Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

Screw the Lex Imperialis, I have a Really Big Paper
To be fair, it´s not like the Imperial Navy or the Astra Militarium will be able to come over to slap you on the hands for being a naughty little Rogue Trader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They might, eventually, but the complaint that sparks such a response would have to a) be something really out of line and b) take forever to go through the administratum before someone with enough authority could ok it.

The odds are the fleet/army never arrives if it gets sent at all but I'm sure there's been a few occasions that a rogue trader did something ill advised in their youth and 500 years later have a hostile imperial fleet chasing them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Fixed it for you :colbert:

But seriously, nice art!

This did remind me that while the game practically beats you over the head with the "unless you know who's signature is on that paper" implication, is the von Valancius Warrant an OG First Edition Big E Warrant? It sounds like it from the way things were written but... that seems like it might be a bigger deal to be holding a legitimate 10,000 year old warrant. Also the game says you're the 20th trader in the line, which suggests an average of 500 years per dynastic head--sounds like it could be true but I'm not always sure what is 'normal' by Warhammer standards.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Warmachine posted:

I was flipping through Adeptus Ridiculous because I have a lot of catching up to do between 3rd/4th Edition and today, and after watching their Rogue Traders episode, I feel like there's a new thread title in there we can just keep in the pocket if the current one (an excellent one) ever grows stale:

Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader: Not to worry, I have a permit

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:psypop:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The warrants in the table top game aren't even all the same thing, some are big pieces of paper, some are data discs, some are voice recordings. So I like to believe that either they're mostly forgeries or the old Emps was just handing them out like candy, signing whatever you had on hand.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Warmachine posted:

This did remind me that while the game practically beats you over the head with the "unless you know who's signature is on that paper" implication, is the von Valancius Warrant an OG First Edition Big E Warrant? It sounds like it from the way things were written but... that seems like it might be a bigger deal to be holding a legitimate 10,000 year old warrant. Also the game says you're the 20th trader in the line, which suggests an average of 500 years per dynastic head--sounds like it could be true but I'm not always sure what is 'normal' by Warhammer standards.

There's a scene with argenta where she wants to look at it because it was written and signed by the emperor and she views it as being a hugely important holy relic.

Whether or not that makes it more important than later warrants of trade is debatable, other than your dynasty having existed longer and therefore had more time to accumulate power and wealth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

The warrants in the table top game aren't even all the same thing, some are big pieces of paper, some are data discs, some are voice recordings. So I like to believe that either they're mostly forgeries or the old Emps was just handing them out like candy, signing whatever you had on hand.

Most Warrants were issued long after his entombment on the Throne. OG Warrants are particularly prestigious.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

combination of both probably, Emps needed every military asset he could get for the Great Crusade and granting some merchant prince some economic and political rights in exchange for expanding the Imperium's borders is probably a decent trade when you are trying to conquer the entire galaxy, on the other hand its been 10,000 loving years, how many of these things could plausibly be genuine?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you don't have a legitimate warrant that just makes you a rogue Rogue Trader which comes with twice the power

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Rogue Trader's greatest power is the right to gently caress off whenever they want to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Most Warrants were issued long after his entombment on the Throne. OG Warrants are particularly prestigious.

AnEdgelord posted:

combination of both probably, Emps needed every military asset he could get for the Great Crusade and granting some merchant prince some economic and political rights in exchange for expanding the Imperium's borders is probably a decent trade when you are trying to conquer the entire galaxy, on the other hand its been 10,000 loving years, how many of these things could plausibly be genuine?

Anything the Emperor actually touched will radiant some psyker/holy energy obvious to all but the most psychically numb humans.

I'm starting to get a sense of the time scale, but for an OG Warrant, it says on a statue on Dargonas there have been 20 Rogue Traders since the dynasty was founded, and even with the absolute best juvenat/augs that's an average of 500 years for each RT which seems a little high.

Speaking of, you finally get Cassia's real age as a result of the Navigator meeting on Dargonas and she's like 19-20 at the oldest, when I'd say that the most generous age for any other member of the party would be measured in at least a century on the lower end. It does a lot to explain why her personality is so skewed the way it is.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you don't have a legitimate warrant that just makes you a rogue Rogue Trader which comes with twice the power

If you embrace heresy while you're at it you could be a rogue traitor Rogue Trader

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'm starting to get a sense of the time scale, but for an OG Warrant, it says on a statue on Dargonas there have been 20 Rogue Traders since the dynasty was founded

They're probably only counting ones who survived long enough to have an official coronation ceremony on Dargonas.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

You have to remember at least a few of those guys got stuck in the warp for like a thousand years without aging a day.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 27, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

even with the absolute best juvenat/augs that's an average of 500 years for each RT which seems a little high.

