Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Mega Comrade posted:

Someone somewhere is accidently going make that gpt profile public for all to see and use after uploading their entire companies code base to it.

if the code is bad let people steal it. maybe they can get it to work (they won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
"'accidentally"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pie Colony posted:

No one includes the 401k match and benefits value in their TC unless they're a recruiter trying to underpay someone

As someone currently paying $20k over the year for COBRA coverage, bennies aren't always chump change.

The 401k match was also good, half the value up to whatever the threshold is federally (22k? 24k?).

There was a bonus in there too which I forgot to add.

There was a very nice tool that actually broke down what amounts of your pay were from what (annually), which yeah it's to convince you that extra stuff was worth something, but in this case $30k is a pretty good bump.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Benefits are whatever and silly to count as a single person in your 20s who doesn't have chronic health problems, but there can be very significant differences between companies if that doesn't describe you.

401k match is usually small enough that it's not going to make a huge difference, but it's absolutely the company giving you money and I'm not sure why you wouldn't count it?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I usually just think anything other than salary + bonus + yearly stock vests is viewed with suspicion because once you add 401k match usually people start creeping in silly BS like anything like the employer portion of health benefits or really silly things like adding up the value of office snacks. I've had a lot of recruiters try to BS me in the past with stuff.

On the other hand a really good match can be a lot of money. Thousands of dollars different per year.

Not development obviously but those "Union UPS Drivers make $170k now" numbers from a few months ago included a 20k retirement contribution from the employer, which I think is an example where it makes sense to include those.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

Benefits are whatever and silly to count as a single person in your 20s who doesn't have chronic health problems, but there can be very significant differences between companies if that doesn't describe you.

401k match is usually small enough that it's not going to make a huge difference, but it's absolutely the company giving you money and I'm not sure why you wouldn't count it?

If youre going to disregard 401k match then you probably should disregard health insurance too as they are both on the same order of magnitude somewhere between mid 4 and low 5 figures. I personally don't include either as they're reasonably negligible at my TC.

I hope $20k COBRA person compared to the exchange because that seems.insanely high to me. I just bought insurance and could max my OOP and still not hit that number.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Plorkyeran posted:

These things have real value, I don’t think I’d ever take a job that didn’t have health insurance or 401k matching, but adding 20k to your TC because of benefits (or worse, office amenities) is not something people generally do, unless they are a recruiter trying to underpay you, or I guess if you’re already underpaid and trying to justify it to yourself

The reason “TC” exists and people don’t just say salary is specifically because of RSUs and bonuses

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 7, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pie Colony posted:

These things have real value, I don’t think I’d ever take a job that didn’t have health insurance or 401k matching, but adding 20k to your TC because of benefits (or worse, office amenities) is not something people generally do, unless they are a recruiter trying to underpay you, or I guess if you’re already underpaid and trying to justify it to yourself

The reason “TC” exists and people don’t just say salary is specifically because of RSUs and bonuses
Ehh, there's potentially a very big difference between employers paying a standard employer contribution to insurance vs. a 100% employer-sponsored health plan

I'd add a few thousand if the employer covers the full plan cost, and subtract a few thousand if their plan involves coinsurance at all

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

asur posted:

If youre going to disregard 401k match then you probably should disregard health insurance too as they are both on the same order of magnitude somewhere between mid 4 and low 5 figures. I personally don't include either as they're reasonably negligible at my TC.

I hope $20k COBRA person compared to the exchange because that seems.insanely high to me. I just bought insurance and could max my OOP and still not hit that number.

It's a PPO for a family, accepted by more than zero places, with an actually reasonable copay, in an expensive part of the country. I looked at exchange plans and anything that wasn't fig leaf no real coverage bullshit, or "you get to talk to your doctor first. The only PCP who accepts this insurance has a waiting list of 3 months" was still Very Expensive.

Yeah, health insurance isn't as much of a deal when you're single in your twenties, because it costs like 1/5 as much

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Generally people use W-2 vs 1099 if things like health insurance coverage are going to make a huge difference in terms of compensation, since most employers pay around 80%-90% for pretty similar insurance plans. Between health insurance, holidays, PTO, etc you have to estimate 1.5x-2x compensation for 1099, so having no benefits does actually suck. It's just that white collar or professional salaried jobs provide very similar ones near-universally.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I feel like debating whether or not 401k matching and other such things should be included in a single TC number or not is silly, because I also think putting salary, bonus, and stock into a single number is silly in the first place, because it matters how those are broken down.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do we have a thread for talking about consulting/contracting? I have a steady 3 day/week contract gig right now as I mentioned above and I want to use this as a jumping off point to build up a consulting business but I'm not really sure what steps to take to get there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The career path thread over in BFC is probably the best place to ask.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Hey guys I remember there was a conversation a few weeks ago about whether we should calling downstream to component X, because it's supposed to be deprecated soon and replaced by component Y, and I don't remember what the decision was.

