Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/3DsHe3D.mp4
Yes, groaners will get suppressed and gain ninja reflexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

are there any good videos on how the damage types work?

i can see from skills and bonuses that theres armored, flak, carapace, etc but the game doesnt explain poo poo about what any of those are and it seems important to know

I think you mostly have to learn it by rote either in Sefani's playground or from a spreadsheet like this one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtPcw4m4YtO_IcEkFlJJOBVWCYDEIeCKJRYLT4SmLc0/htmlview

Carapace is the one that sparks when you hit it, though. And bosses are always unyielding*

*Except the twins apparently

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ive definitely noticed suppression helping in some situations but obviously its better to just kill everything so quickly it doesnt matter.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

are there any good videos on how the damage types work?

i can see from skills and bonuses that theres armored, flak, carapace, etc but the game doesnt explain poo poo about what any of those are and it seems important to know

Unarmored/flak/carapace/etc are armor types. You can go to the psykarium and shoot some enemies and it'll show what kind of type you're hitting. Note that most enemies have locational armor (for example, Maulers have flak armor on their body but Carapace helmets, so aim for the gut)

If you don't want to get too Into It the general rule of thumb:
* Flak is most armored elites you see (shotgunners, one version of gunners, maulers, etc)
* Carapace is heavy armor mostly limited to Ogryns (Crushers in particular), and helmets of Maulers
* Maniac is ragers, mutants, flamers, bombers(?)
* Infested is things like poxwalker zombies, dogs

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Someone had asked about people skipping health stations and Christ I'm seeing so much of it now too. Even people steadfastly refusing to heal with a station 5 yards away and you're about to leave it behind to an elevator (i.e. it's not like they're saving it in case they have to double back after a boss fight.)

Any time I see multiple people doing the same inexplicable stupid poo poo in an online game in a short span of time, I assume it's because of a youtuber, so I'm leaning that way.

I get needlessly worked up about it because half the time we're carrying their dumb asses anyway, and it's just a real open show of disrespect to everyone else's time.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Someone had asked about people skipping health stations and Christ I'm seeing so much of it now too. Even people steadfastly refusing to heal with a station 5 yards away and you're about to leave it behind to an elevator (i.e. it's not like they're saving it in case they have to double back after a boss fight.)

Any time I see multiple people doing the same inexplicable stupid poo poo in an online game in a short span of time, I assume it's because of a youtuber, so I'm leaning that way.

I get needlessly worked up about it because half the time we're carrying their dumb asses anyway, and it's just a real open show of disrespect to everyone else's time.

I'll admit I fully do not watch a single youtuber play Darktide but generally speaking someone ignoring a medicae station is just a sign of a very new player... or just a bad one. Or they don't look at their health.

I'd be interested to find out if it was related to specific youtubers doing something dumb.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Fishstick posted:

* Maniac is ragers, mutants, flamers, bombers(?)

Bombers and scab ragers are flak (dreg ragers are indeed maniac).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anecdotally i have seen a sharp uptick in this as well. To the point that i just heal now and eat the charge after a ping if they dont turn around

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

I'll admit I fully do not watch a single youtuber play Darktide but generally speaking someone ignoring a medicae station is just a sign of a very new player... or just a bad one. Or they don't look at their health.

I'd be interested to find out if it was related to specific youtubers doing something dumb.

I'm talking about people who are specifically refusing to heal. Like the team will tag it and say "heal up" and it's literally a second away and they'll get mad and refuse. I've seen 3 in the past 24 hours.

Like if you just neglected to and you're now far enough past it that it's not worth it to walk back, sure, whatever. Or you're about to do the Torrent descender holdout and maybe you'd rather keep a tiny bit unhealed just in case someone gets blasted to the lower level and needs to heal up, or maybe you'd rather risk the lower health in case there's a boss fight, etc. Those are all fine. But for example, Chasm Terminus, at the elevator before the boss fight? Or Carnival 1 where there's a station directly before an airlock?

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 27, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm talking about people who are specifically refusing to heal. Like the team will tag it and say "heal up" and it's literally a second away and they'll get mad and refuse. I've seen 3 in the past 24 hours.
If they're outright refusing and aren't a Zealot running a wounds build then it's got to be because of the most popular scoreboard mod. It assigns a bunch of arbritary scores to your performance, and having a low medicae heal count is one of the things that inflates it like crazy. Just another reason why that mod is bad and dumb.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Exodee posted:

If they're outright refusing and aren't a Zealot running a wounds build then it's got to be because of the most popular scoreboard mod. It assigns a bunch of arbritary scores to your performance, and having a low medicae heal count is one of the things that inflates it like crazy. Just another reason why that mod is bad and dumb.

