Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

site posted:

Smashing crates

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

More realistic toilets

Well alright then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Prophet of Nixon posted:

What "innovation since Doom"?

Mouselook and jump

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
3D models

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Interactive toilets

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Paying strippers

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

doom 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Toilets that restore health when you interact with them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Smashable toilets

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Corpse physics

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Toilets as projectiles

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
FPS games peaked with Duke "Nukum" Nukem plucking a turd out of a toilet bowl in DNF and it's been downhill ever since

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Danny O Dork

Or

Dorky O Dwyer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fingerless glove meter

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toilets that have secret endings inside them

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Prophet of Nixon posted:

What "innovation since Doom"?

Looking at FPS from the last 15 years:

-skill trees and xp progression
-scripted sequences
-"Smarter" AI
-"open world"
-vehicles, random loot
-good story/characters
-trivial puzzles
-stealth takedowns

edit: in any case the post is too subtle, I'm pointing out how the so called 'innovation' is just putting elements from other genres, mostly, which doesn't make a FPS better, just different.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 27, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No one answered you but it looks to be an update/remake of an infamous GZDoom mod. It contains a bunch of bigotry, weird Italian media stereotypes, and maps based on doing mass shootings in churches, hospitals, etc. it’s like a much meaner version of Postal. Note that it is explicitly banned from streaming on Twitch, but there are recordings of it on YouTube if you really want to learn more.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

No one answered you but it looks to be an update/remake of an infamous GZDoom mod. It contains a bunch of bigotry, weird Italian media stereotypes, and maps based on doing mass shootings in churches, hospitals, etc. it’s like a much meaner version of Postal. Note that it is explicitly banned from streaming on Twitch, but there are recordings of it on YouTube if you really want to learn more.

Uh, I had no idea. It was linked by a pagb666 in twitter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Uh, I had no idea. It was linked by a pagb666 in twitter.

Oh, I didn’t think you meant anything by it. Sorry if I came off like I was accusing you, it just seemed like you genuinely wanted to know more about it. pagb666 does all the fps poo poo, which is a credit in terms of finding things and a detriment in terms of “dear god why this poo poo.”

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skasion posted:

Fingerless glove meter

Looking down at your boobs health meter

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Horny subreddits.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Which FPS was the first to do fingerless gloves? Was it Counter-Strike?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Weird Sandwich posted:

I'm going to start calling them Doom Clones again

Yes, even for the Quake and Half Life clones

You call them likes now, owing to the rogue influence. Doomlikes, Quakelikes, Half-Likes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh my god I thought for sure it was duke nukem but I can't find poo poo on dn3d with him wearing glovelikes. His hand model is naked as a jaybird! Disgusting

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

toilets and bathrooms just go hand-in-hand with any FPS, regardless of generation or sub-genre

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

toilets and bathrooms just go hand-in-hand with any FPS, regardless of generation or sub-genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZ2AqpWg3M

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

smh if you don't mash E on the first toilet you see in any video game to check if it flushes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Toilet obsession being the strongest link between Doom clones and Survival Horror games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh my god I thought for sure it was duke nukem but I can't find poo poo on dn3d with him wearing glovelikes. His hand model is naked as a jaybird! Disgusting

I did the exact same thing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
*jock walks into the bathroom*

jock: oh my god! jc! a bomb!
jc: what a shame
walton simons (from behind the shower curtain): get the hell out of here, denton

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Doomer Shooter

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Super Spy on Neo Geo.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Crowetron posted:

smh if you don't mash E on the first toilet you see in any video game to check if it flushes

racing to the toilet in cs_militia every round to be the one to knife the poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

great username posted:

racing to the toilet in cs_militia every round to be the one to knife the poo

Sent to entire server: Knife to meet poo

So when I tab menu in Doom eternal in the top right there's several categories, some of which I know (batterys and suit points) a couple that I don't and I'm pretty far into the game at this point so it feels embarrassing. They're both yellow, one is the crossed axes and the other is a skull. Anyone know? I got a bunch of the skull. Like a ton and I hope it isn't something that would help me because the game difficulty has suddenly decided to become hot loving bullshit. God I hate uneven difficulty progression

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sent to entire server: Knife to meet poo

So when I tab menu in Doom eternal in the top right there's several categories, some of which I know (batterys and suit points) a couple that I don't and I'm pretty far into the game at this point so it feels embarrassing. They're both yellow, one is the crossed axes and the other is a skull. Anyone know? I got a bunch of the skull. Like a ton and I hope it isn't something that would help me because the game difficulty has suddenly decided to become hot loving bullshit. God I hate uneven difficulty progression

I think those are your weapon upgrades, if I'm remembering/seeing right. You should definitely spend those under the Arsenal tab. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/doom-eternal-weapons-how-to-master-all-the-gun-types-2

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Early FPS Megathread: Knife the Poo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey why knife the poo? Have a shotgun for a reason you know.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Arivia posted:

I think those are your weapon upgrades, if I'm remembering/seeing right. You should definitely spend those under the Arsenal tab. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/doom-eternal-weapons-how-to-master-all-the-gun-types-2

That's what I thought and I think master tokens are what the axes are but my arsenal is pretty well developed at this point and I got like 40 of the the things so I guess I figured there wouldn't be enough to spend them all or something. I'll try it out though. Not like upgrading my arsenal feels like it matters much at this point. I'd a decent enough handle I thought on the game, deathless against all the bosses, one environmental death and a couple of arena ones, nice trove of lives I'd hoarded up. I thought I had it figured out pretty well until I got to that loving level with the archvile(s).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blood West is way too brutal and frustrating, I’m not having any fun. Disappointed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dr_rat posted:

Hey why knife the poo? Have a shotgun for a reason you know.

Shawn's Got The Sh*tgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This just randomly got stuck in my head for like a month straight and I finally remembered where I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEVPn1jzuU

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 28, 2023