Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

cruft posted:

Brazilian Jiggabytes.

How did you get access to my private Plex library :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
yeah, I don't host a ton of concurrent remote streams (I think 5 has been my upper limit) so i have a mounted network share for media on my nas which i then path to all my containers. hasn't proven to be a bottleneck. yet.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Recyclarr will also update your *arrs with the Trash guide recommendations. I tried it on a new server build and it worked great.

I've run into a strange issue where cover art does not load on our Roku devices at random times. Not sure if it's the Roku, both TV and stick, or something with my setup. Never had an issue before on my Ubuntu install. The new setup is via Truenas.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Trash guides are all great.

You're going to often find two camps with this kind of stuff - Those who use Windows and are comfortable with it, and those who run Plex from a Linux-based OS (often free or cheap). For many, a linux-based OS that can be 100% managed from a webgui from any device is one of the biggest draws.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Corb3t posted:

The Trash guides are all great.

You're going to often find two camps with this kind of stuff - Those who use Windows and are comfortable with it, and those who run Plex from a Linux-based OS (often free or cheap). For many, a linux-based OS that can be 100% managed from a webgui from any device is one of the biggest draws.

FreeBSD

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

docker sucks use podman

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Watching stuff locally in Firefox, I keep getting little loading circles. They go away after a moment, but you know. Do I need to update something? The video doesn't pause or anything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nettle Soup posted:

Watching stuff locally in Firefox, I keep getting little loading circles. They go away after a moment, but you know. Do I need to update something? The video doesn't pause or anything.

You're buffering. Is the server hardwired? Also, is your PC/laptop/whatever you're running firefox on requesting your server to do a video transcode? You can check to see if your server is transcoding when something is playing in the Plex dashboard -- the dashboard is under the 'activity' icon in the top right of th Plex web app.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Sounds like watching in-browser has caused transcoding. First, make sure the video stream quality is set to Original. If that fails try installing the client for whatever OS you're on for a much better experience.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's hardwired and running on the same computer. I guess I'll install the client. It doesn't happen when watching remotely from my laptop, and it doesn't interupt the video at all.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Matt Zerella posted:

If you’re on Windows, containers absolutely loving suck, so I get that hate. Docker Desktop is the worst.

After all these years I realized this is what I believe in and not all docker sucks.

Deploying images on Linux CLI, a dream. windows docker, a nightmare which can include but no limited to: setting up an entirely new network IP docker prefers but prevents the original IP from being used elsewhere, elegantly claims lots of memory for a only setup but forget to let that memory go until it's restarted, just dumping all the virtual processes on two or three cores when you have 32 cores.

The thing you take away from this: don't run services on machines you use as a workstation

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any reason Plex would choke direct-playing something to XBox One that plays just fine off cheap USB storage? What bothers me is that performance seems to change week-to-week and I know this Wi-Fi 6 backhaul can handle much worse building materials than this. Logs weren’t much help other than that error I described two posts ago.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

EVIL Gibson posted:

After all these years I realized this is what I believe in and not all docker sucks.

Deploying images on Linux CLI, a dream. windows docker, a nightmare which can include but no limited to: setting up an entirely new network IP docker prefers but prevents the original IP from being used elsewhere, elegantly claims lots of memory for a only setup but forget to let that memory go until it's restarted, just dumping all the virtual processes on two or three cores when you have 32 cores.

The thing you take away from this: don't run services on machines you use as a workstation

The big reason it’s so bad on MacOS and Windows is it requires a VM to operate. On Linux it runs natively. IO is way faster on Linux. Podman also has some nice benefits like not running containers as root and using systemd to launch containers. I like Docker fin on a media server, but i wouldnt discourage podman either.

I use Docker desktop at work on my work mac laptop and I only run the docker desktop daemon when i need to use a container, otherwise, it’s closed. It’s an awful resource hog.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

The big reason it’s so bad on MacOS and Windows is it requires a VM to operate. On Linux it runs natively. IO is way faster on Linux. Podman also has some nice benefits like not running containers as root and using systemd to launch containers. I like Docker fin on a media server, but i wouldnt discourage podman either.