Almost like scoreboard mods in a cooperative game were a gigantic mistake. Who knew?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sure there's different opinions on this, but even if I'm running wounds Zealot I'll take a heal when it's available. It's nice to just mow through things and have crazy damage resistance, but it also assumes someone is going to be around to pick you up when you go down. There are definitely people who can skirt the line at no health and not go down, but they're not all that common and there's enough chaos in this game that it's just not worth it in my opinion. Temp HP in Vermintide 2 was much more reliable for Saltzspire, IMO.

So yeah, I roll my eyes even when a wound Zealot does it.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Almost like scoreboard mods in a cooperative game were a gigantic mistake. Who knew?
I like it to measure my own performance (e: or at least, a modified version of it) but the score system is super bad and they should probably just show an average of the other players or something to stop people from using it against one another. Unfortunately that cat's out of the bag though.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm sure there's different opinions on this, but even if I'm running wounds Zealot I'll take a heal when it's available. It's nice to just mow through things and have crazy damage resistance, but it also assumes someone is going to be around to pick you up when you go down. There are definitely people who can skirt the line at no health and not go down, but they're not all that common and there's enough chaos in this game that it's just not worth it in my opinion. Temp HP in Vermintide 2 was much more reliable for Saltzspire, IMO.

So yeah, I roll my eyes even when a wound Zealot does it.
I prefer staying at around 3 wounds on a martyrdom Zealot but even I'd take the medicae if no one else needs it. It's not like it's hard to drop your health lower if you want to (ie. when a Rager swarm shows up)

Exodee fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 27, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

I enjoy seeing my damage output, crit rate, etc. But I do have the so-called “scores” turned off because they’re literal nonsense. You could just print a random number and it’d be equally informative re: your actual effectiveness.

I would prefer if it only showed your own stats. Or combined all your teammates into an aggregate. Maybe I’ll see if I can alter the existing scoreboard mod to do that.

e: f;b

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Exodee posted:

Unfortunately that cat's out of the bag though.

You can put that cat right back in the bag by banning anyone using a modified client from matchmaking, as should have been done from day 1. Want to use it in private games, be my guest.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

this is very helpful, thank you

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Like if you just neglected to and you're now far enough past it that it's not worth it to walk back, sure, whatever. Or you're about to do the Torrent descender holdout and maybe you'd rather keep a tiny bit unhealed just in case someone gets blasted to the lower level and needs to heal up, or maybe you'd rather risk the lower health in case there's a boss fight, etc. Those are all fine. But for example, Chasm Terminus, at the elevator before the boss fight? Or Carnival 1 where there's a station directly before an airlock?

That's the exact thing I'm talking about lol. Either they think they don't need it or are just too tunnel vision to grab the heal. Or maybe they have voice chat turned off, idk! It's baffling but fairly rare on Damnation when I pubstove, it happens just often enough to stick out generally.

It's a loving mystery and a half why some folks refuse though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SkyeAuroline posted:

You can put that cat right back in the bag by banning anyone using a modified client from matchmaking, as should have been done from day 1. Want to use it in private games, be my guest.

Fatshark is already on record for being okay with mods since fairly early on. As long as the mods do not let you directly effect the gameplay of others in some way, they don't really care what they do.

While I'm a puritan modless player, there are some mods I respect and can appreciate are available for players to make use of like ones that help with accessbility. There are other mods I think shouldn't exist but I don't actually have to see any of the things they do in game so whatever, who cares if the person using the mod has put in the effort to install it.

There's a couple of cheat mods that exists and one just highlights what symbols you'll need to press ahead of time when you start hacking minigame. Yes, it is cheating, but it's so minor and the player still has to push the button it's kinda whatever. And you'd never know if someone would have it unless they told you about it.

The other cheat mod is the one that gives you enemy health bars in a run. Yes, that's cheating. :colbert:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I like the scoreboard but will never mention i have it to another player. It's just to give me an idea of if whatever build I'm using is actually effective or I'm being carried at all

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I like the scoreboard but it's pretty much arbitrary how it generates scores, right? Or does the game have these scores built in and it just mines that data?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

withoutclass posted:

I like the scoreboard but it's pretty much arbitrary how it generates scores, right? Or does the game have these scores built in and it just mines that data?

the basics were explained to me once, heavily paraphrased and half remembered so grain of salt. The mod looks for certain "trigger" flags that fire in the game for certain events or something, so it's scraping things that happen in game but can't actually read game data. It's a very hacked way and also means it isn't 100% as accurate for some stats compared to others.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The composite scores (e.g. offense score, teamwork score, total score) are arbitrary attempts to decide which score elements weigh how much. They'd be arbitrary whether that's the modder's doing or Fatshark. So those scores are useless. You can remove the rows for them in your mod options, and imo it helps combat the brain rot that having a scoreboard can lead to.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The scores are extremely arbitrary since they only weigh the values that you choose to be shown. There are a TON of metrics that it can potentially track -- way more than can be shown on screen. As you prune away stuff you don't care about, the remaining values will be scores compared to the other players on the team.