Yeah that's what lead me to question the Warrant's status, since I don't have a good sense of how good Rejuvenat treatments are. I know there are some centuries old crusty fuckers walking around but it does strain the imagination.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No, I think it's perfectly realistic- sure, 10,000 years might have passed in realspace, but considering how Warp travel can work, I think it's entirely possible that there might have been quite a few unfortunate jumps where a little time in the Warp took much longer outside.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. It really doesn’t seem that unusual an occurrence.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've never tried to get a refund on a game after playing it for over 30 hours, but I'll let you know how it goes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
there are a bunch of Chaos Space Marines that literally fought in the Heresy, including pretty much every named special character, but those guys have been hanging out in a warpstorm since the Heresy which means their personal timeline is quite a bit shorter than 10,000 years

also can't discount the standard "warp jump that ended up being time travel"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They don’t call them the veterans of the Long War for nothing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's one of those things that isn't really codified as clearly but my impression is like 300 to 400 years in real space isn't unrealistic for the wealthiest people. The time you travel in the warp isn't consistent or predictable but you're generally spending days your time for weeks or months normal time.

Either way the sheet of paper on your ship literally predates the Inquisition.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

there are a bunch of Chaos Space Marines that literally fought in the Heresy, including pretty much every named special character, but those guys have been hanging out in a warpstorm since the Heresy which means their personal timeline is quite a bit shorter than 10,000 years

also can't discount the standard "warp jump that ended up being time travel"

I like the wrinkle that the Alpha Legion, which spends most of its time actually doing things in realspace doesn't have very many long war veterans that old still alive and actively looks down on ancient members of legions likee black legion for spending so much time hiding in the warp instead of taking the fight to the imperium.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I like the wrinkle that the Alpha Legion, which spends most of its time actually doing things in realspace doesn't have very many long war veterans that old still alive and actively looks down on ancient members of legions likee black legion for spending so much time hiding in the warp instead of taking the fight to the imperium.
This may also be a long term propaganda bullying campaign in service of a secret loyalist agenda. No way to tell with Alpha Legion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I personally believe half the Alpha Legion are traitors, half are loyalists, and both believe they're manipulating the other half and using them as a front.
(Both halves are actually the same people because they're all double-agents).

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

t3isukone posted:

Pretty sure your game is bugging out-after bringing her to Commoragh she has a whole arc there, and a quest in Act 4.

Guess I'll just replay this game in a year.

:negative:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I think it's worth pointing out that Drusus founded the Calixis sector in the 39th mellenium and the game takes place in the 42nd. So the Von Valencius dynasty have only been in the Koronus Expanse a few thousand years. 20 leaders in that time period feels more sensible.

So I think Dargonus is only counting since the protectorate was founded maybe? I can't recall exactly how they phrase this in game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This may also be a long term propaganda bullying campaign in service of a secret loyalist agenda. No way to tell with Alpha Legion.

No the biggest faction of the Alpha Legion has a single leader who hates endless planning behind the scenes and is reforming the Legion into a machine built to destroy the imperium because even if any still have faith in the emperor, what the imperium has become is a blight on the galaxy.

All the other branches are still around, scheming, and operating, but it's a cool development I think that while still being focused on psy ops and secret operation, the Alpha Legion has thrown off the cloak of darkness and has a full fleet, imperial guard regiments, and titan legions acting against the imperium now.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 28, 2023

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Theodora claims the family flagship is thousands of years old but if you’re a founder then the ship can be a Falchion, a class of ship which is explicitly described in game as only having been introduced five centuries ago. It’s easy enough to imagine pretty much everything about the dynasty being fraudulent if you want to.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alpha legion to me is mostly A reminder that this video exists. https://youtu.be/nHOmlETP8k4?si=x76eSPCSc0XT_cTw

I'm a pretty good painter myself but the efficiency that this dude paints with makes me feel like I've wasted my time painting miniatures.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Eifert Posting posted:

It's one of those things that isn't really codified as clearly but my impression is like 300 to 400 years in real space isn't unrealistic for the wealthiest people. The time you travel in the warp isn't consistent or predictable but you're generally spending days your time for weeks or months normal time.

Either way the sheet of paper on your ship literally predates the Inquisition.

some of abelard's dialogue and family tree implies he is 400+ years old

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alpha legion also has space marine women in their ranks too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ancient Bunker in Winterscale Domain

- turrets no longer freeze in melee range, I assume it was fixed to prevent that cheese strategy
- 100% armor and 10 Deflection, plus something that even worked against Idira's scream attack? It looks like the artificial modifier eliminates all damage.

- A -40 skill check for tech means you need Pasqal to turn off the turrets, or your RT built for tech

I am very surprised there was an option to shut down the encounter by using skills which is a marked improvement over most of their high difficulty encounters.

The whole idea of finding a treacherous abandoned place, exploring and looting it while reading some diary/notes/reports was more fun then most of the basic combat encounters.

They easily could re-use that same map at least another 4-5 times with variations on the theme to give some point to the systems that currently have a couple of planets with nothing to explore on them. Fill one with cultists, one with mutants, one with admech stuff, and I'd say xenos but the elf fights suck until you've got a strong handle on advanced combat encounters.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

No the biggest faction of the Alpha Legion has a single leader who hates endless planning behind the scenes and is reforming the Legion into a machine built to destroy the imperium because even if any still have faith in the emperor, what the imperium has become is a blight on the galaxy.

