Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Robobot posted:

My buddy and I were actually just talking about this the other day. My stance is that since Jergl, the god of death, straight up tells you mindflayers don't have souls that explicitly means they're not the same people they were before they changed. They may have some memories from them, they may not be 100% evil, but they are soulless aberations in the most literal sense.

What if souls are an unnatural construction of the gods to entrap mortals into worshiping the pantheon for passage into their false heavens, in exchange for consolidating the gods' power? Maybe the true nature of the multiverse is anatman.

what a page snipe

Cephas fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Black Noise posted:

The only thing I know about Planescape Torment unfortunately is BABES! DEMON BABES! UNDEAD BABES! ASIAN BABES!

Did they change the nature of a man?

The actual quote includes 'human babes', making 'Asian babes' even funnier

I don't think there even are any Asian babes in P:T

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like I'm missing something here, is this related to the stuff that came out about Avellone being a creep?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

bird with big dick posted:

So if you made Karlach become a mind flayer you’re a horrible monster that murdered Karlach.

To be fair she readily volunteers because she’s dying, so it’s more like you assist her suicide by ceremorphosis so that she leaves behind a creature with her memories and aspects of her personality.

There’s a reasonable argument that Astarion is in the same situation if he ascends.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ashcans posted:

To be fair she readily volunteers because she’s dying, so it’s more like you assist her suicide by ceremorphosis so that she leaves behind a creature with her memories and aspects of her personality.

There’s a reasonable argument that Astarion is in the same situation if he ascends.

gale as well

apotheosis is not great

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Professor Beetus posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here, is this related to the stuff that came out about Avellone being a creep?

it's from Planescape: Torment's internal pitch document

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

So if you made Karlach become a mind flayer you’re a horrible monster that murdered Karlach.

Correct.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Every time I think ‘oh but I had a monk last time’ I get to act three and I’m like ‘but I have all this monk gear, I can’t just let it go to waste’ and so I make someone a monk.

I'm the exact opposite. I can't help but give my monks heavy armor and a shield. Doesn't hurt that they move and look like fantasy Captain America.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cephas posted:

only change for BG3:
-tons of extremely hot guys
-lots of nipples

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cephas posted:

And that was the greatest WRPG before Disco Elysium and BG3, we need more devs who can tell the difference between human babes and asian babes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My partner points out that "babes" includes guys

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
as was pointed out itt there's a lot of Ship of Theseus stuff going on with mindflayers but also with most of the companions it seems like? If you strip a person of their memories or identity and replace them, what happens, how does their identity change?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For most of the main cast the imminent threat of becoming a mindflayer is only like the second or third most controlling aspect of their lives.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
For most people in the setting it seems like becoming a mindflayer is less Ship of Theseus and more Alien Chestburster. But just like dealing with the devil, being a protagonist means having your cake and eating it too, so if you have a name you can get your brain eaten by a parasite with only minor side effects.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Honor mode really scratches that optimization itch. It's not that big of a jump from tactician but I really feel motivated to get ahead of the difficulty curve to avoid deaths and to conserve resources. I'm constantly probing for ways to get XP and loot with minimal fighting, saving the tough encounters until I'm further ahead in progression. I think I might be able to hit level 5 before dealing with the really hard encounters.

I think Mindflayers work best without a soul as the implications of that are strange in the context of the setting and that helps the overall lovecraftian vibe they have. It's very Shadows Over Innsmouth to have this transformation that leaves parts of you intact even as you embrace what you once found abominable and alien. It's a fun idea to play around with, particularly free from the baggage Lovecraft had.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, she talked me into it! ... is what I tell myself to keep from getting too depressed :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

For people trying to get to the magic level 5 without tackling any of the serious encounters, I would just like to tell you that sacrificing someone to the fish people is worth a lot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you're a githyanki MC, bluffing your way past the patrol is also very easy and gives a ton of XP.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ending question re souls: if you go evil Durge and accept Bhaal's inheritance, and then also choose to become a mind flayer, does that give you a back door way to defy dad at the last second and get away with it since your soul is gone?

Related, does going squid get you out of selling your soul to Raphael for the hammer and then just not giving him the crown in return?

Can you actually combine these three options to make both Bhaal and Raphael super mad at the same time and all it costs you is thinking Halsin's brain looks tasty?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

ZearothK posted:

For people trying to get to the magic level 5 without tackling any of the serious encounters, I would just like to tell you that sacrificing someone to the fish people is worth a lot.

can you sacrifice a hireling?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

To be fair, that actually is something Morte would say. However, it's still very funny if you know how serious and contemplative the general tone of Planescape: Torment is

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Thundercracker posted:

I'm the exact opposite. I can't help but give my monks heavy armor and a shield. Doesn't hurt that they move and look like fantasy Captain America.

My temptation every time is to make a thrower. I’ve got the gloves, I’ve got the ring, I’ve got the returning pike. Am I just not supposed to stand back and murderize people?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Throwers are a great early choice because all the main pieces come together by like level 4 and at that point you’re arguably more powerful even than a tavern monk. Especially since goblins are light enough to toss around at 18 str. Obviously they stay pretty drat good the whole game through but they definitely fall to the bottom of the S tier by the time you hit act 3.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cephas posted:

lol this is absolutely better than what I had imagined.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone else think that a githyanki great sword should be worth more than 40x a rotten carrot?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Beetus posted:

The rapey Avellone allegations were recanted as 'misinterpretations' earlier this year. Not that he's ever liable to work again at this point.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any sort of succinct lists of these sorts of things:

1. Items you may want to pick up from vendor x during act y because you may want them later? Thinking about stuff like the best hand crossbows if I decide I want to dual wield those later, or maybe sword of life stealing or something.

