Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Dot might win, but Fargo has a wonky karma. Generally points towards the heroes, but wobbles. Thinking Bilbo's wife in the first season, Swango's fate in the third. Hope she does.

Dot's treatment of her husband and that guy in the hospital makes me think she's not destined for a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dot's treatment of her husband and that guy in the hospital makes me think she's not destined for a happy ending.

Yeah I kinda get this feeling too. She's obviously the victim of some awful abuse, but while she's not malicious, she's not completely innocent either. She's done a fair bit of collateral damage. There was even a hint of that with the people she maced in the first episode. Neither of them were actually attacking her but she was spooked and lashing out.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
If I was smarter I would form a Take on Minnesota Nice and the hospital guy, I think there’s something there

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

limp dick calvin posted:

If I was smarter I would form a Take on Minnesota Nice and the hospital guy, I think there’s something there

I mean, like, yeah, she starts to smother the arsehole guy (heh) because he's repeatedly poking holes in her story. But it's also because he's coarse and annoying, which gets under her skin and limits her ability to maintain this new personality she's subscribed to.

Dot's housewife personality has a bit of a performance, but this scene suggests that she's prepared to use violence to defend not just bodily self, or her new life she's constructed for herself, but even just this idea that she's a typical housewife.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
See, that’s what I mean

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dot might win, but Fargo has a wonky karma. Generally points towards the heroes, but wobbles. Thinking Bilbo's wife in the first season, Swango's fate in the third. Hope she does.
There's still some slight "they got themselves into their fate" karma for both of those, with Bilbo's wife being a power-sucker and Swango helping with blackmail (I will be honest that I forget so much of Season 3 there's probably more Swango did). Not that either of those deserve the punishments they received but Fargo is, if anything, not about squeaky clean characters. Dot's case is defensible because her collateral damage is mainly just Wayne, everyone else had it coming in their own Fargo-esque way. Poor Wayne, though. The only thing he failed at was understanding his wife... who pretty much forced him into the situation in the first place. Plus, let's face it, this TV show isn't going to show us imagery of a beaten woman, cut to black with text about calling help centers if you're suffering abuse, then end on having Dot somehow "lose." If anything, that last shot cemented for me that she's safe and I now have very little expectation of her coming out of this poorly.

I'm really super curious how golf husband is gonna end. In some way I want Indira to do it but there's no way Fargo would have the primary cop go darkside like that.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 23, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't see this season condemning everyone for their actions, though a crazy high cast casualty rate could be impressive. Just cop in a cast and Scotty, the end.

If we're talking just dessets then Wayne's suffering in a tragedy of his own making. He actively looked for reasons to see the world his wife's way even thougj "Dot" was incredibly untrustworthy and he was open about it. He just wanted to go back to being a baby. His brain damage is just a sort of bleak extension of his already existing deliberate choices, one achieved by following those exact same choices.

Jehde posted:

I am ready for the team up of Lorraine, Indira, and Scotty to save Dot from Roy and his boys club.

I don't see the sympathy people have for Lorraine, I must admit. She's pretty horrible despite facing sexism in her professional life e.g. being transphobic, a self image of being something like a feudal lord -- gonna be interesting if she and Munch meet, given they're both...debt collectors.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 23, 2023

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't see the sympathy people have for Lorraine, I must admit. She's pretty horrible despite facing sexism in her professional life e.g. being transphobic, a self image of being something like a feudal lord -- gonna be interesting if she and Munch meet, given they're both...debt collectors.

My guess is that Lorraine is playing a similar role to Dedra in Andor. You want to root for her because she’s facing some lovely people, but she’s still rotten at the core. This episode did a lot to contrast Tillman’s use of physical violence with Lorraine’s use of economic violence. Like, it’s fun to see her abuse a man like Vivian and hopefully Tillman, it’s the same weapon being used against Indira.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Munch sounds so much like Werner Herzog.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I don't see the sympathy people have for Lorraine, I must admit.
I don't think I've seen a single person sympathize with Lorraine. We can cheer for her when she does a good thing but I don't think anyone's absolving her from the evil she commits.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

ballerino got a big laugh from me

season is good

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love his dad bringing up Rommel outta nowhere and the FBI agents just going, "Welp, that's our cue. :yikes:"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Lorraine is an absolute monster but JJL is killing it and "your mistake was thinking death was the worst thing that could happen to you. No, the sheriff isn't going to kill you. Instead you're going to live out your days in squalor, surrounded by the dead-eyed stares of your futureless children" was loving amazing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Characters that suck but are very entertaining is kind of part of the whole schtick of Fargo.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Das Boo posted:

I love his dad bringing up Rommel outta nowhere and the FBI agents just going, "Welp, that's our cue. :yikes:"

that scene was so good

the debt theme and the immature husband theme are absolutely hitting for me.

season 2 is my favorite, but i'm glad season 5 is showing out.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Color me surprised if she's not inspired by Leona Helmsley.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DaveKap posted:

I'm really super curious how golf husband is gonna end. In some way I want Indira to do it but there's no way Fargo would have the primary cop go darkside like that.

It's interesting how every season seems to stick to the theme of "local cop is the hero/smartest LEO in the show". Cop whose wife has cancer from S2(?) comes to mind.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's interesting how every season seems to stick to the theme of "local cop is the hero/smartest LEO in the show". Cop whose wife has cancer from S2(?) comes to mind.

It's been a while, but how did the fourth season square this circle again? I feel like Olyphant's character was a bit of a poo poo. Was there another cop I'm forgetting or

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

It's been a while, but how did the fourth season square this circle again? I feel like Olyphant's character was a bit of a poo poo. Was there another cop I'm forgetting or

OCD cop who worked for the mob.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

iirc, the investigative daughter was the stand-in for "local good-guy cop who knows what's up by episode 3 but no one believes them" in S4. Appreciate that even when the series often has that character, the universe of the show generally has them as a very distinct exception to the rule.