Anyone who plays non-optimally purely for the sake of scoreboard is an absolute drooling idiot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I think it's an interesting topic overall. 2/3 damnation games I played today had people just running off solo with zero situational awareness, not healing, etc. I feel like the scoreboard gives a convenient reason for it, but what else could be going on? Maybe a friend playing on their account? It's all very bizarre to me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah most of them are just "for fun" scores and you have to adjust your metrics for success based on your role, i.e. it's ok if your leadership vet isn't topping the damage charts but you need to adjust your zealot if you're dead last in damage. Boss damage is also worth paying attention to.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

withoutclass posted:

I think it's an interesting topic overall. 2/3 damnation games I played today had people just running off solo with zero situational awareness, not healing, etc. I feel like the scoreboard gives a convenient reason for it, but what else could be going on? Maybe a friend playing on their account? It's all very bizarre to me.

I honestly think that for half the people playing like morons, the process involved with installing mods would be beyond them. Navigating folders, opening .bat files and editing text files? Not a chance.

And it certainly doesn't explain it for anyone on console

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Shuka posted:

Hell yeah ogryn and plasma goons fire it up!

Don't jump from level 3 missions to level 5. Each difficulty changed the way I play the game, the challenge will build quickly.

Highly recommend videos about enemy sounds, this might be a good one. Especially the melee cue, you might never get hit by a regular enemy again.

https://youtu.be/XoijlJBxZ3o?si=M2XysJ7bTX20BBf3

Thanks for the advice, hopped into a Heresy mission and it was good. It was tense. Was definitely actually using dodge, calling out targets and all that good stuff. Was a smooth run even when things started getting hairy. Only went down 1 to being chained knocked off a ledge. Just hit rank 25 and feeling great as a Gunlugger build.

Now 4 in a row, all successful. I'm liking this

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 28, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

withoutclass posted:

There's definitely been some "it's gotta be this person's little brother" going on. Or like a friend who came to hang out. I feel like I'd have newbies playing on a lower difficulty, but who knows.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Scoreboard mod doesn't track lives saved pressing F as a dome psyker or a chant Zealot so it's a worthless engine for fueling protagonist lobby fantasies.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dont know how people play zealot. I feel like I'm constantly not quite good enough at things. Maybe the keystones make it shine

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Zealot keystones are a big deal, yeah. Piety gives you 25% crit chance basically all mission long, for example.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://i.imgur.com/FJ73n8Q.mp4
The character name is what really elevates this

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont know how people play zealot. I feel like I'm constantly not quite good enough at things. Maybe the keystones make it shine

we had a long time experienced players on the tide discord hate zealot and leveling it

and then they hit level 24-25 and hit the major damage talents and were like "oh, I get it"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

When leveling sprint slide dodge directly into groups of gunners to force them into melee. Your like maximum velocity man. Flamer is good as hell while getting it to 30

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nah because as much as scoreboard does make people act like morons, most other mods actively make the game a better experience

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
My problem with zealot is clearly stealth is op as gently caress. Not even backstabs just having free repositions/aggrobreaking/toughness. To the point where i don’t want to use it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Homeless Friend posted:

My problem with zealot is clearly stealth is op as gently caress. Not even backstabs just having free repositions/aggrobreaking/toughness. To the point where i don’t want to use it.

you get way less toughness than charge or chorus though lol, and it requires an ability modifier to even get toughness back.

It's very much the offense stealth as opposed to Vet's defensive stealth. Still a solid ability mind you but I always roll my eyes a little when I see a Zealot with it cause 90% of them how no idea how to actually make use of it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The scoreboard mod is great, if only it weren't for the scores. I love having it for the analytics, so I can track how effective changes to my build are. For anyone using it for that sort of purpose, I highly recommend getting the "improved scoreboard" mod which ditches a lot of the arbitrary score keeping poo poo and focuses more on breaking down the stats, so you can see your crit rate, weakspot hits, etc. Would be cool if it also had stuff like the amount of damage blocked by the Psyker bubble, but I'm guessing that info just isn't available.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

SkyeAuroline posted:

You can take thr mod that gives the plasma gun a usable crosshair from my overheated dead hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
On the subject of the scoreboard