I use Docker desktop at work on my work mac laptop and I only run the docker desktop daemon when i need to use a container, otherwise, it’s closed. It’s an awful resource hog.

If you're on a Mac check out OrbStack.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Podman also works on MacOS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It bears mentioning that Orbstack is available on MacOS and is a far far far superior alternative to docker desktop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn’t heard of orbstack until this thread so gonna check it out, I’m sure moving my setup over to it would be a massive headache so it might just be for tinkering but would be nice to get a foot in the door.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been hosting Plex and the *arr apps for years on my gaming PC but I want to tighten up my setup and make it more reliable and easy to access when I'm travelling. Is there any value in running the arr apps in a Linux VM inside windows? My thought would be that Plex would still run directly on Windows and just the *arr stuff would run in the VM. Basically I'm pretty comfortable with docker and Linux and managing stuff like services and permissions in windows is perplexing to me. But I'm not sure if an added layer of a Linux VM just to make things easier to manage for me would be worth the overhead.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hadn’t heard of orbstack until this thread so gonna check it out, I’m sure moving my setup over to it would be a massive headache so it might just be for tinkering but would be nice to get a foot in the door.

Iirc it may just hook into your existing setup but don't quote me on that. Please use docker compose files as they make moving hosts trivial. I shifted things off my NAS and into a VM the other week and had something like 3 minutes of downtime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh by existing setup I just mean I have all my software setup in the old school regular way, not Docker.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

prom candy posted:

I've been hosting Plex and the *arr apps for years on my gaming PC but I want to tighten up my setup and make it more reliable and easy to access when I'm travelling. Is there any value in running the arr apps in a Linux VM inside windows? My thought would be that Plex would still run directly on Windows and just the *arr stuff would run in the VM. Basically I'm pretty comfortable with docker and Linux and managing stuff like services and permissions in windows is perplexing to me. But I'm not sure if an added layer of a Linux VM just to make things easier to manage for me would be worth the overhead.

This sounds like hell to me, but maybe it's your thing! I mean, hobbies are more about scratching the "I bet I could..." itch than scaling to thousands of users.

Just remember to post about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, when Cruft posts that your plans might be a bit out there you know it’s time to step back and rethink things through ;)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah it's probably less work to learn a couple things about windows I guess. I do enjoy tooling around with Linux but mainly I just want a reliable setup that doesn't steal too many resources from my computer's primary job of playing Rocket League.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

prom candy posted:

Yeah it's probably less work to learn a couple things about windows I guess. I do enjoy tooling around with Linux but mainly I just want a reliable setup that doesn't steal too many resources from my computer's primary job of playing Rocket League.

I've never had reliability issues with Sonarr and Radarr in Windows. What have you run into?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inept posted:

I've never had reliability issues with Sonarr and Radarr in Windows. What have you run into?

Yeah, aren't the literally windows native? I'm pretty sure that's why I have mono on my linux box that runs them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I’d probably use a Pi with Docker to host your Arrs and get them off your linux box if thats what you want to tinker around with. Or go whole hog and set up a NUC with proxmox.

You can still have your downloaders and plex on the PC if you want. Also, assign it a static IP via DHCP or hardwire it on the OS so your Arrs can find it every time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

prom candy posted:

Without knowing exactly what trouble you're having running *arrs on Windows, it kinda sounds like the cure is worse than the disease. A VM is going to be a constant drag on resources, though you might not notice it if you're literally playing nothing but Rocket League. Getting Plex and *arrs to cooperatively manage shared files from their respective OSes might be a headache. VirtualBox shared folders can have weirdly bad performance and don't fully implement NTFS permissions. I don't think you'd be able to directly mount an NTFS partition on the guest while the host has read/write access to it. If you could move Plex into the VM that would help, but I'm guessing you want transcoding, and you can't give your GPU to the VM because you need it for gaming.