Strongly suspect the FBI characters in this season are going to go the way of Key & Peele from S1. They haven't made a huge deal of it yet this season, but Roy is funding and funneling weapons to a full on militia. Would be surprised if there wasn't some sorta big shoot out in store towards the end.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

They haven't made a huge deal of it yet this season, but Roy is funding and funneling weapons to a full on militia. Would be surprised if there wasn't some sorta big shoot out in store towards the end.

Good call. Hell, that’s probably the only reason they even included that detail; so they can justify a firefight at the end of the season

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
And hopefully it will go badly for Roy like everything else has so far.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Between the FBI, Lorraine's security detail, and Roy's militia, I expect something crazy to happen as some combination of those three square off.

New episode just hit so I'm spoiler tagging: I leapt out of my chair with excitement when I accidentally mis-identified Linda as being played by Rhea Seehorn. Episode is dark as gently caress, possibly a little too dark for my entertainment tastes, but the sense of dread I got at the very end - as soon as the nurse said they got Dot's husband - was incredibly palpable. The fact it basically took a deus ex machina of sorts to come to this point kinda blows and the quick cut between CGI car crash to practical effect stunt fall felt like it could've been done better. I'm very thankful this and the previous episode were not both cut in half and mixed together for "we're missing the main character for an entire episode" reasons. Both definitely needed their time to breath and it worked out well.

One thing that's super confusing me: Dot fell asleep in the diner and then went to find the letter from Linda with Camp Utopia on it. Since she dreamt all of that up, it means we still have no idea what her actual plan was. And now we'll probably never know. That's... annoying.

Next episode can't hit soon enough.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 27, 2023

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Why wouldn't that still have been her plan?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was worried we were gonna be spending too much time with this woman's shelter and that it was gonna be an overload of vanilla feelings stuff which is good and all given Dot's issues, but these kinds of mini stories have a tendency to stall plot progression. But drat, that changed quick!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Gator is just the most magical little man.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Gator is an obnoxious idiot and Lorraine is one hell of a calculating bitch, but holy poo poo and do I mean holy poo poo does Roy need to be put in a body bag several times over.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
drat, they pulled off an "It was all just a dream," type twist and didn't make me hate it. Well done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's always one or two things that go clunk for me, and it's usually when the show brings in these really minor side characters and tries to characterise them really quickly and it just becomes terrible for whatever reason. That really blunt monologue from the lovely husband last week, and random "that's capitalism!" car dealer guy who spent way too long underlining themes. Yeah, we got what was going on guys, you can be less broad. Only real complaint.

I also think I just don't care about the season when Dot's not on screen. Pretty much everything else exists to react to her, so it's her and maybe lady cop (who seems hopelessly compromised, really) that drive a lot of the action. Last week was a lot of everyone else musters their forces waiting for Dot to turn back up. Dot, meanwhile, gets an awesome therapy retreat subplot, and it owned.

Lol this ancient feudal dude getting caught up in a blood feud subplot. I can see Wayne coming acropper in the inevitable(?) Tillman / Lyons conflict after Gator gets offed by 500 Year Old Welsh Dragon and Tillman gets confused about who did it. Would pay off his line in Biblical retribution.

Fun times.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Was not expecting to get one let alone two masterpieces of puppet-driven backstory episodes in TV this year. (The other being "The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride" from Blue Eye Samurai)

Also Juno Temple has been great from go, pepper spraying a cop, but she really ran a gamut in this episode.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 27, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jehde posted:

Was not expecting to get one let alone two masterpieces of puppet-driven backstory episodes in TV this year. (The other being "The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride" from Blue Eye Samurai)

Also Juno Temple has been great from go, pepper spraying a cop, but she really ran a gamut in this episode.

She really has been great and smart on her for picking a high profile role to demostrate her range after Ted Lasso. I admit I pigeonholed her a bit of a one note ditz based on that show alone and am not eating my hat, she's killing it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Roy's fortunes changed as soon as he paid his debt. Hopefully Gator's actions change them back.

Weird episode but still solid. They're going to have to cram a lot into the last three episodes!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Using oranges to signify death has become the Wilhelm Scream of metaphors.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Using oranges to signify death has become the Wilhelm Scream of metaphors.

I was surprised he didn't sin eat those on the spot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

There's always one or two things that go clunk for me, and it's usually when the show brings in these really minor side characters and tries to characterise them really quickly and it just becomes terrible for whatever reason. That really blunt monologue from the lovely husband last week, and random "that's capitalism!" car dealer guy who spent way too long underlining themes. Yeah, we got what was going on guys, you can be less broad. Only real complaint.
Again I think the dialogue is just not as sharp as it used to be, or at least is leaning super heavily into a "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards" cadence which whether intentional or not leads to it sometimes feeling a little clunky and blunt.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Morals and life lessons are best taught from a magical bowling alley.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

oh jay posted:

Morals and life lessons are best taught from a magical bowling alley.

Bowling alleys are like motor hotels, innately supernatural places. strange things happen.

Munch is a Chigurh remix i guess, he has Rules and if you violate the Rules you're hosed. old lady gave Munch hospitality and pancakes and Gator killed her. Gator is not long for the world.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gator is just trying his best, ok

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that was a really really good episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensenmann420
Jun 24, 2023
Ive been thinking, Juno Temple also played a chatacyer named 'Dot' in Killer Joe, where the Dot in that movie gets sold to a criminal sheriff (played my matthew mc). Is that just a coincidence or is this written to be in the same sort of universe as Killer Joe?