All the other branches are still around, scheming, and operating, but it's a cool development I think that while still being focused on psy ops and secret operation, the Alpha Legion has thrown off the cloak of darkness and has a full fleet, imperial guard regiments, and titan legions acting against the imperium now.
Modern 40k developments like this are cool, but it is very hard not to make jokes rooted in memes from the stagnation period.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Another thing I really enjoy about Argenta, but really any Soldier->Arch-Militant, is that you can get those sweet stacking dodge and armor buffs, so you end up pretty much impossible to hit for ranged enemies and even if something hits you in melee you've got 250% armor.

e: Also, lol, the heretics on Eufrates II threw down their arms and let me execute them because I'm just that big a badass. Have fun facing your gods in the warp after that bit of cowardice, fuckos.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 28, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the main rogue trader in the 'rogue trader' book series was 500-ish years old, but I'm not sure if that's age with warp fuckery or actual age. He mentions having a bunch of rejuv treatments. He is very focused on his successor, but I don't recall if that was because the rejuv treatments wouldn't work anymore or he was just getting run down psychologically. I had the impression in 40k that rejuv treatments could make you last potentially indefinite, but if you didn't die from the innumerable deadly things in the universe most people just struggled to even want to continue going on after a certain point.

I am enjoying the Sea of Souls book recommended earlier. It starts off with fun naval action and I like how much the author is dealing with the absurd size of 40k vessels. The author mentions how it can take hours for a proper capital ship to be destroyed even with concentrated fire just from their sheer density so it's not always advisable to even try. With the way the ships are gigantic and thousands of years old I always disliked when other authors would just make just explode after a couple of hits past the shield with all hands lost. It feels more proper that you can mission kill a ship and have it drifting with weapons disabled and out of the fight without a big explosion that incinerates everything, and it better explains how ships survive thousands of years of combat if they can usually be fixed and recovered if the battle is won.

What's a good article/video/book to read on the universe developments they keep mentioning in this book about a primarch coming back and grand crusade launched?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think the main rogue trader in the 'rogue trader' book series was 500-ish years old, but I'm not sure if that's age with warp fuckery or actual age. He mentions having a bunch of rejuv treatments. He is very focused on his successor, but I don't recall if that was because the rejuv treatments wouldn't work anymore or he was just getting run down psychologically. I had the impression in 40k that rejuv treatments could make you last potentially indefinite, but if you didn't die from the innumerable deadly things in the universe most people just struggled to even want to continue going on after a certain point.

I am enjoying the Sea of Souls book recommended earlier. It starts off with fun naval action and I like how much the author is dealing with the absurd size of 40k vessels. The author mentions how it can take hours for a proper capital ship to be destroyed even with concentrated fire just from their sheer density so it's not always advisable to even try. With the way the ships are gigantic and thousands of years old I always disliked when other authors would just make just explode after a couple of hits past the shield with all hands lost. It feels more proper that you can mission kill a ship and have it drifting with weapons disabled and out of the fight without a big explosion that incinerates everything, and it better explains how ships survive thousands of years of combat if they can usually be fixed and recovered if the battle is won.

What's a good article/video/book to read on the universe developments they keep mentioning in this book about a primarch coming back and grand crusade launched?

Most of the modern storyline got advanced in campaign books for the tabletop instead of novels unfortunately. The Eldar helped wake the ultramarines primarch in time for chaos to split the galaxy in two with impassable warp storms by exploding Cadia. Gulliman rallied and took command of Terra, starting a great crusade that launched forward and brought a semblance of order back to his half of the imperium, whike Dante of the blood angels is ruling the other side. Then he went home. They announced and ended this indomitus crusade at the start of 8th edition, and the dawn of fire series is supposed to elaborate on what went down during it.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 28, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Most of the modern storyline got advanced in campaign books for the tabletop instead of novels unfortunately. The Eldar helped wake the ultramarines primarch in time for chaos to split the galaxy in two with impassable warp storms by exploding Cadia. Gulliman rallied and took command of Terra, starting a great crusade that launched forward and brought a semblance of order back to his half of the imperium, whike Dante of the blood angels is ruling the other side. Then he went home. They announced and ended this indomitus crusade at the start of 8th edition, and the dawn of fire series is supposed to elaborate on what went down during it.

is that contemporary with the RT game? Is that why they make some mention of not seeing anyone from the imperium proper in a long time because they are cut off by warp storms?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

is that contemporary with the RT game? Is that why they make some mention of not seeing anyone from the imperium proper in a long time because they are cut off by warp storms?

If I recall it wasn't intended to take place during it, but they've adjusted segments like that to imply the game takes place after the great rift opening, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lmao that Iconoclast lets you perfectly clearly understand what Nocturne is telling you in Act 3. Apparently the nice guys get +9000 IQ in 40k.