harder to find boarding options for intact dogs.

I have bitches which come with entirely different risks to weigh but if I had a male I’d let him keep his balls until they became a problem for me. I get rescues fixing anything they adopt out but if I’m buying a well bred dog it’s keeping its bits.

I also tend to refer people to this paper to look up their breed and its neuter timing suggestions: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My parents dog died of prostate cancer most likely because he wasn't fixed

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Neutering your dog isn't necessary if you teach him to use a condom.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The pros of having an intact female dog: cutting up an old t shirt and turning it into a makeshift nappy while she's still healing from giving birth. Oodles of fun!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dog balls look weird and are weird.

There I said it :colbert:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

devmd01 posted:

Try to get him to focus on you, instead of the other dog. Kneel down in front of him, so you're in his face, talk to him, once you have his attention, wave a treat at him and get him to do a simple command (sit is good).

The important thing isn't the treat or the command, it's what he's paying attention to.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've had to do exactly this with Freja. Now she lays down or sits and waits patiently to see if the other dog will come over or we will allow it. It's going to be a constant work in progress forever I think, but this is much better than before when she didn't listen, didn't sit and wait and just pulled had pulled and reacted to other dogs all the times.

There's times now where she entirely ignores other dogs depending on what we are doing and she gets huge rewards when that happens now

Thanks so much all, it does give me some comfort to know that I'm mostly doing the right thing and the only missing ingredient right now is time and patience. I can handle those.

He's such a good boy in every other regard so I hope I can get him comfortable with other dogs because it really ruins our walks together and I want to spend more time out walking with him, but I can't when he's kinda harassing every other dog owner.

I'll keep being patient and trying to control his focus with my presence plus treats and just stay consistent with it.

There's another guy I've spotted in our walks who seems to be working on the same problem. Our dogs were both barking at each other and jumping/pulling on the leash from opposite sides of the street and he just called out "We're in the same fight mate, all good!" Felt good to know he understood that my boy isn't nasty, he just doesn't have the self control he needs yet.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure if it's a huge concern but there's a ton of dog places and now even kennels that require your dog be fixed before they'll let you in. I've always fixed my dogs, I have no intention of breeding them, and the benefits outweigh the risks imo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's not cruel to your dogs to set them up for success in the society they live in. They don't have any angst about whether or not they can have kids. They're dogs. They live in the moment. Once they're done healing from surgery, they'll just carry on being dogs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they don't sit there and count their balls all day, one two one two one two yup still got both balls :woof:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Where are they rear end in a top hat

Give them back

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it mostly makes things easier by removing a set of concerns when they are near other dogs. The big thing is making sure you don't do it too early since evidence has been coming out that they're important for things like skeletal development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

One of my sisters actually got a set of prosthetic balls for each of her two male dogs that she adopted, called "Neuticles"
She said the vet was so excited when they asked him to implant them, "Wow I've heard about these but never seen them before" :swoon:

e: the prosthetic balls were called Neuticles, not the dogs