I'd personally want to keep the entire setup on Windows, or take the excuse to build a dedicated media server, rather than potentially create problems by straddling. Getting comfortable with managing *arrs on Windows seems like the path of least resistance.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Inept posted:

Upgrading to Sonarr v3 seemed to mess up permissions but I think I have it fixed now. It's more the general reliability of an operating system that loves to reboot itself. I've had issues before where windows updates when I'm out of town and then I can't get connected to my Plex. I think setting it up as a service should fix that and also obviously having a Linux VM inside windows won't do much to help that issue. I've been neglecting my home server for a while because it was a golden age of streaming services so I think I just need to do some janitoring to clean up some of the jank. Lucky for me computer janitoring is my idea of a good time.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The golden age of streaming (for me) has been the last 20+ years I’ve had a streaming server :smug:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

acksplode posted:

...take the excuse to build a dedicated media server, rather than potentially create problems by straddling

Yeah, this. I know it feels daunting - especially if your media is all stored on one PC currently - but it'll make a lot more sense to have this all being done in one place on its own. You can get some decent SFF PC's for pretty cheap on ebay (make sure to get an 8th gen or above Intel if you need transcoding) and aside from having very little space for additional hard drives, those are probably the best things to start with.

Alternatively, I just used my last gaming PC to start out dabbling in this. If you've got something in an ATX case lying around your basement that isn't using like, a Core2Duo or whatever, installing linux on that and having it run docker with all your stuff may not be a terrible idea.

If you're scared of the transition (I know I was - I used an ancient HTPC when I got into this) you can always keep your current setup running concurrently so you feel secure in not missing anything in the switchover period.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Another big help for transitioning is somehow the *arrs do an amazing job of config backup and restore. It's just flawless.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I really need to break down and get a NUC or something to transition everything off my desktop to something lower power so I won't feel as bad about it running 24/7. Is there a recommended small form factor Intel job that people like? I imagine something pre-packaged is a better route than DIY for something small and compact?

Edit: this would be to run my Plex server and *arrs, all my media is on a Synology NAS (non-intel :( )

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can't your run apps on a synology?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

kri kri posted:

Can't your run apps on a synology?

yeah but the ryzen in it is garbage for transcoding

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Get an Intel N5xxx based mini PC. I'm using this one from Beelink to run my *arrs, overseer, Plex, etc.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Get an Intel N5xxx based mini PC. I'm using this one from Beelink to run my *arrs, overseer, Plex, etc.

Shouldn't they get the N100 version instead? I have the N100 model because I read it was slightly more powerful and uses less power.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Quixzlizx posted:

Shouldn't they get the N100 version instead? I have the N100 model because I read it was slightly more powerful and uses less power.

If there's a newer/better choice then for sure. I got my n5105 last year I think, so maybe there's been improvements. I don't keep up much on the low power space.

Edit: watched a video and yea, the base frequency of the n100 is down to 0.8ghz from 2ghz on the n5105 so that should be a good win.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 30, 2023

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Thanks folks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I’ve got a spare Ryzen 1600 processor and motherboard that I want to throw in an Unraid box to upgrade it over some ancient Xeon I have currently. What js the state of transcoding on AMD processors via Plex/Unraid/Docker?

I also have a spare GT730 graphics card if that helps…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’ve got a spare Ryzen 1600 processor and motherboard that I want to throw in an Unraid box to upgrade it over some ancient Xeon I have currently. What js the state of transcoding on AMD processors via Plex/Unraid/Docker?

I also have a spare GT730 graphics card if that helps…

Ryzen 1600 has hardware encoding and really well compared to chips at the time.

Check your xenon CPU model if it has Quick sync or not. That is what does the hardware video encoding

GT730 doesn't support hardware encoding

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 31, 2023