Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

but healers fight in it and the previous poster said that in wow games healers do not fight

nah i've seen Scholars. They never turn the page they have open, makes me think it really is just for show. I remember going to a relative's house a few years ago, looking over their bookshelf, and seeing a beautifully-bound copy of moby dick. I picked it up to look at, and heard the telltale crack of a book spine that had never been opened before. And that's ff14 scholars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Force psychological therapy is force suggestion applied with a trowel.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So was this the worst year for big-name games? I don't mean in a "Call of Duty 2023 was so mediocre it was forgettable" sense, but in a "Multiple large releases graced the bottom of metacritic's ratings" way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please present your working

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the worst year for AAA games was 1823

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Randalor posted:

So was this the worst year for big-name games? I don't mean in a "Call of Duty 2023 was so mediocre it was forgettable" sense, but in a "Multiple large releases graced the bottom of metacritic's ratings" way.

I think Diablo IV, and Starfield were pretty disappointing, but overall this was a great year for gaming across the board.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah if nothing else the flops only stand out because of how much seriously great stuff came out this year. Starfield and D4 may have stood more of a chance if they weren’t surrounded by constant greatness.

MW3 sounds like a turd from any angle though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm not convinced either D4 or starfield would've stood out much at all, even if the landscape were utterly barren

even if you didn't have the overpowering brightness of BG3's halo, i think everyone can see starfield's awful writing, tedious gameplay, barren world, and glitchy held together by duct tape engine and realize that the rot has set in

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

goatface posted:

Please present your working

In no particular order:
Redfall
Starfield
Gollum
Star Trek: Resurgence
Skull Island: Rise of Kong
Total War Pharaoh

Those are just off the top of my head, and I'm not saying there weren't solid titles released this year, just that the games that had big names behind them or giant media pushes that turned out to be hot garbage seemed to be more this year than previous years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

redfall and starfield are the only really big names that got significant money dumped behind advertising them on that list. gollum got a game awards trailer the previous year that i remember, but i didn't see much of resurgence, kong, or pharaoh beyond, like, a short reveal trailer during one of the many game reveal shows earlier in the year

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Vermain posted:

i'm not convinced either D4 or starfield would've stood out much at all, even if the landscape were utterly barren

even if you didn't have the overpowering brightness of BG3's halo, i think everyone can see starfield's awful writing, tedious gameplay, barren world, and glitchy held together by duct tape engine and realize that the rot has set in

Lol Bethesda employees are going to walk around for the next few years holding a grudge against BG3 for “stealing” all the GOTY awards from Starfield.

Todd isn’t going to learn a single thing from this is he.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Redfail, and starfail. A pattern emerges

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

but healers fight in it and the previous poster said that in wow games healers do not fight

having regretfully tried wow again twice this year (retail and classic SoD) healers in that game do not fight the enemies in the dungeon but instead fight their teammates trying to desperately keep them alive through their own stupidity while also fighting with their own mana bar as it disappears after every loving pull

it wasn't fun in either version

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Lol Bethesda employees are going to walk around for the next few years holding a grudge against BG3 for “stealing” all the GOTY awards from Starfield.

Todd isn’t going to learn a single thing from this is he.

inside baseball is that part of the issue with starfield is that their previous development strategy of "just go ask todd about anything if you don't know what the answer to X lore/game design/whatever thing is" started to falter as todd spent less and less time in the office, so he seems to be in the process of distancing himself from the production end anyways

if they don't replace emil before TES6 hits alpha then i have next to no hope in it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Redfail, and starfail. A pattern emerges

also Babylon's Fail

God is clearly punishing us for the delistment of Transformers: The Fall of Cybertron

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

inside baseball is that part of the issue with starfield is that their previous development strategy of "just go ask todd about anything if you don't know what the answer to X lore/game design/whatever thing is" started to falter as todd spent less and less time in the office, so he seems to be in the process of distancing himself from the production end anyways

if they don't replace emil before TES6 hits alpha then i have next to no hope in it
:lol: if it turns out that Todd Howard was actually what was keeping the games even halfway decent all along

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the people hated him because he said the truth

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot Redfall was a thing that exists.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

In no particular order:
Redfall
Starfield
Gollum
Total War Pharaoh

Those are just off the top of my head, and I'm not saying there weren't solid titles released this year, just that the games that had big names behind them or giant media pushes that turned out to be hot garbage seemed to be more this year than previous years.
Starfield wasn't really savaged by Metacritic and Skull Island and Gollum weren't what anyone should consider big name games. Literally never heard of that Star Trek game either.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a Telltale-style game by some former Telltale people. I'd hardly call it a big name game, unless you count Star Trek as being a big name, when the series has had countless games, many bad (there's some good ones though)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Trek Online is about the only relevant Star Trek game right now, but it's an MMORPG and is really overwhelming with a lot of poorly designed systems and mechanics, on top of a pay to win cash shop and too much grinding.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

redfall and starfield are the only really big names that got significant money dumped behind advertising them on that list. gollum got a game awards trailer the previous year that i remember, but i didn't see much of resurgence, kong, or pharaoh beyond, like, a short reveal trailer during one of the many game reveal shows earlier in the year

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Starfield wasn't really savaged by Metacritic and Skull Island and Gollum weren't what anyone should consider big name games. Literally never heard of that Star Trek game either.