Oh wow, so we're going to talk to component X anyway? That's pretty weird, was that decision or conversation documented anywhere?

... hello?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Manager: "can we get contractors to write our unit tests for us?"
Teammate who the manager trusts most: "Yes"
Everyone else: "wtf no lol"
Teammate who the manager trusts most: "Please I am feeling so much guilt that it's becoming difficult to code with so many things flying around. Our contractors are good at it!"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Whoops, HR hosed up and failed to enroll a yet undisclosed number of employees in their selected medical/dental insurance. No messaging on it beyond the minimal acknowledgement of the issue the affected have managed to squeeze out of them. Can only know if you're unexpectedly uninsured if you check!

Leaving sounds like a great decision.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Whoops, HR hosed up and failed to enroll a yet undisclosed number of employees in their selected medical/dental insurance. No messaging on it beyond the minimal acknowledgement of the issue the affected have managed to squeeze out of them. Can only know if you're unexpectedly uninsured if you check!

Leaving sounds like a great decision.

Name and Shame

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Eh, corporations that screw up that kind of thing usually get a free pass from the provider and just back date stuff. Not like us normal people.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

smackfu posted:

Eh, corporations that screw up that kind of thing usually get a free pass from the provider and just back date stuff. Not like us normal people.

I worked for a division of a Fortune 100 company where HR forgot to submit the insurance paperwork for a new hire and the "life event window" or whatever expired. They were told they could re-apply for insurance at the next open enrollment in 10 months, but in the mean time would be uninsured. Oddly enough they got a new job almost immediately after.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
With what the GTA5 source code having leaked, people were eventually gonna make content about it. Some Youtube video about the "funniest code comments" turned up on my feed, I ran it on the aside as distraction. Then this poo poo came up:

Yea, I start to understand why the multiplayer is such a hackable clusterfuck.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, Invision is shutting down at the end of the year.

https://www.invisionapp.com/inside-design/invision-design-collaboration-services-shutdown/

Feels like we were all in on Sketch + Invision just a couple of years ago. Figma just ate their lunch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smackfu posted:

https://www.invisionapp.com/inside-design/invision-design-collaboration-services-shutdown/

Feels like we were all in on Sketch + Invision just a couple of years ago. Figma just ate their lunch.

No surprise at all. Now if only the same thing could happen with Linear forcing Jira to shut down.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

smackfu posted:

Same here, although just Invision. And it looks like they aren't going to offer any sort of proper bulk export system to get the existing UI specs out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Imagine working at a company in January that said they were shutting down in December.

Now imagine who is left in November.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

prom candy posted:

No surprise at all. Now if only the same thing could happen with Linear forcing Jira to shut down.

We use this pile of poo poo called ClickUp and I miss JIRA

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I hate my current place of employment, but nobody but me is that upset that I have no motivation and do not deliver anything of value. Honestly, it feels like nobody else in this hulking org is doing any actual goddamn work either, and they're not going to start coming into the office and acting like a team just because I hate working on shifty apps that nobody cares about from home.

I should follow my own advice, referencing the thread title, but the market is still pretty bad, I have a contract for the rest of the year and I haven't been paid my bonus yet.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Having a bullshit job causes extreme psychological damage but not having money is worse.

I'm contracting for my former employer who I left for largely similar reasons. One of my former teammates estimated 8 hours on a ticket and my old boss smelled bullshit and asked me to do it. Took me 25 minutes. Apparently this kind of thing is commonplace and nobody in the org cares. I love goofing off but not sure I'd be that brazen about it at the height of layoff season.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

prom candy posted:

Having a bullshit job causes extreme psychological damage but not having money is worse.

I'm contracting for my former employer who I left for largely similar reasons. One of my former teammates estimated 8 hours on a ticket and my old boss smelled bullshit and asked me to do it. Took me 25 minutes. Apparently this kind of thing is commonplace and nobody in the org cares. I love goofing off but not sure I'd be that brazen about it at the height of layoff season.