2. All the events that you want to take specific characters to like the stuff for Shadowheart and Karlach are no brainers but I think there's some stuff that taking Gale and Wyll to that aren't quite as obvious?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was legit surprised I was able to run off to Avernus with her I was sure she was going to choose death over going back.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
What's the +1d6 until long rest in act 3? I know there's bliss spores from the myconids, and I know there's one in act3 but can't seem to figure out what is is, now that I've finally gotten an honor mode run to the lower city.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The nymph in Sharess’ Caress.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Are there any sort of succinct lists of these sorts of things:

1. Items you may want to pick up from vendor x during act y because you may want them later? Thinking about stuff like the best hand crossbows if I decide I want to dual wield those later, or maybe sword of life stealing or something.

2. All the events that you want to take specific characters to like the stuff for Shadowheart and Karlach are no brainers but I think there's some stuff that taking Gale and Wyll to that aren't quite as obvious?

Taking Gale to Moonrise and investigating Balthazar's chambers can net him a buff, I know that much. I'd love an item pickup rec list, though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

the other "trick" I found helpful was to dip into the Underdark through the Zhentarim basement, then you can easily make it to the Myconid village without any fights (sneak past the minotaurs if you want)

once in the village, recruit Sovereign Glut. he's got a ton of HP and strong attacks and he can do spore reanimation of a corpse for another sack of HP. he'll follow you around absolutely everywhere in the non-Grymforge Underdark zone (including top of the Arcane Tower to fight Bernard and into Booaalll's cavern) and really trivializes most of the fights. you can just fast travel to the surface and he'll heal and be back in the village.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does anyone else think that a githyanki great sword should be worth more than 40x a rotten carrot?

The economy of this game makes no sense in even DnD terms. The smallest denomination of money in this game is 1 gold piece, which in-game is the equivalent of like several days wages for an unskilled laborer, or 1 day for a skilled laborer. It's like if a 100 dollar bill was the lowest denomination of currency. That flask of water? 7 gold (700 dollars).

You just kind of have to suspend your disbelief. It's a game, everything is predicated on a game's economy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Lobe posted:

The economy of this game makes no sense in even DnD terms. The smallest denomination of money in this game is 1 gold piece, which in-game is the equivalent of like several days wages for an unskilled laborer, or 1 day for a skilled laborer. It's like if a 100 dollar bill was the lowest denomination of currency. That flask of water? 7 gold (700 dollars).

You just kind of have to suspend your disbelief.

I mean I don't really mind because keeping track of coppers, silvers, etc would be annoying. Conversely it would be lovely to the player if the value of the Githyanki Greatsword was priced at an accurate proportion to the rotten carrots, and it still wouldn't make a difference because you can just steal all that poo poo.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean I don't really mind because keeping track of coppers, silvers, etc would be annoying. Conversely it would be lovely to the player if the value of the Githyanki Greatsword was priced at an accurate proportion to the rotten carrots, and it still wouldn't make a difference because you can just steal all that poo poo.

If it's not clear, I'm pro suspending of disbelief. You can't cut a fantasy RPG game under too fine of a scalpel or it all falls apart. And I like the genre despite that

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I mean, there’s technically a stack of copper you can steal in the bank.

that you sell for a little gold

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
when you see an adventuring party roll into town, you swap all your price tags for movie theater prices. Yeah that rotten carrot is uh... fourteen bucks. Oh you want a stack of them? Sure thing boss.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

They're just barely recovering from last week when the Octopath Travelers mugged and robbed everyone of their meager belongings.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

On this run, I'm trying out Gale as Wizard 1 / Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorcerer 9. Currently at level 4 so he's at wiz 1 / cleric 2 / sorc 1, respecced to max out Charisma. Since sorc is the most recent class level, Charisma should be the main attribute for arcane spells regardless of what the tooltip numbers say, right? Or will I need to keep both Intelligence and Charisma maxed out to make sure spells from both classes actually hit things? I know cleric spells still go off Wisdom because I discovered I had a 0% chance to hit Anders with Bane while Gale has 10 Wis :v:

Also, while he can use spell slots for spells from any of the three classes, he can only freely cast the ones learned from sorc levels, right? In order to cast any of the wizard spells scribed from scrolls, they have to be set into one of the two whole wizard spell slots he gets? So at a hypothetical max level he can use sorcerer metamagic on anything, but he can only have, say, Art of War and Chain Lightning set as sixth level spells (9 sorc levels will max out with one fifth level spell, so any sixth level spells would have to be scribed and set into wizard slots). Seems a bit limiting, but probably a fair trade-off for being able to chaos dunk people with Zeus' own lightning spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Geekboy posted:

I mean, there’s technically a stack of copper you can steal in the bank.

that you sell for a little gold

You literally sell the coppers for 1 gold piece each

Madness