I saw ads for those games all the time leading up to their releases, which is why they stuck out in my mind. As far as Starfield, all I remember hearing when it came out was how bland it was, I hadn't actually checked the metacritic review for it, though their one 10 rating seems to be from a reviewer that gave high ratings out like candy, so... :shrug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was the budget stellaris star trek game this year?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silent Hill Ascension too

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Randalor posted:

In no particular order:
Redfall
Starfield
Gollum
Total War Pharaoh

Nearly half that list was shovelware from the start, not even AA. And other than Redfall and Starfield none were really expected to fly off the shelves.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Randalor posted:

I saw ads for those games all the time leading up to their releases, which is why they stuck out in my mind. As far as Starfield, all I remember hearing when it came out was how bland it was, I hadn't actually checked the metacritic review for it, though their one 10 rating seems to be from a reviewer that gave high ratings out like candy, so... :shrug:

it was a combination of the game itself being too large for most reviewers on tight schedules to complete a full playthrough (so they didn't work through the thin patina of content right away), and a general industry-wide sentiment that bethesda games are supposed to be colorful turn-your-brain-off sims where you can scoot around a big open world and shoot things for loot, so the fact that it broadly delivered on those ideas in the first few hours matched with prerelease expectations

public opinion has soured considerably since launch, probably faster than any game i can remember, since people have seen how dry and empty the NG+ content is and the slew of far better written games that came out around its release has pushed their threadbare writing into the cold light of day

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This is cool

https://x.com/itwhiffed/status/1739899500603605243?s=46

https://x.com/itwhiffed/status/1739900853509910547?s=46

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Gollum and King Kong are interesting because those are big name IPs that went to completely unqualified developers. :iiam:

2023 was definitely an interesting year for video game releases. Both for better and for worse. Bad games were worth talking about (Redfall, Gollum, etc), average games were worth talking about because they were so disappointing (D4, Starfield), and the massive list of good games were varied and discussion-worthy (look at the GOTY thread if you haven't yet).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Gollum and King Kong are interesting because those are big name IPs that went to completely unqualified developers. :iiam:

king kong's copyright is a huge tangled mess, with different incarnations of the character commanding different IP rights. the licensee behind the kong game was joe devito, who owns some kind of "skull island universe" thing that's mostly remained in comic book form, but his company made a recent concerted effort to push the IP out into the wild and try to get some more value added on to it, possibly due to the resurgence in kong interest thanks to universal's monsterverse

it's basically the old "send the license to LJN and see what comes out" practice from the NES days but put into modern shovelware form

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Vermain posted:

At this point I am convinced that Morrowind somehow managed to become an all-time great game entirely by accident.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Randalor posted:

In no particular order:
Redfall
Starfield
Gollum
Total War Pharaoh

That Star Trek game is actually super fun for what it is, basically a telltale game. If you want to play a season of pretty good Star Trek, I recommend it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Starfield's consensus was fun but forgettable until Bethsheda flipped out and started arguing with people in the Steam reviews, then it became the industry laughingstock

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starfield absolutely had the misfortune of coming between Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk: We Actually Finished The Game This Time Edition which exacerbated all its flaws, but it also just was a massive misstep on several fundamental levels.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you know you've hosed up when your full priced AAA game is 30% off on steam's winter sale less than 4 months post-launch

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Starfield was still one of the 12 highest grossing games on Steam in 2023 even with the caveat that it was on Game Pass day and date. I think a lot of folks just bought it recently and/or have started to actually boot it up rather than reviews ticking over to negative due to Bethesda responding to reviews which has become somewhat of an industry standard practice.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kerrzhe posted:

since there's so many people playing monster hunter world again i hopped on to do some SOS's and joined someone doing ruiner nergi and shara ishvalda quest, was able to join his lobby along with another person, and we got him down on the 3rd try :toot:

feels so nice to help others out, love this game

Shara Ishvalda is still my favorite final story boss for a first playthrough. Such a cool boss encounter with a just uncanny enough design to look threatening as well as feeling threatening.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Starfield was still one of the 12 highest grossing games on Steam in 2023 even with the caveat that it was on Game Pass day and date.

sure, though the more pertinent question for me is how much those sales matched up with internal revenue expectations; it reputedly had a budget in the $200m+ range, and that's a big chunk of change to spend for what's been a lukewarm response

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

At this point I am convinced that Morrowind somehow managed to become an all-time great game entirely by accident.

Same. They deliberately have been trying to design away from the stuff that made it work and laugh at those things like they were mistakes they would never make again today.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's no industry thread so I'll put it here Killmonday games laid of some people and reduced size (probably for the better as they're a boutique adventure game company with one hit to their name):
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/362680/view/3882730411564636503

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Starfield was still one of the 12 highest grossing games on Steam in 2023 even with the caveat that it was on Game Pass day and date. I think a lot of folks just bought it recently and/or have started to actually boot it up rather than reviews ticking over to negative due to Bethesda responding to reviews which has become somewhat of an industry standard practice.

Starfield sold well entirely because of the name "Bethesda" being associated with it, and the goodwill the company has built from their previous games, as well as an absolutely massive marketing campaign that was *very* careful about not revealing too much about what the game actually was and wasn't.

People point to sales figures as if that has anything to do with a game's quality, especially when it comes from a company with decades of well known, well-appreciated releases behind them. Of course people are just going to buy the game based on the company's record. If Steven Spielberg took a poo poo in a paper bag and just put a rolling camera on that bag for two hours, and there was a giant marketing push for the movie where they framed it as "the boldest release from legendary director Steven Spielberg" blah blah, but didn't actually reveal what it was, then yes it would sell like crazy. Doesn't mean it would be a good movie.

The fact that Bethesda developers have been not just "responding," but responding argumentatively and defensively to negative reviews, simply reveals how thin skinned and unprofessional they are, which is an entirely separate but still informative issue.