I haven't heard an estimate with a resolution smaller than two weeks in years.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I find myself in that rare but enviable position of finishing most of my daily work in a few hours and then just dinking with random improvements while waiting a day or two for answers from PMs and SMEs. Sadly even doing 5min of random stuff here and there when WFHing doesn't feel very productive, but I'm trying to keep my personal todo list organized to stay busy.

The SMEs are usually the biggest source of frustration since they are perpetually confused, and most delays are because they don't know how to ask questions but want to micromanage. Lots of wasted time with code changes getting abandoned because they spent two weeks bikeshedding three lines of logic and then it couldn't be shipped because someone else did a feature change that caused a conflict. That means rewriting and an extra hour of testing. Wash rinse repeat.

The most recent turned into a meeting because the solution has clearly become undebatable, but no one is quite sure what's in scope, the expectations, acceptance criteria, etc. Solution in search of a problem. Good job principal engineer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

prom candy posted:

I usually try to over-estimate because I'm a chronic under-estimator. On top of that, the complexity of the code I've worked on throughout my career has built in me a deep level of distrust of anything that looks like a simple change. I don't participate in the Scotty method - I just very often see what appears to be a one-line change and make my estimate with the expectation that I'll need to go tracing code paths to make sure there's not some horrible side effect that will be a nightmare to diagnose.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

smackfu posted:

Imagine working at a company in January that said they were shutting down in December.

Now imagine who is left in November.

I'm imagining myself because I'm a chronic procrastinator.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Our new thing is wildly out of control accessibility remediation estimates. “The report listed 1000 issues so we figure one issue a day since its legacy code so this will take a year.”

Then they shut down the project because it’s the cheaper option, good job.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Che Delilas posted:

I usually try to over-estimate because I'm a chronic under-estimator. On top of that, the complexity of the code I've worked on throughout my career has built in me a deep level of distrust of anything that looks like a simple change. I don't participate in the Scotty method - I just very often see what appears to be a one-line change and make my estimate with the expectation that I'll need to go tracing code paths to make sure there's not some horrible side effect that will be a nightmare to diagnose.

I tend to overestimate as well, but a reasonable overestimate for this would've been 2-3 hours.

I also think estimating is bullshit. The only valid estimates really are "should be easy" and "that's pretty complex and will take a while" and "I don't know, we have to start on it to find out." Any org that wants hour-estimates for work and especially hour-estimates for work that they expect to be workable by any person in the team is just at levels of self-deception that I can't stomach.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

prom candy posted:

Would have to know more about the details (did you change one line of code?) but overestimating is better than underestimating. Include time for testing, code review, deployment, unexpected issues, etc. Underpromise, overdeliver. It's not always brazen goofing off, sometimes it's best practice.

prom candy posted:

I tend to overestimate as well, but a reasonable overestimate for this would've been 2-3 hours.

I also think estimating is bullshit. The only valid estimates really are "should be easy" and "that's pretty complex and will take a while" and "I don't know, we have to start on it to find out." Any org that wants hour-estimates for work and especially hour-estimates for work that they expect to be workable by any person in the team is just at levels of self-deception that I can't stomach.

That's true.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

prom candy posted:

Oh for sure, time estimates are almost always incorrect, often by orders of magnitude. I'm mostly thinking about the "oh this looks like a one-line change" scenario that ends up causing some nasty side effect on the other side of the codebase.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm immensely jealous of the "ran out of work for the day" crowd, though I don't entirely understand it... There's always something available, even if it's just refactoring, bug fixes, operational improvements, or self-driven learning.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm immensely jealous of the "ran out of work for the day" crowd, though I don't entirely understand it... There's always meetings, meetings, more meetings, and prepping for meetings available

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm immensely jealous of the "ran out of work for the day" crowd, though I don't entirely understand it... There's always something available, even if it's just refactoring, bug fixes, operational improvements, or self-driven learning.

What if you need to write a 10 paragraph decision log for why your changes should be made and a comparative analysis of which data type to use for a database column before you can do any of that

e; the decision log requires a review meeting and signoff from the ivory tower

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm kind of glad / horrified because at my job the work is pretty reasonable and it doesn't feel like bullshit, there's just way too much of it. Wish I could find something closer to the middle of that spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Clanpot Shake posted:

What if you need to write a 10 paragraph decision log for why your changes should be made and a comparative analysis of which data type to use for a database column before you can do any of that

e; the decision log requires a review meeting and signoff from the ivory tower

how do i quit somebody else's job?